Log of OOC Meeting 2018-09-08

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Taunya

Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:23 pm

Kinaed queries, "Today's Agenda is:

- Staff Updates
   - Player Heartbeat
   - Player Topics

Is there anything anyone would like to add to the agenda to make certain we discuss it today?"

Kinaed claims to Brooke, "Not to my knowledge."

Azarial says, "Turn off your prompt and your channels, mainly, on this side"

Brooke states, "Done."

Kinaed has transferred Norrig.  [OOC]

Kirill claims to Kinaed, "I have a couple of short PSAs."

Kinaed gives a bottle of Dancing Bard, Magebane 378 to Norrig.

Prisca doesn't have anything at the moment.

Giles doesn't have anything.

Norrig dances happily.

Prisca questions to Norrig, "Any topics? we're just starting"

Kinaed claims, "I've got Kirill on my list thus far. Please pre-write any topics, and also one at a time. If we have multiple topics, I'll circle back around to you if we have time."

Kinaed claims, "We can continue on, and if anyone wants to register a topic, then please send me a tell."

Empena says, "I have a thing, if there's time, but I'm on mobile, so please make me last so folks aren't waiting."

Kinaed says, "Okay, I've got a few more topics and will put Empena last."

Kinaed states, "Kicking off Staff Updates - last week I processed requests, no policy issues that I recall, and Niamh finally got me to plow through 90+ forum ideas to put in the accept/reject pile."

Kinaed declaims, "Oh, I even processed a plot. Yay!"

Kinaed states, "On my desk - jail automation and turf wars."

Vlora queries, "Did you process my idea to give assault rifles to Knights?"

Kinaed claims to Vlora, "I did, fail."

Brooke laughs.

Vlora states, "Bollocks"

Kinaed says to Azarial, "You're up :)"

Azarial states, "I've put in the first round of roles, which is mainly the basic guild functionality.  this has enabled me to resolve a few outstanding issues, including the great lord problem.  The last known bugs for that were fixed this afternoon, so I'll look at exile and excommunication next."

Kinaed says to Vlora, "Sorry :)"

Kinaed claps her hands happily, "Thanks, Az!"

Kinaed says, "Just quickly checking the Changes Board to see if there's any other good "FYI, this has changed" in code."

Prisca claims, "Seems like I'd found something neat, but don't remember what it was now"

Kinaed states, "The biggest thing I see is the fix to Great Lords so the code sees them as nobility."

Azarial says, "I cannot think of anythng, but my headspace is a bit up in the air.  I've changed quite a buit of code this alst week."

Prisca nods.

Kinaed states, "We've fixed some noble project stuff - and I approved (but it's not implemented) a list of changes to Noble Projects based off Kirill's forum post and people's responses."

Kinaed states, "Most of the other stuff is subtle 'just making things work as people expect them to when a bug is found', so not interesting."

Azarial says, "Striping out the old guild rank system, and dual guilding, has streamlined and cleaned up quite a bit of code even if it did uncover a few legacy bugs I had never tripped over before."

Kinaed nods at Azarial.

Azarial states, "Dual guilding was essential 'let's copy everything guilds do and add _two to it!' with a bit more to compare between them in a few spots."

Kinaed questions, "That's it for Staff Updates :) Now on to my personal favorite - Player Heartbeat. How was the game for everyone this week, folks?"

Dagerian claims, "I'm enjoying it."

Kinaed smiles at Dagerian.

Kinaed wonders to Dagerian, "Quite happy to hear that. Anything in particular make it good for you?"

Dagerian asks, "Just feeling more involved I guess?"

Kinaed nods at Dagerian.

Prisca exclaims, "I got to write the first Prisca Report in a while, but relatively slow otherwise. Good to drive RP even if I'm not getting a huge amount myself though!"

Kinaed says, "I heard indirectly from Niamh that TI's been hopping with RP, so that's great."

Kinaed nods at Prisca.

Dagerian says, "Seems a lot of things in the past were reserved for nobility and few gentry, big plots."

Kinaed nods at Dagerian.

Prisca nods in agreement.

Dagerian claims, "Freeman never got to see much of it due to restrictions of class and areas where its happened"

Kinaed asks, "Have we shifted that balance somehow or ...?"

Brooke states, "I've mostly just been learning stuff."

Kinaed says, "It's great to hear that, though I wonder if we did it inadvertantly."

