Log of OOC Meeting 3/2/19

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Kuzco

Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:32 pm

Kinaed questions, "Today's Agenda is:

- Staff Updates
- Player Heartbeat
- Player Topics

Is there anything anyone would like to add to the agenda to make certain we discuss it today?"

Kuzco stops using an engraved pewter chalice pendant on a short, leather cord.

Sparkles claims, "I have a topic I'd like to bring up."

Tengu stops using a tiny medallion missing a hawk-shaped cut-out in the stone.

Kuzco states, "Hey I have no item"

Kinaed claims to Sparkles, "Registered :)"

Temi claims, "The items are on the ground. We were having targeting issues."

Kuzco pontificates to Temi, "I'll give you a targetting issue!"

Kinaed says, "If you have a topic, please pre-write it so that you're ready to introduce it when it's time. :)"

Rose puts a tiny medallion missing a hawk-shaped cut-out in the stone in a small blue satchel of dyed leather, fit with thin straps.

Kinaed states, "ALso, you can register topics as the meeting goes on by sending me a tell. Now, let's kick off with Staff Updates."

Kirill says, "I really want to suggest adding an automatic color tag stop at the end of OOC names in the code."

Kitty chuckles.

Kinaed claims, "This week I had a fair amount of policy, and I still have a few things to wrap up around that. I also need to pick up and finish the Jail Automation spec now that I've gotten Reeve feedback. That's it for me."

Kinaed says to Azarial, "Your turn."

Azarial claims, "I hvae been poking at the bug board for the most part. nothing too major, and maybe a crash or two, though it's hard to tell as niamh has caught up on the changes board."

Kinaed nods at Kirill.

Rose pontificates, "I did fix my name... I think!"

Kinaed questions to Azarial, "Are you working on any of our larger specs at the moment?"

Kirill gives Rose a thumbs up.

Azarial claims, "Some; trying to finish a few of them up."

Azarial says, "The blackmarkety object handling is not nearly as clean cut as it was for plots"

Kinaed nods at Azarial.

Kinaed is having a quick look at the changes board.

Kinaed says, "I'm not seeing anything major on Changes or Completed. An update to strans for storytellers, looks like, may be the only thing worth mentioning."

Kinaed says to Azarial, "Thanks for the hard work this week :)"

Azarial claims, "Welcome"

Kinaed states to Temi, "Your turn. :)"

Temi claims, "I've been working on handling plot responses for people - trying to do a better job of keeping on top of those with the new system."

Kinaed nods at Temi.

Temi says, "And we've got an open court after this with the Queen to kick off some additional storylines"

Temi says, "It shouldn't be too eventful itself, depending on what people bring to her, but I'm not planning to explode anything yet, if you can't make it"

Temi states, "Unfortunately, not a lot of progress again yet on the turf wars, but hopefully I can get back to that this week."

Temi nods at Kinaed.

Kinaed says, "On that - a quick reminder to players. Plots are for making the world react to things you've already done OR to bridge the gap between what is codely possible and what is possible in "a real world". In both instances, please actually take action as far as you physically can before raising a plot. RPA doesn't "

Kinaed states, ""buy a desired outcome"."

Kinaed states, "Oops, hit enter too soon"

Tengu says, "Rip"

Kuzco says, "Oh yeah, if you're gonna investigate a quarter, try to walk around it, leave moods etc"

Kinaed claims, "Thanks, Temi :) Much appreciate."

Sparkles asks, "Once a plot is closed is a pboard the best way to ask a follow up question?"

Kinaed says to Sparkles, "You can Request Board"

Sparkles nods.

Temi nods.

Tengu questions, "Investigate?"

Temi claims, "If something is primarily a question if you can do something, you may not need to do a plot for it. Request board is fine if you don't need an IC action"

Kinaed nods at Temi.

