Log of OOC Meeting: 2021-04-24

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Dreams
Discord Handle: dreams2410

Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:12 pm

Kinaed claims, "A reminder of the OOC Chat Pact: Regardless of what we discuss, we understand and truly believe that everyone on TI does the best they can, given what they know at the time, their skills and abilities, the resources available, and the situation at hand. We will be respectful of this and each other at all times."

Kinaed claims, "Today's Agenda is:

- Staff Updates
- Player Heartbeat
- Player Topics

Is there anything anyone would like to add to the agenda to make certain we discuss it today? If you register a topic, please pre-write it so you're ready to present it when called upon."

Rey states, "Me please"

Kinaed claims to Rey, "Got you :)"

Gnomely says, "I had a brief idea I wanted to bring up to the playerbase for commentary."

Kinaed says to Gnomely, "Got you too :) Please pre-write it."

Deedee states, "There was something I think Ghed told me to bring up later since I brought it up during another discussion last week"

Deedee states, "Will see if I can find it"

Kinaed says to Deedee, "Cool, I'll add you to the list too. If you can't, can just say so when we tag you."

Deedee nods.

Kinaed claims, "If anyone else has a topic, please send me a tell, and I'll put you on the list. In the meantime, kicking off Staff Updates :)"

Eos begins to count their money.

Kinaed says, "Last Week, I met with our web designer, went over our new website stuff with the staff and approved the website revamp on the weekend of May 1-3rd, which Temi wrote a board note about."

Tasker declares, "Woop!"

Kinaed claims, "This week I don't have much planned :)"

Deedee claims, "Looking forward to it"

Kinaed states to Eos, "Want to go next? I understand you also have Ghed's update."

Tasker says, "When will the TI merch come out"

Traven claims, "I would legit buy TI merch."

Kinaed deletes the question 'would people even want TI merch' from her command line.

Temi says, "They are some nice icons, it could work."

Temi grins.

Eos states, "Let me post gheds update"

Temi nods at Eos.

Kinaed nods at Eos.

Ghed says: This week I implemented the doorbell mob job for anyone who wants it. Check help mobjobs for more info! I also did many phome requests, a lot of Jade Arrow plots, some NPC puppets, and processed all evicted houses. As usual, minor player requests and recommends. Stay tuned for the Jade Arrow finale, coming to you soon!

Deedee states, "Oh, very nice."

Kinaed says, "Yeah. Awesome stuff :)"

Deedee wonders, "Did the doorbell prog need some new code? I remember Niamh trying to set up something like it before but it didn't work"

Eos states, "As for me, I've had a busy week so no coding. I've helped temi with the greyzone, very excited for it."

Kinaed states, "Nope."

Eos claims, "All old code"

Kinaed smiles at Eos.

Kinaed says to Eos, "Thanks :)"

Temi claims, "Ghed had a different approach for it - it won't work the same as what Niamh tried."

Deedee muses, "Cool. will it work behind portal exits?"

Eos says, "Ghed and temi are doing amazing things with the mobprogs we have. We've been looking into adding more soonish."

Temi says, "It uses rpyell"

Deedee claims, "Ah, won't work then."

Temi grins at Eos.

Kinaed asks of Salem, "Want to update us?"

Salem says, "I did alot of work on some crafting stuff. I'm trying to get the single recipies able to be assigned to a guild. Then we can do cool stuff with that."

Kinaed smiles.

Kinaed claims, "Thank you :)"

Temi states, "I still owe Salem some help on testing that."

Kinaed nods at Temi.

Kitty says, "That should work behind a portal exit, unless both ways are portals. If one way is a portal, and the other is a way out, it should hear the yell."

Kinaed has transferred Gaiseric. [OOC]

Temi gives a long, fluttering dancing ribbon painted with small blooms to Gaiseric.

Gaiseric says, "Oo, shiny."

Eos waves her ribbon through the air by the handle, causing its long tail to flutter after, echoing her patterns.

Kinaed claims, "I think there may be a way to doorbell without RP yell using echos in other rooms. May need to have a look."

Kinaed says, "I'll check with Ghed."

Temi says, "I think that's what Niamh was trying to get to work"

Deedee nods.

Kinaed declaims, "In any case... Temi! You're up :)"

Kinaed claims, "Ahh."

Temi states, "I've been working primarily on the grey zone. It is getting much closer, only I think three or four regular rooms left to desc, and I added the roofs on today, so they need desced too. But they have statexits now! Will still need more mobs and shops and lore. So I'd expect several weeks out yet. Maybe we'll have a little thing to switch it in after the Jade Arrow stuff. I'll convene with Ghed."

Deedee says, "In my use case, I had a room with a portal exit in, and a normal exit out. couldn't hear the doorbell from that room to the room it exits to"

Kitty asks of Deedee, "But, was it an RPyell?"

Tasker asks, "I assume the grey zone will still report for magic stuffs?"

Deedee says, "Yeah, she tried rpyell first."

