Log of OOC Meeting - 11/11/17

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:18 pm

Temi asks, "Okay, agenda for today: 1) Staff updates, 2) Player heartbeat, and then 3) Player topics. Does anyone have topics that they want to get on the list?"

Steven states, "Mmmm licorice lashes"

Temi states, "I was just asking for any player topics that people have this week."

Steven states, "My topic is folks are awesome."

Empena says, "I have a topic."

Steven states, "And should keep on being awesome."

Temi wonders to Steven, "Shall I consider that one done then?"

Temi grins.

Steven claims, "Yup"

Temi asks, "Okay.. ah, would anyone be willing to scribe for us today?"

Empena says, "I can do that."

Temi pontificates, "Okay, thanks, Empena!"

Onreon claims, "Ooooh."

Temi declaims, "Okay, continuing on then with staff updates!"

Halgrim claims, "That wasn't what I expected."

Temi states, "I have been pretty busy. Trying to keep up with plots and RPAs and such, and trying to get started on the plot revamp."

Temi says, "The busy being more OOCly, that is."

Temi claims, "Az left an update that he's been working on bugfixes and the Matchmaker spec."

Temi says, "And hopefully Niamh will be able to join us for some details a bit later, but we'll continue on."

Temi exclaims, "So.. without a whole bunch more to say there... player heartbeat!"

Temi asks, "How's RP been this week, everyone?"

Sauvaige exclaims, "POLITICAL!"

Halgrim exclaims, "Pretty great!"

Rothgar exclaims, "Been great getting into the Order, joining with the Knights has been fun and getting back into the swing of things has been interesting. A three week break was good, it seems, and now I get to train folks up!"

Janus states, "Been getting back into things recently. Everyone seems nice"

Sauvaige slaps Janus

Lyana states, "Oh it's been fun"

Steven claims, "Its been pretty good"

Arlow agrees.

Temi pontificates, "We were just doing player heartbeat - how's RP and everyone feeling - seems pretty positive thus far!"

Onreon says, "I'm back now. Seems nice."

Janus claims to Sauvaige, "Meanie"

Janus states, "I'm feeling a bit restless at the moment, and it's hard to get into the game"

Temi nods at Janus.

Farra declaims, "It seems well. The political landscape is rife with the situations I love playing Farra in, so I hope to snag more people within the next .. 4 days and 7 hours .. for scenes!"

Steven questions to Janus, "Whys that buddy?"

Temi queries, "Just the normal getting back into things or any big problems staff ought to know about?"

Janus says to Steven, "I think there was a lot of political intrigue and danger, and it's piled up to make a lot of misinformation and confusion, which has muddied theme, aliances etc. Essentially I'm living lies on top of lies in the RP. It was very good when you posted those letters, by the way. I felt that helped to clear a lot up."

Janus muses to Temi, "I think a lot of it stems from my own feelings that there are people playing against my role who have taken things very personally. I'm just here to provide a role, y'know?"

Temi says, "Let's not discuss RP that people might not know about, though, at least not in any specific terms."

Janus claims, "It may be entirely in my head."

Steven states, "I wont confirm or deny who posted said letters."
Janus nods at Temi.

Temi states, "I'm sure people will want those surprises on grid."

Janus states, "Yes, this is all public knowledge"
Janus says to Steven, "Er... someone then. Sorry haha"

Steven states, ":)"

Daire offers Janus a hug. "I hope it gets better."
Temi nods at Janus.

Janus says, "Anyway, it's getting tangly and it seems that there are a lot of personal feelings mixed in"

Daire has been having a good week so far as well.

Steven states, "We got no problems between us mage bro"

Janus says, "Thanks Reeve bro"

Temi wonders, "Well, in traditional Kin form.. anything else shitting anyone that staff ought to know about?"

Sauvaige says, "Can say the order loves you OOC'ly. Such a breath of fresh air having a manus who actually makes some dang fun roleplay for everyone - instead of just killing people. :D"

Steven says, "How bout we host a barbeque to lighten things up. Really illuminate relations."

