OOC Meeting Transcript Oct 23rd 2021

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

sippycup
Discord Handle: sippycup

Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:06 pm

Kinaed states, "A reminder of the OOC Chat Pact: Regardless of what we discuss, we understand and truly believe that everyone on TI does the best they can, given what they know at the time, their skills and abilities, the resources available, and the situation at hand. We will be respectful of this and each other at all times."
Kinaed states, "Today's Agenda is:
- Staff Updates
- Player Heartbeat
- Player Topics
Is there anything anyone would like to add to the agenda to make certain we discuss it today? If you register a topic, please pre-write it so you're ready to present it when called upon."
Ghed wonders, "Nobody?"
Kinaed claims, "Looks like a no. Got a few tells coming in, so a bit slow."
Kinaed has transferred Sparkles. [OOC]
Ghed questions, "Wait Trajen volunteered?"
Kinaed gives Sparkles some coins.
Kinaed nods at Ghed.
Deedee nods at Ghed.
Kinaed says, "But we're on anyone raising topics they'd like to discuss now :)"
Ghed claims, "Yes I am not very smart"
Kinaed says, "All good, and you are fine. :)"
Kinaed claims, "Okay, so let's kick off Staff Updates."
Deedee notes Kinaed said 'fine' not 'smart'.
Kinaed says, "I turned in a role specification update to allow players in chargen and others to purchase roles if they meet requirements set out by a GL."
Kinaed says to Deedee, "Don't get me into trouble :P"
Kinaed says, "Ghed is smart, however."
Ghed smiles.
Kinaed states, "The spec isn't complete, it's just in the works. Staff are discussing the nitty gritties at the moment."
Deedee winks. "And yeah, sounds good on the role purchasin'"
Kinaed states, "I also processed some of the Request Queue."
Kinaed says, "Oh, handled a policy case as well."
Kinaed claims, "That's me."
Deedee says, "Fun fun"
Kinaed queries to Ghed, "Care to update us? :)"
Kinaed nods at Deedee.
Ghed nods.
Ghed types
Ghed says, "This week I was moderately active on a few fronts. Mostly some help files, including stuff for Staff and for the Order, and guild changes here and there. I uhhh can't remember much more. I was pretty busy."
Ghed queries to Leta, "Did I miss anything?"
Kinaed smiles.
Leta exclaims, "Don't think so! Though you answered a lot of my questions about building and crafting code too =)"
Kinaed states, "Nice. Thanks Ghed :)"
Ghed says, "Oh I fixed a player with hilarious retainers that didn't exist, but still cost taxes and were listed in a non existed room. Lol."
Kinaed asks of Leta, "May we have your update too? :)"
Deedee states, "Ghed also added scars to the Physicians' quartermaster, so if you'd like to be disfigured please let your friendly Physician know."
Leta nods.
Ghed claims, "Oh yeah I did that."
Kinaed states, "Ooo."
Kinaed cheers.
Leta says, "I mostly handled questions, requests and recommends this week. Built a few phome add-ons as well. I also helped testing a couple bugs and bug fixes. Thank you all for your patience as we sort through glitches."
Leta declaims, "No new helpfiles, but I have a few in drafts! Hopefully by next week I'll be able to share them =)"
Kinaed queries, "Has the game become more stable, and are there any major outstanding bugs that are on people's minds atm?"
Kinaed states to Leta, "Also, thanks to you as well :)"
Lans says, "Butchering comes to mind"
Leta declares, "Thank you to the people giving helpfile drafts and suggestions!"
Kinaed claims to Lans, "Thanks! I know Salem is proactively on that, keep reminding us."
Ghed claps claps for Leta.
Lans states, "Thank you"
Lans claims, "Also guild channel history, which is normally available, is gone"
Anonymous says, "I seem to be recognizing A FEW ADDITIONS TO AB SURVIVAL HMMM"
Deedee states, "I'm still concerned about plot contribute, but I believe it's being worked on as well"
Lans states, "Ah yes some obsolete skills returned"
Kinaed wonders, "Oh, is there a bug up for that?"