Deedee states, "Couldn't hear it"

Traven asks, "Honestly, I've been helping desc things in the sister game for Niamh, could try and utilize Pbase for some of that? To help speed things up?"

Temi states, "New crafts this week were some additional lockpick recipes. We were baffled about Lockpicks being switched to blacksmithing from jeweling, but there's now both versions, and added a makeshift version to lockpicking, using some stuff those crafts make that aren't lockpicks"

Deedee says, "Great"

Temi nods at Kinaed.

Gaiseric wonders, "Sorry, but.. What?"

Gaiseric claims, "Read that a few times and it didn't entirely make sense."

Temi states, "There's now three lockpick recipes. One in jeweling, one in blacksmithing, and one in lockpicking that is made using stuff made by jewelers or blacksmiths"

Gaiseric says, "Got it."

Kinaed wonders to Temi, "Did you want to talk to Traven offline about potential assistance as well?"

Temi claims, "Ah, I can keep the option if we need anything additional, but mostly have a handle on things."

Kinaed claims, "Er, by 'offline', I mean outside of the OOC Chat. :)"

Eos pontificates, "Lockpicks!"

Kinaed has transferred Zara. [OOC]

Zara appears.

Traven nods.
Kinaed nods at Temi.

Temi gives a long, fluttering dancing ribbon painted with small blooms to Zara.

Eos throws the handle of her dancing ribbon in the air, catching it again as it descends, tail fluttering after.

Zara oohs.

Temi states, "It's less the time to make the descriptions and more making sure everything fits together"

Zara holds a long, fluttering dancing ribbon painted with small blooms in her hand.

Kinaed wonders, "Okay, is that everything for Staff Updates? If so, let's discuss Player Heartbeat - how was the game for everyone today?"

Zara waves her ribbon through the air by the handle, causing its long tail to flutter after, echoing her patterns.

Kinaed says, "*this week"

Temi nods.

Traven states, "Which is better for one person to do, otherwise things get missed. Makes sense. <3"

Kinaed sighs. "How was the game for everyone -this week-?"

Zara twirls around with ribborn trailing her.
She appears to be competent at dancing.

Anonymous claims, "I am doing okay minus one plot I'm trying to get completed. Got some OOC hiccups and misunderstandings on it, trying to clear it up."

Zara twirls around with a long, fluttering dancing ribbon painted with small blooms trailing her.
She appears to be competent at dancing.

Kitty states, "Game has been alright. Like I said earlier, an adjustment, but it'll work out."

Kinaed nods at Anonymous.

Kinaed states to Kitty, "I hope the adjustment goes as smoothly as you could want. :)"

Zara says, "I have had fun. My alt has got most of the fun. Z had got some though. I give props to the Order for being great though."

Kitty claims, "Yeah, it'll be fine. It's an adjustment that has been needed for a long while."

Kinaed says to Zara, "Glad to hear that :)"

Kinaed nods at Kitty.

Zara tells everyone to go to confession.

Kinaed queries, "Anyone else want to tell us how their week of TI has been?"

Kinaed says, "If not, we can press on with Player Topics :)"

Zara states, "Its good for the soul after all. Even for sinful people."

Rey states, "It has been pretty fun. Had lots of fun scenes"

Sparkles says, "Was a bit quiet at times but had some interesting scenes. Things were fun in the Queen's earlier."

Kinaed smiles.

Kinaed questions, "Have people been making use of our daily quest locale?"

Kinaed claims, "It looks like today's special place is The Blind Horse."

Kinaed says, "One of my personal favs."

Anonymous states, "I've been able to make use of it several times so far... though not at the blind horse, obviously."

Kinaed states, "That's really good to hear."

Deedee states, "I've tried 3 days, but no one's showed up"

Temi says, "I need to have more time to actually go do some of those."

Kinaed comforts Deedee.

Zara states, "I like it."

Anonymous claims, "Thus far it's caused a few training scenes where I teach someone something. Which is fun."

Kinaed asks, "Are they advertised enough that people know where to go?"

Zara claims, "I have done it a time or two the first by accident."

Zara says, "I had no idea until I suddenly got a qp."

Kinaed grins at Zara.

Zara states, "It was awesome."

Deedee says, "I'm not sure. Maybe it would be good if it popped up routinely like the reminder for GLs about not voting for metrics"

Zara curtsies to Kinaed

Kinaed nods at Deedee.

Kinaed says, "I've jotted down a note for Staff Talking Points, and I'm glad that, for thsoe who have used it thus far, the experience was positive."

Deedee claims, "It shows up on login, but there's a lot of scroll when you log in so people might not notice"

Eos states, "It's displayed when logging in but I was fearing already that no one really reads that screen"

Kinaed nods at Deedee.

Kinaed nods at Eos.

Eos says, "Because I sure don't"

Deedee grins at Eos.

Kinaed queries, "I wonder if we put in a timer that's like 5 minutes after a person has logged in, and if they're not in RP, maybe send them an echo?"

Eos claims, "I can - try - doing that."