Farra declares, "As a general encouragement to those here: if you want to mix up RP and get into a scene with the Countess, don't hesitate to send me an ooc tell! While I can't promise to always make scenes ICly fun for your character, I do try to always be enjoyable OOCly and give more things to develop your character about than 'I'm a skary noble adore me'"

Onreon asks, "We need more reeves/thieves RP to offset the magery drama, I think. Anyone willing to drum that up?"

Steven hires Farra someone to feed her grapes and fan her.
Farra states to Steven, "Farra got married for a reason."
Steven says to Onreon, "Oh theres plenty of that already."

Empena claims, "I have something but it's going to come up in my topic."

Temi asks, "Okay. I don't think we have anything else for heartbeat then, so let's move onto Empena's topic. Can you introduce it please?"

Empena muses, "I have some thoughts and concerns that came up during this Gambit that were also brought up during the last and I'm uncertain at the time if there was a conclusion/thought on it. It's sort of a multi-layer point about the Gambit and Support system. So, what's the preference, monster post or individual talking points?"

Temi wonders, "How about individual points?"

Lyana claims, "Oy"

Kinaed says OOCly, "Not really here. Sorry guys. Just sitting in."

Temi waves to Kinaed.

Temi claims, "Empena was just going to introduce some points to us on her topic."

Empena claims, "So, one is, and I have brought this up before - but during this Gambit it was inferred that the "power" behind it were town criers and posts and papers passed around town. Those things did not actually occur to my knowledge on grid. I have expressed concern before that the dissonance between "off-grid" things and "on-grid" things can create oddities in RP. Personally this brings me concern about things that on-grid would cost coin/money/effort RP with others being done via other systems as well."

Lyana states, "I'm sorry guys store time."

Lyana claims, "I be back as soon as I can"

Temi nods.

Temi says, "I know that Kin's response to this was that town criers can't do things like this because they aren't vetted, but that gambits do have to be staff approved."

Temi says, "Glad to hear what people think about the costs and efforts issues."

Kinaed says, "At the time, it was brought up differently - it was raised 'if players can't use messengers like town criers to do this, why can they use gambits' or something like that. The answer was that gambits are like plots, staff reviewed, and town criers are accessible to any player at any time, as town criers."

Maisie says, "I would like to have seen some actual posting on notice boards, flyers left around places, and things like that, to go along with the ones described in the gambit."

Kinaed claims, "As for the above - the 'mass of people handing out pamphlets' was written for the most recent gambit. A gambit is a code mechanism that is the same for everyone. It goes into a staff queue to review and see if it's reasonable in terms of 'could the person behind this effect that, and would it seem reasonable."

Daire muses, "Costs like what? Like putting up IC fliers or paying people to promote the cause?"

Farra claims, " > There were rumors, public statements, and RP in public places regarding the gambit and those who support it and for what reasons. Also, I worry that if things were handled more on-grid, those of us who have time constraints due to -- whatever, really -- won't see other people's opinions and such in order to get involved themselves. Personally speaking, if I had had to do much more than browse over rumors and the gambit comments and the IC notes then I'd have not been able to think over Farra's answer and probably wouldn't have gotten to do some fun scenes to advance drama that the public didn't see."

Kinaed says, "I don't see why anyone needs more since an IC Event does the job."

Kinaed states to Maisie, "I agree, it'd be nice to have - but I don't think it ruins anything major not to have it."

Janus says, "I'm bothered with a lot of these public speeches that don't seem to have happened being posted on IC_EVENTS"

Farra queries, "If the gambit had been more neutral that might've been necessary, but it became quickly apparent that the gambit would be successful and thus took some of the reason for 'why' out of it and instead focused some people towards 'what next?'"
Steven claims to Farra, "I had never thought of IC Events in that light. I actually agree with you that they are helpful in that way, nt that I think of it."

Daire queries, "Between the speeches, any rumors or propaganda fliers and a note on the IC Event Board talking about those things I think we are pretty well covered?"

Steven says, "*now that I"

Kinaed says to Janus, "But it did happen - that's the purpose of an IC event - to disseminate something that happened to the public."

Maisie claims, "I always thought IC events were reports of scenes that were roleplayed for people who couldn't be there."