Kuzco claims, "Tengu: Suppose you want to check the vandagan quarter to see if the robbery in that area left any NPC witnesses"

Kuzco says, "So you make a plot, put as action "Tengu walks around, pays munnies, buys drinks, asks questions""

Kuzco says, "Then consider taking a walk around there and maybe leaving a mood"

Tengu says, "Aaaah."

Kuzco states, "Or a rumor"

Temi claims, "Also, moods already left there may change the plot questions you want to ask."

Azarial claims, "More, take a walk around, leave a few moods, wite a few rumors, then plot about it."

Galax asks, "Are all attempts to take action via a Plot also necessarily RPA?"

Tengu states, "Mm. Seems a bit beyond mea t present, I've never dealt with plots before."

Tengu says, "Me at*"

Temi states to galax, "Nope, there's also the ability to engage with staff-sponsored plots and just let us know what you're doing"

Temi says, "But the roleplay assistance plot type is for RPA"

Kinaed wonders, "I think this is it for Staff Updates. :) So, next on the Agenda - Player Heartbeat! How was the game last week, folks?"

Galax states to Temi, "Gotcha"

Flower says, "I was very out of rp this week, but spent plenty of time here. :/"

Tengu states, "I've been gone for like... a couple months."

Pookstall claims, "Another busy week OOC for me, but should be around for stuff this weekend"

Kuzco claims, "I had an unusual week travelling out of Lithmore"

Kuzco states, "And when I saw awesome I mean "hella freaking balls-to-the-wall awesome""
Kinaed nods.

MrDowntempo exclaims, "I had an En Passant that was fun!"

Kinaed claims, "This sounds generally positive, so I'm glad people mostly had fun :)"

Tengu shrugs.

Kirill claims, "No complaints here."

Rose declares, "It was my first week but very fun!"

Kinaed smiles.

MrDowntempo claims, "Tasker ran a fun story as well"

Kinaed declares to Rose, "I'm glad you're enjoying your first week. Welcome to TI!"

Galax says, "I think I'm starting to get event fatigue, which I didn't know was possible, but I want to say this is a positive thing because it means the game has been very event-ful."

Kitty states, "RP was slower this week for me, but mainly because of my own schedule, no one else's fault. What I did have was excellent."

Kinaed smiles at Kitty.

Rose declaims, "Thanks! My only issue sometimes is that most people in 'where' are in places I don't know, so it's hard to find rp naturally!"

Kinaed nods at galax.

Fletcher states, "I was absent and I apologize to all if they were relying on me to RP. :("

Tengu states, "Or they leave it on in private homes."

Kuzco looks at Rose: "Don't worry, I'm returning to the city, and I'll make sure troubadours are whipped into public activity if they haven't been."

Kinaed claims to Rose, "I noticed that, actually. I logged in with a player at my office, sitting with him and helping him create directly. When we typed where, there were something like 7 groups RPing online, but all of them were private."

Sparkles asks, "Hmm, if it's in places you don't know, maybe it will encourage you to explore?"

Kinaed claims, "I know that's a bit frustrating, but my suggestion would be to ask on visnet or OOC if anyone is interested in RPing, or if you see someone you've met, perhaps sending a messenger or tell."

Kuzco pontificates, "Or write the troubadours!"

Kuzco states, "I pay them for exactly this."

Kinaed claims to Sparkles, "Oh, in my instance with the new player friend-of-mine, everyone was in a phome or not publicly accessible."

Pookstall finishes abruptly, "I leave my whererp on in my house when I'm open to receiving messengers for people who want to RP - probably helps my house is a bit obvious it's mine"

Flower states, "I hung out with rp off most the week, uninterested or unable(kids) to rp."

Kinaed nods at Flower.

Kinaed states to Flower, "Sometimes, that's just how the cookie crumbles."

Kinaed states to Rose, "But there's nothing wrong with asking people if they want to RP on TI in OOC Channels, though it's great if you get into the habit of sending messengers."

Galax states, "I think it's hardest for new players, who don't have social connections or might not be able to invent a reason to messenger someone important. Or even know how important someone is."