Temi says, "The voting code does it now"

Eos exclaims, "Is there a precedent - Oh!"

Kinaed claims to Eos, "I have some code that you can model it off."

Gnomely states, "I just hope it doesn't spam you too much."

Eos says, "What voting code."

Temi states, "Not 5 minutes, but a little longer"

Kinaed claims, "Yep, the voting code"

Eos states, "Yes then it's very easy."

Temi claims, "Autovote gives daily voting reminders"

Eos muses, "Post the message one gets in my board and I'll do it?"

Temi finishes abruptly, "By the way - turn this on if you want reminders"

Kinaed nods at Eos.

Kinaed says to Eos, "I'll do that. Thanks :)"

Kinaed claims, "Okay, kicking off Player Topics :)"

Kinaed states to Rey, "You're up first :)"

Rey claims, "I was reading the update to the vNPC policy and thank you all for the clarification, but there was an issue I came across. It said a vNPC can't be used to support guild activities. This becomes an issue due to currently most guilds being understaffed and timezones For example, when my character was injuried no Madison guildmembers were on. And they weren't on for at least 2-3 IRL days. Before this rule, another character with medical knowledge just used a vNPC to help treat me and my character hung out in the Madison. With these rules combined by some guildleaders telling people they can't do ertain things without higher level members there that means unless people's time perfectly align they can't learn or RP in their guild. A vNPC helps them to actually play in the guild if high level members aren't around. With some guilds having only two or three active members this can be a major problem. I believe either using vNPC helps to resolve this or guild leaders have to remove rules that will limit guild members RP when they are not available to RP due to timezones or limited availability."

Anonymous muses, "There was an update to vnpc policy?"

Kitty states, "I don't think that's what is meant by the vNPC supporting guild activities."

Kinaed states, "There was, and it actually contradicts the 2nd policy note, which is what Rey is talking about."

Temi states, "Not really a contradiction, since the second point says without staff"

(visnet) Staff Eos: Anyone not in the ooc chat meeting who wants to be in the meeting, send me a tell.

Kinaed says, "So the new policy item is as per our OOC Chat on March 7th where we decided that people can get vNPC help (from Staff) if a guild doesn't respond within a week and RP is being held up."

Kinaed says, "Well, that's true."

Kinaed claims, "But I think the wording can be tightened up a bit."

Eos has transferred Tamsin. [OOC]

Anonymous says, "Hrm."

Deedee says, "GLs can also selectively allow it"
Temi gives a long, fluttering dancing ribbon painted with small blooms to Tamsin.

Kinaed wrote both, so the fault lies with her.

Sparkles claims, "I think it's that people might be meaning/imagining different things."

Eos holds out her long dancing ribbon and twirls around, causing it to float around herself in her wake, wrapping her up in a light wrap that falls loose as she stops spinning.

Kinaed nods at Deedee.

Anonymous queries, "What about characters that have IC authority but aren't in guilds?"

Anonymous states, "Using VNPCs for things I mean."

Rey claims, "I worry about new people joining a guild and not being allowed to do anything since a GL or higher up member isn't available. But if the rule doesn't refer to that aspect then it works."

Traven trails off, "It ICly makes sense for the Physicians, and codedly, since you might make the issue worst..."

Rey states, "I know at least one person who quit TI after trying due to feeling they weren't able to actually do things in their guild without GL permission and the GL wasn't available"

Kinaed claims, "I think the point is that if a vNPC isn't under your authority, you shouldn't be using them, and sometimes even when they are (like let's say you're the Earl Marshall and suddenly RP that a mage is surrounded by vNPC knights) it's not appropriate. If you're in a guild, then you're allowed to use guild vNPCs within reason. Defining what is 'within reason' is something I may need to think about so we don't get really weird behavior"

Temi says, "We would definitely prefer that lower level guildmembers are able to do anything appropriate rather than staff."

Kinaed nods at Rey.

Kinaed claims to Temi, "I agree. Let's discuss this wording and fix it up."

Temi states, "And I personally am not a fan of guild restrictions that don't let their lower level guildmembers do anything useful without GL approval"

Kinaed claims, "I'll review the log of this discussion to make sure that I can articulate better what this help file ought to say."

Temi nods.

Kinaed says to Rey, "Thank you for raising the point."

Deedee states, "For me within reason is it's fine to puppet vNPCs at your own rank or lower in the guild"

Kinaed has transferred Murrmurs. [OOC]

Temi gives a long, fluttering dancing ribbon painted with small blooms to Murrmurs.

Eos throws the handle of her dancing ribbon in the air, catching it again as it descends, tail fluttering after.

Temi states, "Yeah, if you're puppeting an NPC to add more flavor and do something you yourself are able to do, all good. If you're puppeting an NPC to do something you can't do, or can't do on your own, that becomes problematic."

Kinaed states, "I agree - for effects that you yourself cana already orchestrate - so a physician using an Orderly to help turn a patient is fine. Using one to kidnap someone wouldn't be."

Deedee nods at Temi.

