Log of OOC Meeting - 2021-01-09

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Taunya

Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:12 pm

Temi muses, "Alright, Kin had some more moving related excitement today, so we're on our own.  Agenda for today 1) staff updates, 2)  player heartbeat, 3) player topics.  Does anyone have any topics to get on the list?"

Salem appears in a swirling mist. [OOC]

Temi claims, "Okay, not hearing anything, so, feel free to let us know if anything comes to you, but we'll get going."

Temi exclaims, "I'll start off!"

Deedee nods.

Temi has transferred Kuzco.  [OOC]

Temi states, "So, a little bit of time getting back into the swing of things after the holidays.  Unfortunately we didn't have folks to hold the OOC chat last week last minute, so we cancelled that, but I've been trying to keep up to date on plots and helping with building, and I'm working on filling out the mini-quest plans for skills."

Eos gives a scented candle shaped like a beaver jumping out of a sack to Kuzco.

Kuzco exclaims, "Thanks!"

Temi states, "I'll probably keep up with about the same over this next week."

Temi muses, "Eos?"

Eos nods.

Eos states, "I implemented tells and fixed bugs related to that. Helped Salem clean up the mess after the crash. Some progress in the "remind GLs to promote their members" thing. For the player logs I'm gathering, what I need still is a log of an execution that wasn't a pyring. Also working on a help games category listing help files for many games you can play ICly. Once one of these is done, I will look at contest roles and dice rolls for STs."

Deedee says, "Reply is still broken when told by staffers"

Eos states, "Will write a bug board to remind myself to fix it"

Temi asks, "Still some little fixes on that then.  Do we have an active bug board on it?"

Eos starts writing a note. (This is an OOC action)

Eos finishes her note.

Temi has transferred Tasker.  [OOC]

Temi questions, "Okay!  And Salem?"

Anonymous claims, "Bad tasker"

Eos gives a scented candle shaped like a beaver jumping out of a sack to Tasker.

Raspberries states, "I've got a number of non-pyring execution logs, will see what I can pull up"

Tasker states, "Fite me"

Eos says, "Salem is probably shoulder-deep in the code already"

Raspberries states, "I think I might have a draw and quartering one that'd be suitably messy"

Temi grins.

Temi pontificates, "Nice!"

Eos says, "Oh boy, yes. Throw them my way"

Eos claims, "And if you think something is particularily cool or themely? Also throw it my way."

Temi states, "Alright, we'll come back to Salem if we get his nose out of the code again."

Temi grins.

Salem claims, "My turn? Okay. I have read the code for the crash. And now I'm doing minor things."

Temi pontificates, "Ah, there we go!"

Temi nods at Salem.

Kuzco says, "Thanks for the hard work"

Temi muses, "Lots of getting the code into a prettier state, I think?"

Salem says, "Oh yeah. I'm refactoring and making it less bug prone. Ideally it's not notice by the players."

Temi nods.

Eos claims, "Also more manageable! Cutting down future development times significantly."

Temi states, "Yeah, whenever it looks like we're not seeing a lot out of Salem, that probably just means it's all working right."

Salem says, "Yeah. Ripping the fabric of reality apart to make it more pretty."

Temi grins.

Eos states, "Behind the screen Salem is working on basically rewriting the entire code base for that purpose, which is very exciting."

Kuzco exclaims to Salem, "Magery!"

Kuzco claims, "No srlsly great work"

Temi queries, "Okay, then, player heartbeat!  How's RP been this week?"

Hawali states, "If you don't hear it enough, Staff: we appreciate the heck out of the hard work you put in around here."

Salem claims, "I did my first 50000 lines of code. It's abunch of work, but very rewarding."

Eos says, "Thank you. <3 It's always nice to hear that, especially after that crash. Lmao. "

Temi has transferred Wimpled.  [OOC]

Kuzco exclaims, "I finished The Silver Horde. I think the folks liked it!"

Eos gives a scented candle shaped like a beaver jumping out of a sack to Wimpled.

Temi claims to Wimpled, "We were just starting Player heartbeat"

Kalana exclaims, "Excited about the little event I've got coming up after this.  Lots of preparation for that, but hopefully the invited people enjoy!"

