Acrobatics

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Jondd19

Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:29 pm

Hello! I noticed that there is currently no coded skill for acrobatics in game, and I felt I could offer some guidelines based on Dexterity for acrobatic manuevers. Feel free to say if you feel like there needs to be any changes or simply to ignore them, they are just something I felt could be a useful tool for rp for those interested. Here is a list I came up with so far.

Rolling for Dex: These are if you wish to roll for a manuever, what you would hope to get on a roll to successfully complete it.

25: Cartwheel
40: Handstand
50: Backflip, Landing gracefully from a fall
60: Front flip, general Trapeze style stuff (swinging on bars, balancing on ropes, etc)
70: Successive front/backflips in midair, balancing on small points such as fence posts
80: Take a few steps running along a wall
90: Take a few steps running directly up a wall

Dex Stat: These are guidelines for what would be an automatic success if you have a certain amount of Dex at all, eventually you simply won't fail cartwheels unless you wish to roll for them after all.

50 Dex: Consecutive Carthweels
60 Dex: Walking on Hands
70 Dex: Backflips
80 Dex: Frontflips
90 Dex: General Trapeze style stuff, Balancing on Small points
95 Dex: Wallrunning horizontally or vertically, limited to a max of around 3 steps either way

Fairly new to the game (First post, whoo!) so I might have misjudged some of the requisites, so as I said feel free to post thoughts! I will edit the list as neccessary for additions/changes

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:40 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Jondd19, and welcome to TI!

We currently don't have acrobatics because we're not sure what functional benefit it gives to the game (though we do have dance). Players, do we want acrobatics, and if we do, what would make the skill attractive/useful? Can we mix it with something like juggling or a more expansive term and come up with something for that?

Kind regards,
Kinaed

PS: This is fine, but please in the future post suggestions on the Ideas and Requests forum. :)

Elizabethany

Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:14 am

I play that Beth is an acrobat, and I use a combination of dexterity, acting (which uses the perform command) and dancing to represent it. Personally, I don't think that it adds much more on top of those to have another skill. Though as a performance skill, I generally RP out practicing ahead of time and don't tend to do rolls in performances. Put rolls in with preparing anything ahead of time for people becomes much more difficult. If you do want to roll, we have the roll command though, which you can just roll against stats or skills for success/failure, which may be easier than keeping track of rolls yourself.

Kinaed

Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:13 pm

Should dance maybe be upgraded to 'performance' and include juggling, acrobatics, etc?

Elizabethany

Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:27 pm

That would work well for me, but I know a lot more people have dance skill for social dancing. I'd honestly be fairly happy if people just could do social dancing according to their own preferences, and then the skill was actual performance dancing, performance other stuff. But then I get annoyed by random people asking for dancing lessons every time they hear she's a dance master.

Kinaed

Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:29 pm

I'm wondering what the skill ought to be called... 'performance'? Hmm.

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:19 pm

Or perhaps make Dancing/Acrobatics a Guild skill like others where you could learn up to 36 to represent social/casual use but then above and beyond that is assumed to be actual training with the Trobadours and such?

Though the other question here, is if it does represent "Acrobatics" in a wider sense, would that include like parkour? :lol:

Kinaed

Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:35 pm

Well, all guildskills are like that - less than 36 is usually learnable by the populace (ie, up to Adept). It's true mastery that's limited to guilds...

Barring a few things like tCant and Eld... *grin*

• Information