OOC meeting - 01/11/2020

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Darkness

Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:01 pm

Kinaed states, "A reminder of the OOC Chat Pact: Regardless of what we discuss, we understand and truly believe that everyone on TI does the best they can, given what they know at the time, their skills and abilities, the resources available, and the situation at hand. We will be respectful of this and each other at all times."

Kinaed states, "Today's Agenda is:
   - Staff Updates
   - Player Heartbeat
   - Player Topics

Is there anything anyone would like to add to the agenda to make certain we discuss it today? If you register a topic, please pre-write it so you're ready to present it when called upon."
Kinaed has transferred Sparkles.  [OOC]

Kinaed muses, "No one? :)"
say None here.
Darkness states, "None here."
Temi gives a large, decorative cookie, half-dipped in a dark chocolate to Sparkles.

Morgalla claims, "Nothing for me."

Morgalla says, "Or, from me."
Kinaed nods at Morgalla.

Kinaed says, "Okay, if anyone thinks of anything, please send me a tell."

Kinaed states, "Meanwhile, let's kick it off with Staff Updates. "

Kinaed says, "Last week, I did a little bit of fill in for one of our staff who has been unwell. I haven't worked on any of the big things - but Turf Wars are still on my plate. :)"
Kinaed states to Azarial, "You're up :)"

Azarial states, "I've managed a few small typos and issues this week; nothnig major.  still working on gl bid automation."
Kinaed nods at Azarial.
Kinaed states to Azarial, "Thanks :)"
Kinaed states to Temi, "You're up :)"
Elysaveta has lost link.

Temi says, "I've been a little swamped with everything and RL, but just working on trying to keep caught up with plots and requests and such.  I think I'm a little behind on plots at the moment, so I'll be working on getting those done soon, but I hope everyone will be understanding if things take a bit longer than desired"
Kinaed nods at Temi.
Kinaed smiles.
Temi nods at Kinaed.
Kinaed claims to Erika, "You're up :)"

Erika states, "As for me. I've working on a bunch of things from behind the scenes. Most noteable is that I've been looking on improvements for the webclient for The Inquisition, eventually replacing the one that we're currently using for one that's more feature-rich and generally useful to everyone."

Kinaed beams.

Kinaed states, "Very excited about that."

Brando nods
Kinaed says to Erika, "Thanks :)"

Kinaed asks, "Okay, that's it for Staff Updates - any questions?"

Kuzco says, "Hmmm."

Kuzco states, "Can't think of anything right now."

Kinaed peers brightly at Kuzco. 

Kinaed states, "Cool :) Sorry, I just woke up. :)"

Kuzco says, "It's alright =)"

Kinaed wonders, "Player Heartbeat! How was the game this week, everyone? Good, bad?"

Francesca declaims, "All peachy over here. Thanks to everyone who came out to the merchant market last night. That was officially our biggest one ever (in terms of sales) and the RP was fun. So woo!"

Nadir exclaims, "Thanks for hosting it!"

Kitty states, "And, thank you, everyone, who attended the mass, as well. Greatly appreciated."
say A bit stressful. But that happens when you invest yourself a bit too much, methinks. And thanks for hosting it!
Darkness exclaims, "A bit stressful. But that happens when you invest yourself a bit too much, methinks. And thanks for hosting it!"

Elizabethany exclaims, "Excited for the event today!  But always pretty busy outside of TI"

Morgalla states, "Just finding my way back into the swing of things. Great to be part of the game again and looking forward to RP with all the characters around."
Kinaed has transferred MAMI.  [OOC]

Brando states, "I got off to a good start with my new main ... but I had an issue with univited guests messing with my RP and i missed a meeting with another player and I am sorry about that ok. rest of the week RL took precedence."
Kinaed smiles at Morgalla.

MAMI waves hello.
Kinaed comforts Brando.
Temi gives a large, decorative cookie, half-dipped in a dark chocolate to MAMI.

Morgalla pontificates, "Hi Mami!"

Civetta states, "Was down on RP hours until yesterday, yesterday was several kinds of sublime"

Venamelia claims, "Made significant bonding between Vena and the fellow Reeves. Very happy about it. Nearing 70 hours RP active and wonder if I can get those 70 hours >.>"
Kinaed smiles at Venamelia.

Sparkles claims, "The Faire and the Mass was lovely. Looking forward to the potential of follow up with all the new nobles about."