Kinaed says, "Okay, making a list. Sec"
Flower states, "Oo fletch"
Deedee claims, "Interesting"
Trajen is dry.
Anonymous states, "Fletch skin and tan"
Lans wonders, "That's super old stuff no?"
Deedee says, "Very"
Kinaed questions, "Okay, so the depreciated skills - they should just be deleted, right?"
Lans says, "Ideally, so as not to confuse players, specially newbies"
Leta claims, "They are now folded in to other skills"
Kinaed nods at Lans.
Kinaed states, "Thanks."
Leta claims, "So yes"
Kinaed wonders, "And what's going on with plot contribute?"
Leta says, "Plot contribute shows player accounts"
Leta pontificates, "Salem is actively working on it!"
action scribes to keep from going idle
Action set to:
Trajen scribes to keep from going idle
Kinaed claims, "Yeah, Salem probably already knows the list, but I'll just circle back and make sure we know."
Kinaed states, "Okay, I've got the mundane list together, will put together a mage list too."
Kinaed says, "In the meantime, if anyone is complaining about any weird code changes, esp if they don't show up in HELP OCT2021 as a deliberate change, please, please encourage your friends to bring the problems to staff."
Kinaed states, "It's most likely a result of the refactor causing some issues."
Leta states, "We award QP for reporting bugs."
Leta says, "Bug board is the best place for them."
Kinaed claims, "We had a lot of funky stuff happen in the mage sphere because the code from back in the original The Inquisition days had a lot of self-taught programmers who had very poor documentation hygiene and a tendency to do things professional programmers are trained out of, like calling a variable 'X' rather than 'Target_name' and stuff like that."
Kinaed claims, "Yes, please do bug board. But also don't feel shy to send a tell if you're not sure."
Kinaed says, "Okay, thank you for that, everyone."
Anonymous states, "Magic is hard. Supposedly. I wouldnt know. *innocent*"
Kinaed grins.
Kinaed says, "It's even harder when it's messed up, sadly."
Anonymous states, "It would have been funny if spell effects were messed up in a way that would make it seem like magic went nuts."
Kinaed asks, "Anyway, how was the game for everyone this last week? Have fun? Anything to be aware of?"
Kinaed nods at Anonymous.
Anonymous states, "Like a mage casts a spell and instead of it doing what its supposed to, it switches people's joints and clothing around."
Anonymous claims, "I'm wearing a hat. And it's not on my head."
Kinaed says, "In some cases, it may have happened and we might not have uncovered it yet."
Lans states, "I am seeing a more lively social scene"
Kinaed states, "That's always good news. I've seen a lot of new characters of late, come to think of it."
Deedee says, "Been a stupid busy week IRL, so haven't had much time to play"
Kinaed says, "According to my activity stuff, we have about 6 new actual players."
Deedee claims, "Nice"
Kinaed claims, "So that's always nice, if we can retain them :)"
Flower states, "That is awesome. "
Lans claims, "There is also more magic about, and some of it is actually dangerous"
Sparkles states, "I've had some interesting RP this week. "
Kinaed claims, "I'm not sure if that's good news or bad news :)"
Kinaed states to Sparkles, "That, however, is great news :)"
Kinaed asks, "Anything shitting anyone that they want staff to know about?"
Kinaed wonders, "Anything awesome or deeply appreciated that anyone wants staff to know about?"
say Reading the history around game, and lore is interesting. I'd like to meet some o the ppl
Trajen claims, "Reading the history around game, and lore is interesting. I'd like to meet some o the ppl"
Kinaed says, "I will say I've seen some appreciation for the revitalization of Court work, and from the staff perspective, I want to say thank you to the leaders of that work and the other players involved too."
Kinaed declaims to Trajen, "Cool :) Hopefully your character will be adding to that lore themselves too!"
Ghed says, "It makes me very hapy"
Ghed states, "Happy too"
Kinaed wonders, "Okay, we don't have any players topics today. I know there's an event being run soon - would everyone like to dismiss early, or should I do a bit of player polling opinions on things?"
Sparkles says, "I hope folks are having fun with it. We've officially gotten to the everyone doesn't fit at the table at Council meetings point."
