Log of OOC Meeting for 9/3/2016

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Taunya

Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:16 pm

Temi says, "
Okay! Our agenda for today is 1) Staff Updates, 2) RP Heartbeat, and 3) Player Topics. Does anyone have any topics for today? I'll get you on the list now."

Fyurii has nothin'.

Temi has transferred Calanthe. [OOC]

Temi gives a wide ceramic platter painted with a scene across its base to Calanthe.

Temi has transferred Silrie. [OOC]

Jamus wonders, "
I suppose I'd like people's opinion on what makes a good GL, or at least an entertainingly bad one. Think that could be a topic?"

Temi gives a wide ceramic platter painted with a scene across its base to Silrie.

Temi nods at Jamus.

Jamus is on here as his alt!

Temi wonders, "
Okay, sounds good. Anyone else for the topics list?"

Taunya states, "
Seems like I had something, but can't think of it now."

Calanthe muses, "
I'd like to add one?"

Silrie gets an elegant, acanthus-embroidered coinpurse of satiny muslin from a white, wool tassled and elaborately-embroidered aumoniere.

Temi nods at Calanthe.

Silrie opens an elegant, acanthus-embroidered coinpurse of satiny muslin.

Silrie gets a handful of silver coins from an elegant, acanthus-embroidered coinpurse of satiny muslin.

The Courier hands Silrie a letter.

Temi claims, "
Okay. Got Jamus and Calanthe. Let me know if anyhting comes to anybody else."

Temi declares, "
So then.. staff updates!"

Temi says, "
I'll start, since I'm already talking."

Temi claims, "
Not really up to too much, no new big projects at the moment. My current little project has been figuring out how to streamline feedback for the city report/support/subvert process."

Temi claims, "
Right now I'm looking at adding to city report - when the current cycle will end, what you're currently influencing, if you're eligible to influence things, or how many IP it takes to be eligible to buy your influence into it."

Temi claims, "
And also to mark the biggest and second biggest shifts up and down from the last week with ++, +, -- and -."

Temi asks, "
Out of curiosity... is that friendly for our screnreader folks?"

Diana says, "
No, it just shows up as plus symbols."

Temi claims, "
The recent shifts section just got bug-fixed already to show the support/subvert shifts for the week."

Temi states, "
It is plus and minus symbols."

Temi claims, "
Like for example, a line in city report might be: Lawfulness : Superb (++)"

Temi claims, "
Which would mean that Lawfulness was the biggest shift up the past week."

Temi queries, "
Would people find that useful and readable?"

Diana claims, "
Hmm okay can we substitute the - with say a *? Because depending on the screen reader and how you set your verbosity settings, - won't be pronounced at all, and it'll just show up as... well nothing. Just my two sense, because with the way I have my reader set - my reader says nothing."

Temi has transferred Leofrick. [OOC]

Temi gives a wide ceramic platter painted with a scene across its base to Leofrick.

Taunya says, "
Or just have it write "2 up", or "2 down" if color is off perhaps. Looks fine visually."

Temi states, "
Hrm. * would I think confuse people more than not. It might be better to just leave that off. There would still be the 'Recent shifts' which would say 26 Apr 2016: Morale shifted up from Good to Excellent."

Diana says, "
Oh okay then, that's fine."

Temi says, "
Okay. Well, that's what I've been working on! I'll continue to mull it a bit more."

Temi wonders, "
Az, are you available for a small update now?"

Calanthe declaims, "
If I can sneak in, I'd like to withdraw my topic for later!"

Temi states, "
Okay."

Azarial claims, "
I hvae put in the lsat of the dieases, fixed the gate guards, and worked on the bug list some this week"

Silrie begins to descend.

Silrie leaves down, carried protectively in the arms of a brawny, caramel-skinned man.

Temi claims, "
I think most of the low-impact diseases have been seen in play now, and the high-impact ones won't happen until health metric is lower."

Diana asks, "
What's the lsat?"

Misune asks, "
Can you catch a disease if you are not logged on?"

Azarial says, "
No"

Fyurii has been disease-free.

Misune claims, "
Good to know."