Janus says, "I think IC_EVENTS should act as records. I'm not making a specific point here. It just seems to be the case with a few things in IC_Events"

Maisie says, "I didn't realise you could write an IC event and just post it as a stand-alone thing"

Kinaed states, "They're IC Events. They can be disseminating scenes that were RPed out, sure. They can also be notices to the pbase at large of something that happened IC."

Temi says, "We do prefer that IC Events discuss RP that has happened, rather than just other things you're doing, but it's not required."
Temi nods at Kinaed.

Farra claims, "Forcing someone to stand for a three paragraph speach is a waste of time, imho. They also have to be staff-approved, I believe."
say I don't know that anyone needs more, however, there seems to be an atmosphere that I've noticed that something done via IC_Event versus on live RP has more clout. Are they meant to be a total alternative to roleplay? Or a record of roleplay that happened? As there seems to be a misunderstanding there in which some people use it that way and others don't that causes a rift and potential disadvantage situation.

Empena says, "I don't know that anyone needs more, however, there seems to be an atmosphere that I've noticed that something done via IC_Event versus on live RP has more clout. Are they meant to be a total alternative to roleplay? Or a record of roleplay that happened? As there seems to be a misunderstanding there in which some people use it that way and others don't that causes a rift and potential disadvantage situation."

Kinaed says to Farra, "That's true. IC Events are submitted to the REquest Board or come in through the Plot system."

Kinaed states, "They are meant to be informative to the pbase about IC Events."

Steven states, "I've found chatting with folks IC has a much more profound effect than writing an IC Event post tbh."

Kinaed says, "It probably is."
Farra nods in agreement with Steven.

Steven claims, "So that may be a perception issue."

Kinaed states, "That said, IC Events certainly have their place, and they're a part of the gambit system."

Kinaed says, "Gambits are also IC Events."

Rothgar states, "If we're talking about gambits, I've got a passing comment of : Dat political apathy in the most recent one."

Arlow pontificates, "I think it's just easier to respond to RP than it is to respond to IC events. I'm not saying you can't go contact the relevant characters to talk to them about their event, just that things are much more clear in live RP. Not saying IC events don't have their place, though!"

Kinaed says, "Typically, IC Events are people alerting the pbase at large about macro, public things that have happened in an efficient manner. Ideally, they're an end point to existing RP, but sometimes they're just announcements, other times they're integrated into systems to ensure that the public is aware of things that they might not otherwise have a mechanism to learn about (see Plots)"
Steven claims to Rothgar, "I was surprised it only had that amount of votes."

Kinaed claims, "I think that it's actually a function of the math, which we need to fix."

Arlow states, "Maybe a reminder that people can react to IC events ICly. Sometimes it gets out of hands when people respond to IC events with more IC events instead of yelling at each other in person."

Sauvaige says, "From all the gambits I've seen, it usually stops around the 40%ish mark. "

Sauvaige says, "Vote wise"

Kinaed says, "It's what % of active characters voted - but to prevent people from creating a lot of alts or RPing across their characters, players can only vote on one character."

Janus asks, "Can we make IC_Events of events that happened and were likely talked about?"

Empena asks, "True - which is another point. Should we establish some kind of minimum percentage of folks voting? Because if the IC_Event post is everyone has strong feelings on this, yet the actual turn out is really really low it seems a bit off. Or maybe it's a math display - like what is the percentage based on? Active characters?"

Temi nods at Janus.

Kinaed states, "So I think a far higher percent of the active pbase voted than is represented."

Temi says, "Unless they are more appropriate to rumors."
Kinaed says to Janus, "Sure can, just post it to the Request Board."

Temi states, "But big sorts of things certainly can be."

Janus trails off, "Will do. Got one happening right now actually..."
Kinaed says to Janus, "We might say no if we think it's not appropriate, but we usually say yes (because people don't bring us things that aren't appropriate, usually)"
Temi nods.

Temi questions, "Okay, Empena you had some more points?"

Steven trails off, "I can send staff some highly innapropriate events..."
Kinaed states to Steven, "Please make sure they make me laugh :P"
Farra states to Steven, "Or else."

Steven cackles.

Temi claims, "She also laughs if Niamh squirms."

Janus states, "Don't steal my erotic fiction idea"

Kinaed twiddles her hooves and looks innocent.

Steven muses, "So pretty much anything erotic or inappropriate, Temi?"