Kinaed says to Brooke, "I hope that's been a good, fun process instead of a drag :)"

Prisca states to Brooke, "I'm still learning stuff. ;)"

Empena states, "I've had some interesting RP, political stuff, working on some stuff with Council stuff."

Kinaed nods at Empena.

Kinaed says to Empena, "Thank you for proactively working on those things."

Empena smiles.

Kinaed states, "I felt bad for some previous Seneschals because it wasn't really clearly defined what they could and couldn't do at times, but it seems like that is clearing up now."

Kinaed claims, "Please let staff know if there's anything further we need to look at doing in that area."

Norrig claims, "I've been having a blast"

Kinaed smiles at Norrig.

Kinaed claims, "So glad to hear it."

Empena nods at Kinaed.

Brooke states, "It's a little slow for me, but I've not got much of a presence yet."

Kinaed queries to Norrig, "Anything in particular making that fun?"

Calanthe says, "I'm grateful to those who made it to my artwork event and hope they had fun too. I would like to continue hosting such things in the future, but I'm always looking for feedback and suggestions. Particularly in the field of what others would like to do."

Kinaed nods at Brooke.

Norrig has lost link.
Norrig has reconnected.
Brooke grins at Calanthe.

Norrig says, "Ahem"

Vlora states, "Good for me! Been meeting a bunch of the new players recently, and they're a cool bunch. "

Kinaed declaims to Calanthe, "Oh, you held an event? Thank you!"

Kinaed smiles.

Brooke claims, "Aye, it was neat stuff."

Kinaed nods at Vlora.

Norrig states, "I enjoy being able to do bardic stuff besides music, like diplomacy, 'journalism' and spreading lore"

Vlora wonders, "What about scandals?"

Kirill pontificates to Calanthe, "Thank you for running that event! It was awesome!"

Norrig says, "Or being the Witness Bard for Prisca's trial"

Brooke states, "Heh. "Journalism.""

Kinaed says, "We've had a huge surge of new players - that's awesome. Did another game shut down though? It's not often we get such big spurts."

Brooke winks.

Prisca claims to Vlora, "No budget, so just sandals."

Norrig states to Calanthe, "Yeah good girl"

Vlora claims, "Fair enough"

Norrig claims to Kinaed, "They must have heard of my bard girls."

Norrig gestures at Calanthe. 

Kinaed says to Norrig, "Hubba hubba."
Brooke laughs.

Vlora gestures at Vlora

Dagerian I just like having something to do other than grunt and be mean at people.

Dagerian states, "Er"

Kinaed nods at Dagerian.

Dagerian says, "Yeah, that"

Prisca grins at Dagerian.

Kinaed queries, "That's all positive positive to hear, so I'm pleased. Brooke, did you want people to have a head's up that you're interested in some more engagement, or are you happy for that to just happen in time?"

Kinaed states, "It's fine to ask on OOC Channels if anyone's free to RP, btw."

Brooke says, "I dunno. Mostly I'm just tryin' to get myself established."

Kinaed nods at Brooke.

Kinaed says, "That takes a bit of time, but I hope people are supportive. On that - if anyone feels like they can help Brooke find her niche, please do."

Kinaed says, "Alright - let's move on to Player Topics. Kirill, you're up first :)"

Dagerian grins evilly.

Kirill says, "First, just a reminder about IC Event note 17! I'm hosting a Yule event not this coming Tuesday but the Tuesday after, and want to make sure it's on people's radars. I'll also be hosting a special New Year's event a few days after THAT, the invitations for which will probably go out sometime this week, so stay tuned."

Kirill says, "Second, just want to give a shout out to Az and Niamh for all their hard work this past week and half, especially being down a staffer. I don't always remember to sign off all my notes with a thank you, but I appreciate you both and all the work you do."

Azarial says, "You;re welcome"

Unrecognized command.

Kinaed smiles.

Azarial states, "And thank you"

Brooke claims, "I'm gettin' the warm and fuzzies."

Prisca claps for the staffers.

Kinaed claps for the staffers too, since they do a lot more work than she does. :)

Kirill pontificates to Kinaed, "That's it for me!"

Kinaed states to Kirill, "Thanks :)"

Kinaed exclaims to Norrig, "You're up!"

Norrig claps!

Norrig pulls a lot of blank maps filled with question marks everywhere as he says loudly: "I would like to know if there are automappers for Mudlet. If so, where. And how to plug them in. I don't know how to code."

Kinaed says, "No idea, personally."

Azarial claims, "I think niamh worked something out for one of them, and I am fairly certain there's a mushclient mapper floating around"

Kirill says to Norrig, "Try the Mudlet forums."