Kinaed sinks into momentary thought.

Kinaed asks, "Anyone else have any thoughts on this one they want considered?"

Cat says, "Yeah."

Kinaed's ears perk towards Cat.

Murrmurs states, "Could I have the initial statement shared with me via tell? I'm naughty and late."

Traven coughs.

Kinaed states, "Giving Murrmurs a moment to read."

Cat says, "So wouldn't that mean though if you are a student in the physicians and you are told not to treat someone without a doctor present and you are not allowed to rp a vnpc docotor watching you then you can still not do guild stuff without consequences. That is kind of bad for new players if people are not around. I mean other uild have that too I think. Maybe we should discuss that."

Kinaed claims, "In general, may I ask ... GLs being a bottleneck to RP seems to be a thing."

Kinaed muses, "Am I wrong about that?"

Kinaed nods at Cat.

Traven claims, "Yeah, definitely."

Deedee states, "I do feel bad that Physicians are so short-staffed"

Traven claims, "Which, ICly makes sense. But."

Kinaed claims, "I wonder if we should consider a discussion with GLs about deliberately doing everything they can not to be a bottleneck."

Traven says, "Yeah, that oo."

Anonymous says, "When it come sto the Physicians specifically, students and orderlies aren't allowed to use the TREAT command unless a nursia or higher member is there to supervise. The reason has alwys been because you can fail a treatment and make things worse with low skills."

Kinaed nods at Traven.

Murrmurs claims, "2c I have is just this: I think most GL RP limitation is off of "new folks might not know how to play this and here's how I can enact a rule to mitigate that" But---a low level phys puppeting a vNPC overseeing their treatment, for example, seems fine to me."

Sparkles states, "Yes, sometimes allowing people to do things means that people might make mistakes/cause problems etc, however, the alternative is folks feel not invested or involved in the game."

Rey says, "I don't think GL should make rules that prevent RP. How are to get better if they aren't allowed to make mistakes"

Kinaed says, "Honestly, I think things going wrong occasionally is also good for RP overall, though I get the code reason."

Deedee says, "I have allowed such before, but it's case-by-case"

Traven claims, "It makes sense, and I'd definitely not want to suggest taking away the risk for treat to make things worst, because there should be some risk for not going to a trained doctor."

Anonymous says, "They mostly get better through training scenes that the physicians have, based on prior experience."

Murrmurs , does not mean to imply they agree with that sort of practice. To be clear.

Rey claims, "Only if those people are available. "

Temi claims, "I'd rather those limitations err in the favor of getting everyone guild RP. Maybe you have to give an upfront warning you're still in training or such."

Traven muses, "But... Maybe there could be some coded... Reduced risk, for doing it in a safe place, and/or vNPCs that can oversee treatment?"

Kinaed claims, "Also, I hope we don't get stuck on Physicians. That's jsut one example."

Eos states, "I looked at the treatment code and yea you can fail the treatment and worsen the wound. There's also the possibility of killing someone but I don't remember the circumstances of that."

Deedee nods.

Temi states, "I know the merchants have been one where this has long been an issue too."

Kinaed claims, "Broadly, I think I've seen people generally going to GLs more than lower ranking guild people for things as a starting point."

Sparkles claims, "No, it's also 'don't patrol alone' for example or 'you can only sell things I directly approve'"

Deedee says, "I do want to stress, even if a PC isn't available, you're not being neglected. Just assume you're being seen to by vNPCs meanwhile, and please post a pboard to the physicians if someone doesn't log in"

Kinaed says, "And then GLs not really considering delegating or sharing information with their guilds to spread RP around... which in its own way is actually detrimental to the GL themselves as they get overburdened and exhausted."

Deedee says, "To schedule treatment"

Traven states, "Could be a vNPC 'tutor' that could be called upon, through some... Cost, perhaps, at Madisons, to prevent treatment failure, and maybe have that be an RPed step in the learning process for Students."

Kinaed nods at Sparkles.

Traven says, "Whether through IP or silver, or something along those lines."

Traven states, "Because IC, there are probably more physician tutors than we have PCs for."

Kinaed nods.

Rey claims, "I understand GL wanting to mitigate risk but I think risk is art of the game. So sometimes give the guildmembers to play their character a little more freely. Let them make mistakes and have risks. We shouldn't be risk averse"

Kinaed asks, "Any suggestions on how we can fix bottlenecking besides asking GLs to be mindful of the effect?"

Kinaed nods at Rey.

Traven says, "I disagree with that, some, Rey."

Cat asks, "Make it against GL policy?"

Temi states, "Well, I do think we should say that those long-term policies in some guilds are not required by staff. If GLs want to change them, we are a-okay with it"

Temi grins.

Traven claims, "We should absolutely be IC mindful of risk."

Anonymous claims, "I think if a guild, like the Physicians, reputation hinges on their ability to do their thing successfully... then them wanting to mitigate risk is absolutely understandable."

Kinaed states, "I dunno, it seems like there's good reasons for it sometimes. I'd feel odd constraining GLs to that level."

