Ahalin and Medical Treatment

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:07 pm

So I recently had a character who was arrested and put into ahalin, with 1 hp to their name and at least two wounds that were bleeding. I spent two hours on after the arrest, the following day I spent 7.5 hours on, followed by another 8 hours the next day, all of which were spent during the "Prime Time" of the game and with rp on and whoinvis off. Never got a peep until the third day after the arrest. Prior to this rp, I tried to request that my character be allowed to bleed out in ahalin, as it was clear their wounds were not treated, and that no effort was made on the end of the captors to get treatment done as I am aware of at least 2 different physicians who were on during the times I spent on. In a realistic scenario the person would bleed out, and if not that would likely be suffering severe infections given the state of ahalin. Of course my request was denied, though the reasons for denial are what I am wishing to see changed.

As it stands there is one sentence in Help Jail that refers to how prisoners get medical treatment.
Prisoners in need of medical care receive it unless there is a specific reason they would not as OOCly stated by the captors.
I've always read this as prisoners can not be denied medical care, and I've always rped it as such, that if a prisoner is wounded in the arrest, they are to immediately receive medical care once in ahalin. HOWEVER come to find out, this is not how staff interpret the policy. The way I was told was that wounds are seen as treated while a prisoner is in Ahalin. This does not mean that the wounds are actually codely treated, but that icly they would be and as such must be rped as such.

This would be fine and dandy if the wounds were actually codely treated, but they aren't. This means the prisoner is still suffering coded penalties for having the coded wounds. These coded penalties would affect the the prisoners attempts at most anything. Let's say a mage is brought to the pyre, still with their coded wounds and penalties. Their mage buddies plan something extensive to try and free prisoner mage at the pyre. These penalties would play negatively into the prisoner's favor if such an event were to occur, and according to policy they can not even rp that the wounds are there, or that the penalties exist. That seems wrong in my opinion. From a simple "Winning" frame of mind, it is more beneficial for the captors to not treat any wounds prisoners receive, as it lessens the risk/threat they may pose. And policy would allow this to happen as it currently stands, meaning captors if they were spiteful enough could use ooc means to benefit them icly, and get away with it.

Hopefully I'm not the only one seeing why this is so wrong. Do I believe our current players who play captors would abuse this? No not at all. But the risk is there. My proposition is that the policy be reworded and redone to mean that medical aid must be administered to prisoners codely, and if said treatment is not given, it is within the prisoner's right to request that their character succumb to the wounds if said wounds are not treated within... 48 hours? Maybe Longer? Of course this would require that the prisoner is on for a substantial amount of time, during times of day when there are people on who could handle it. Lets be honest, middle of the night and early morning there is typically not that many players on, let alone any who could react to this. It would be unfair to penalize the captors for a time when they are likely sleeping or working. Of course the request would be presented to staff through the request board, and that means staff could investigate the time the prisoner spent on and whatnot.

Though this is just my partial idea for a potential fix to this somewhat broken policy. I imagine there are people who have a more solid/better fix.
Lurks the Forums

Dice

Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:24 pm

I would read this policy as: "Wounds are cleaned and bound/given very basic care in Ahalin but not properly treated."

So no one bleeds to death, emergency procedures are typically completed, but people also don't receive full levels of care unless a PC doctor is called. This makes sense both ICly, as it allows people to deny medical care to prisoners if they would ICly do so, and codewise. (Since codewise untreated wounds WILL heal on their own, just more slowly, which seems an appropriate way to represent this.)

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:52 pm

Given how medicine and wounds work now, I can understand that point of view dice, though as far as I'm aware this same policy existed with the prior wound system, where wounds did not heal on their own, so it was even more detrimental to the captive then than it is now.

Though even if the policy is not changed, I do believe it needs reworded to be clearer. For a policy that plays so in favor of the captor it needs more than a single sentence. As it's showing people will interpret that one sentence differently. Mind you alot of changes to jail policy as of recently have played into the favor of the captor, such as escape attempts no longer being able to be initiated by the captive but people on the outside.
Lurks the Forums

• Information