Vlora states, "I've got one I've been tinkering with, half works. I'll see if I can sort it and let you have a copy."

Kinaed claims, "I know Zmud, and I *think* CMUD do. I wouldn't be surprised if MUSHclient does just because of how long it's been around and how well loved it is."

Prisca says, "There's one for mushclient and tintin on the forums"

Norrig says, "Ye but I need mudlet"

Vlora says, "Ye i got u fam"

Norrig says, "Ok that's it from me."

Norrig nods at Vlora.

Norrig brofists Vlora.

Vlora bares her sword.

Kinaed claims, "On that - if people have favored plugins for clients that they'd like to share for TI, please let staff know. We can put them on our website for download as 'good plugins for TI'"

Norrig says, "Chibi Vlora graphics mod"

Dagerian says, "I have a last minute question."

Empena has lost link.
Empena has reconnected.

Kinaed asks of Dagerian, "Do you want to ask now while we wait for Empena to type up her topic on her mobile?"

Kinaed states to Empena, "We're on your topic now."

Empena nods at Kinaed.

Dagerian muses, "Concerning backstab. Is it nerfed for good or is it coming back in a capacity? And those of us who have it at a high rank can we get it refunded?"

Prisca pontificates, "It's coming back! with more techniques"

Dagerian claims, "Oh"

Dagerian states, "Nevermind"

Safir muses to Dagerian, "I thought you did't like being mean?"

Prisca grins at Safir.

Dagerian says, "I'll keep that."

Kinaed says, "It's coming back, but it will probably be a techniaue instead of a skill. If that happens, yes it will be returned. You can also Request Board to cash it in now if you'd like."

Brooke chuckles.

Safir claims, "Now everyone knows you're a backstabber."

Brooke claims, "How scandalous."

Dagerian says, "Okay, cool, thanks."

Dvi says, "Backstab is one of those skills that always seems so cool, but I've never seen used sucessfully"

Kinaed says, "It's been disabled long enough that I'm happy to return XP to people while we work it out."

Giles declaims, "Now I definitely don't want to hang with Dagerian anymore! :("

Dagerian claims, "I used it"

Dagerian states, "...many a times"

Dvi claims, "Like steal"

Safir wonders to Dagerian, "With an axe?"

Dagerian states, "I've never tried with an axe"

Azarial states, "If I remove the skill, it should auto return the xp"

Kirill asks, "Are techniques going to be like skills that you have to dump XP into, or...?"

Dvi has lost link.
Dvi has reconnected.

Kinaed states, "No, they are commands that anyone can use in combat, and use your weapon skill as the command 'skill level'."

Safir says, "Oooo"

Kirill claims, "Cool."

Giles begins to count their money.

Brooke says, "My, my."

Kirill wasn't sure if he should be saving learn slots.

Prisca muses, "Will we get blindfighting back too?"

Kinaed states, "Examples are things like feint, trip, backstab, etc."

Brooke has gone AFK.

Brooke declaims, "BRB!"

Kinaed says, "I don't think blindfighting is in the cards."

Prisca pouts.

Dagerian claims, "...oh my goodness"

Dagerian claims, "I'm excited"

Brooke questions, "But now what are you supposed to do when a mage turns invisible?"

Brooke states, "You're hedging things in their favor, you dirty heretic."

Norrig claims, "How about rhyme battles like Monkey Island 3"

Safir high fives Dagerian. 

Kinaed claims, "Mages cannot maintain invisibility in combat, I don't think."

Dagerian claims, "Dirtkick"

Empena claims, "I'd like to query: Is there an official change or update to chat channel policy? As there seems to be a new Q/A only rule to GL chat. And, while I know this isn't a thing for everyone, I'll admit the occassional light banter on GL chat I feel is a net positive for folks in a high time investment/sometimes stressful role. To remind us we are all sort of in this together, and even if things get tense IC we are 'all in this together'."

Brooke states, "How appropriate, you fight like a cow."

Dvi states to Kinaed, "They certainly can't"

Empena says, "Also, sorry, oops."

Brooke says, "Anyway brb"

Brooke has returned from AFK.

Brooke has gone AFK.

Norrig nods at Empena.

Kinaed says, "I'm unaware of any QA only rule."

Norrig claims, "I like to see the Tenebrae making light banter to the Justiciar. It brings me to a more 'ok this is just a game' mentality"

Prisca queries, "I think banter's fine as long as it's not touching on current IC going-ons?"

