Clergy: Who we are and What we Do

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Bennie

Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:24 pm

As many of you likely know by now, I'm back at the helm of the Order (God save us). Now, I know I have a limited time in the position and, as such, I want to try and tackle what I can to set things up for a good turn over and, hopefully, put my successor in a good position to catapult the Order guild to success (something good for us all since the Church provides a central turning point of the MUD's conflict and, I think, there is a lot of untapped RP potential around the Order and Order characters).

A big part of the Order's troubles often surround membership (or lack thereof). A big part of this, admittedly, is inconsistency in GLs (strong GLs often mean good membership) and perhaps the general ebb and flow. I understand the Order had a pretty good run recently under Gerolf that provided a bit of a response to both of those contributing factors.

However, the other side of this, which could help provide a little bit of weathering of the storm when the other two factors are on the rocks (an inconsistent line of Cardinals, we are in the ebb part of the ebb-flow) is setting up those who are in the Order for success and active guild RP. This is particularly important in the Order because the guild, by its nature, is all consuming to your character. Reeves, Knights, Bards can have lives out of their guilds. Orderites can too, but even then, wherever you go, you are a priest, and Orderite. Inevitably, guild RP directs where Order characters go and what they do to a large extent.

This brings me to what I wanted to talk about: the clergy, the branch of the Order not dedicate specifically to hunting mages, but to doing the rest of the work of the Order (hearing confessions, masses, marriages, etc.). Here, I have found the struggle is that being a clergyman is super open ended. There are a few tasks, like the ones I listed, that you do, but for the most part, your job is massive blank cheque directing you to spread the Order's mercy and help out the Inquisitors.

What I'd like to do is to help pin down a bit better some tangible directions to take clergy characters, some real, practical, every day job lists that can not necessarily direct RP, but at least can give some directions that can be used on a daily basis, an idea of what you can go do as a clergyman on your own as 'your job.'

Already, I've begun drawing up a list of clerical offices to begin. What I want from you is some help getting a handle on what you want to see clergy doing, really tangibly. What are some ways the Order's less inflamed side can become a meaningful part of RP on the grid?

Some Roles List

Code: Select all

Curateships

Cultural Quarters: Must speak relevant language fluently. Given care of their cultural quarter's church. They are responsible for the spiritual good of the freemen people of the culture incl. confessions, general 'checking in,' marriages, etc.

Southside: Must be of freeman rank. Given care of spiritual good of the people of Southside (see above) and the Southside church. Additionally, they coordinate with Almoner and other authorities for the handling of alms to be distributed Southside. Further, they report on Brotherhood activity Southside and help cultivate Southside contacts for the Holy Order. 

Chaplaincies

Ahalin Tower: Handle spiritual care of persons imprisoned in Ahalin Tower. They are responsible for ensuring all to be executed have a chance to make a last confession as well as those simply awaiting imprisonment may make regular confession. They distributed bread to the prisoners, see to it that they are cared for. Ahalin Chaplain should *not* have power of Inquisition to encourage confession and prevent abuse of information obtained in confession.

Hospital: Responsible for the care of the Hospital chapel and the spiritual good of the sick and injured being treated in the hospital. Special responsibility for the hearing of last confessions and for ensuring that those who die in the hospital receive a Davite burial as well as notifying the Holy Order of deaths.  Preference is given to those who have skill in medicine and/or are willing to seek membership with the Royal Physicians (Holy Order will produce letters of recommendation for the chaplain). Requires approval of the Royal Physicians.

Palace/Royal Chapel: Preference given to bishops and archbishops. Responsible for the care of the Royal Chapel, for the Monarch, and for the nobility and courtiers of the Court. If there is no Royal Confessor, the Chaplain serves in this capacity. The Royal Chaplain is further responsible for liaising between the Court and Order and for the respresentation of Order interests at the Court. The Royal Chaplain may be nominated for office by the Order, but requires the confirmation and appointment by the Monarch or the reigning Regent.

Knights/Keep Chapel: Responsible for the care of the Keep Chapel and the spiritual good of the Knights Lithmorran. They serve as a liaison and an advisor to the Knights Lithmorran as necessary though, unless permission is given by the Grand Inquisitor or Cardinal, do not specifically handle matters of the Inquisition.  Preference is given to those willing to seek membership in the Knights Lithmorran (the Order will present letters of recommendation for this process). Chaplain must be approved by the Knights Lithmorran.

Other Offices

Secretary/Chaplain to a Prelate: Serves the administrative needs of the Bishop, Archbishop, or Cardinal to whom they are assigned as well as gives them spiritual care, especially serving as their confessor. Requires consent from the prelate to whom the chaplain is assigned. 

Clerk of the Holy Office: Serves the administrative needs of the Inquisition, composes warrants, preforms research, and serves in any needed representative capacities as an agent of the Inquisition. Normally, they are given Inquisition powers, but do not wear scarlet and are not formal Inquisitors. Responsible for the spiritual care of the Inquisitors as needed, especially in hearing confessions.

Almoner: Responsible for the administration of the charitable works of the Order and for the distribution of alms as well as the collection and handling of tithes. The Almoner especially administers Order almshouses, both North and Southside. They are expected to work closely with the Southside curate to ensure the distribution of alms to persons living in Southside.

Protonotary: Handle the general administrative needs of the Order's curia and the material administration of the Order. Survey church property, write and distribute decrees and respond to canonical inquiries, perform non-inquisitorial canonical work (investigating questionable marriages, liaise with Reeves on civil cases involving Church and Secular legal interests), curate archives, accounting.
One thing I'd like to do in the near future (already laying some of the OOC and IC groundwork for this) is to have Order funds dedicated IC to charitable works, including infrastructure projects (mills, farms, etc.) and the endeavours of PCs that could use a hand from the Order to get off the ground. I'd have clergy monitor those projects.

So.. Ideas?

Leech

Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:31 pm

I'm curious; would you expect those roles to be all-consuming, or in an ideal world would those roles be the daily actions that priests are expected/encouraged to perform? It seems like all of those might be incorporated into a priest character to great affect and keep them plenty busy (if busy is what we're going for).

On the flip side, I've always thought Inquisitors were the ones without things to do; alas, I've yet to play one for any length of time. Sprouting from that line of thought though, and your suggestion that helping Inquisitors should be in a priest's daily activities, I think a big chunk of it should basically be turning over information obtained in confession to the Inquisition. The priests should serve as this soft, understanding, merciful side of the church - yes - but they should also completely use that foothold with the people to serve as informants within the community to any suspicious activities that Inquisitors should investigate.

I've yet to see a priest actively push confession on somebody. I think people are a little scared that the person opposite the screen might get mad or something. I sure wouldn't!
Player of: Alexander ab Courtland

• Information