Log for ooc meeting 5/21/16

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Silrie

Sun May 22, 2016 11:10 am

Kinaed questions, "(Eld)Today's Agenda is:
- Staff Updates
- Player Heartbeat
- Player Topics
Is there anything anyone would like to add to the agenda to make certain we discuss it today?"
Kinaed says, "(Eld)I'll take the silence as a no."
Axton claims, "I have a few random ideas I'd like to bring up before I post more spam on the forum :P"
Silrie squashes a cricket.
Kinaed claims to Axton, "(Eld)Excellent, I'll jot you down."
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)Okay, to kick off staff updates, I worked on the "city council" spec last week, and a bit on the jail automation spec. I handled a couple of tiny policy issues and did some minor general staff work like removing posts from boards, etc."
Kinaed queries, "(Eld)This coming week, I'll be finishing up the spec, so players should be able to see it next week. Please read this thread to get an early view: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=972"
Kinaed declaims, "(Eld)That's all for me. Azarial, you're up!"
Azarial claims, "(Daravi)Mostly bugs and chewing on the new specs, i believe"
Kinaed nods at Azarial.
Kinaed states, "(Eld)Just going to check the completed and bug boards really quick to see if anything warrants an announcement."
Azarial claims, "(Daravi)Did catch a couple crashes"
Kinaed states, "(Eld)We've had the addition of autotax, folks, if you don't want to have to type a command to pay your taxes."
Silrie will automatically pay taxes.
Ofelia perks.
Kahlen claims, "Ooh"
Silrie cheers.
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)It is untested, but we wouldn't mind if you test it."
Kinaed pontificates, "(Eld)Okay, I think that's it for major announcements. Thanks, Az :) Temi, you're up!"
Bess has lost link.
Temi declares, "Okay!"
Temi states, "So, Takta and I set to some deep discussions about how to bring brewing into line."
Silrie perks up.
Temi states, "And it'll be a bit smaller batch, as well as looking at a few other things"
Temi states, "So expect that coming up sometime in the not quite distant future."
Silrie questions, "Smaller batch?"
Takta finishes abruptly, "(Vandagan)(As a side fix, we'll be standardizing liquids so a cup always holds the same number of drinks - no more of this 2 drinks of beer but 6 of liquor)"
Bess has reconnected.
Temi says, "So the casks you are getting from a single recipe are not quite super huge things it takes foreeeever to get through."
Temi claims, "So you can more reasonably actually plan to use several of them in your lifetime."
Temi states, "Since you're going to have to make several of them to train up."
Silrie wonders, "I like the size of casks, it's just the bloat. But I guess all that gets addressed?"
Temi claims, "It's all part of it."
Temi nods.
Silrie claims, "I think that if you do what Rain does in the three cups and fill mugs from casks, the size pays off."
Takta says, "(Vandagan)By turning down the size, you turn down the bloat."
Silrie states, "Hmm."
Temi claims, "It'll cost less to make each, so if you need a whole cask worth, you can make get two poolings out of the same stuff, rather than one."
Silrie says OOCly, "Oooooh!"
Temi states, "I'm also working on a proposal for class mobility stuff which has been ongoing for a while... I should actually get the proposal posted for staff sometime this weekend."
Takta says, "(Vandagan)It may sound counterintuitive to reduce what you get per recipe, but in practice it means no more gigantic lakes of liquor to go up one rank."
Silrie giggles at Takta.
Temi claims, "And I think that's about it."
Temi nods at Kinaed.
Kinaed smiles.
Kinaed claims to Temi, "(Eld)Thank you."
Kinaed states to Takta, "(Eld)You're up."
Kinaed has transferred Kylar. [OOC]
Elzenn gives a filthy, cracked teapot with a greying rat painted upon it to Kylar.
Takta trails off, "(Vandagan)So most of what I did this week was work that actually pays me (sorry TI...)"