Leofrick declaims to Fyurii, "Teach me your secret!"

Temi claims, "
Diseases are also based on real IC actions, like drinking bad water or being out in the cold while wet."

Taunya claims to Diana, "
Last"

Temi says, "
So healthy behaviors like having your hood up when it's raining will help protect from diseases."

Diana states, "
Ah, i didn't know it was based on that. i know it was talked about, but I didn't think it was implemented."

Fyurii says to Leofrick, "Never go outside. Never RP. Live in constant fear and confusion."

Leofrick states to Fyurii, "That would be my disease, sadly. :("

Fyurii gives the shifty eyes.

Temi queries, "
Okay, I think that was Az. Ismael! Do you have an update for us?"

Taunya claims, "
I was concerned at first, but then noticed I enjoy hospital RP."

Misune wonders, "
Speaking of being wet, with this now being an impact on being sick, when will we get actual towels that can be used to decrease the time of being wet? Like that should be something if being wet is actively going to endanger our characters"

Diana claims, "
Although, if we have ways of getting wet, we should have ways of drying ourselves. Okay sorry, shutting up."

Ismael claims, "
I have my laptop back and so I'm back to working on assets and everything else, which makes me terribly happy. I also have gone forth with the new step in the Manus plotline, stay put! I've handled requests and tried to answer questions but it was not the best week for me. I'm hoping to get some mapping done today."

Taunya agrees with Misune and Diana.

Temi says to Misune, "We've discussed it before. We should revisit that and push it through."

Taunya gets a simple linen towel, embroidered with a merry leaping fish from
a wolf pelt bag, fit with leather straps and canine catches.

Temi comforts Ismael.

Temi declaims, "
Yay laptop back!"

Misune nods to Temi "
I know we have, as I brought it sometime ago before disease was a thing." premonition for the win

Fyurii states to Ismael, "I know that feel bro, it's been a shit week lol"

Ismael nods his wistful agreement.

Tacitus joins the shit-week team!

Temi wonders, "
Okay, that's all your update then?"

Ismael nods at Temi.

Temi muses, "
Alright then! Player Heartbeat! How's RP felt this week? Anything bothering people we should know about?"

Diana declaims, "
Minus today, which has been dreadfully slow, it's been good!"

Tacitus declaims, "
I have a topic, now that I remember!"

Temi says, "
Got ya down."

Temi nods at Tacitus.

Misune has not had steady internet so can not really say

Tacitus claims, "
It's been a lot of fun."

Jamus claims, "
Mostly I've been on my GL alt, enjoying the novelty of having people come to me for RP."

Tacitus claims, "
I've been having a lot of fun."

Jamus claims, "
I almost miss lurking around in bars. :P"

Temi grins at Jamus.

Fyurii says, "
Brotherhood RP has taken an ultra-interesting turn, I'll give it that. I've been trying not to log when I'm in a shit mood but everyone's been fuckin nice as Arien to me, and I -do- appreciate it. Y'all are my happy-mood modifiers <3"

Temi questions, "
Sounds pretty good in general. Is the slowness today just probably holiday weekend in the US stuff?"

Tacitus declaims, "
I login when I'm in a shit mood because it fits my PC!"

Diana claims, "
Yes Tacitus, it really does. your char is positively petrifying, and Temi probably. It happens."

Fyurii asks of Temi, "Might have something to do with draft week in the US? Iunno"

Tacitus claims, "
Could be, yeah."

Tacitus grins at Diana.

Taunya claims, "
Things have been pretty quiet this week, but I've made a little of my own drama which was fun."

Temi declaims, "
It's also still early. It might pick up!"

Leofrick states to Tacitus, "I always thought you were fluffy."

Tacitus claims, "
Thanks."

Tacitus claims, "
I?m fluffy."

Diana says, "
He's only fluffy when he chances to be in good spirits which is rare."

Temi asks, "
Anything bothering folks we should know about?"

Tacitus pontificates, "
Not from me!"

Fyurii says, "
Not over here, newp."

Jamus says, "
I've been having a perfectly pleasant time. :D"

Leofrick states to Diana, "He's always fluffy. "

Leofrick exclaims, "
No complaints from me either!"