Norrig bow.

Norrig states, "What."

Norrig says, "I came at the right time."

Empena asks, "Well, one this is that IP/Support from what I can see can be sort of gamey with Gambits. IE - as it always rolls over at the same time and it resets - folks at some time zones versus others can get a "jump on it." Is there a minimum amount of time someone has to be at Gambit level to start a Gambit? I know that was a concern last time. And ... if there is an "Ousted" level - what is that for? Ousting someone without a Gambit entirely?"

Steven queries, "I think Ousted is just a terminal thing until staff sees it to remove them?"
Kinaed nods at Steven.

Kinaed states, "There is no minimum amount of time a person has to be vulnerable before they can be gambited, no."

Temi says, "The gambit should finish at the same time regardless and the order things come in during the gambit shouldn't matter though."

Empena claims, "I'd like to propose that one be considered then."

Kinaed claims, "The idea is that players should make an effort not to become vulnerable in the first place."

Farra claims, " > Personally, I think it's fine for some to 'get a jump' on it, esp. those who organize the gambit. Such is the court of public opinion: the accuser gets to handle the first blow and the onus falls to those in power to rally their alliance to counter it. In this specific gambit, the only public support of the Seneschal was GL who was being grumbled about in rumors already, so it wasn't terribly much of a counter-punch."

Kinaed says, "My view is that a gambit is just an opening."

Rothgar claims, "I was mulling over an idea that I'd had earlier that I'll more than likely pass onto the forums, but the old gearbox got turning on something about Gambits. So the Seneschal - AFAIK - has the power to gambit people if s/he's got a good reason behind it. Why not scrap the current gambit system and hand that power over entirely to the Seneschal? Make the bigwig feel important, people can still vote if it happens, but giving it a little more IC creedance."

Temi states, "And changes in support and what not shouldn't immediately go into effect anyway. I think that's readjusted at rollovers."

Kinaed states, "It isn't the end, the vote is. A gambit of a popular person by mathing it out isn't going to get them kicked out of office"
Kinaed nods at Temi.

Kinaed says, "I think it's nightly, yeah."
Norrig asks of Rothgar, "So only a seneschal can gambit, in your idea?"

Temi states, "So you can't see that someone is in a vulnerable position and possibly 'fix' it before anyone can take action."

Temi says, "They'd still have at least 24 hours - it's not a timezone advantage."

Steven says, "My only concern with that change is it makes a Seneschal impossible to gambit."
Farra nods in agreement with Steven.

Kinaed states, "It'd also leave one person in charge of removing people who need to be removed, who is often' not the most vested person and who themselves may or may not be on top of things."
Norrig nods.
Rothgar claims to Norrig, "Yeah, the Seneschal would initiate the gambit, and the 'support system' would be still in place so they could get a general idea of what people think of them, but it encourages RP between SEneschal and GL's."

Kinaed states, "I think the distributed system is better."
Temi nods at Kinaed.

Farra says, "The Seneschal isn't supposed to be thematically like a regent, anyways. Thematically, the Queen has the power to remove GLs and such; the Seneschal is just an elected leader to keep her from having to meddle in everything."
Norrig asks of Rothgar, "I see... but what if the seneschal is in league with someone? They can never, ever be ousted in that case while the seneschal remains"

Kinaed states, "The Seneschal is the governor of Lithmore, more or less, and responsible for all Lithmorran residents and the city itself."
Norrig states to Rothgar, "I mean, the senschal being in league with the GL people want ousted"

Farra says, "I like this system."

Farra states, "The current one."

Rothgar says, "I mean, I'd assume that that'd be a 'I'll write to the Queen' bit, but they're only in power for... What, 6 months? And the imms have already stated that they'd step in if people were ousted unfairly. I'll bring it up on the forums, so we get a little bit more of thought on it, but still."

Rothgar claims, "Just thought I'd get the old almonds activated."

Steven states, "Mm almonds"
Norrig nods at Rothgar.

Steven states, "I'd like to mention something."

Janus asks, "Is there any more thought about the seneschal ousting secret GLs?"

Norrig looks at the reeve.

Steven states, "About the Seneschal role in particular"
Lyana is idle.
Norrig claims to Steven, "Speak, Scale."
Farra has lost link.