Kinaed says, "Okay, I've received a tell saying that staff have been monitoring the channel and saying questions and answers only. I'll investigate - I saw it on the Staff Talking points, but I didn't know what it was about."

Prisca says, "Ah"

Kinaed says, "Definitely, discussing anything IC is a hard no on ALL channels."

Norrig nods.

Empena claims, "Well, I will say that I think imposing that would lose us something. As honestly sometimes it's a much needed stress break, so I've said my bit."

Kinaed states, "In fact, one thing that often does happen, and we wish it didn't - but we don't want to feel like dicks always telling people to cut it out - is OOC coordination of things on the guild channels."

Prisca nods.

Kinaed says, "Please, meet up ICly and talk about what you're going to do."

Dvi has lost link.
Dvi has reconnected.

Kinaed nods at Empena.

Dvi states, "Can we get a nobles channel? >.>"

Kinaed states, "Thanks for raising the query. I'll follow up and see what caused that."

Empena claims, "There is one, the Council channel."

Kinaed claims to Dvi, "No, sorry :)"

Prisca wants a savage channel if nobles get one.

Kinaed states, "Well, yes, what Empena said."

Calanthe states, "I believe in a recentish OOC chat we were considering a 'graphic' style anonymous warning for channels."

Dagerian says, "Savage channel please"

Brooke wants a nouveau-riche- she means gentry channel if nobles get one.

Norrig states, "Supermodel channel"

Norrig nods.

Giles nods at Norrig.

Azarial states, "Ooc covers class channels."

Kinaed says, "I think that wording changed to 'anonymous complaint' thing - will revisit as a 'graphic' style OOC Channel warning, which is more reasonable."

Dagerian claims, "First step, our own channel. Next time, our own middle initial for Charali gentry."

Kirill states, "Also, I think when we were moved to roles, everyone's seek public setting was turned off. Folks will need to use the command again if they want to show up under guildlist <whatever> for their guild."

Azarial states, "I reset what I could, but that data is now gone."

Prisca says to Dagerian, "Charali don't have gentry, just their own nobles"

Azarial claims, "'known' roles will auto set it, and prevent it from being disbaled"

Calanthe says to Dagerian, "Ne(igh) <surname(s)>"

Kinaed queries, "We should write a general board reminder then to ask people to turn it on if they want to be visible in their guild?"

Dagerian states, "Dagerian ra Mara'aye"

Empena states, "Actually, speaking of a Council channel, is there a reason for a seperate GL and Council channel? Could that be made one Channel? As much as I want to ruin the mystique of the nobility knowing what us plebs get up to."

Kinaed wonders, "They service two separate groups to my understanding?"

Azarial claims, "Becuase council is a guild channel"

Kinaed says, "The GLs are not in the Council for the most part."

Kirill says, "Covert guildleaders wouldn't really be part of the Council."

Dvi wonders, "Why does a GL channel exist, honestly?"

Kirill states, "Other guildleaders, yes."

Kinaed says to Dvi, "Holdover from Old TI."

Kinaed questions, "In fact, I feel that way about a lot of OOC Channels?"

Giles states, "I was wondering what Dvi what just did, too, honestly."

Kinaed says, "That should have ended in a period. :)"

Prisca claims, "I think it makes sense, especially for new GLs starting out to get help/advice"

Empena claims, "I feel like the lack of those types of things wouldn't make them go away, it will simply encourage them to go off-site. "

Prisca states, "We have a pretty heavy GL turnover"

Kinaed says, "If that's the case, then the question only policy isn't necessarily bad."

Kinaed nods at Prisca.

Kirill claims, "Or happen in tells."

Azarial says, "Better to ask on visnet to catch older GLs that do not currently have that role."

Dvi says, "I've been in that channel several times, and it just feels like the clubhouse of the power players of TI."

Kirill questions, "Feel free to turn it off?"

Kirill claims, "No one has to participate in any OOC channel."

Dagerian looks at Safir confused. "What channels?"

Kinaed twiddles her thumbs.

Kinaed claims, "I think there is a social impact to facilitating certain groups to speak to one another OOCly."

Dvi says, "Hey, I enjoy it. I was just wondering what the origin story of the channel was."

Kinaed claims, "I'm ambivalent at the moment as to whether that is good or bad."

Kirill says to Kinaed, "Like most things, probably has its pros and cons."

Giles nods at Kirill.

Kinaed says, "I've certainly seen people use it in ways they ought not to."