Temi queries, "
Well, that's great! Anything else before we move onto player topics?"

Diana says, "
Just one tinyt hing, and I brought it last week, but I'm just... it's tiny. I'm more saying it to get out forever out my system. I wish, there could be some tome or something either ic or ooc, giving us physicians treatments for diseases. Because like this this passed week, I've had difficulty getting staff, to find out the treatment for a disease, and it halts the rp, because I don't have the cure. Sorry, shutting up, out of my system permanently."

Temi wonders, "
I included details in all the concocts! They're not all explicit but do those notes not help?"

Azarial claims, "
All I have are vnums, which don;t help."

Leofrick wants to make a doctor again...

Diana states, "
Right, so how do I see those? Because like if I type concoct, it shows me all the concoctions, but not... what they do. I used to know how to view the notes, but I can't remember."

Temi claims, "
We haven't received any request notes from physicians having issues, so hard to know if we aren't giving the right system feedback."

Temi claims, "
Concoct show <concoction>"

Diana claims, "
So then hmm i wish there was a book or something. Because then if we dont' know the cure, I have to stand there and do concoct show concoction for all the concoctions. which... is a lot of concoctions."

Azarial claims, "
Player write the books, not staff."

Temi states, "
That sounds like a great thing for some physicians to write, yeah."

Diana says, "
Oh touche."

Temi grins.

Tacitus smiles.

Azarial says, "
All of the books are player written."

Temi says, "
We'd be glad to review it if someone wants to write one - or work with others with more skills to write them."

Jamus claims, "
Wait, really? That's amazing."

Misune asks, "
Even the erra pater?"

Diana states, "
Okay sorry, out of my system forever. I just needed it out there. it's gone down."

Azarial says, "
There are a few plays dating back to 2005 floating around, iirc."

Ismael states, "
Player-written books can be submitted to the Grand Library and immortalized, even."

Taunya muses, "
I noticed the two times I took the correct cure, it says "modifies modifies constitution by 0" in my affects list, is that a good way to tell if you got the right one?"

Temi states, "
Not -all, all- of them. The Erra Pater is staff written and like... I think I wrote that cookbook when I released cooking. But almost everything is player written."

Temi says, "
Nope, that's just a thing from the concoction itself, not whether it's affecting the disease."

Azarial says, "
No, that is not related\"

Jamus says, "
That's actually fantastic. I'd assumed the player books were few and far between, but now I'm motivated to write one myself. :D"

Temi nods at Jamus.

Temi claims, "
Nice, cushy QP rewards for writing them too."

Tacitus declaims, "
I love writing books!"

Fyurii says, "
One day I'll finish Inquisitors and Illuminati : The IC DnD game."

Temi says, "
You should be able to tell within like.. half an hour? I think if the cure is working."

Fyurii whittles them d20's.

Misune queries, "
Oh god, I remember that... you were that character?"

Fyurii exclaims, "
Probably!"

Temi says, "
Six hours, actually."

Taunya claims to Temi, "
It doesn't seem to do anything until 6 hours later"

Temi claims, "
Yeah, Az corrected me. I'd heard a previous version."

Taunya states, "
Perhaps a note in affects that things are improving would be nice."

Temi nods.

Temi declares, "
Okay, on to player topics then!"

Temi wonders, "
Jamus, you wanted to talk about good GLs?"

Jamus claims, "
Sure! Sorry if I'm a bit slow, RPing on that GL right now actually. :D"

Jamus says, "
Basically, this is my first GL character and in fact the first one to have ever been genuinely important in any capacity, and that can be a little overwhelming. I wanted to hear everyone's opinions on what makes a good GL, or a "fun" bad one. It's one of those things where you start having OOC responsibility as well as the IC stuff, and I want to be the best I can to help people have as much fun as possible."

Temi nods.

Diana says, "
Just be available. The worse gl, is the one, that is hardly ever available, and never gets back to you."

Tacitus says, "
I think making it challenging for the guild members is really good. I hate it when everything is served for me and I just, say, take that 'Lord Uber Champion' title and sit on my rear all day."