Deedee nods at Temi.

Anonymous says, "ESPECIALLY fi you can codedly hurt or kill someone by messing it up."

Temi states, "I know they originally came up many GLs ago, and I've sometimes heard GLs say they thought it was required"

Eos muses, "I think the dying is an edge case?"

Anonymous states, "I've never seen it happen personally."

Temi claims, "You cannot kill a player without using the finish command"

Deedee states, "Pretty edge case, but I've seen it happen lol"

Anonymous says, "But I hear its possible."

Eos states, "I just wanted to confirm that yea that's a thing"

Kinaed claims to Eos, "I don't think dying is something that a physician can accidentally do to someone in terms of code."

Deedee claims to Kinaed, "If they give someone a deadly poison by mistake"

Eos claims, "I read the code but maybe that part is deactivated"

Kinaed claims, "They can aggorvate injuries and make them take longer to heal or be worse."

Eos says, "Instead of, you know, deleted out of the code"

Sparkles says, "Overall ... this entrenched idea of risk aversion and gatekeeping is costing us players. There are a thousand reasons you can imagine for a reason not to include or RP with or want to engage or trust new people. However ... we get a reputation for that."

Temi says, "Well, that's not entirely true. There is a couple things. But treat is not one of them."

Deedee nods at Temi.

Kinaed says to Eos, "Let's confirm that... because if it is programmed that way, I don't agree with it."

Eos says, "Will do"

Anonymous claims, "I also want to say that for the physicians specifically... a lot of the time there just aren't non-GLs on. When I was GL for Physicians, most of the treatments were done personally because there just were no other members on to delegate to, and most hurt players don't want to be told 'I'm going to delay your treatment by 8 real life hours to allow for a non-Gl to log on'"
Kinaed nods at Temi.

Temi nods at Anonymous.

Gaiseric claims, "You know, it seems like telling people to just "assume vNPCs are present" is a bit of a wet band=aid for a missing arm."

Temi claims, "I think the thought is if the lower levels were less restricted, might be more people in them"

Murrmurs claims, "I agree with temi on that."

Traven states, "So it's just a cycle of defeating, with the Physicians."

Deedee says, "Well it's not without precenence, Gaiseric. See help captivity for example"

Anonymous says, "The idea is that vNPCs stabilize you so you won't bleed out and die until a proper physician can see you, gaiseric. At least thwat's what I was told."

Deedee nods.

Kinaed states, "I think at this point in time, it's probably just best to point out to GLs that - hey, when you receive a letter, maybe evaluate if other people in the guild could know about it and handle it, not just assume because it's directed at you, that you HAVE to be the one to Do the Thing. Also, remember that constraints on people's RP can make it hard for them to RP, and finally - existing policies and stuff CAN change as you want."

Deedee nods at Kinaed.

Sparkles nods.

Salem is idle.

Salem has returned from AFK.

Kinaed states, "I want to reiterate that the Physicians were just an example of the topic that was raised, and generally, I don't think they're a point of contention. I think bigger points of contention are things like big plots not being able to mvoe ahead because a GL isn't there, and lower rank people don't even know what the GL knows."

Kinaed says, "Anyway, I'll review this log and revise the policy on vNPCs again."

Deedee nods.

Kinaed claims, "Thanks everyone :)"

Temi nods in agreement.

Rey asks, "What do we do if a GL ignores that and still makes it hard for players to RP. Should they just go to staff?"

Deedee says, "Possibly. There's also the gambit system"

Temi claims, "We do want GLs to generally have control over how their guild is run, and the gambit system is the balance to that"

Kinaed says to Rey, "I think they should alert staff as a starting point, but Highly HIGHLY recommend 'support <name> subvert <reason>' then 'gambit'"

Deedee nods.

Kinaed states, "For the most part, Staff will assume people like a GL if a GL isn't being subverted into the ground."

Rey finishes abruptly, "Gambit is an IC action. I 'm thinking more OOC - as in a new player can't RP"

Temi nods.

Temi states, "And new players generally just won't stick around instead of fighting the system"

Gnomely nods at Temi.

Gaiseric states, "My point is more: If we just assume vNPCs will be there, regardless of the guild, it gives less reason for upper-level guild members to be active which in a LOT of cases, not just the physicians, is the issue. But conversely, bottle-necking from the GL's to prevemt potential problems, prevents lower-level guild members being active, or potential seekers even sticking to the guild. "

Kinaed wonders, "Yes, that's a thing staff have discussed. Is there a view of how players want it?"

Kinaed states, "I had an OOC report system designed that I think is on the bug board somewhere... lemme see."

Cat says, "I have something that I would like to raise as another topic."

Kinaed says, "Bug board 68- it's open to all players"

Kinaed claims to Cat, "I've added you to the list."

Kinaed claims, "But we should move on - running out of time."