Kinaed nods at Kirill.

Kinaed says, "But I also don't feel like everything on the channel is terrible or a waste."

Kinaed claims, "Where I get grumpy, and I'm fairly open about that, is when IC stuff slips onto those channels, or people use those channels for planning and comms that should be done ICly."

Brooke states, "Back."

Brooke has returned from AFK.

Empena states, "I think that without it, all that will encourage people who already have those relationships thriving in ways new people cannot participate in, and there's already some of that "people who have played together for years" aspect that can very intimidating to a new player who also ends up as GL, which I can say from experience."

Dagerian says, "Everyone just be freeman, problem solved."

Kinaed says, "So if people can kindly adhere to that, then I think it's fine."

Prisca grins at Dagerian.

Norrig nods at Dagerian.

Empena muses, "If there's no more questions, can I ask a completely unrelated code question?"

Kinaed states to Empena, "I don't think that 'some people have strong OOC relationships' should become 'so let's encourage more people to build OOC relationships' :) I'd prefer people build strong IC relationships and have minimal feelings of OOC reciprocity or indebitedness."

Kinaed states to Empena, "Sure can :)"

Empena says, "How does remember room work, and is that still functional? Because now that aggressive animals are a thing, shared keywords in certain room titles can lead to some serious issues with travel."

Kinaed claims, "I have no idea, I've never heard of it."

Prisca questions, "Um?"

Kinaed says, "It is in HELP REMEMBER, however, so I guess it's a thing."

Azarial states, "Iirc it lists everyone in the room you remember, but i've not looked at that code in a while.  if no one uses I can quietly dump it."

Remember is not usable in an OOC room.

Prisca says, "Ah."

Empena claims, "Ah, well, that might just be a typo thing then as the helpfile doesn't explain, got it. I thought it might to remember an alias for a room, not the people in the room."

Kinaed claims, "Nah, we should just update the help file. It has the syntax, but no information on what it does. THat said, typing it shows an output against our UI policy, so I'll note something to you."

Kinaed nods at Empena.

Safir has lost link.

Empena states, "Maybe instead I should idea a way to remember aliases for the travel command."

Prisca states to Empena, "Just be careful when you travel, it says what your full destination is and you can halt it"

Kinaed starts writing a note. (This is an OOC action)

Kinaed finishes her note.

Prisca claims, "Or type more keywords to prevent going to the wrong place. like 'travel first bank' instead of 'travel bank' sending you to the bank of the Bren"

Azarial nods at Prisca.

Kinaed nods at Prisca.

Norrig states, "I did hate that the Reeves Courtyard changed to Queen's Guard courtyard because it sends me there instead of the tavern"

Prisca grins at Norrig.

Kinaed spreads her hands.

Calanthe says, "You can navigate first, then journey."

Norrig says, "So now I have to sing and promote debauchery in the Precinct"

Prisca nods at Calanthe.

Azarial states, "Bring donuts."

Norrig states, "Gime"

Norrig claims, "Gime Qp"

Kinaed queries, "So, we have 15 minutes left and we're out of topics. What would you guys like to do or talk about for the next bit?"

Dvi wonders, "Can you give us more insight into the new combat techniques?"

Kinaed declaims, "Oh, if you have time to write reviews or post about us on Reddit, please do. It seems like a lot of our new crowd has heard of us from there. Good stuff!"

Kinaed claims, "Sure, a moment."

Norrig claims, "I wanna know if and when Bards will be able to visit Ahalin's common cells"

Prisca queries to Azarial, "Would the new roles system be easier to support dual guilding with if it's decided to bring it back sometime?"

Dagerian says, "Let's make mercenaries a real guild again."

Brooke says, "THat'd make sense."

Kinaed has redirected a note, Combat Techiques, on the Bugs board.

Kinaed says, "There, shared the spec with everyone."

Prisca states to Dagerian, "You"

Prisca states, "Oops"

Kinaed claims, "We'll open mercenaries (and potentially other guilds) when we have the population and enough IC interest. I'm expecting consistently over 30 players on TI per day and at least 3 people + the GL to be interested."

Prisca states to Dagerian, "You'll need 3 memebers, and there's a certain number of active players per week to consider opening a new guild"

Kinaed nods at Prisca.

Azarial questions, "Players, not characters?"

Kinaed states, "Players per day, not characters, yes."

Brooke discards a bottle of Dancing Bard, Magebane 378 as empty.

Dagerian states, "Ah, alright."

Brooke burps.