Kinaed states to Sparkles, "Sweet :) Good job too. "
Anonymous claims, "I'll give opinions"
Flower declaims, "Poll us!"
Anonymous says, "I like giving my totally unbiased and justified opinions"
Anonymous claims, "Totally"
Kinaed says, "I also have a player topic just come in. Let's do a couple of very appropriately biased and unjustified opinions (joking) and then we'll do the topic"
Kinaed queries, "What is the biggest thing you'd like to fix about TI's economy?"
Kinaed says, "Note - I'm not promising any changes, just looking for player insight."
Kinaed says, "Our big focus right now is code stability and fixing up the list of things that went wrong with refactoring from C code to C++"
Anonymous questions, "Economy wise?"
Kinaed nods at Anonymous.
Kinaed asks, "Yeah, what do you think is working and what do you think isn't working?"
Flower claims, "I'm not sure the economy is shitting me much ig. "
Anonymous states, "Well there's my eternal complaint about prestige and that ties into the insane silver cost it has to get anywhere with it though I don't know if that counts... but I suppose the one big thing I'd point out is that things don't wear out, so once you have one of something, there's never any incentive to get another."
say I think players can get money if they want to, and don't see any problem. It'd be nice if the Merchants could offer financing lol Like a loan for a house.
Trajen claims, "I think players can get money if they want to, and don't see any problem. It'd be nice if the Merchants could offer financing lol Like a loan for a house."
Sparkles claims, "I would say one of the biggest issues is there is no 'funnel' to remove things out of a game in a way that represents like (v)NPC interest. That's super hard on certain groups but also encourages a lot of hoarding that cuts new players/characters out of the loop."
Anonymous states, "I'm not all that bothered about it, but it feels like a lot of the merchants trades are largely one and done."
Ghed claims, "Merchants do offer financing"
Ghed claims, "At least that's always been the case"
Deedee asks, "How do you mean one and done?"
say Oh ok.
Trajen says, "Oh ok."
Ghed asks of Sparkles, "Funnel?"
Anonymous claims, "One and done as in 'I need item x', 'I have item x made by merchant', 'I now never need item x ever again'.""
Deedee states, "Ah."
Anonymous says, "And merchant has now served purpose and requries no further interaction with unless its social or non-craft."
Deedee says, "I know that for example, horseshoes expire now"
Kinaed nods.
Anonymous questions, "Hah, do they? I didn't even know that"
Deedee says, "Maybe some other things that give temporary benefit can expire"
Anonymous claims, "My hors edoesn't even have horseshoes."
Lans claims, "It should"
Sparkles says, "When you want to pool crafting skills for example, there's no way to recoup those costs as you generally need to make far more items than there are PCs to buy them. And there's no way to sell to NPCs, so people tend to just hoard piles of untooled stuff for later. "
Flower says, "Yea, ny horse needs lots. "
Kinaed states, "I think clothing should get dirty and maybe turn mud brown and get a 'dirty' flag until someone pays to launder their clothes."
Flower claims, "My not ny. "
Kinaed states, "And food probably shouldn't be non-perishable"
Deedee claims, "Except for rations and preserves I'd say"
Kinaed nods at Sparkles.
Anonymous claims, "Salvage is a lifesaver for training skills"
Ghed nods at Deedee.
Ghed states to Deedee, "Or at least have expiry be specially extended"
Sparkles states, "Not everything you can salvage, alas."
Deedee nods.
Deedee states, "I'd brought up before that food should be salvageable into scraps"
Kinaed nods.
Deedee says, "I think we might be straying from the topic though"
Kinaed states, "It's fine, it's a part of economy."
Kinaed states, "I'll go through the history of this discussion and dig out the pertinent points, then put them together for staff discussion."
Kinaed states, "Thank you everyone."
Deedee states, "It feels like at tiems"
Kinaed muses to Sparkles, "Please raise your topic?"
Deedee says, "That the kingdom doesn't have much gold"
Sparkles claims, "So the other side of having a more lively social scene is that folks usually like to join them. Or during slower times might be seeking out scenes."
Kinaed nods at Sparkles.
