RP Quests - Brainstorming Thread

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:44 am

Greetings,

So, as you know, we've installed the City Council into Lithmore. The next step is to provide hooks for people to get involved, and we plan to do this by way of a system where all players in the game might get a personal RP quest to improve or damage certain city metrics each week for a reward. (PS: please remember non-council members CAN vote for a nominal IP cost).

We're imagining this will work in a manner that each player, once per cycle, gets assigned a specific metric, and is provided an opportunity, perhaps like this:

[RP Quest] Economics: Kinaed notices an opportunity to make a profit in a business opportunity, but knows she can't get it off the ground unless prices are depressed. Goal: Economics poor or lower. Reward: 500 silver.

Then, at the end of the period, if the goal is reached, the character will get 500 silver.

However, to be able to implement this, we'll need ideas for each City Metric, both positive and negative. Can players help?

The structure of a RP Quest would be:
------------------
Offer:
Goal:
Reward:
Failure Message:
Success Message:

------------------

For this to be viable, I imagine we'd need at least 6 (3 positive, three negative) opportunities for each metric. The economics one is easy, but it gets harder with things like Piety. They also have to be generic enough that most people would say "Yep, that's something I want to try to do". Obviously, if the player doesn't want to participate, they just won't get the reward (and some players may accidentally achieve their quests even by being idle).

Anyone want to take a crack at helping us build RP Quests? If so, please use the structure above!

Silrie

Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:27 am

This. Is. Absolutely. Phenominal!

Will begin thinking up rp quests; I expect you'll get a whole lot of awesome ones once people start seeing this topic, but I'll try anyway!

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:00 am

I second Silrie's statement. While I have little interest in city metrics on my current characters, and have little desire to really dabble in the system, this would at least give me some way to get involved in it without really getting involved.

I'll try to think up some when I have the time.
Lurks the Forums

Dice

Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:18 am

I'm interested in generating some ideas, but some guideline questions:

1) Should the rewards for subversion quests be higher than support quests? I'd say so - 2x perhaps?

2) What currency are acceptable rewards? Money clearly, but IP? Ranks in skills? XP? QP?

3) Is it reasonable to have questions with a penalty if you fail and a reward if you succeed?

Kinaed

Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:18 am

re: Dice

1. I have no stance on this, happy to see what people suggest. Will tweak things for balance, etc, if required or as standards come in. Right now, we're just looking to generate some brainstorming.
2. Again, this is for brainstorming, so I would encourage people to just suggest what makes sense to them.
3. I'd rather not put penalties in for failure because I want the system to be optional - that said, penalties for failure might at least provide some explanation about why someone is a subverter rather than people just assuming they're being selfish when they enact a subversion quest.

I don't want this thread to sideways by going into too much discussion about the system and how it works. I'm really looking for people to give me brain dumps of what they think would be fun and reasonable quests for each metric, up and down, but perhaps we can start another thread to discuss RP Quests and how they might function in deeper context. I'll kick that off.

RP Quest ideas per city metric here please!

Klapman

Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:10 pm

Offer: A friend comes up to <player>, complaining about a long, pointless patdown by the Reeves. Could <player> try and get the Reeves to settle down a bit?
Goal: Reduce Lawfulness to Average
Reward: +10 IP
Failure Message: The Reeves continue their work, entirely unhindered by the efforts of <player>.
Success Message: The Reeves, having been chastised thoroughly, loosen their security policies to meet the needs of the Lithmorran people.
Characters: Jamus Grunsky, Takaro Sanche, Renton Feland

Dice

Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:02 pm

Domain: Lawfulness

When to fire: When lawfulness is anywhere below midpoint
Offer: $n has spotted a wanted thief prowling around $s house, but the Reeves are overworked and understaffed. If $e could just ensure they had the manpower to set up an ambush, $e could collect that bounty reward...
Goal: Raise lawfulness.
Reward: 250 silver bounty
Failure Message: Try as $n might, $e just can't get enough Reeves spared from their other cases to get the thief caught... the bounty goes unclaimed for another day.
Success Message: $n is able to divert enough Reeves from their other cases to catch that thief, and the bounty is $s!