Kinaed claims, "We've actually nudged up pretty close to that mark, but not quite. At least, not consistently. Last I checked, we're sitting around 25-27 per day."

Azarial says, "A bit lower than that; I see several alting."

Prisca pontificates to Dagerian, "Keep recruiting!"

Kinaed states, "Nah, the players thing eliminates alts, but I'd need a few weeks of data to see it's stuck rather than a brief spike"

Dvi claims, "MM. Trip seems brutal."

Azarial says, "If a mud clsoed, the spike should drop back to normal."

Kinaed nods at Azarial.

Kirill trails off, "Game feels light to me, ever since I stepped onto the grid. Would love to see more crafters, more active nobles..."

Kinaed nods.

Dvi states, "It's interesting. These are close to the same numbers that we've had in the past, but it feels more segmented."

Kinaed queries to Dvi, "What do you mean?"

Dvi claims, "There's just a lot of names that I never see in public areas, which always happens when there are guild and Southside, and etc. Just feels more so right now. "

Empena says, "Public areas you go to perhaps, that doesn't mean they aren't out there."

Kirill states, "Always seems like there's a ton of Southside activity when I'm not actively playing a Southsider."

Kinaed wonders, "I'm gathering that's a bad thing in your view? er, segmentation?"

Kirill chuckles.

Taunya

Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:24 pm

Calanthe queries, "For discussion's sake I counter: Many people claim to dislike constant "tavern RP." Do we have ideas on more RP opportunities that anyone can join in on?"

Norrig claims, "I am a bit saturated from tavern rp, admittedly"

Kirill states, "In my opinion, everything feels more remote when you play a nob."

Kirill states, "It's par for the course."

Brooke asks, "A nob?"

Norrig says, "I have done it to oblivion"

Prisca nods at Kirill.

Kinaed states, "We do have 'HELP THINGS TO DO' - I'm not sure people use it often."

Norrig states to Brooke, "A noble."

Brooke says, "Aaah."

Dagerian claims, "...you made a helpfile for boredom."

Brooke states, "As for tavern RP, speaking as a newbie I don't really mind it, but I'd rather have variety."

Dagerian states, "...That's pretty awesome."

Calanthe claims to Kinaed, "I think a good chunk of that is humorous."

Kinaed pontificates to Calanthe, "Sure, but it should still suggest things to do! :)"

Kirill says to Dagerian, "Well, also for newbies, to get them excited."

Norrig says, "I would like to remind people that not tipping bards is mean ICly and that I have a big bad scepter"

Norrig wields his big bad bardic scepter.

Prisca claims, "Playing a character who hates taverns, it has limited my RP at times, but it does feel a little richer when I do scene. Hard part was getting established. I started with the library and paarin park"

Norrig hangs his big bad scepter from his belt.

Kinaed eyes the scepter with interest.

Norrig states to Kinaed, "Behave."

Calanthe states, "I don't want people to avoid me because they fear they have to throw coins at me if I do anything musicky."

Dagerian claims, "I just stand in the road."

Giles wonders, "Is there a lot more tavern RP than I thought?"

Azarial queries, "...with a rope?"

Dagerian claims, "If you want to RP, i'm there."

Kinaed says to Norrig, "My nickname is 'Kinky' for a reason, mate. You're the one waving your sceptre about."

Norrig laughs.

Calanthe asks, "Well, what are other open to the public options that people could enjoy?"

Norrig states, "Games, card and dice games"

Giles claims to Calanthe, "I loved your idea."

Dagerian claims, "Bar fight is listed twice on Help Things to do"

Calanthe states, "We've done parties, contests, lectures, game nights."

Norrig says, "Just lay off the THOU SHALT NOT GAMBLE trope"

Dagerian claims, "I think someones hinting"

Kirill claims to Norrig, "Which often happen in a tavern."

Kirill grins at Norrig.

Calanthe says, "I'm personally not against arranging combat things if there's enough interest."

Kinaed states, "I love the chess board in Paarin Park as a great place to gather and be intellectual."

Norrig grins back at Kirill. 

Calanthe states, "Repelling gangs, fighting highwaymen, stomping overgrown lizards or whatever."

Empena claims, "We have a patron saint of Gambling, gamble more."

Empena laughs.

Kirill says, "Hunting parties, to be able to hunt with some backup? Not as safe to go alone, these days."

Calanthe exclaims to Giles, "(belatedly) Thank you!"

Kinaed questions, "Maybe we should make a HELP FILE list of public places that aren't taverns. What would we call it?"

