[Poll] How interesting is the grid (city zones, etc) for RP?

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

How interesting is the grid (city zones, etc) for RP?

Poll ended at Sat May 02, 2015 11:50 pm

Awesome (Best of Breed for RP)
55%
Good (Pretty Good)
45%
Average (Playable)
No votes
Poor (Boring)
No votes
Awful (Bored to tears)
No votes

Total votes: 11
Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:50 pm

Please let us know, where on the scale of 'awesome for RP' does TI's play grid (ie, the city area and outlying zones) feel?

What might improve it, if anything?

Pixie

Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:58 pm

The grid on TI is really, really interesting and/or entertaining. I still find new places, or rediscover old ones with new lore or new secrets.

Found a guy who sells frog catching equipment the other day, and you can catch actual frogs with it. I just don't even. How nifty is that?

As far as places to settle inside the city and RP, there's always room for expansion. Not too much expansion, as you end up with too many choices and too much RP scatter, but some. With that said, I can't actually think of anything that's truly missing. Perhaps a tavern slightly nicer than the Queen's, but slightly less nice than the Bluebird?

Myrella

Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:06 am

TI has a lot going for it grid wise. The room descs are well written. There's a lot of various types of areas. Dive Taverns. Fancy Restaurants. Shopping Galore. Parks, etc. I voted Good, because there is room for improvement. I'm not positive what improvements would be best, but just some ideas of things there don't seem to be on TI's Grid. (I've certainly not been around as long as many players though, so I could just not know about some regions)

I've never seen a trial. There might be a courthouse? But witnessing a trial would be a fun RP scenario.
Help Roster mentions a gambling place in southside but I've never played a freeman. Some sort of high stakes gambling den would be fun for gentry too.
A horse track? Maybe even with racing to bet on, or to participate in?
There's the fighting auditorium, but no collosuem. Maybe that'd be too redundant?
A zoo?
Barbershops?
This is just stuff off the top of my head after filling out the poll. I imagine there are much better more thought out ideas from other players. All in all I can usually find a place on the grid for the sort of RP I'm looking for.

Pixie

Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:13 am

Myrella wrote:But witnessing a trial would be a fun RP scenario.
+1
Myrella wrote:Help Roster mentions a gambling place in southside but I've never played a freeman. Some sort of high stakes gambling den would be fun for gentry too. A horse track? Maybe even with racing to bet on, or to participate in?
Ooooh... Some sort of minigame in the gambling area(s) that allowed you to invest actual silver and have chance of winning back + more?
Myrella wrote:There's the fighting auditorium, but no collosuem. Maybe that'd be too redundant?
There are tournament grounds near The Golden Coin! I still really want to make use of them, somehow...

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:50 am

Pixie wrote: Perhaps a tavern slightly nicer than the Queen's, but slightly less nice than the Bluebird?
Well there is the Golden Coin, that is kind of like the medium between the two.
Myrella wrote: I've never seen a trial. There might be a courthouse? But witnessing a trial would be a fun RP scenario.
Barbershops?.
Firstly, I think the reason why you've never seen a trial is because thats not really how the law works in Lithmore... I mean yeah there are 'trials' but their moreso, oh evidence points against you, you must be guilty.

Though it would be interesting to see a 'small-claims' type of trial, like joe schmoes sheep keep frolicking into Bob's fields, and bob is tired of it.
Myrella wrote:Help Roster mentions a gambling place in southside but I've never played a freeman. Some sort of high stakes gambling den would be fun for gentry too.
There is a gambling area in wilhelm, upper floor of Half-pint. It's open to any class.
Myrella wrote:A horse track? Maybe even with racing to bet on, or to participate in?
There's the fighting auditorium, but no collosuem. Maybe that'd be too redundant?
Firstly I'm not sure a horse track, in the sense you are likely thinking of, would be thematic. Secondly there is actually a Colosseum, it's in the Vandagan quarter.
Myrella wrote: Barbershops?
There is a Barbershop of sorts. The Lithmorran Rose I believe? It's technically a Salon but does hairstuff as well.

Also I kind of have to agree with Myrella, I gave it a good because I'm sure there's room for improvement, but I just can't think of what it would be.
Lurks the Forums

Annalesa

Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:54 am

I'm always going to shy away from changes, but I wouldn't object to more sewer stuff.

On the other hand, I love the grid just like it is. Not too big, not too small.

chronodbu

Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:55 am

Not to sound contrary here but theme specifically dictates that most Gentry and above see a trial of their peers. Not getting one is more of an additional slight than anything.

I've found myself enjoying the grid so far other than that. Can't really say I can think of anything in particular that's needed.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:31 am

There's a Colosseum in the Vandagan Quarter.

There's a "court" for trials in the Town Hall, but it's never been used, and I'm not certain if the room name/desc seems like that when I was building it/thought of it originally.

Love the ideas, thank you! Please keep suggesting things!

Cellan

Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:32 am

Pixie wrote:I can't actually think of anything that's truly missing. Perhaps a tavern slightly nicer than the Queen's, but slightly less nice than the Bluebird?
The Three Cups!

Takta

Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:59 am

To comment on things thus far in a single overall response! A bit redundant in places, but.

1) Tavern nicer than the Queen's but less nice than the Bluebird:

- Yeah, I think both the Golden Coin and Cups fit this niche, though obviously I'm biased in regard to the Cups...

2) Trials/Courtroom

- I don't think anybody has a right to a trial except in the case of a treason charge (what helpfile do you see that in?) and those are very few and far between. But there is indeed a Courtroom in the Town Hall.

3) High-stakes Gambling Den

- I might just add this to North Lithmore. The Half-Pint's isn't very classy, even if it's open to all. I think it's possible I could prog up actual expensive gambling, though I'd have to think about it. Probably a dice game would be about as fancy as I could go, if it's even doable.

4) Colosseum

- We do have this in the Vandagan Foreign Quarter, as stated earlier. I don't know that this was ever fleshed out but I might be able to prog it up, if it wasn't, to make it so. I.e., let you fight exotic beasts for absurd prices.

5) Zoo

- I think this feels too out of theme; private individuals might have zoos, but a city-maintained zoo for anyone to see seems unlikely.

6) Barbershops

- Indeed, as mentioned, there's the Lithmorran Rose. I might add a lower-class style salon to central Lithmore, though.

7) More sewer stuff

- Doable, any specifics?

• Information