Saren claims, "I have not been around much, work has taken over. But I'll keep trying to catch what RP I can."

MAMI pontificates, "Hey Morgalla! :)"
Kinaed has transferred Elliot.  [OOC]

Arlen states, "The Faire was, indeed, very nice."
Kinaed nods at Saren.
Temi gives a large, decorative cookie, half-dipped in a dark chocolate to Elliot.

Kinaed says, "I want to say thank you to the organisers for both Mass and the night market. It's really great when players run events for one another, and you're awesome to spend some of your time on TI on everyone's enjoyment."

Kuzco claims, "I had a fun amount of work whipping some GLs into obedience towards some high stakes civil war efforts"

Kinaed claims, "For those of you who benefitted from the RP of others, please don't forget recommends :)"

Francesca didn't get whipped. Feels bad, man.

Lans says, "I terrorised a mage or three. It was entertaining."

Lans offers to whip Francesca. Chastely.

Francesca says, "LOL."

Kinaed queries, "It's good to see/hear, by and large, that people are having a good time this week. Anything shitting anyone that they want Staff to know about? (That isn't already a topic:))"
Candle has lost link.
Candle has reconnected.

Venamelia asks, "Oh yeah, been trying to recommend a lot more. But not sure if they been rejected or what right now. >.> And we can rec people for organizing events as a reasoning?"

Temi finishes abruptly, "They've not been rejected or accepted - you'll get a pboard for rejected"
Kinaed states to Venamelia, "Absolutely."

Temi pontificates, "That would be a symptom of the swamped at the moment - don't worry, we'll get through them!"
Kinaed claims to Venamelia, "In fact, we hope recommends are used for things like making plot and stuff for other people rather than 'you're great, I like you!' kind of things."

INFO: Marton has just created!

Kinaed states, "The recommend system came up as one of the ways to reward villians in its infancy."

(visnet) Staff Kinaed: Welcome to TI, Marton :)

(visnet) Staff Kinaed: This is our player assistance channel if you need help with anything. To use it, type 'vis <message>'.

Brando says, "Help recommend has two lists of what is applicable to recommned for."

Kuzco claims, "I hope people drowned Raylene and Francesca with recommends for their hard work."

Venamelia understands and salutes Temi "Understood! Just making sure." and to Kinaed "I will copy that over to my notes. I think that is pretty good a pointer." :)
Kinaed nods at Kuzco.

Temi claims, "Yep, we've got a bunch of recommends just waiting for a bit more of our time"

Kinaed states, "I haven't checked the recommend list - but one of our staff has been quite ill who normally handles that, so I'll resolve the recommend queue today."

(visnet) Player Helmir: Welcome Marton! If you have any questions, please feel free to offer them up via <visnet> 'message' o7

Francesca claims, "Poor Niamh. Hope she's all better soon."
Kinaed nods at Francesca.

Temi says, "I've started on them, but didn't make a huge dent"

Kinaed claims, "From what I've heard recently, she will recover - but it wasn't good, and recovery may be slow."
Kinaed nods at Temi.

Candle wonders, "What happened to Niamh?"
Kinaed claims to Candle, "I'm not certain if I should say."

Brando says, "Please dont."

Temi says, "We'll let her share what she wants in her own time, yeah."
Kinaed nods at Temi.
Candle nods.

Venamelia states, "Thank you for the thorough answer."

Kinaed states, "Also, I don't want to accidentally give any of her alts away :)"

Brando says, "She is ill and thats alll we need to know."
Kinaed nods at Brando.

Kinaed says, "Okay, so. Someone sent me a tell."

Kinaed states, "They want to know what staff are doing about the fact that a banned player logged in and whatnot."

Kinaed states, "So, the player in question is Donovan. This player was banned probably two years back."

Kinaed claims, "They've requested for themselves and their partner who played Claire if they could be let back."

Morgalla muses, "Why were they banned?"

MAMI trails off, "I remember them..."

Nadir says, "Https://ti-legacy.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1693 <- policy disclosure on their ban"

Kuzco asks, "Didn't they get re-banned in mid 2019?"

Kinaed states, "We banned them after they rage quit because we strongly believed they were bad for TI's environment and they were extremely difficult to deal with. We had multiple 'small policy' encounters with them and a strong suspicion of collusion, but not a lot of proof. We felt like they'd use policy to 'protect themselves' by doing things that are technically okay when the big picture was very much not okay."
Kinaed claims to Kuzco, "Yes, we had two players that came in whose IPs were from the same general location and whose behavior was strikingly similar. We strongly believed they were the same players."
Elysaveta is idle.