Brooke states, "Sounds like a gut idee."

Kinaed nods at Kirill.

Norrig says to Kirill, "I have that in my list"

Calanthe queries, "How about help public?"

Norrig says to Kinaed, "Help Working for Norrig"

Prisca states, "Ah yeah, training halls were also a staple in getting established"

Empena claims, "Just stand around the Crossroads, that seems to work."

Calanthe claims, "A list of public spaces that have the public RPXP buff."

Dagerian says, "It's what I do"

Dagerian shrugs

Kinaed states to Calanthe, "That'd work. Okay, so I'll make a note to make a help file of different places people can hang out waiting for RP that aren't taverns."

Kinaed nods at Calanthe.

Kirill says, "I dig it."

Kinaed says, "Maybe emphasize those too."

Kinaed starts writing a note. (This is an OOC action)

Calanthe nods.

Calanthe muses, "I always think of "tavern RP" as less about the location, though, and more about the depth of the available story. Is that just me?"

Giles claims, "I haven't really noticed "too much" tavern RP, Cal."

Dagerian claims, "Problem is, if you're only seeing the same people over and over"

Calanthe nods.

Brooke claims, "There's only so much depth you can get out of chatting in a tavern."

Dvi says to Calanthe, "Agreed"

Brooke states, "...With the same people, as Dager said there."

Prisca nods.

Empena claims, "I guess, but if you go into every scene wanting everything to be super deep and meaningful, that puts a lot of expectation on the other people."

Calanthe says, "Right, but would you get more depth chatting in the crossroads? My thought is that we're in need of more options to go from barroom acquaintance to war buddy."

Kinaed finishes her note.

Norrig says, "I agree with Dag. Always the same person to tavern with is tedious."

Kinaed nods at Calanthe.

Calanthe claims, "Which isn't to suggest that a change of scenery can't help that along."

Prisca claims, "A change of location can be a change of RP. it's good to keep things fresh. You'll not RP about the same things in a tavern as you would in a square, a park, etc"

Dagerian says, "And people love conflict, conflict drives allll stories"

Kirill states, "Hanging out at the Park Street Training Hall Auditorium can occasionally be a good spot, if you're looking for action."

Safir is idle.

Dagerian states, "...I think though sometimes the punishment for said conflicts can be a bit too much. Conflict is a two way street."

Kinaed says, "I think we have enough myriad RP backdrops, it's just getting them to be well known enough for people to feel 1) like they're welcome to go and 2) aware that there's other things or ways to meet people than hang in a bar."

Giles says, "Personally, I love pvents and wish there were more of them and came about more often -- even if you can only get QP once a week (or whatever the rule is)."

Kinaed nods at Dagerian.

Calanthe nods at Kinaed.

Calanthe muses, "I think you can roll the list anytime, Giles?"

Prisca states to Dagerian, "I kinda agree with that"

Giles queries, "I can?"

Kinaed trails off, "I've often thought about - what if TI were an entirely consensual game where people couldn't kill one another without permission of the dying character... "

Calanthe says, "Yes, pvent roll."

Kirill claims to Kinaed, "You"

Kinaed asks, "Would it get weird or would RP quality suddenly triple because people weren't afraid and had to cooperate more?"

Empena claims, "I'm guessing no one would ever agree."

Dvi states to Kinaed, "I'd stop playing :P"

Dagerian claims, "I wouldn't do that"

Dagerian claims, "People wouldn't play that correctl"

Norrig queries to Kinaed, "How would the Inquisition even matter?"

Norrig questions, "What if a mage casts in public?"

Kinaed says to Dagerian, "Obviously, that's the big fear, yeah."

Kirill states to Kinaed, "You'd lose the people on the other side of that coin, who thrive on the unanticipated."

Brooke says, "I dunno. I don't like gettin' killed."

Kinaed nods at Kirill.

Kinaed says to Brooke, "Truth. No one does."

Dvi states, "It's not like there's a lot of death in the game right now"

Brooke states, "ESPECIALLY not in RP-heavy games."

Prisca nods at Dvi.

Kirill claims, "Killing is the extreme, but there are lots of ways the game isn't consensual."

Brooke claims, "It renders basically everything you did moot."

Dagerian states, "Magery is settled in stone. That's a death sentence, always has been. But conflicts more secular here and there though. Bar fights, drunken ones maybe? No harm no foul, drunk brawl, RP it off next morning."

Vlora sheathes her sword.