Taunya nods to Diana. "
That's all I could really say. Haven't been in a guild since original TI, but that was my problem then."

Tacitus says, "
I like it when I have to grind, suffer, hate you. I want to hate you, GL."

Temi claims, "
From staff perspective, we want people to get replies to communications, and to be handling moving people up the ranks, inducting folks, giving feedback, etc. That's a minimum."

Diana declaims, "
Oh ga, no!"

Tacitus pontificates, "
But that's just me and my 'challenges make the game' philosophy!"

Misune says, "
But don't be too harsh, or else they end up rebelling.."

Temi says, "
But the really great GLs make the guild visible and seen actively doing things. Excited about being in that guild."

Diana claims, "
And talk to your guild members. Communicate with them, so they know that you're you know... available."

Fyurii claims, "
I envy the dead who have seen the end to GL roles. The biggest thing that I can pop into the conversation is that when you make a decision - right or wrong - roll with it. Nothing worse then a GL who's wishy-washy, personally. I'd rather take a dagger in the back then have people think I won't stick to my guns."

Tacitus hugs Fyurii.

Tacitus declares, "
Well said!"

Fyurii says, "
Of course... <looks at his own GL list> Take that with a huge grain of salt."

Misune high-fives Fyurii "
amen to that."

Jamus claims, "
Oof, I've definitely been handing out roles like candy, if only cause it's so scant memberwise right now. I've been trying to get out and make the role seem interesting, at least - and also trying to make sure that he's still a believable character as well, which is hard. There's a great compulsion to never get anything wrong, so that the guild stays afloat. :P"

Tacitus states, "
If you hand them out like candy, make it feel realistic at least, which I think you did."

Temi claims, "
Nothing wrong with giving out roles to get folks in the door, I think. But once they're there, don't automatically up, up, up without any involvement."

Fyurii states, "
That reminds me. I gotta make a priest."

Jamus says, "
Haha, glad to hear it. I'm doing as best I can, and I suppose that's all I can really do in the end. Maybe try to be a little more active, of course. :)"

Diana claims, "
I think yeah, to some degree there's nothing wrong with giving out roles. We all want to be involved, and know that we are taking part in something fun and important. So it's no fun playing a game, if we're not given a role, and feeling excluded. And yeah, I agree with Temi, you shouldn't just randomly promote someone who say is never around, or isn't too involved with the guild. But it's all balance."

Calanthe begins to descend.

Calanthe leaves down.

Jamus says, "
Well I guess since most everyone seems to know who I am by this point, if you want to get some cool Grand Inquisitor RP, just drop me a tell or something when you like. If I'm online, I'm ready to spread the love a little. :D"

Temi claims, "
But while just promoting people without any involvement gets boring and no incentive to do anything, not giving any recognition of those people who -are- involved and doing stuff is frustrating too"

Fyurii says, "
You know it bebby"

Temi muses, "
Any other comments on good GLing before we move on?"

Diana states, "
No, good here."

Temi muses, "
I'll take that as a no in general then. Tacitus! What's your topic?"

Tacitus wonders, "
Oh, okay! I would like to discuss phome building conventions and how I think we could write guidelines for better phomes. For example, what does everyone think about including furniture in the description of a room but not actually having bought that furniture for yourself?"

Misune trails off, "
Eh... In one instance it's ok because you don't want a room to be completely barren, but it's also annoying when you see a room that describes having a vast library with shelves of books, but yet there is not a single book or shelf in tht entire room"

Taunya states to Tacitus, "
I think furniture and other things are fine in descriptions, personally."

Tacitus says, "
I personally think furniture should be bought as it helps roleplay with merchants and whatnot, and at the same time it lets other guilds (for example, thieves) interact with your home."

Diana states, "
Well yeah, but we can't describe a phome without furniture. And if we don't quite yet have the money for aforementioned furniture, it's not fair to have a desc written as totally barren."

Jamus claims, "
Hmm, well I've certainly done it - but Jamus is such a simple character that he only really has a little desk and a bed, which I figure are alright. But for bigger things, like lavish furniture, it would be more fun to include merchants and the like."