Kinaed claims to Gnomely, "You're next on the list :)"

Gnomely states, "So my idea is really something cosmetic, that would be fun, and help promote more RP around the usage and smoking of drugs. I propose: Smoking smells. I have a forum post about this somewhere, but the general idea is this: Whenever you smoke, you generate a smell. Like when you have perfume. This smell would be based on how much you smoke, and within what timeframe you smoked it. It would leave a smell in the room, and it would have a build-up of smell on the person. That would fade, over time, or after your next bath. If it's high enough it could follow you through the room, AND maybe, pipe ashes and smells for track."

Kinaed asks, "Please introduce us to your topic?"

Deedee claims, "Yes, smoking tastes too. I've posted about that on the forums before"

Kinaed questions to Temi, "Can we handle that with soft affects?"

Anonymous says, "Bloodhound mode activiated."

Deedee grins.

Temi says, "Hrm. Not customizable ones."

Temi wonders, "You mean the message that gets added after your description when someone looks at you?"

Temi questions, "Or the tag under your name in the room?"

Gnomely says, "Both? Lol. Whichever is easiest, honestly."

Kinaed says, "I think staff can create specific smells on existing templates, but couldn't allow players to create them."

Deedee queries, "(also https://ti-legacy.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2224)"

Temi claims, "We can do the tag under your name with soft affects, and something built-into the smokables, if it's something people would appreciate."

Eos starts editing a note. (This is an OOC action)

Kinaed nods at Deedee.

Temi says, "For people to write their own custom descs for the smell in @smell, would require new code. As would it using tastes."

Kinaed nods at Temi.

Rey claims, "I like it. Can start some interesting RP if someone smells like an illegal drug."

Eos finishes her note.

Deedee grins.

Temi claims, "I'm guessing it would just mean no one would use it"

Anonymous pontificates, "SNIFF SNIFF WHATS THAT ANTOINE?! I SEMLL COARS RUBY"

Kinaed nods at Temi.

Gnomely says, "I feel like this would be a great new thing for the Grey Quater too."

Deedee asks, "Ruby's been decriminalized hasn't it?"

Anonymous states, "If it has, I have no idea."

Kinaed asks, "Potentially. Maybe we can add a smell to one, but not to another and see?"

Kinaed questions, "May I leave this in your hands, Temi, to investigate and further? I want to get to some of our other topics"

Sparkles claims, "Well or it adds the smell to the room. Either way."

Temi nods.

Kinaed says, "Thanks :)"

Temi claims, "Adding the smell to the room is also new code"

Kinaed wonders to Deedee, "You're up next. Did you find the item you wanted to share?"

Kinaed nods at Temi.

Deedee states, "Regarding rumors, many are popular for a short time, but then stick around long after they're relevant. I wondered if it could be changed so that the expiration is based more on whether they're still being actively promoted/positively influenced."

Kinaed states, "You can just add a mood too."

Kinaed nods at Deedee.

Deedee states, "It would be nice if it worked with the sniff code though. you can sniff a room, but almost no rooms have smells"

Kinaed says, "I think we like that idea. I'll put ti on staff talking points to discuss the effort and details involved."

Temi nods in agreement.

Kinaed says to Cat, "Okay, you're up next :)"

Kinaed starts writing a note. (This is an OOC action)

Kinaed aborts writing her note.

Kinaed starts editing a note. (This is an OOC action)

Cat states, "I haven#t pretyped. sorry"

Kinaed finishes her note.

Sparkles claims, "I think pyrings have smell code (awkward I know) so in theory that might exist ... somewhere in some capacity."

Deedee says, "Mmm."

Traven burns Cat at the stake.

Cat claims, "So I want to suggest/ask if staff could make a npc crime happen once every 2 weeks. That would give Reeves/knights something to spin their wheels with and mages/brotherhood has some denialbility."

Kinaed states, "If staff have the manpower, I'm happy enough for that to happen."

Kinaed nods at Cat.

Anonymous muses, "By crime I'm assuming you mean something small scale? Like a mugging or a break in or something, and not the assassination of Lord High whatever-his-name-is, Marquis of fairy-land?"

Deedee asks, "What kind of crimes?"

Temi states, "I would prefer to spend my time first helping players with their staff needs for RP, and definitely do not have the next manpower to commit crimes"

Kinaed states, "I'll add it to staff talking points as well. That could fit nicely into some of our monthly little deals."

Temi says, "At least not at a regular interval like that"

Deedee asks, "Do you want them to affect PCs, or just vNPCs?"

Traven says, "Everyone has time for crimes, Temi."

Rey states, "Maybe something like the Jade Arrow mobs in the sewers"

Eos states, "Those have to be created too unless we reuse the same ones every time"

Eos claims, "Like, our collective backlog is already massive"

Cat wonders, "That could also be cool. Maybe an npc that 'robs' a shop and people can only buy things once the guy is beaten and arrested?"

Traven asks, "Probably not a pshop?"

Cat claims, "It could be the same one everytime. just a hooded southside thug."