Kinaed nods at galax.

Rose claims, "I guess I could travel directly to rp, but the only time I've been able to do that without getting an error was at a place called BlueBird. Otherwise it's kind of been impossible for me to find rp with 'where' so I sit in public places with rp on waiting... and usually nobody comes by anyway."

Kinaed states to galax, "Then I recommend setting something on fire. 'Cause fire's pretty cool."

Galax says, "Hmmmmm."

Kinaed nods at Rose.

Moneybags nods at Kinaed.

Galax claims, "Fire is pretty cool."

Tengu says, "Fire."

Tengu states, "It's pretty cool."

Tengu nods.

Kinaed states, "You can travel to the Crossroads first, which is *usually* in rich of most places inside of the city."

Pookstall states, "Nah, it's fairly hot."

Tengu states, "SmmmmMOKIN'."

Kuzco says, "I'll make sure to try to address this"

Kinaed says, "If you're getting an error, though, and you're at the Crossroads, and it's clearly a city location - they are probably behind a locked door (ie, in a non-public location the algorithm cannot find)."

MrDowntempo says, "Joining a guild, messengers, and mail area ll other great ways to get RP started"

Kinaed nods at MrDowntempo.

Kinaed says, "Seeking a guild is a really good way/reason to have RP with total strangers."

Rose claims, "I've joined a guild and had a ton of fun with the rp there, it's just hard to find rp outside of it"

Kitty claims, "Being a new player not long ago, I complained about the same. It can be HARD at first to find RP before you know people. And sitting in public places can get old. But... it gets better, I promise. Just takes a bit to get to know everyone."

Temi states, "You can also use the roster command if you're not familiar with a shop or bar or such."

Temi claims, "Roster match <place> should tell you the zone that it's in."

Tengu claims, "Mostly I'm just impatient about gettin' more money."

Temi says, "If it's not on there, it's more likely to be private, though not guaranteed"

Kinaed claims, "Okay, it's time for Player Topics. :)"

Kinaed muses to Sparkles, "Won't you introduce us to your topic?"

Sparkles says, "I'd like to bring up the question of the Forgery skill. Given lots of changing to how writing works now with the new system and with all of the different Artwork objects and types of things to write on and use in RP for indeed writing the Forgery skill only working through the mail system items and coded mail at that is kind of limiting."

Kinaed questions, "What about it, exactly?"

Moneybags queries, "You want to be able to forge crafted goods?"

Temi muses, "Basically, you want to be able to forge a written document in like a ledger? Or crafted goods?"

Flower claims, "I checked to see if it was a new skill yet before coming into the game incase it had bee made it's own thing."

Kuzco states, "I think she means the skill is useless or of too narrow application."

Kirill states, "Mail is the only system that takes official headers and seals, so it's one of the few where forging is legitimately (if not very often) useful. I think it'd be cool if it could be used to change underlying documents used by the authorities when they demand your papers."

Kuzco nods at Kirill.

Kirill says, "People might go out of their way to find a good forger more often for that sort of thing, if you ask me."

Sparkles claims, "I'd love for the idea of being able to forge other types of written things like the 'personal letter' or other types of writings you can create with Artwork as at the moment you can functionally entirely get around the risk of forgery or it being functional by not using the default mail system."

Kuzco says, "Yeah I can just write a paper, put it in an envelope, and send it"

Kinaed wonders, "But you can't get around the risk of receiving a forgery...?"

Kirill claims, "Yeah but it doesn't contain your official header or seal then either."

Kinaed wonders, "Are we seeing a rise of people writing letters and sending them in a specific way to avoid being mistaken for a forgery?"

Temi says, "I know we've previously discussed being able to seal regular documents and having to use forgery to do someone else's"

Kuzco claims, "There's not much use for it outside of RPA"

say Not everyone has a header and seal

Sparkles claims, "Not everyone has a header and seal"

Kuzco states, "I'd rather train DANCE which is the most powerful skill in the game."
Tengu nods.