Deedee declaims, "Wish I could have made it to that!"

Wimpled pontificates, "Beaver!"

Deedee states to Kalana, "And looking forward to it :)"

TheHeresyAgenda states, "I had tons of fun this week. Tons. Fantastic scenes and lots of progress."

Hawali claims, "Every time I turn around there's another plot pie to poke my fingers into. I'm a happy MUDder."

Temi grins at Hawali.

Temi claims, "Nice, seems like things are starting to pick back up, at least for those who are able to be around."

Kalana grins at Deedee.

Temi has transferred GeeBee.  [OOC]

Eos gives a scented candle shaped like a beaver jumping out of a sack to GeeBee.

Temi says to GeeBee, "We were just going over player heartbeat"

GeeBee declaims, "Thank you!"

Eos flips a scented candle shaped like a beaver jumping out of a sack into the air, and catches it as it begins its descent.

Temi asks, "Sounds pretty positive in general.  Anything else on people's minds or bothering them, that staff ought to know about?"

Wimpled lifts a scented candle shaped like a beaver jumping out of a sack to her nose and sniffs at it.

Eos says, "I should've made it smell like clean clothes."

Kuzco declaims, "Just hoping things pick up more!"

Wimpled claims, "Pine needles works."

Deedee claims, "Yeah."

Temi declares to Kuzco, "Always hoping for more of that!"

Temi asks, "Is there anything we think that is preventing more of the things picking up?"

Hawali claims, "I want to give some positive feedback to the new RP request mechanisms. Notify makes -everything- awesome, and I got to try out invite today as well; looking forward to using it more often."

Temi pontificates, "Oh, nice to hear!  That's definitely there for that purpose"

Sparkles claims, "On the converse, I feel like I might miss out on RP more often because of the changes to invite."

Temi queries, "Which changes specifically?  The phome one?"

Temi has transferred Souless.  [OOC]

Eos gives a scented candle shaped like a beaver jumping out of a sack to Souless.

Sparkles states, "Potentially, yeah. When folks don't have a lot of time to do the 'waiting to set up a scene' dance and it's kind of focused RP."

Kuzco claims, "Same for guildhalls"
Deedee nods in agreement.
Temi states to Souless, "We were just chatting about player heartbeat, reasons things might not be picking up more, and about the RP set-up mechanisms, notify and invite, and how those are working."

Sparkles claims, "It used to allow things to get started pretty quickly. I think the delay can encourage folks to invest their attention elsewhere and then the scene doesn't manifest."

Deedee claims, "Yeah, I've not been able to make use of it since it no longer works in guildhalls where I did my inviting before"

Temi asks, "How do you feel like it's adapted since that change?"

Sparkles claims, "I think a lot of the folks who were previously using it under the 'old system' kind of just ... don't anymore."

Temi claims, "I don't know if guildhalls was specifically planned, but we do want people to leave their phomes."

Temi states, "They don't necessarily have to stay out of them, but at least coming into accessibility is a positive, we feel"

Eos says, "Without looking at the code, it might not be so hard to make invites into guildhalls work again. "

Dollop begins to descend.

Dollop leaves down.

Wimpled says, "It marks public rooms in shops as phomes, though.  So you can be somewhere public, but can't invite."

Souless claims, "I feel like it's a slow start to the holidays, Corona, and the loss of peeps from the five minute."

Deedee nods at Wimpled.

Temi nods at Wimpled.

Wimpled claims, "Guildhall public rooms being blocked seems like it's also limiting public RP."

Sparkles says, "Well also any room with the 'Public' flag gets the rumormonger."

Temi says to Wimpled, "That's a little harder to adjust - the public shop rooms."

Sparkles says, "And that gets ... super spammy."

Eos starts writing a note. (This is an OOC action)

Sparkles says, "If a shop has a shopkeeper that should be arguably the 'public' room."

Eos aborts writing her note.

Deedee claims, "I wouldn't agree with that"

Deedee says, "Plenty of private areas with shopkeeps"

Anonymous claims, "I have a big room with lots of important keys that has a shopkeeper. That is not a public area"

Anonymous claims, "Soooo yeah"

Temi claims, "Basically, there's either horrible hacks, or not being able to invite into a shop front room, or not being able to track the front room as part of a phome."