Kinaed says, "I've had the sense in the past that NPC crime isn't very fulfilling for people - but I think it's a good way to, as we said, obfuscate player crime to a degree, and ensure that players get the kind of RP they're signing up for. My only concern/worry is the effort it'll take to do it consistently, making a promise, and finding out we don't have the energy to upkeep it."

Deedee nods.

Sparkles muses, "Could some of it be automated with loads via Metrics?"

Kitty says, "Don't the staff run plots cover that already? I mean, kidnapping, etc, is already there."

Cat says, "Then maybe on a request basis? I can give staff a headsup when we got nothing to do."

Temi says, "The mini skill quests I've been working on can have some possibilities for stuff like criminals to stop"

Gnomely says, "I think the point is to not need to rely on staff plots all the time, or player plots."

Eos says, "That's just asking for RPA and yea you can do that"

Kinaed claims, "It could just be a bit of balancing our portfolio of what we're running for people towards crime stuff for awhile too."

Kitty says, "Thing is, that'd be a lot of work to have them work up constant crimes that aren't insta-solved."

Kinaed nods at Kitty.

Traven questions, "I think the idea is not a plot, but like, vNPCs that visit places?"

Kinaed states to Gnomely, "I think some of the point was also to make it less obvious when a crime is a PC versus an NPC too though, to reduce the risk to PC antagonists."

Traven asks, "Like, the Queen's, for example, for their 'protection fee'?"

Deedee muses, "Perhaps we could have some more staff-assisted, player-run things like the hillbeast?"

Traven states, "Oh, yeah, that too."

Kinaed states, "It occurs to me that with the storyteller system, players can also run things for themselves or their guilds."

Deedee says, "I mean, we can already do such through the ST system, but"

Kinaed claims, "If people wouldn't mind runnign some things, it'll be a huge help to staff."

Kitty says, "I think that we need to rely less on staff for these things, and if players see a need, they need to jump in and run things, too."

Deedee states, "With the ST system, it's more opt-in for those who want to participate, doesn't generally have far-reaching consequences"

Rey says, "I'm hoping to do some STs to elp provide guild activity when I can. "

Kinaed nods at Deedee.

Cat says, "I was thinking less plots and more grid stuff. following trails and stuff."

Kinaed states to Rey, "We would so deeply appreciate it."

Kinaed nods at Cat.

Deedee claims, "Thing is Kitty, you need staff permission for the sort of throw-away characters needed for tha"

Deedee states, "T"

Murrmurs is idle.

Murrmurs is no longer idle.

Temi states, "We are happy to approve even briefer silly things for STs"

Temi says, "They don't have to be massive epic campaigns, even if those have been awesome"

Kinaed claims, "I think there's a good idea in there, I'm just trying to figure out how we execute on it with the manpower we have. I think we can do things occasionally, but where I struggle is with consistency."

Eos states, "We've done some puppeting at the start and then just got too busy to do it"

Kinaed states, "That said, it occurs to me that perhaps members of the Brotherhood might not know how to best go about crime either in a way that is satisfying to them and the Reeves both, without being super risky."

Kinaed exclaims, "Omg, we're way over. Sorry, wasn't watching the time!"

Sparkles states, "I think the issue is with a lower playerbase there seems to be a lot of instant assumptions when crimes are committed."

Traven claims, "I think that goes for magery too."

Kinaed nods at Sparkles.

Kinaed nods at Traven.
Deedee nods.

Murrmurs agrees with Sparkles.

Traven claims, "Need to be vNPC mages in places."

Kinaed asks, "Are people happy to extend the OOC Chat? If anyone wants out, send me a tell and I'll drop you back :)"

Traven is fine with extended.

Gnomely claims, "I'm good to extend"

Tasker sneezes loudly.

Anonymous says, "I am fine staying here."

Anonymous says, "OH MY GOD TASKER IS STILL HERE RUN"

Temi nods.

Kitty is fine.

Kinaed smiles.

Rey states, "Here for it"

Deedee says, "Fine to finish up"

Murrmurs Question for staff---are you alright with folks showing up with ST concepts that involve needing mage unlawful types to have skilled for puppeting?

Tasker says, ":)"

Murrmurs trails off, "Mage OR unlawful. Don't use backslashes, murrmurs..."

Kinaed claims to Murrmurs, "Yes, we're pretty relaxed until a player says they hated the ST plot and/or that the ST was taking some sort of unfair/unreasonable advantage."

Kinaed says, "We mostly check to make sure whatever it is matches our theme."

Kinaed says, "Then say give it a go."

Murrmurs says, "That makes sense."

Gaiseric is idle.

Traven claims, "I definitely think like, a vNPC mage, wandering around in the city, drunk and using magic, when faith is low."

Temi says, "We also don't want you speaking for another guild, but there's plenty of other types of those shady characters about."

Traven says, "Needs to be a thing."

Kinaed nods at Traven.

Anonymous says, "Drunkenly shooting lightning bolts at cats."

Kinaed states, "It'd be super cool. It's boutique though, so staff running it... happens when a staff member has time."