Tengu claims, "L-lewd"

Galax states, "The one Perform anyone can do. Very dangerous."

say Also it seems to represent both the ability to make forgeries (arguably criminal) and also detect them (arguably an investigative technique)

Sparkles claims, "Also it seems to represent both the ability to make forgeries (arguably criminal) and also detect them (arguably an investigative technique)"

Flower laughs.

Kinaed states, "That doesn't really bother me."

Kuzco queries, "So a reeve with knowledge of forgery would not be ICly suspicious?"

Kinaed claims, "I can see expanding it, and maybe looking at ways to prevent people circumventing a forgery... but if I'm honest, I'm not certain I've seen people using the base forgery system enough to indicate that forgery is a high priority."

Kuzco muses to Kinaed, "Well isn't that a recursive thing, madam?"

Tengu says, ""Yep, this is forged. I can tell from the handwriting and from having seen many forgeries in my time.""

Kinaed says to Kuzco, "In my experience, no."

Kuzco states, "People don't use it because it has no use, and it's use isn't improved because people don't use it."

Kuzco states, "Or little use, rather than none."

Kinaed states to Kuzco, "Sometimes that is the case, but that is not the case here."

Kuzco inclines his head: "You know best."

Galax claims, "I think it'd be neat if Forgery could be expanded to something related to Author tags, since it feels pretty easy to spoof/erase the author. It feels fairly risk free to write a thing and then just go "nope, not me!" That said, I can understand why it's a low priority right now."

Kinaed says, "Rather, this is more like poisons. It has use and everyone knows it, but the chances of people using it are generally low in any given instance."

Kuzco nods.

Sparkles states, "The difference is anyone can branch learning poisons"

Kuzco states, "I do dig a lot Kirill's idea of forgery being able to spoof verify papers"

Kinaed nods at Kuzco.

Kirill states, "The system has potential but it's one of those things where it requires the right circumstances and motivation to make use of it, with fairly high chance of failure in achieving the results you want."

Kinaed states, "I've made the following list of potential places to expand forgery: one's verify papers, trademarks on craft items, authoring a ledger."

Tengu says, "Trademarks on craft items. I like that idea."

say One idea I pondered was some crafts like the woodworking crafts to restore old antiques.

Sparkles claims, "One idea I pondered was some crafts like the woodworking crafts to restore old antiques."

Sparkles claims, "Create some lovely old fakes."

Kinaed says, "However, bluntly... in 100 picks of a person writing something, there is less than 1 percent chance they are doing so as a forgery. This right there, before we even go into logistics, means the system is an 'edge case' system."

Sparkles states, "I admit I don't know what that means."

Kuzco says to Kirill, "Not only high risk of failure, but high consequences of failure"

Kinaed states, "People just don't use it because, most of the time, they're being real. And when they're not, they typically forget about the skill or haven't practiced it for when they need it, so can't actually use it due to perceived low value"

Kinaed says, "I guess what I'm trying to get at is - that's a cool idea, but it's low priority because it's a system that won't be used much no matter how much time we put into it."

Sparkles claims, "I cannot prove the thesis of course but I feel like if it potentially had more purposes some of those other purposes might get more use. I could see fake verify papers being huge."

Kinaed says, "So I've taken down the ideas, but it's unlikely we'll see a quick change."

Kinaed nods at Sparkles.

Temi trails off, "We don't want it to go completely neglected, because that edge case is valuable... but we'd love to see people engaging with it at a base level to know there's interest"

Kinaed queries to Kuzco, "I think it's time for our next topic :) You had something to introduce us to?"

Kuzco nods.

Kuzco rolls up his sleeves and says handsomely: "I'd like to request perhaps an option to make moods visible when in brief mode. I have to have brief all the time when playing from my phone, which is my main way to play, and I have missed important stuff because of it. Perhaps it can be a toggable option, moods during brief? So not everyone has to be forced upon this hypothetical change."

Tengu nods.

