[Poll] Theme Enforcement - the gentle approach

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Theme enforcement as it stands is...

exactly how I like it
35%
okay, but could use some improvement
39%
failing us in significant ways that concern me
26%

Total votes: 23
wimple

Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:05 pm

The_Last_Good_Dragon wrote:
Starstarfish wrote: Case in point - speeches that could be made to other PCs live on grid to generate RP rather than to vNPCs who are RPed as agreeing with the poster.
Gathering a crowd to give a three paragraph speech to is beyond remarkably boring for everyone involved; IC_Events are really most appropriate for these things. "RPed as agreeing with the poster" is often a reflection of Support. While guidelines might be prudent, I'm hesitant to create loopholes for people to jump through in what is already a very dry and barren court of RP — very, very, very few people seem willing to invest any length of time to broader-spectrum scenes.
I think that's a matter of taste. I really couldn't even force myself to read all the speeches that happened during the last round of elections, but had those been in-person RP? I would have attended and been all over it and actually been drawn into that whole spectrum of RP. However, if these are supposed to have certain outcomes representing support/influence, then that's a little more dicey.

kipperialovskii

Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:05 am

I think the way it was handled was a very good decision.

I feel as though political speeches with for instance, the Court itself-- Which is a pretty large thing to make a splash with, should most definitely involve a roll, since there's zero player element involved, aside from the poster if you're making a political statement. Emphasis on: Using NPCs to reflect advantages over players in a political situation. Especially when highly controversial.

Because, while the poster may be supported, the target also has their own set of highly influential supporters.

Delegating actual vNPC reaction in a major event like this allows for personal Charisma to actually have a tangible effect on ingame issues, as well as things such as social rank, and existing support structures. It allows for either both characters to succeed, or fail. Or, an advantage being given to either party due to factors aforementioned.

• Information