When to fire: When lawfulness is very high (80+)
Who to offer it to: Non-Lithmorrans
Offer: $n has felt singled out more than once by the Lithmorran members of the Reeves, who seem to be looking for trouble anywhere they can find it. It's time to knock them down a peg... and maybe, just maybe, enjoy some gratitude from anonymous benefactors...
Goal: Lower lawfulness
Reward: 500 silver
Failure message: $n can't seem to dissuade the Reeves from their aggressive policies.
Success message: With a few words in the right ears, $n embarrasses a few overzealous Reeves - and enjoys some small donations from their previous victims by way of thanks.

Domain: Morale

When to fire: When Morale is below midpoint
Who to offer it to: Non-Freemen
Offer: $n's employees/servants have been making a shambles of everything lately - some hungover, some depressed, and some fearful, they're not functioning anywhere near their best. It's time to lift the city's spirits to get business back on track.
Goal: Raise morale the MOST this cycle.
Reward: 1000 silver
Failure message: $n's attempts to lift the spirits of $s workers are an utter failure.
Success message: With the judicious application of mirth, $n bolsters $s workers' cheer and sees productivity flourish in turn.

Domain: Piety

When to fire: When piety is at anywhere below midpoint
Offer: $n has been seeing a lot of sinful behavior in their neighborhood of late - excessive drunkenness, sexual looseness, and casual immodesty. Out of concern for hearts and souls, $e wants to make a big push to remind Lithmore of the importance of faith.
Goal: Raise piety the MOST this cycle.
Reward: +1 weekly IP for 1 IC year
Failure message: $n can't seem to get those around $m to think about the religious implications of their behavior.
Success message: By spreading the word about the importance of faith, $n manages to get more than one neighbor thinking and regretting their behavior - giving $m a little extra prominence in the public eye for the time being.

When to fire: At any time
Offer: $n has heard of a dangerous mage at large nearby in the city. Nothing is going to feel safe again until this mage can be stopped! The Order has to be supported and strengthened to help them find this mage as soon as possible.
Goal: Raise piety this cycle
Reward: 5 QP
Failure message: The Order's resources are insufficient to apprehend the mage... until she's caught over the dead body of one of $n's neighbors.
Success message: Bolstered by donations and support, the Knights apprehend the mage; $n is there for the burning. Another soul saved.

Domain: Infrastructure

When to fire: When infrastructure is high but not super high (70-80?)
Offer: $n wants to get paid to fix a patch of bad road near $s house, but the city's in just too good shape for anyone to be concerned right now. If the road were a bit worse nearer to city center, though...
Goal: Lower Infrastructure
Reward: 500 silver
Failure message: $n does $s best to get a few new potholes put in the road, but all it gets $m is a rougher trip to the city.
Success message: With a few assiduous applications of pressure, $n makes sure the roads are rough enough to catch someone's eye - and in the right place at the right time with the right materials, $e gets the contract to fix it!

Domain: Class Relations

When to fire: When class relations are high
Who to offer it to: for freemen
Offer: $n is tired of being condescended to by all these gentry, and wants to get other freemen to think about the unfairness of their lot. It's time to speak up in the right ears about how unfair it is that the gentry get everything in life.
Goal: Lower race relations the most this cycle.
Reward: +1 IP for 1 IC year
Failure message: $n tries to engage other freemen in protest, but finds there's little appetite for any kind of strife.
Success message: $n's efforts open a lot of eyes to the unfair advantages of the gentry, and lend $m the political support of likeminded others.

Domain: Race Relations

Kinaed

Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:08 pm

Really appreciate these ideas thus far and have awarded QP. Is there anyone else interested in making personal RP Quest suggestions?

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:55 pm

I'm still interested, just have found myself busy with Real life stuff and several different things ingame, but it's still something I'm working on on the side.
Lurks the Forums

• Information