Kinaed says, "Sure, seems like a good idea to me."

Kuzco dances happily.

Temi says, "Moods are more likely to change that room descs."

Kirill nods.

Kuzco nods.

Kuzco claims, "It's my reasoning."

Temi states, "So I'd think having them in brief could make sense"

Kinaed nods at Temi.

Flower states, "Can I get a trans out? Gotta run."

Temi wonders, "Do we have anyone that does rely on brief and doesn't like the idea?"

Kuzco states, "You can walk down too"

Flower states, "Sweet"

Flower begins to descend.

Kinaed questions, "Well, that went rather quickly. It's 8:40am where I am, but I'm out of topics. Do we end early, or just shoot the breeze?"

Flower leaves down.

Kinaed muses to Temi, "Did you say when the queen is holding Court again?"

Kuzco claims, "Let's see"

Galax states, "Well.."

Kuzco claims, "After this chat, Kin"

Moneybags waves.

Kinaed states, "Oh, exciting :)"

Temi claims, "Shortly after this.. maybe approximately an hour or so"

Kuzco questions, "Do people approve of the work I'm doing with the Facebook page?"

Kirill questions, "Just a quick reminder that I've resurrected our community-run event calendar: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/b/ ... WFpbC5jb20"

Moneybags begins to descend.

Kinaed nods at Kuzco.

Moneybags leaves down.

Kinaed says, "I've been enjoying the medieval lessons stuff :)"

MrDowntempo declares, "I fully endorse the updating of the calendar!"

Kirill claims, "I can't keep track of all our events and things otherwise."

Kirill claims, "If anyone wants permissions to add/edit/share, just let me know."

Kitty claims, "To kuzco It is quite nice. Though, if more people would like and/or comment on the posts, we would be more likely to see the stuff on our feeds and I wouldn't have to go to the page to see it. *coughs*"

Kinaed states, "I kind of feel like the Events Calendar should be mentioned in our OOC Chat once per week or something."

Kuzco nods.

Tengu ponders.

Kuzco says to Kirill, "Hey man thanks for that work"

Kirill states, "No problem. It helps me stay organized."

Kinaed finishes abruptly, "An agenda item to call it out, ask if anyone has anything to schedule in it, and if maybe our Scribe could take on adding events - or if maybe one of the players wants to be responsible for curating it (I can do QP, for example)"

Kitty claims, "Could link the calendar to the facebook page, and pin it."

Tengu states, "Mm. I'm goin' back down, maybe someone'll keep me company."

Kuzco wonders to Kirill, "Are you sure that link is right though?"

Kinaed says to Kitty, "I like that idea."

MrDowntempo claims, "It worked for me"

Kuzco states, "I can do that, sure, Kit"

Kinaed muses to Kuzco, "Are you happy to pin the Events Calendar to Facebook?"

Kuzco nods.

Kinaed states, "Oh, cool, thanks :)"

Kinaed types slowly.

Cheeky says, "Is there no way to build one into the game? I have played on games with built-in calendars and they were a godsend."

Kuzco says, "Oh VMoo hadn't tagged the entire link"

Kuzco states, "Well there is a PC who makes calendars each year"

Kinaed claims to Cheeky, "We have a scheduler on our list; it's ancient."

Kinaed says, "We probably should ressurect that idea and see if we can get it to spit out something to the Google API too."

Sparkles claims, "If you need help figuring out how to get the Posts to always ping your notifications I know how and can help it's some account settings stuffs."

Kirill says, "There are ways to insert the calendar into web pages, blogs, all kinds of stuff."

Kinaed claims, "I think the scheduler might have been prior to our POLCA system. Hmm."

Azarial nods.

Kinaed starts writing a note. (This is an OOC action)

Kirill claims, "I like the idea that new visitors can see we have things scheduled and that we're an active game, even if the wholist isn't super busy at the time."

Cheeky nods.

say Maybe add the Calender to the login splash? Now we've shrunk the space?
Kinaed finishes her note.