Murrmurs nods with Temi.

Eos nods.

Traven says, "Then again... Piety is not likely to go low. >>"

Deedee says, "It happens."

Anonymous claims, "Not until some people nut up enough to actually subvert it, no."

Eos states, "We have been and are still talking about how to make Player vs player conflict worth it"

Kinaed states, "Luckily, our current staff seem to be somewhat whimsical and willing to just pop up an NPC and puppet them now and again to make something happen."

Murrmurs is a huge fan.

Sparkles says, "One thing is while STs exist 'in a vaccuum' sometimes the consequences to attending one don't. That's always been something I've pondered when considering running like 'darker' ones or such."

Temi claims, "We definitely don't want that to mean that the staff is the only place you're getting exciting RP"

Eos states, "Yea send a request board and I'll happily RP"

Temi states, "But we're happy to help make things more fun where we can"

Deedee asks, "Have you thought about letting players puppet some of the bit players for plots?"

Kinaed queries to Sparkles, "Have we seen bad consequences off the back of STs for people? Is that a big risk?"

Deedee wonders, "Like some of the jade thugs?"

Traven says, "I will say, for the metrics system... I would like to see that there are viable, IC reasons for players to want piety to be low, without risking like, being dragged away to the pyre. Something 'lawful'. Same with Lawfulness."

Kinaed claims to Deedee, "Yes, we've thought of it (albeit not htat one since it's well in-hand). We've even done it in some of our larger plots. Temi's created an off-grid murder dinner party kind of thing once and gave people NPC roles that PCs played, for example"

Kinaed claims, "During some of our wars, sometimes PCs would take on 'puppeting' or roleplaying the bad guys"

Anonymous says, "There generally isn't traven. But do note that it's nearly impossible to find out who subverts what, if you don't shout it from the rooftops."

Traven states, "That, or... Give all members of the Brotherhood and/or Manus the ability to affect the metrics."

Deedee states, "I missed that one"

Traven claims, "Without the IP cost."

Deedee says, "Everyone has the ability to affect metrics"

Kinaed nods at Deedee.

Anonymous says, "I am not in favor of that."

Temi claims to Traven, "Well, there's fun stuff like the grey zone with bordellos and gambling and drugs. Piety may have some things to say about that."

Sparkles states, "Hmm, I don't know about 'bad consequences' but I might have my own balance of what I consider 'bad' but I know during a previous staff plot folks were for example interviewed by the Inquisition for involvement."

Temi says, "But that's less code on the negative piety side."

Sparkles says, "So is that 'bad' ehh, no. Very themely, creates more RP. However that secondary RP now exists outside of the technical bounds of the ST."

Temi says, "Maybe I'll give them some fun restocks with low piety."

Traven laughs.

Deedee states, "I have mentioned before that it's all stick no carrot for a lot of iMetrics"

Murrmurs invests in iPiety.

Traven says, "True, yeah."

Eos starts editing a note. (This is an OOC action)

Kinaed states, "Did everyone who had a topic get a chance? I need to wrap up OOC Chat, I'm afraid."

Traven nods.

Deedee nods.

Anonymous questions, "Also the question becomes... how exactly do you sacrifice piety in favor of another metric? I mean by what means would someone icly accomplish that?"

Kinaed claims, "I think it was a good one though, and really enjoyed player input and thoughts."

Anonymous says, "I usually come up short asking that question."

Kinaed muses, "Can you bring the topic to next OOC Chat for further inquiry?"

Eos finishes her note.

Traven nods.

Kinaed claims, "Thank you so much, everyone. I hope you have a fantastic week :)"

Murrmurs exclaims, "Thanks for all of the cool stuff staff folks!"

Deedee waves.

Cat trails off, "Also everyone here is the call to defy sumptuary. It's only a 15 silver fine and the lost of that item. go rock some gold rings or somehting for the local cadet, once we have some..."

Kinaed states, "Just a note - a big thanks to our current Seneschal :) You've been active, proactive, and it's great."

Anonymous queries, "Are you SUUUURE you want me to violate sumptuary? lol"

Kinaed says, "In 11 days, this Seneschal term ends."

Anonymous claims, "Thank you, though I do think I could have done better."

Deedee declaims, "You did better than many!"

Kinaed states, "So if you're interested in running - please consider it. If anyone has any logistical questions about the Seneschal race, let me know :)"

Kinaed says to Anonymous, "You did better than so many :)"

Anonymous claims, "You can also contact me OOCly (or even ICly) about the bids if you wish."

Anonymous states, "Thank you"

Eos says, "I hope next race will be fun"

Deedee states, "The races can be pretty fun"

Kinaed exclaims, "I hope so too. Okay, wishing everyone a fantastic week, and look forward to seeing everyone next week!"

Kinaed nods at Deedee.

Deedee waves.

Kinaed trails off, "3..."

Kinaed claims, "2.."

Kinaed trails off, "1..."

Anonymous says, "Last"
help policy triggers, help policy non-consensual, help sandwich

• Information