Petty crimes

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Lei
Discord Handle: Lei#3876

Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:46 pm

saying that the Brohood needs to lose its mages so everyone arrested doesn't need to be turned over to the Church seems disconnected to me
Want to clarify that I'm not saying that.

I'm saying this:

We keep getting prisoners, and the Order keeps taking our prisoners. We don't get to argue with the Order when they tell us to hand someone over, and we are not volunteering them. I think that this pattern is natural given how much mage-harboring goes on in the Brotherhood (and it has been beyond heretically rampant, from my own personal RP observations), and that it's not going to change until the Brotherhood takes a firm, highly visible stand against magery.
Old As Dirt

Onyxsoulle

Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:51 pm

I'd just like to go on the record here. I agree that it sucks with the association of the Family to mages, but lets be honest, it sometimes IS the character's fault.
If when arrested one thief pops off going " I'm a mage, look what I can do." and the other is just standing there going, " I'm okay with that, so i'll be let free since -I'm- not a mage, right?" Then I'm sorry, both people should be cleansed.

Simple fact: Being a mage or associating with Mages is BAD, you're supposed to be hiding it, not wanting people to know.

Same scenario as before, just adjusted:

Reeve: I'm arresting you both.

Thief 1: I'm a mage, look what I can do.

Thief 2: *freaks the eff out, tries to get away from the mage* *but ironically is a mage themselves possibly*

That kind of scenario I can see thief 2 being let go, albeit under conditions, but still let go.

If you give cause for it to be possibly considered an Order case, then it probably be one, but if you just play dumb/scared (and learn to hide it better :P) then things tend to work out.

Just my opinion :D

wimple

Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:16 am

Onyxsoulle wrote:I'd just like to go on the record here. I agree that it sucks with the association of the Family to mages, but lets be honest, it sometimes IS the character's fault.
If when arrested one thief pops off going " I'm a mage, look what I can do." and the other is just standing there going, " I'm okay with that, so i'll be let free since -I'm- not a mage, right?" Then I'm sorry, both people should be cleansed.
Nope. That's against theme. If the second person is okay with the mage, they should NOT be cleansed. Branded a heretic and required to do X,Y,Z for the church? Yes. But they should be rehabilitated. Cleansing is for mages. Just like we don't kill people for petty crimes, we don't off characters for mage sympathy, either. The Order has LOTS of possibilities to pull from for reactions in that case. They shouldn't be auto-killing people.

I don't really like playing the, "Who has this happened to in-game card?" because it's like accusing others of bad RP, which has made me delete a couple of posts in here already (when I said an example from a main character outright and then later quadruple editting on my last post). I'm not interested in that and I'll just bow out of this discussion since I seem to be the problem. However, I think the main question is legitimate - there is significantly more risk in petty theft if, even with the Brotherhood's high turn over, they are auto-branded as heretics. So you're not going to see much of it.

Geras

Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:47 am

We keep getting prisoners, and the Order keeps taking our prisoners. We don't get to argue with the Order when they tell us to hand someone over, and we are not volunteering them.
Well part of that has to do with some heretic Justiciars undermining the Reeves' standing IMHO. Normally the Reeves and Order bickering is part of the conflict of the game.

Applesauce

Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:51 pm

Geras wrote:
We keep getting prisoners, and the Order keeps taking our prisoners. We don't get to argue with the Order when they tell us to hand someone over, and we are not volunteering them.
Well part of that has to do with some heretic Justiciars undermining the Reeves' standing IMHO. Normally the Reeves and Order bickering is part of the conflict of the game.
That may have been true at some point, but in recent times everyone has gone through the Order because they've been witches*. Even the one prisoner who DID go through the Reeves immediately revealed himself as a mage after they punished and released him.

Seriously folks just need to separate crime from heresy if they want them to be treated differently.

* Or, there has been enough IC evidence to treat them as such, whether or not they actually were witches.

Atholos

Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:22 am

Applesauce wrote:
Geras wrote:
That may have been true at some point, but in recent times everyone has gone through the Order because they've been witches*. Even the one prisoner who DID go through the Reeves immediately revealed himself as a mage after they punished and released him.

Seriously folks just need to separate crime from heresy if they want them to be treated differently.

* Or, there has been enough IC evidence to treat them as such, whether or not they actually were witches.

If you are talking about Soolic's recent case I believe there was a policy issue so the Reeves were not allowed to execute him.

Applesauce

Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:54 pm

Atholos wrote:If you are talking about Soolic's recent case I believe there was a policy issue so the Reeves were not allowed to execute him.
Sorry for being unclear; the thread has been about people on all sides wanting secular crimes to be able to be persued under secular law.

I'm not talking about what his punishment should have been, the point was that the one prisoner that was treated like a secular criminal in a room full of religious criminals turned out to be a religious criminal too.

Annalesa

Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:32 am

Well, Seilena tried to make it look as though they were cleansing the mages in the guild. She even confessed to killing a Kirop for being a mage and publicly announced that she would have done Ehren and Cirian in had she been able to get hold of them and known that they were mages. Heretic? Maybe, but definitely anti-mage.