Temi says, "And just the shopkeeper is not a good one to determine it, yeah"

Temi states, "Sounds like there's definitely some value in discussing it a bit further though"

Eos states, "Swiggity Swooty your keys are now mine"

Salem claims, "We could make a flag for it, but that would eat my time."

Deedee exclaims to Eos, "Swiper no swiping!"

Temi states, "So we'll put it on the list for staff to discuss further"

Anonymous states, "Oooooh im sorry eos"

Anonymous claims, "My shopkeeper only sells to nobility"

Anonymous claims, "Not freemen"

Anonymous says, ":)"

Eos states, "Gasps."

Salem claims, "Gasps."

Temi queries, "Alright.  Anyone have any further ideas in that area?"

Deedee says, "I'll see how things go"

Temi wonders, "Not hearing anything... so we don't already have any topics on the list.  Did anyone still have topics we didn't get on the list?"

Sparkles ponders.

Kuzco states, "I have a topic"

Temi nods at Kuzco.

Temi queries, "Okay, Kuzco?"

Kuzco wonders, "Should I?"

Kuzco nods.

Kuzco states, "So! I've been giving a lot of thought to the QP library shop. I've got to say I'm not very sold on it! While I recognise that 'lore hoarding' is a bit of an long running issue, I think this solution has been unbalanced to the other side. There's little mystery and inmersion now! I've got to break the fourth wall around this shop and even the most clueless mundane freeman can get classified Daravi intelligence. Could we instead put a few separate QP shops in secret places instead? So that getting there entitles you to the forbidden lore, and it gives some spooky but funcionally useless places some use."

Temi states, "Obviously, don't buy anything you don't think your character should have."

Kuzco questions, "Is it obvious though?"

Kuzco states, "The shop is to be treated ICly-ish"

Raspberries states, "I think perhaps the QP shop should be considered off-grid and OOC"

Temi says, "But for those who think you should have more than others think you should have... it's a complicated issue."

Kuzco asks, "What do you think of my suggestion?"

Temi claims, "We do have the thought to make the items there rotate a bit more, but we wanted to see how it was working out."

Temi states, "I don't know that a distinctly secrets-specified location IC on grid would be better."

Temi says, "That makes it a big target for the Order folks to want to shut down"

Sparkles says, "I admit I'm more confused on what's up there than anything. There's books that I know aren't up there (presently) versus buying a cheeky four page short story from a former contest for QP. "

TheHeresyAgenda is idle.

Temi states, "There may be others that could be there, but I'm not entirely sure what's there versus not now.  I think some of the ones that are are the ones that were already random restocks."

Hawali says, "I tend to spend my QPs on skill ranks when I'm rolling up a new character. Hmm."

NotNaomi asks, "Are quest points IC?"

Raspberries states, "On old TI, the QP shop just sold obtanium items, which were immune to durability loss"

Temi says, "We do want the QP purchases to be something that's valuable, but it is supposed to be a limited currency, that you can't get everything you want"

Temi claims, "Yeah, no obtanium."

Raspberries says, "I think QP are OOC"

Temi states, "And quest points are not IC, but they are essentially extra room for determining extra story stuff."

NotNaomi states, "I ask because if quest points aren't IC, it's semi hard to RP that you're buying things from there."

Temi says, "So if you're buying a book for QP, you're not buying it for QP, but you could be coming across an interesting book for a good deal, or you could be discovering it in an attic"

Temi states, "You don't necessarily have to be ICly buying it from that shop"

NotNaomi nods.

Kuzco states, "Yet someone could just hide there and watch"

Temi states, "We've always offered some flexibility in that for NPC shops"

Raspberries states, "I think the shop should be considered OOC rooms then"

Kuzco nods.

NotNaomi nods.

Wimpled claims, "Agree with Rasp."

Temi claims, "Kin didn't want to add an OOC room to the grid, because then that's abusable too."

Temi claims, "So it's semi-IC."

Kuzco says, "Alright! I've said my piece. I mantain my opinion. Other than that, I'm done here =)"

Raspberries claims, "I don't like the in-betweenness personally, but can visit it another time"

NotNaomi states, "Yeah, not really a fan of the in-between"

Temi states, "We haven't come up with any need to define it further, and not having it black and white makes a lot of things easier."

