[Poll] What Do You Think About TI's Wounds System

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

What do you think about TI's wound system?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:14 pm

It is generally too onerous to to be wounded.
15%
It is only too onerous in extreme situations, so we should look at fixing that.
5%
A death roll if a player were too severely wounded on multiple locations, like after a bomb, would be good.
10%
The wound system is good at getting people to RP their wounds realistically.
40%
Wounds are just a hassle I don't want to deal with at all.
15%
The wound system is pretty good and I only see then need for minor tweaks.
15%

Total votes: 20
Misstery

Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:19 pm

I like the idea of having it heal regardless if you log in but quicker if you are. This provides incentive for RP with deterrence.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:13 pm

Thanks for that feedback. I agree that wounds probably should heal either way, and maybe that being active should enhance the result rather than be required for the result.
I'll have to discuss with the staff how to boil this feedback all together. Thank you to everyone who participated in the thread for helping us improve the system.

Zeita

Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:47 pm

I missed the poll at the polling time, clearly- however, my stance is that I'd like to see death rolls at appropriately realistic times. I find it rather unrealistic seeing people take serious injuries over and over again (particuclarly at events) with deaths being so few and far between.

However, I am generally pretty content with where the wound system itself sits.

Snefru

Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:57 am

I am in full agreement with Zeita on both points.

Andruid

Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:09 pm

And as long as Zabriskan's Combustion can be used to severely wound an entire room full of people (as happened last Magebane), I absolutely DISAGREE with Zeita or anyone else who might favor death rolls. I can't see death rolls as being anything but harmful to a game in which death is, by policy, supposed to be a role playing experience -- and ideally a meaningful one, at that, precisely because it's permanent. Anyone who IS severely wounded has the option to choose death for their own character. Instant death caused by spells cast from afar quite frankly goes against the spirit of the game, so no, thank you. Not interested.

Zeita

Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:49 pm

Andruid, I agree with you that the Magebane incident was beyond what should be possible in the system. I don't know the particulars of that spell as I've never had access to it, but it certainly seems to have not worked as per TI's 'magic itself is not lethal' theme. However, that is a different subject, and my answer above would certainly be predicated on an 'if all other systems are working as they should be' situation.

My take on the setting is that life should be cheap with death a realistic possibility at any time. If we don't have a system that matches up to that, it dilutes TI's theme and I think we've unfortunately moved away from that.

All of that said, I'm likely alone in that stance and I'm not about to enforce it upon others.

Andruid

Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:03 pm

You're clearly not completely alone, which is why I've chosen to firmly state my own opinions.

I've spent most of my time in TI playing the riskier, grittier side of the game, and while I agree that the threat of permanent death makes the game more exciting, I'm not sure death rolls would even have the effect you desire. Risks already come with a high price in TI, and enforcing code that heightens those risks further may only serve to deter people from taking more of them. I also think that trying to convince people to be more frivolous about their characters' existence, especially in an environment where we may want MORE stability, not less, could be counterproductive. The fact is, we are sorely in need of stable Knights and Inquisitors and GLs -- the high-profile roles that are often targeted the most.

There are other solutions, too, such as permanently lowering stats or creating permanent wounds or scars that don't just disappear after a period of time, to represent truly life-changing events. Because death IS permanent in TI, and we do still want people to take risks, I think there would need to be more of a stepwise approach rather than a binary "death or not" one.

Ultimately, though, I'd much rather see the riskier, grittier aspect of the game supported through exciting roleplay, edgy characters, and great emotes and stories -- not by enforced code that could kill someone via dumb luck or accident. How do we attract players into roles that already come with a huge amount of risk? How do we address the concerns voiced by Goodryke's player and build more trust, for the sake of a better storytelling environment?

In a similar vein, I would also be more enthusiastic about the disease system if I had a better sense, as a player, of cause and effect. So far, my experience with disease is that it feels OOCly random, and as a result, my reactive RP resulting from it also feels cheap and disingenuous, making it difficult for me to derive something meaningful from the experience.

• Information