Temi says, "I don't think we did discuss that one.. I'll make sure it's officially on our staff talking points."
Temi nods at Steven.

Steven claims, "Folks should keep in mind that becoming Seneschal requires politicking and support from people. That in itself is an undertaking. If you focus more on relationships and fostering as one, you may find you don't really need nuclear options like gambit power to be rather effective."

Steven states, "The position itself is all about throwing political clout."

Temi states to Janus, "I do want to add the Seneschal cannot oust anyone. They can start off a gambit discussion."

Empena states, "My last thought sort of related would be the thought about the Council and possibly University becoming Guilds/roles again. There's a lot of concern about crossover in Guilds or bunch ups, but at the moment that's sort of inevitable given what Guilds are open etc. Having more Guilds would spread that out. "

Steven says, "Pretty sure council also has a fairly hefty cash flow"

Steven claims, "Which is great for greasing wheels"

Temi claims, "It's not necessarily important to be a part of guilds. We certainly don't feel it's required to have a good, full character."
Norrig nods.

Temi claims, "Council is a guild, but it's not a required one."

Kinaed claims, "Truly gone now. Thanks for coming folks, sorry I couldn't participate more."

Temi claims, "But we've discussed opening additional guilds and we didn't really feel it was necessary at that point.. in fact, it would probably be a negative, pulling people away from needed guild roles to fill ones that are more optional."

Empena states, "True, but it does provide things like a chat group and a mail group for ease of consideration. It also provided coded lists of folks for ease of finding people for certain things."

Rothgar questions, "I mean, they're not filling the neccessary roles anyway, right? <shrugs>"

Steven says, "University seems like a rather small group to need a guild."

Temi claims, "Scholars has never been very successful as a guild, honestly."

Rothgar muses, "It always was. And I believe we shut it down in the past for just being a Manus 2.0, yeah?"

Daire states, "What are considered neccessary roles anyway? It seems like all guilds play their own parts to me."

Norrig states to Maisie, "Villains."

Empena says, "True, but there's Artwork now arguably you could push as a Guild skill if you wanted, if it didn't have a lot of purpose/support before that might not have helped things. "

Daire says, "And as someone with the teach skill and who orginally planned to be an art professor...not all university minded characters are villains or mages."

Temi claims, "Each of the guilds does have a different role to play now."

Janus states, "I think the argument is that if you start anything which is guild-like and it picks up traction, then the admin will make it into a guild if you prove it adds to the game"

Janus says, "Better that way than making lots of empty boxes for things"

Temi muses, "Alright. I think we're about out of time now. Any last moment things?"

Norrig says, "Yes."

Norrig claims, "I wrote a new helpfile for newbies, help newbie commands. Niamh posted it in the chargen room as well. It has basic commands listed, because I would have loved to have such a help file when I started."

Temi pontificates, "Thanks for that! Hopefully some find it useful"

Norrig states, "I mean I found out about lockers 18 months into the game."

Norrig states, "And so on and so on. Many commands I never found out they even existed."

Steven muses, "Lockers?"

Janus exclaims to Norrig, "Nice one!"

Norrig claims to Steven, "Yes, my young padawan."

Janus laughs.

Steven claims, "Ive been here 3 years now I think and thats something Im unfamiliar with."

Daire asks, "Lockers? We have lockers?"

Norrig claims, "Help locker"

Daire says, "I now have a place to store my art."

Janus says, "Some of you need to read that helpfile"

Temi states, "There are lockers, yes."

Temi grins.

Norrig says, "I listed useful helpfiles at the end of the newbie commands help file."

Temi questions, "Okay, anything else quick before we send folks back?"

Steven says, "Its a whole new woooorld"

Norrig claims, "Yes. I love you all."

Daire offers hugs.

Norrig claims, "I'm done."

Temi waves.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:30 pm

So, I counted up the number of players that voted in the last gambit and divided it by the number of active players, and it turns out the math is correct.

However, I still think that it doesn't matter if a minimal amount of players participate. In a gambit situation, I would expect a gambited character to attempt to drum up support or take action to get people to care about keeping them in, as well as the opposition doing the opposite. RP for all! People who don't care just aren't influencing the situation either way.

• Information