Fyurii has broken into houses that describe having rows of books or many drinks, etc, and there's not a single item in the house. >.>

Diana states, "
I always thought of it like you can put it in your desc, as long as, somewhere in the future when you have the money, you'll buy said furniture."

Temi states, "
Well, my personal opinion is that furniture you actually purchase has its own benefits, which should encourage you to want to get them."

Taunya nods to Temi.

Temi claims, "
So I wouldn't expect people to buy it just to describe the feel of their home's furniture."

Misune trails off, "
I always try to purchase furniture when I buy/make a home, but sometimes you just can't find a woodsmith as well... they are a rare species of merchants"

Misune clears throat "
Carpenter."

Fyurii states, "
Woodsmith sounds badass though."

Tacitus declares, "
I personally think that it is really awesome when you enter to a residence and you find the table, the bathroom, and generally all the objects that should be there instead of a description, but I see how there's mixed opinions towards a rule that encourages otherwise, so... that's my topic!"

Temi nods.

Temi states, "
I personally try to have at least the few important objects, because I want them for their own reasons, but I don't want to look down on people who just want to go a little simpler."

Temi muses, "
Did you have other phome guidelines you wanted to discuss or just the furniture?"

Tacitus says, "
Well, I would personally enjoy if rules were added for phomes because sometimes there is a lot of inconsistency in them. I've seen some very unrealistic phomes that either (A) don't fit the context of their location or (B) fail to describe a realistic scenario (e.g.: fireplaces in a place where they wouldn't be possible)."

Tacitus says, "
Or lavish rooms you can't really benefit at all from when you break in to, which I've done with other PCs."

Temi nods.

Temi says, "
Keeping things realistic and well thought through is definitely good, but I don't think any of our builders are experts in a lot of these things, too."

Taunya asks, "
Perhaps let theiving characters loot and submit a new room description minus the fancy things if they break in, for some award?"

Fyurii laughs.

Diana claims, "
No, that's not fair. Thieves should not, be allowed to change the desc of other people's homes."

Tacitus claims, "
I think the easiest way would be to create a rule that encourages the staff to revise room descriptions for very inconsistent rooms."

Fyurii states, "
There's so many unpickable locks that it'd be a few and far between thing anyhow. XD"

Leofrick claims to Fyurii, "Nothing is ever unpickable."

Misune says, "
Staff already have to review room descs when they build them so staff must approve of them if they allowed it to be built"

Temi claims, "
Staff can require descriptions be changed if they don't make sense or seem reasonable for whatever reason."

Tacitus states, "
Say, if you have a simple wattle & daub room with little furniture, not adding furniture is fine; if you have this... I don't know, 'super uber regal foyer' with no furniture and you describe lavish couches and stuff, it should be nudged."

Fyurii claims to Leofrick, "Really? That's... Odd, then. I might need to bugboard that :/"

Tacitus declares, "
Oh, if there's a rule for that, it's fine!"

Temi claims, "
We can't really enforce that if we want to encourage people to buy from merchants."

Tacitus wonders, "
What do you mean?"

Leofrick states to Fyurii, "Or get people with the proper skills. :P"

Fyurii grins.

Temi states, "
Staff mainly review rooms on creation. You wouldn't have any of the furniture you're buying from merchants yet then."

Tacitus claims, "
Makes sense."

Tacitus nods.

Misune trails off, "
Unless you carry it around with you until the rooms are finished... I imagine someone lugging a table with them everywhere"

Temi grins.

Temi wonders, "
Okay. Looks like we're about out of time. Anything else anyone wants to bring up before we call it?"

Misune states, "
One small thing, a reminder about the Daravi Topic I created"

Misune says, "
Grabbing the link"

Jamus states, "
Oh geez, I totally forgot to post in that. Will do so by the end of tonight."

Leofrick states, "
Side note: I want to RP with all of you."

Misune asks, "
H[color=#bfbfbf]ttp://ti-legacy.com/foru ... 6][b]9[/b][/color]"

Taunya needs more creepypasta.

Temi states, "