Sparkles says, "I know that we talked about Facade and that policy was poked at but in general, a bit more consideration that if something is the only public scene that's likely why people are there."
Kinaed asks, "Are people acting game-y around facade still? *sadface*"
Sparkles says, "Not Facade specifically, no."
Kinaed claims, "I'm not sure I'm following what you're trying to say, I'm sorry."
Ghed claims, "You mean like"
Ghed questions, "Thieves or mages appearing at Council?"
Sparkles claims, "That even outside of Facade policy specifically, instantly not seeing the presence of people at a public scene could help people feel more welcome."
Kinaed has transferred McChubble. [OOC]
Kinaed gives McChubble some coins.
Sparkles says, "Not even Council, sometimes it's tavern scenes."
Ghed nods.
Ghed claims, "Yeah sometimes the villain there is just a guy who wants a little RP after work IRL =)"
Sparkles states, "Essentially that cyans might not know the game/setting/their characters well enough to have an elaborate reason why they showed up somewhere besides 'people were on Where and I was bored'"
Kinaed queries, "So are we saying that if a tavern scene is going on with three people and a brotherhood member walks in, people who don't know that person is a BH member ICly are reacting, or people are reacting to exclude them rather than just leaving them alone as someone who might also be in a bar with you?"
Kinaed questions, "Is it IC or OOC info that's causing the problem?"
Kinaed wonders, "Or the sense that people are intimately interacting with every person in a bar scene rather than 'hey, this is a crowd, you don't have to notice the guy in the corner'?"
Sparkles states, "Probably a bit of A and a bit of B."
Kinaed claims, "I can see why either or both would be problematic."
Sparkles claims, "Essentially just an overall TL;DR that sometimes there needs to be a bit of OOC reality that folks just want to be playing the game with us, so being more inclusive rather than exclusive might get better results."
Kinaed asks, "How do we make it a social norm to be accepting of other players in scenes regardless of what your character ICly knows?"
Kinaed nods at Sparkles.
Anonymous states, "I don't think you can."
Kinaed says, "I think it'd make the game seem more engaging and welcoming to players."
Deedee says, "Well, the theme being what it is, there's only so much you can do there"
McChubble states, "I missed the problem can someone tell me what was said? :-)"
say Very interesting point.
Trajen states, "Very interesting point."
Kinaed states to Anonymous, "Not easily, at least. But I think if we agree it's something desirable on the whole, we can get there. I'm not sure if all players would align, though I think all players DO align that OOC information and knowledge shouldn't come into it."
Flower wonders, "Can I get a transfer out?"
Deedee states, "For example, maybe people shouldn't be so quick to notice a single shadow slip into a busy pub. But when it starts speaking, it's not going to be given a welcome"
Kinaed says to McChubble, "That people in a public locales that may be deemed crowded may be unwelcoming to 'villain' characters walking in before they've had an opporunity to RP"
Flower has been transferred out by Kinaed. [OOC]
Anonymous says, "I think that if you're going to be a villain character and your IC enemies are in a public room, locale or not, you have to just deal with it."
Anonymous claims, "Consequence of making enemies. And visa versa."
Anonymous claims, "Then again, I'm a bit of a hardliner with this one."
Anonymous states, "I've been denied plenty of scenes by not being willing to go in a room with IC enemies/villains."
Kinaed queries, "Essentially, mages and criminal players are also players, so if we want to have people willing to play those roles, they have to be welcome at the table to RP, even if they're not ICly welcome, and how do we make the difference known and enjoyable by all?"
McChubble says, "I think it's up to the players who are ICly unwelcoming to be OOCly welcoming and excited that they are there, my 2c"
Ghed states to McChubble, "Absolutely"
Kinaed states to Anonymous, "I don't know. I think I can see it from both sides of the fence, and I think it's in TI's best interest as a whole to find out what we can do to make as many players comfortable and happy as possible. We're not a game where it's PvE and the environment has no feelings. If we want to have a robust game, then we have to acknowledge that 'bad guy' players are players too and need a fun experience to even want to play."
Lans claims, "I've let mages go after a good confrontation and villanous retreat."