Personally, though, I think we're making too big of a deal about the mages-in-the-Brotherhood thing. I mean, following the whole idea of massive amounts of vNPCs, then, realistically, the consistency of the mage PCs that are found is small potatoes compared to the massive amount of total possible Brotherhood members that actually would be coming through the Reeves' hands on any given day. The overall amount when you think about it in terms of total people, including NPCs, vNPCs, and PCs, that are found to be mages are a small amount, really just to be expected given a simple law of averages. I could even go on to argue that perhaps the reason the really heinous ones seem to mostly be mages is that magery is the very reason that they are doing truly horrible stuff to being with. To me, the very idea of thief = mage, even though a good bit of thief PCs are indeed mages, is sort of twinkish on all our parts. I mean, realistically, why are we even having that conversation? It's completely and totally unreasonable to me when you look at the whole picture. Perhaps I'm looking at it the wrong way, though.

As for the main topic, though, I agree that there are a lot of problems with being a thief. I would love for more RP to take place down south, and I would love for there to be more use for our skills. I think that lockpick already has the kind of utility that one would expect. Sneak and hide are sigh-worthy, but I don't have any direct ideas for those. So:

I think that perhaps an idea of allowing steal to be performed on vNPCs with skill, time of day, and room (amongst other things I may be missing?) to determine success would be a good one. Now, this would be an option for a low risk/low reward type thing, so I think the max one could expect to earn would be, say, five or ten silver or a low-level item like a pipe or a fish or something, but the risk would be pretty low if you played your cards right. I think that there should be a chance of success, a chance of failure without detection, and a chance of failure with detection.

My main concern, of course, is how in the world this would be implemented and if it's even possible and if it's too much work for our poor staff that I love dearly and don't want to overburden. Also, is this too twinkish, too open to abuse?

Another thing that I would like to address is that I think people get into the thieves guild and expect to be doing giant plots all the time. I get that it's part of why people join the Brotherhood, the thrill of adventure of kidnapping people, killing, etc, but is that really a realistic expectation? Should we be expecting the thieves' guild to be constantly doing huge jobs and stuff all the time? Shouldn't that kind of thing be more the exception instead of the rule, and isn't that expectation part of the core of a lot of things, namely why we have Tenebrae changing almost as much as some people change their underpants?

I don't really know. I just know that the thing that's really gotten to me both times I rolled Tenebrae was that everybody constantly wanted to do something big and couldn't simply be patient enough for targets to present themselves. The thing that really bugged me personally was that, realistically, we needed a solid team of people that had varying positions in order to pull something like that off, and people just simply could not understand that. Don't get me wrong; I'm usually pretty good about pulling bouquets out of my butt, but good God. I mean, I was either directly or indirectly responsible for about half a dozen deaths all in all as Seilena and basically engaged in a giant conspiracy to have my husband killed on Annalesa, so I can do some crazy stuff given enough time, but that's just it: having the time to get everything together.

While I'm on the subject, I'm just going to go ahead and put it out there that the thieves are an organization that gets by on secrecy and covert operations from everything I've read, so I'm still trying to figure out why in God's name the thief guild is known for its giant blow ups that come once every OOC month or so.

Nonetheless, these last two paragraphs are merely my own personal frustrations with the whole thing, and they are more my own personal preferences than anything else. I'm merely left confused and bewildered about the general tide of things that don't really fit my style or my ways of being more slow, methodical, and engaging in long-term goals, but that's my problem. I merely highlight them because I wonder if I'm the only one that has abandoned the thief build because of wanting to take my time to make a truly horrendous bad guy instead of a pop-boom-fizzle one.

I will also go ahead and point out that the crossover between mages and thieves is probably due more to a necessity than anything else. I can't guarantee it, but I would say that its a distinct possibility (it certainly was with both Annalesa and Izzy for me) Some of the thief skills are nigh useless when it comes to actually being valuable to a criminal (not anybody's fault it's just how it plays out), but those mage skills? Oh yes.

Sorry for the novel and if I sound like a whiny little baby in some places. I don't mean to be; I'm just really peeved that the Brotherhood simply has so much going on that just doesn't allow my play style to fall in very well or me to make much use of skills that I would love to try out.

Atholos

Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:10 pm

Personally, though, I think we're making too big of a deal about the mages-in-the-Brotherhood thing. I mean, following the whole idea of massive amounts of vNPCs, then, realistically, the consistency of the mage PCs that are found is small potatoes compared to the massive amount of total possible Brotherhood members that actually would be coming through the Reeves' hands on any given day.
I really agree with this. When I was just recently Tene I wanted to do an RPA to find out what a magical item was. Now as some of you may know Nilus/Baglan was very supportive of mages but I couldn't do the RPA because the staff felt that I didn't have really any mages in my guild but they were fine with me asking one of the PC's in my guild. Now this isn't meant as a complaint in case there is any misunderstanding, but it is meant to sort of elaborate on what Annalesa was saying here.

Gavin

Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:20 pm

We could all be better about dissociating vNPCs from guilds-as-presented, but it's hard to enforce that. How many of us have, at one point, uttered lines like:

"There are only two knights around who do anything!"
"All the Reeves are incompetent!"
"You can't ever see a bard performing."

When it comes right down to it, RPing properly would treat the world as a living construct where vNPCs have some level of competence and skill, with some natural, normally distributed variance, so that you'd find incompetent Reeves and Galahad-like knights too.

But we don't do that, because when you're being attacked by a thief and no Reeve comes to rescue you; or when there's a mage-attack and there aren't any PC Knights on-- well, we have to play the cards as they lie.

So I completely understand the "treat the thieves as being staffed by non-mage vNPCs," but I don't think that works unless we all think very, very hard about it all the time.

• Information