Kinaed says, "Anyway, where we are at with that - due to Niamh's illness and my business, we hadn't be able to get together as staff."

Brando pontificates, "I feel that it is up to satff to decide this as they will have to deal with any fallout. Ima fine for previously banned members to come back ... if they agree to toe the policy lines set. OTHERWISE no way!"
Kinaed nods at Brando.

Candle finishes abruptly, "I don't mind if they're unbanned, but I played with them both times and the level of unabashed OOC contact got a little tiresome at times - I'd want to know that wouldn't happen again"
Kinaed nods at Candle.

Kinaed claims, "Honestly, I would prefer we didn't trial them by mob."

Kinaed claims, "Staff will make the decision and handle it; and I've committed to providing that decision to the players today one way or another."

Kuzco simply nods.
Candle nods.

Sparkles questions, "Just to clarify is it the general policy though that anyone banned can ask staff to review the ban?"

Kitty states, "I only played with them the second time, and to be perfectly honest... they made my stomach churn. Every scene had to revolve around them, and if it didn't, things were made up that were absolutely ridiculous to make it so. They pushed OOC situations (like needing to log off because it was late) into IC insult. It was... I literally feared walking into a room and having them be there. The level of drama was... not the normal level."

Kinaed says, "So I guess the answer to the anonymous question is - yes, staff are terribly slow, particularly when one of us gets knocked out of commission and the others are busy - but yes we're aware and looking into it and will resolve it within the next 24 hours."

Brando states, "( mob rule ) democracy is the worst form of justice aside from all the others. Thanks to staff for handling this ok."

Venamelia states, "I don't know if I should offer replies. I don't know them and am still relatively "fresh" to TI, so whatever I say does not carry much value. If they are "extremely" difficult to deal with, maybe it is not a good idea. On the other side, if they "protect themselves" behind wording of policy alone, rather than RP courtesy, it may not be wise. But this is me talking without knowing if I even should. Please feel free to disregard as wanted, of course >.<"

Kinaed states, "Say I should let people know that the player in question is online now and in this room."

Kitty states, "And the log is posted. Not like they couldn't see it either way."
Kinaed nods at Kitty.

(visnet) Player Truth: Is it possible to remove those price tags from purchased items?

Kinaed claims, "Fair enough."

(visnet) Player Nadir: Label <item> remove

(visnet) Player Truth: Thanks!

Kinaed states, "Okay, that wraps up our Player Heartbeat section, and moves us to our Player Topics section - but no one has registered any topics."

Kinaed muses, "So we can continue to chat about anything people want to and see where the wind takes us, or we can wrap up early? "

Brando states, "I'd like to chat for a bit ."

Morgalla claims, "I don't like the idea of adding more work to staff's shoulders. If that's a risk in letting these players back, no offense to them, I'd rather the ban stay."

Kinaed states, "Maybe have a look at the forums and see where we're at? Oh, I forgot to post the current status of Turf Wars on the forums... should do that."
Kinaed nods at Morgalla.

Sadon questions, "What's turf wars?"

Sparkles says, "I've got a question that's mostly just a passing curiousity."

Kinaed says to Sadon, "It's an optional system where players can lay down claim to areas in the game with their IP and get benefits if they're the controlling player."

Kinaed states to Sparkles, "Sure :) Go for it"

Sadon nods at Kinaed.

Sparkles asks, "Has there ever been thought about expanding the color selection?"

Temi claims, "Yes, there has been thought.  No, it's not easy."
Kinaed nods at Temi.

Temi says, "I think there were some things that would need a big revamp before Az could even look at it, but he could say more"

Kinaed wonders, "Also, I've thrown my current "Work in Progress" Turf Wars update into the forums here: https://ti-legacy.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 275#p15275"
Kinaed nods at Temi.

Nadir states, "Not sure the effort it was worth it. Adding more color support to code systems that weren't built to support it initially gets messy, especially with how clients process it"
Saren has lost link.

Kinaed claims, "I think our new staff member, Erika, has some ideas around that though."

Sparkles says, "Most modern clients I think support color though. Mushclient does and it's like beastly old."

