PSA: Wealth and Death XP

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:46 pm

So that hopefully No one has to gain the pleasant surprise I have, Do not Purchase wealth twice or it will prevent you from gaining Death XP.

I reported through bug board that a character of mine was not gaining any death xp, despite having gained multiple ranks in multiple skills while In-Game. Dodge from 0 to 12, Footwork from 0 to 25 and Dagger from 0 to 29 to name a few. I was promptly told through Bug Board that this was not a bug or a mistake, and that it was intentional. When I asked how it was explained to me that it was due to the fact I had purchased wealth and silver. Of course it was explained in a more technical way and I have no idea how to word it in layman's terms, however I will be adding a log of the conversation at the bottom for those interested and so that it isn't just onesided.

However no matter what, this is came as a massive shock to me. No where in Help Death XP, Help Purchase or Help Wealth is it explained that purchasing a large amount of silver and wealth will prevent death xp from gaining. Furthermore it makes no sense that such a punishment should be in place. Not to mention the XP I spent to purchase that wealth was Death XP from a previous alt.

As such I am bringing this up here to not only serve as a PSA for those who may not know, since there is no way to know until you are already affected, but to hopefully also see about correcting this intentional code. Hopefully I am not the only one who did not know of this and am not the only one who feels like this feels wrong.

Howdy staff,

I have noticed that on this character they are not accumulating any death xp
at all. I know this is incorrect since there are several skills I have
trained this character in that they did not start with, such as dagger, dodge
and footwork, and appraise while it was inplace. They've also increased
several skills they had at start, such cooking and haggle/mercantislism.

Even if it is a small amount, there should still be some amount of Death XP
gained. Heck my GI has death xp somehow even though he's barely increased
any skills.

Clearly this is a bug of somekind and I felt it worth bringing up, as if my
character died tommorrow they would have 0 death xp.

-Az wealth and silver purchases do not count towards death xp.

Vicannia: I'm quite aware of that Azarial, hence why I did not mention them,
and instead opted for skills which have been raised from 0 or their initial
starting point of 36, which means there has been xp sunk into them. I do
know what I am talking about.

-Az in buying that much silver, and wealth, you hvae converted enough rpxp
into bonus xp that your skills and stats no longer cost rpxp--ergo no death
xp.

Vicannia: That seems odd considering majority of that xp that was spent on
purchasing wealth was death xp from another character and as such not gained
through rpxp. Furthermore if this is the case, then it needs to be clearly
outlined in helpfiles for Death XP or Wealth as it mentions nothing about
purchasing wealth or silver will prevent you from gaining Death XP. If
anything that seems like a massive oversight on staff's end. Why have a
command in place that can essentially make a character's existence
meaningless at death as they will gain nothing from the xp spent on improving
their character.

-Az becuase silver enters the general economy, and is not removed on death
like skills and abilities.
Lurks the Forums

Pixie

Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:29 pm

I believe once you've spent enough RPXP on raising skills, etc., you'll eventually work past the wealth and silver purchases and start gaining death XP again. Was how it worked for me, anyway. I stopped gaining death XP for awhile after purchasing wealth, then started gaining it again quite awhile later.

Temi

Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:22 pm

This isn't explained very well. Let me try to clear things up.

When new characters start, they get approximately 50k bonus xp for starting. This xp is locked to the character: it isn't shared over the account and it isn't included with death xp to be returned upon death. This is fine because the next character will get their own 50k.

Therefore, characters only start earning death xp after they have gotten past 50k xp spent.

However, not all spends are eligible for death xp. Silver and wealth are in that boat because the silver can continue on in the world after the death of the character - it isn't an investment in the character themself. So, expenditures in silver and wealth don't count towards the 50k you have to spend before you're out of bonus xp. They shouldn't count against the amount needed and make it any worse, but it does make it harder to get a feel for how much relevant xp you have spent, because large portions of it don't count.

Additionally, if more bonus xp is acquired for whatever reason - staff grants, qp conversion, etc, then that amount also needs to be reached in eligible purchases increases with it. This creates some additional confusions at times, but isn't the question at hand here.

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:04 pm

Ok when explained that way it makes alot more sense and I can understand how I could not be earning death xp... Though it still needs to be defined in the appropriate helpfiles as that is a big thing than negatively impact a person.
Lurks the Forums

• Information