Empena says, "Because otherwise a major theme of the game would be broken if the Reeves or Order could only execute with permission."

Calanthe says, "At the risk of putting a huge target on my back, I don't feel I run into that many situations where I think too much about giving consent for what's happening."

Kinaed states to Brooke, "Well, I don't agree about rendering everything someone did moot. TI gathers history and lore about people and events over time."

Dvi says, "I'd bet that there has been less than one pkill a month for the last sixth months, leaving aside burnings."

Kinaed nods at Calanthe.

Kirill grins at Calanthe.

Calanthe says, "I believe the consistent if gradual push for focusing on consequences that aren't fatal has helped people take more risk."

Kinaed nods at Calanthe.

Kirill states to Calanthe, "I agree with that."

Kinaed states, "Our PK rates have certainly dropped."

Giles nods at Calanthe.

Dvi says, "I really don't think people are taking more risk now."

Dvi says, "But maybe I'm alone in that"

Prisca took a risk!

Dagerian TI has always been reactionary

Dagerian states, "Dammit"

Empena claims, "The difficulty is that we have to support that as a group, and not punish people ICly for letting punishments not be sever. But you can't say you want that and then work against it."

Kinaed says, "Maybe it's something we should experiment with one day. Just try it for two weeks and then poll the pbase what they thought the results were."

Dagerian claims, "But yes, i've always noticed its reactionary, not proactive."

Kirill claims, "The Tenebrae showed up to a Privy Council meeting. That was ballsy."

Norrig has taken a lot, lot of risks...

Giles claims to Kinaed, "I would approve of that."

Kinaed says, "I agree, it was."

Calanthe wonders, "Sorry, experiment with which?"

Kinaed says to Calanthe, "Playing a consensual game where people couldn't inflict death (at least) on someone without permission of the dying player."

Dagerian wrinkles his nose at Kinaed. 

Giles states, "I don't think mages known mages should ever have to consent to death, though, but it is an experiment worth trying otherwise."

Dvi claims, "I need to pkill more people"

Norrig questions, "But what would you do with a mage casting in public?"

Kinaed claims, "However, this is a bit of a philosophical question and not something we need to tackle today."

Dvi claims, "That's what I'm taking from this conversation"

Norrig wonders, "How would the Inquisition do it's job?"

Prisca states, "Also we're over time."

Dagerian grins at Dvi. 

Kinaed says to Norrig, "Well, maybe there'd be a story reason as to why they'd escape, or if people can't agree on what should happen, call staff."

Calanthe nods.

Calanthe claims, "There are a few threads on the forums about that."

Kinaed exclaims, "Ahh, we are over time! I didn't notice, sorry folks!"

Calanthe says, "Ways you can let the story roll."

Empena says, "I think that would create more headaches for staff."

Kirill states, "We hardly have anyone get PK'd... don't see how it'd make that much of a difference."

Brooke claims, "I kinda spaced out, t'be honest."

Kinaed says, "Thanks for chatting with us, and go ahead and enjoy your week :)"

Norrig states, "Some Pk goes entirely unnoticed."

Kirill states, "PK is the extreme of the nonconsensual end."

Dagerian claims, "I like PK when its done right"

Kinaed nods at Brooke.

Kinaed claims, "Happens."

Kinaed exclaims, "Okay, same time next week!"

Prisca waves.

Brooke says, "Little too extreme, IMO. But I've had real bad experiences with that stuff."

Brooke waves.

Taunya

Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:25 pm

[ #191 ] Bugs Board
A note has been posted by: Kinaed
In subject of: Combat Techiques
Date         : Sat Sep  1 21:31:10 2018
Expires      : Thu May 27 21:31:21 2021
To           : Staff All

Techniques that require an object can only be done if a valid object is
selected. The syntax is usually the technique name + emote text.  Eg, instead
of 'cemote <emote>', it's 'feint <emote>': 

feint - free action that may reduce an enemy's attack, will reduce your own attack on fail, costs mv
backstab - a non-targetted character can backstab a victim in a round, costs mv, will reduce attack on fail, requires a dagger
trip - drop a character to their ass so they cannot change range, reduce your own attack on fail, costs mv
throw - attempt to throw a combat obj in the victim's face, variety of affects, failure drops obj in the room, costs mvs, requires a valid obj
shield bash - push a character back a range step and do some damage, costs moves, reduce attack on fail, requires shield
rush - must be at least med range away, attempt to rush in and attack, costs mvs, failure = trip

• Information