Sparkles asks, "Maybe add the Calender to the login splash? Now we've shrunk the space?"

MrDowntempo asks, "Having it available in google calendars is super handy to me. I just hope it gets more updated with all the various events. If it were more streamlined and integrated with the game itself, that might help? "

MrDowntempo asks, "Anywhoo... can I get sent back, Kin?"

Kinaed states, "I'd love to do that, but only if someone can design what the calendar or calendar entries would look like in the splash screen"

MrDowntempo has been transferred out by Kinaed. [OOC]

Kirill states, "I think Sparkles meant adding the link to the MotD."

Cheeky says, "In case I wasn't clear, I was talking about a program in the game with a list of what's coming up that translates to your timezone which would help A LOT with scheduling events."

Kinaed claims, "Oh, we can do that too."

Kinaed nods at Cheeky.

Cheeky says, "I'm glad there are off-game options and I'm not trying to pooh pooh them."

Kinaed states to Cheeky, "We have an events calendar for that."

Kirill states, "The Google calendar will always show in your own timezone, btw."

Kinaed says, "Er, I mean we have an events SPECIFICATION for that. Somewhere."

Kuzco says, "Added to Facebook."

Kinaed claims, "I think I have a task to go through the bug board and see what work is worth asking Az to focus on as well. We've got a heap of changes."

Kinaed declares to Kuzco, "Thank you!"

Kuzco states, "I live to serve."

Kinaed wonders, "What is the link for the MOTD?"

Kirill wonders, "Https://calendar.google.com/calendar/b/ ... WFpbC5jb20"

Sparkles says, "Link might need a tiny URL for that"

Kirill claims, "Or it's in my who title."

Kuzco asks, "Motd?"

Kirill claims, "Message of the Day. Old school term."

Kirill grins.

Kirill states, "Type 'motd'"

Sparkles declares, "Stuff you see on login right above "You've got mail!""

Kinaed claims, "I might TinyURL that"

Kirill says, "It's already tiny'd in my who title."

Kirill states, "Https://tinyurl.com/yxtufofw"

Kirill questions, "I don't know how long those last. Forever?"

Kuzco gasps!

Kitty claims, "Last I knew, tiny urls do have an expiration, but it's like... a very long time."

Kinaed claims to Kirill, "Got it :)"

Kirill claims, "We've got Daylight Savings Time coming up in a week or so, too."

Sparkles questions, "Will meeting time change?"

Kinaed says, "That'll probably screw up OOC Chat timings for awhile."

Azarial heaves a sigh, her ears and tails drooping with her expression.

Kirill claims, "Usually moves the OOC chat later."

Azarial says, "Here;s hoping that group tries again. I vote for them everytime, but something munges it up"

Kinaed states, "It usually does, yes."

Kinaed states, "Okay, it's near the top of the hour. Thanks for coming to this week's OOC Chat, folks. :)"

Fletcher claims, "Thanks."

Kinaed claims, "Please consider leaving a review about us on Reddit or TMC, or posting about us on the TMC forums."

Kirill pontificates, "See y'all at the open Court -- it's not just for nobs!"

Temi nods at Kirill.

Kinaed says, "Also, if you have time to attend Court today, I'm sure it'll be interesting to see the Queen. :)"

Temi claims, "Hence open. Anyone in good standing can come."

Azarial peers about intently, then chases her tails once, twice, thrice--she's gone! [OOC]

Kinaed says, "Yep, common folk should go for the spectacle alone :)"

Kinaed pontificates, "Okay, see everyone again next week, same time, same place!"

Rose questions, "What time specifically? :o"

Temi claims, "Half an hour-ish. I'm gonna take my pup for a walk and then set up"

Kuzco states, "Sounds good."

Kinaed waves.

Rose declaims, "I'll be leaving in exactly half an hour xD Well, maybe some other time!"

Rose waves!

Kinaed says, "That's 5:30pm or so System Time (as per who)"

• Information