Temi claims, "If that becomes a problem, beyond making people uncomfortable, we'll definitely handle it."

Deedee states, "It's come up in rumors a lot"

Deedee says, "Which I found a bit immersion-breaking"

Temi questions, "Just the existence of it?"

Deedee claims, "Mentions of heretical items and such"

TheHeresyAgenda is no longer idle.

Souless has lost link.
Souless has reconnected.

Anonymous says, "Im gonna buy ALL of your heresy"

Deedee says, "Speak of the devil"

Temi states, "Well, there could 'randomly' be heretical items there, but we explicitly have said it's not curated to be heretical."

TheHeresyAgenda says, "Sorry I'm not for sale"

Sparkles states, "I mean in fairness there's probably heresy in a lot of shops, depending on how picky someone wants to be."

Temi nods at Sparkles.

Souless Truth.

Souless states, "As long as I can sell my nonheresy like a good Davite boy."

Temi queries, "Alright, well, anyone have any other topics they want to discuss?"

Raspberries states, "I came across a mud site that recently implemented a voting system, might be good to add to the list"

Eos wonders, "Voting for what?"

Raspberries asks, "Https://www.ipingthereforeiam.com/bbs/?step=detail&id=9862"

Tasker begins to descend.

Temi states, "Voting can definitely help get us new players, though I haven't noted people being good about voting in recent years"

Tasker leaves down.

Temi says to Eos, "Best muds"

Raspberries states, "The top 10 will show up on the front page"

Hawali states, "Nice."

Temi states, "Not really sure how voting works on this page as I look at it"

TheHeresyAgenda claims, "I tried to vote but failed"

Raspberries says, "Just click the little plus button next to the votes thingy"

Souless says, "We definitely could do better about voting."

Temi claims, "Previously, we've done really well with voting having player-led campaigns encouraging everyone to remember to vote that day."

Temi states, "On OOC chat back then, but could be a discord type reminder these days"

Temi questions, "What's the cadence of the votes on this one?"

Deedee states, "Seems there's fewer places to vote for muds now"

Temi nods.

Souless claims, "I definitely also think people should keep reaching out to former players. That's how I got back into the game."

Raspberries states, "I'm not sure- it looks like it might just be a cumulative thing"

Temi nods at Raspberries.

Souless claims, "Reach out to your friends, send them the links, tell em why you love the game."

Temi states, "So don't need a regular reminder on that one, just getting new people to vote"

Temi questions, "Okay, good reminder, and maybe post a request for us to take a look if we want to put that one on the helpfile?"

Temi asks, "Anything else folks want to talk about in our last 7 minutes or so?"

Souless says, "Also, being available in bars and taverns and social gathers is super helpful. It just means it's easier for new players to get involved in RP."

Temi nods in agreement with Souless.

Anonymous states, "I really want someone to get into a friendly bar brawl with me."

Anonymous claims, "But I know it won't happen"

Temi states, "Definitely something we love to see"

Souless states, "I know bar RP can be kinda lame but.. We gotta do it."

Kuzco states, "I used to tell people to vote daily but some folks  got snappy at me"

Wimpled says, "Bar brawls happen."

Sparkles says, "I got you, Anonymous. Time and place I'll start a bar brawl just for you."

Anonymous says, "Oh boy goodie"

Temi grins.

Anonymous pontificates, "New headline: Seneschal Bar Beat Down!"

Hawali states, "There are few things I love more than an honest to goodness bar brawl."

Temi claims, "Okay, more bar brawls.  I think that's on you folks to kick off."

Temi grins.

Anonymous claims, "Key word is FRIENDLY"

Anonymous claims, "As in, punch each other in the face but not try to kill someone"

Anonymous says, "Like a happy drunk"

Hawali waggles brows.

Sparkles says, "Alright guys, he means no knives."

Deedee claims, "On that note, we are still short on medics"

NotNaomi claims, "Bar brawls, yes please"

Sparkles trails off, "This is probably way late at the meeting to bring it up but ..."

Temi questions, "Yep?"