Francesca says, "Well I'm all for more colors, but I understand it gets buggy when adding them into an existing system. But I'm biased. Crafter and all."

Candle asks, "Has there been any progress on any of the various skill revamps? Hide/sneak & adding to magecraft?"

INFO: Shadir has just created!

Brando nods

Erika states, "Well. On the perspective of the client it's possible. It's mostly that code-wise the ability for the colors need to be added."

Nadir says, "But there's things mushclient supports that will be completely scuffed on, say, mudlet"

(visnet) Player Hulda: Hello Shadir. Welcome to TI-Legacy MUD game. Please type visnet <question> if you have any questions ok. :)

(visnet) Staff Kinaed: Hello Shadir :)

Nadir states, "But it took weeks to resolve some nasty bugs that displayed pretty critical OOC information, I just don't know where color support fits in compared to fixing stuff like that"

(visnet) Player Shadir: Hi!

Temi says, "Anyway, answer is... I think we definitely like the idea and know some people would enjoy it, but maybe don't hold your breath on soon."
Temi grins.

Kinaed claims, "Anyway, we have thought of increasing the color pallet, but haven't actually done so and have no concrete plans at the moment to do so. :)"
Kinaed nods at Temi.

Kinaed says, "If a lot of people want it, obviously it'd be higher priority. It's just not at the moment."

Kinaed questions, "Anything else on people's minds to discuss for 20-odd minutes?"

Venamelia states, "Got a question actually."
Kinaed smiles at Venamelia.
Kinaed wonders to Venamelia, "Sure! What's on your mind?"

Venamelia questions, "So, I came to RP in a situation where a sparring opponent was not very good at their weapon and it allowed to easily improve the countering defense skill. It was a natural part and conclusion of RP, but is it even permissible to "construct" it, so long as it is backed by RP or would this be using an exploit to speed up the progress?"

Kinaed claims, "I think that's a natural curve we've built in."

Sparkles claims, "I think that's kind of a natural part of sparring with different levels of opponents."

Kinaed states, "We want people to learn by going to teachers because it creates RP."
Kinaed nods at Sparkles.

Brando nods

Kinaed says, "So we've deliberately made teaching, particularly combat, rewarding."
Kinaed has transferred ToffeeApples.  [OOC]
Temi gives a large, decorative cookie, half-dipped in a dark chocolate to ToffeeApples.

ToffeeApples claims, "It's ok. We can begin now"
say I don't think they mean making use of the teach skill.
Darkness claims, "I don't think they mean making use of the teach skill."

Venamelia claims, "Well, it was very rewarding to be the teaching one that got their defensive skill to more than can be grasped >_> Just making sure this is even okay."

Venamelia claims, "Yes, did not use the teach skill. Was spar. I can elaborate >.<"
Temi grins.

Temi says, "We don't want it to be one way, only good for one person."

Brando says, "Yes it is ok IMO. the games designed like that ok."
Kinaed grins at ToffeeApples.
Civetta has lost link.
Civetta has reconnected.
Kinaed states to Venamelia, "That's fine, same deal."

Venamelia claims, "Alright then. Thank you."

Kinaed says, "I think we specifically wrote code that makes sparring very effective for teaching (as opposed to lecturing) for combat."

Kinaed claims, "No worries :)"

Kinaed says, "Anything anyone else wants to chat about? Also, thanks for bringing up the query, Vena, when you're not certain how things ought to work."
Lans is idle.

Elizabethany claims, "I have a topic for a merchant friend, if we have a little time."
Lans has returned from AFK.
Kinaed states to Elizabethany, "We sure do :)"

Elizabethany states, "Well, it seems like they have been getting a bunch of orders and purchases from people that want to do it to help them out, and sometimes that's creating an odd balance where they are just trying to keep up with those things and it's hard to balance with time to RP instead, so.. if anyone has ideas to pass on to them."

Francesca says, "Welcome to life as a merchant."

Brando lols

Kinaed claims, "Oh my, I have no idea how to address that."

Sparkles asks, "This is kind of an overall idea but maybe things would sometimes be less stressful for Merchants if folks went in together on businesses?"

Kinaed muses, "Maybe say no to people when you're over-burdened?"

Francesca says, "That was unhelpful, but that's what happens and why we have so much burn-out in the guild. People end up just coming to you for orders instead of RP and invite you to scenes just to spring an order on you. I would tell them to learn how to say no."
Kinaed nods at Sparkles.
Elysaveta has left the game.

