Alternative approach to noble inactivity

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Zeita

Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:02 am

Greetings all,

I raised this idea to Kinaed and she suggested that I throw it up here for discussion.

Firstly- I don't think anyone has a serious concern about TI's activity requirements. They're reasonable and, if anything, too generous.

Secondly, the staff have an understandable desire to limit the number of nobles that could potentially be in the game and so nobles are bound to the same policy requirements as guildleaders. However, unlike GLs, who just lose their role and go back into the general pool from which they could theoretically return, nobles are instead either axed or stripped of their titles- both of which are next to impossible to come back from. I consider that this acts as too great of a barrier for players to return after leaving TI for awhile, whatever their reasoning.

So, to counter this, I have the following idea. When a noble reaches the 'terminal' point of inactivity, rather than death/loss of title, they are instead 'force-shelved' by the staff with the IC reasoning that they're returning to their demesne. This removes them from access into the game. To return, they need to reapply for their character- this would thus do a few things. There would be some continuity, there would be an easier return, it would make matters more believable and so forth. Additionally, it would allow staff to control the flow of nobles into the game. If inactive Lord Bobo returns and the current ratio of regulars to nobles is in a bad place, the applying player is put on a waiting list until the time is right ratio wise. Perhaps to prove they've properly returned as well, they need to keep another PC active for two or three weeks beforehand as well before the application is processed.

After a year or two inactive, the list could probably be purged- those people probably aren't coming back.

Thoughts?

Pixie

Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:15 am

I really, really like this.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:19 am

I've discussed it a bit and was thinking we could trans people who meet the inactivity criteria to an OOC room with text that explains what happened the way the dead room is.

I'm not sure what the re-entry criteria ought to be beyond a noble slot being available when they return. The one thing I do foresee being a bit of an irritant is that it'll no doubt be a manual process to re-enter people, and after a few failed re-enteries, we probably wouldn't allow it. Also, I think there should be a minimum hour requirement on the character to be eligible for this.

Pixie

Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:51 am

Should probably be an addenda to address wrapped up characters too -- the ones PCs have requested a wrap up for and gotten one.

The_Last_Good_Dragon

Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:27 am

I thoroughly agree with this — I might chime in and say that a minimum required amount of RP Hours could help staff keep things more manageable. Go inactive as a noble before really establishing your character in Lithmore and you get the axe right off the bat. But I think it's incredibly important to the health of the game!
~~ Team Farra'n'Stuff. ~~

Kinaed

Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:40 am

I'm thinking 50 hours of RP on the character is established enough to warrant a trans to a special holding room with a room desc that says something like "Due to failure to meet noble activity requriements, your character has ICly returned to their domain. They may not re-enter game unless there are enough noble slots available, and you must become and maintain activity for a period of time, else you will not be allowed to re-enter game in the future" or some such thing.

Any views on any particular points to further shape this idea?

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:09 pm

I think it may be best if it was more than 50 hours, because that is the same amount of time as the "Cyan" period is suppose to last, and most nobles start as cyans since it's a role you have to typically create a new character for. And we've seen a fair share of newbies who lose their cyan status but then quickly fall off the face of the earth. 50 hours just seems like a rather small amount in the grand scheme of things, especially to determine whether a noble is actually present.
Lurks the Forums

Kinaed

Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:10 pm

How many hours do people think it ought to be?

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:39 pm

Well... to keep a character in an extended limbo for an indefinite amount of time, with the potential to return at any time, I think that privilege, and yes I would consider that a privilege, should be something substantial. I'd say anything between 75 hours to 100 hours. So basically twice the cyan period. If a noble is willing to put that amount of time in, then they have a right to that privilege. However I also believe that this "Limbo" should only extend up to a year at most. If they do not return in a year's time, it is highly unlikely they will return at all, unless they state a reason why they may not return. Example, I know Mormons do missions to various places, many rural in nature, so they may not have access to internet during that time, so that would be a legitimate reason why they may be gone for a year if not longer.

Of course I should also clarify I don't think this is needed, but if it's going to be added, I might as well state my opinion on it.
Lurks the Forums

Dice

Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:53 pm

I think 50 hours is fine, and like this system as it's suggested above by Kinaed earlier. Nice way to shelve noble PCs temporarily.

• Information