Sparkles wonders, "Speaking about being short on folks in needed spots. Given lower playing numbers has there been any thought on the Mage/Order policy?"

GeeBee is idle.

Temi states, "Staff aren't necessarily opposed to it, but players seemed pretty uncomfortable about others given crossover concerns"

GeeBee is no longer idle.
GeeBee has returned from AFK.

Kuzco nods.

Anonymous says, "I'm not in either camp and I'm concerned about it"

Anonymous says, "And am firmly against it"

Deedee says, "I think it's fine where it is."

NotNaomi nods.

Temi states, "We have chatted about it some, but not any decisions to adjust anything"

TheHeresyAgenda says, "I'd like to have the order mage policy changed yea."

Anonymous states, "Heresy from the heresy agenda"

NotNaomi nods.

Temi says, "Sounds on brand."

Raspberries wonders, "If we're having so much trouble keeping the order filled, how about overthrowing it to spice things up?"

Kuzco says, "People don't play order because they don't like being antagonists"

Raspberries states, "There's other sects and religions that are equally anti-mage to keep theme"

TheHeresyAgenda says, "Both are rather inactive, and from what I heard the issue was less crossplay and more "almost every orderite is a mage" which can be solved differently."

NotNaomi states, "I don't play order because I find religion to be one of the most boring things on the planet"

Sparkles claims, "While I completely understand the uncomfortable thing the discomfort doesn't seem to be manifesting more folks willing/wanting to play Order."

Temi says, "I think people really appreciate having the Order as a part of theme, they just don't necessarily want to be the ones doing it themselves"

NotNaomi nods.

Anonymous states, "I don't play Order because I have a fundamental OOC opposition to it and I don't believe I could do ti justice or set aside my prejudice to do so. And because I don't play alts."

Sparkles states, "Well yes which creates the issue if the folks willing aren't allowed to."

Souless says, "I definitely have been wanting to catch some Order RP, personally."

Raspberries claims to Temi, "Maybe we should take a poll on that"

Kuzco says, "There was already a poll on it"

Sparkles claims, "Also I find the number of folks who play a religion-heavy game who all hate religion the most curious thing."

Anonymous says, "We start off wanting to smash the Order and change the theme"

Anonymous claims, "Then we find out we cant do that"

Anonymous states, "And we stick around because tis still the best mud"

Temi grins.

GeeBee begins to descend.

GeeBee leaves down.

TheHeresyAgenda states, "It actually makes a lot of sense if you like to play in rp with things that trouble you irl"

Wimpled states, "I have played Order, but no longer play alts.  "

Temi claims, "Alright, well, I'll bring that up to discuss with staff, but I don't think we have a lot of appetite for removing the Order, so please don't hold your breath."

Anonymous claims, "Remove order, make Path of Fire ascendant"

Anonymous says, "Dun dun DUUUUN"

Sparkles claims, "I personally think a better answer would be supporting the setup of folks to take needed roles."

Anonymous states, "Probably. I'm just a useless memelord going for laughs and not getting them. Ignore me."

Souless claims, "So true lol."

Sparkles states, "But making say ... a Knight to a new player without a lot of RPXP in the bank might be really intimidating for example."

Temi nods.

Temi states, "Making that sort of thing easier might be an idea"

Temi claims, "But we'd have to discuss hwo to do it right"

Sparkles states, "But if the present playerbase isn't willing ... our answer is to appeal to newer folks."

Sparkles claims, "And those folks aren't going to have a lot of RPXP/QP."

Souless has lost link.
Souless has reconnected.

Souless has lost link.

Temi wonders, "Okay, we're out of time, in any case.  Any last minute comments?"

Sparkles nods.

Souless has reconnected.

Kalana exclaims, "Reminder to invitees about our little event!"

Anonymous muses, "What event?"

Kuzco claims, "And rememeber to recommend each other"

Raspberries states, "I'll just throw it out that pitting king against order could be a fun event"

Kalana declares, "Girls only!"

Anonymous states, "Awww"

Temi states, "Okay, sending folks back."

NotNaomi states, "Time for makeup and wigs, guys"

Deedee waves.

Anonymous states, "I'll put my disguise on"

• Information