ToffeeApples claims, "RPing that you've got too much work is an option as well. "

Brando states, "I'd almost kill to have that problem."

Sparkles claims, "It might able be that tends to be a lot of Merchant characters RP hooks."

Sparkles muses, "So people might think that is giving them RP?"

Kinaed says, "It is better to get things from Merchants, but that's not always an option, and there's always another way to get pretty much anything in game if a Merchant can't or doesn't want to do it."
Kinaed nods at Sparkles.

Morgalla states, "Play up your exclusivity."

Brando states, "Help blackmarket is your friend."
Kinaed trails off to Sparkles, "That's a good point - in one way, it does look a bit like 'by virtue of joining the Merchants, you want RP that is about orders'..."
Kinaed nods at Morgalla.

Elizabethany claims, "Yeah, it's a hard balance between wanting to be there to fulfill the orders people really want, and the big orders people are only making because they think you want them to make them"

Kinaed says, "For the record, it's okay to say no."
Kinaed nods at Elizabethany.
Kuzco nods.

Francesca claims, "But yeah, what works for me is that I know my limits and only take X amount of orders at a time. Once I'm full, I'm full and everyone else can suck it. But I'd tell them that if they feel like people are just giving them orders for the sake of giving them something to do, tell them to speak up on it."

Francesca says, "Communication is key. If they're overwhelmed, they need to nip it in the bud now because burn-out is hella real and it's hard to bounce back from it."

Kinaed states, "It's very similar to how artists open commissions online."

ToffeeApples states, "Complete the order with mistakes in it for fun"
Kinaed grins at ToffeeApples.
Temi grins.

Kinaed claims, "I hope this has been somehow helpful."

Elizabethany exclaims, "I'll pass it along!"

Francesca says, "And feel free to tell them to reach out to me OOC, if they need to, Elizabethany. I can give some more catered advice or a pep talk or whatever."
Elizabethany nods at Francesca.

Kinaed exclaims, "Okay, well... with 8ish minutes still to go - may I ask people to consider writing reviews on either TMC or Reddit, or inviting your friends to try us out? It'd be good to get more people to join us so TI feels bustling. Honestly, this is the best wholist we've had since before the holidays - thanks for joining, all of the new players!"

Brando agrees

Sparkles claims, "Also just keeping an eye on the MUD thread on Reddit and bumping us when folks ask for something that we might kind of fit."

Morgalla states, "Nervous breakdowns can also be played out IC instead of cutting everything off OOC. (My favorite.)"

ToffeeApples says, "A few people in r/mud have told me they'd try us out. Dunno how many actually followed through"

Venamelia muses, "Did ask a friend but they stare at the "Tutorial" and are helpless. But then, they aren't used to reading with RP and are too... distant to reading, I guess? I was once, too >_>"

Civetta claims, "Also shout out to old players returning, it's super great"
Sparkles nods.
Azarial peers about intently, then chases her tails once, twice, thrice--she's gone! [OOC]
Kinaed nods at Civetta.
Kinaed smiles.

Kinaed claims, "Sure is"
Candle smiles.

Morgalla beams at civ. 

Candle finishes abruptly, "Managing to beat a TI addiction is almost impossible - take it from me"

Sparkles declaims, "So don't forget everyone in a few hours is the play tonight, we'd be delighted to anyone who wants to come and watch!"

ToffeeApples claims, "I'm /u/MrDowntempo on there"
Kinaed states to Sparkles, "Oh, that's so nice. Thanks for running a play :)"

Francesca questions, "8 pm server time, right, Sparkles?"
Kinaed smiles at ToffeeApples.

Francesca pontificates, "It's Satoshi running it!"

Elizabethany states, "Will be there!  I guess I have to be."
Elizabethany grins.

Sparkles claims, "It is, I'm just here as the herald."

Francesca claims, "And I know he'd super appreciate a lot of support and attendance. I have a baby shower to go to in an hour IRL so I won't be there, alas :("

Venamelia says, "2am then >_> well, I want to get to 70h RP active, so it works for me."
Kinaed smiles at Francesca.
Kinaed says to Francesca, "I hope you have fun regardless. :)"

Kinaed trails off, "It's about that time..."
Saren is idle.

Kinaed states, "Thank you for attending this week's OOC Chat, everyone."

• Information