Lans states, "Not often. Don't count on it, witch."
say lol
Trajen claims, "Lol"
Anonymous states, "I have a lot strong feelings on this topic engendered by one player specifically that may or may not be coloring my impressions on it. If you want to know more about that, I'll say in tells, but I'll just leave it there rather than argue."
Kinaed claims, "And for mages specifically, there's also a balance of 'how do I even get RP if people instantly flee the room, thus ending the RP full stop""
McChubble states, "In addition, i think it's only fair that the tables are turned -- for instance, in an SP where a non-covert is 'abducted' and taken to a hostile area controlled by covert people for --reasons--"
Lans questions to McChubble, "SP?"
McChubble claims, "I'm probably not using the right acronym, the story teller mechanic"
Lans claims, "Ah, that'd be ST"
Deedee states, "STs are opt-in though"
Sparkles claims, "And if people don't flee the room they can get in all sorts of IC trouble. Which kind of encourages more private RP."
McChubble says, "I don't mind opting my character in :-)"
Deedee nods.
Deedee claims, "I think the disguise code might help with this somewhat"
McChubble says, "I mean, that could help a little, a public OOC list of people who are interested in having their goody two-shows characters volunteer for antagonistic ST, with a little checks and balances in the mix"
Ghed nods at McChubble.
Kinaed sinks into thought.
McChubble states, "Just some really fun scenarios come to mind, a disguised noble is off to meet someone in a secret tryst, and is kidnapped by the brotherhood without really knowing who they are kidnapping and then finding out and trying to figure out what the hell they are going to do"
Kinaed claims, "Well, I think the best of RP is when people react realistically, BUT don't use OOC info and are willing to give OOC leeway to other players just to make their play fun. By OOC leeway, I mean 'if I don't have to notice something off, maybe I just won't notice it, at least not at the very first sentence they speak' or something."
Kinaed nods at McChubble.
Kinaed questions, "Yeah, we don't have disguise code, so what's the harm in RPing that Kinaed was in a disguise and deciding not to recognize her?"
Kinaed states, "I think there are a lot of gray areas where we can choose to be forgiving of one another, especially when code can't do it"
McChubble states, "Also maybe some burner characters -- characters that are just created to be fun and disposable"
Kinaed states, "And sadly, it's a fact that with a small pbase, some OOC info is often unavoidable. 5 people online, you know 4 of them and a mage walks in... well, now you OOCly know who a mage is."
Deedee says, "That's against policy unless specifically cleared by staff I believe"
Kinaed states, "But you don't ICly."
McChubble queries, "Burner characters?"
Deedee claims, "Yes"
McChubble states, "Oh, okay, well, don't do that then"
Kinaed states, "It's requested that players let staff know if they're building a burner character."
Lans says, "I was a burner character. For real."
Kinaed says, "The reason is because we'd had problems in the past where burner characters weren't about making the game fun for other people, but rather about trolling with no consequence."
Lans states, "I just... burned everyone else instead."
Deedee claims, "It's a slow burn."
McChubble states, "Oh that sucks"
say rofl
Trajen states, "Rofl"
Lans exhales.
Kinaed says, "So if you want to create a burner character that is about making the game fun, you'll probably not only get approved, you may even get staff support."
McChubble states, "Damn trolls ruin everything fun"
Kinaed says, "But we do ask you let us know and talk to us about it so we don't think you're a jerk just logging in to steal a whole bunch of stuff out of people's phomes without them ever doing anything to get targetted."
Kinaed says, "Okay, we're coming to the top of the hour. I appreciate everyone's time today."
Kinaed queries, "I hope you all have fun at the event scheduled today. Who do I owe for organizing?"
Sparkles states, "Ah, Alyria and Radomir I believe."
Kinaed claims, "Please don't forget to recommend your fellow players if they do something that helps you have some fun. :)"
Kinaed pontificates to Sparkles, "Thanks!"
Kinaed declaims, "Alright, I hope to see everyone next week. Have a fantastic day!"
Sparkles waves.
Kinaed claims, "Retransing in 3.."
Deedee waves.
Kinaed says, "2.."
Kinaed claims, "1.."

• Information