Silrie claims, "How could you."
Temi claims, "A Takta tha can afford to eat is a more useful Takta here."
Kinaed has transferred Nils. [OOC]
Elzenn gives a filthy, cracked teapot with a greying rat painted upon it to Nils.
Takta says, "(Vandagan)But I did work with Temi on brewing stuff! And misc other small things. Immediate priorities for me remain getting the medical helpfiles updated and also building a little addition to the grid you'll hear about sometime this summer."
Takta declaims, "(Vandagan)That's basically it! "
Silrie claps for medical anything.
Kinaed pontificates to Takta, "(Eld)Thank you!"
Leofrick exclaims, "Moar places!"
Kinaed states to Elzenn, "(Eld)Your turn. :)"
Kahlen claims, "Yaaay"
Elzenn declares, "(Hillman)Alrighty!"
Elzenn exclaims, "(Hillman)Iiiiii... lent some ST support in the form of our buddy the Rat-man, did some phome building and some general board maintenance. I have set the scene for our upcoming White Flame endgame (ST tonight!). On the more intangible side, I have begun revising our extended demoning guidelines, so that staff might offer you guys what will hopefully be a *salespitch* more pleasant summoning service, as well as a few other fun tidbits when it comes to evil, gross creatures tromping around the city to eat your children. After this weekend, I still have some Farin climate/food to determine and a few other bits and bobs to handle which will quite probably go much quicker with our zealots in the ground!"
Elzenn declares, "(Hillman)And that.. is all for me!"
Kinaed smiles.
Nils wonders to Elzenn, "Apps still open for the ST tonight?"
Elzenn says, "(Hillman)It is a totally open ST."
Silrie hugs Elzenn.
Nils states, "Good! They're fun."
Kinaed claims to Elzenn, "(Eld)Thank you."
Elzenn claims, "(Hillman)But it is high combat, so people should probably keep that in mind."
Kinaed states to Ismael, "(Eld)Your turn :)"
Ismael says, "(Charali)This week I have been working more on statistics for activity and I am working on our marketing efforts. It's still a baby project though. As ever, I have been answering to requests, approving reqs and building. I have been catching up on awarding QP for the blog, and I opened Gabriel's Fine Decor and Furnishings shop, so make sure to visit it! I plan to add a few more items for sale this week, but my focus is definitely finishing the Cult's helpfile now that I have time again to do something other than requests. Somewhere soon I want to also work on the party food tables that you can request with QP -- some tables are small and some need better food."
Kahlen pontificates, "Buffet tables!"
Kinaed smiles.
Kinaed says to Ismael, "(Eld)Thank you."
Temi exclaims, "Make sure they are still not as good as player food!"
Ofelia states, "Vandagan everything, clearly."
Ofelia sagely nods.
Kinaed chuckles.
Leofrick claims to Ismael, "We're best friends. I insist."
Kinaed states, "(Eld)That concludes this week's Staff Updates."
Axton muses, "Have a player design the food at slightly less than their best standards?"
Ismael grins to Leofrick.
Ariel states, "A table of thoroughly mediocre food is here."
Kinaed wonders, "(Eld)Moving to Player Heartbeat - how was the game this past week? How was RP? Anything shitting anyone about the game at the moment?"
Kahlen drinks from a filthy, cracked teapot with a greying rat painted upon it.
[OOC] Tomas: "Slightly overdone meat, wilted lettuce and hard rolls"
Ariel claims, "My only problem is I'm spending too much time on TI. Halp, real life."
Ofelia says, "It's been goooooood."
Axton says, "I was mostly on RL stuff myself, but seemed fine to me."
Leofrick declares, "The RP that I had has been quite interesting! No.. Very interesting!"
Ismael declares, "(Charali)(Well, if anyone has suggestions for types of feast tables, feel free to hit me up with a pboard!)"
Kahlen claims, "TI has ruined my sleeping schedules."
Silrie says, "Uh, mazing! Sil's finally been released from her multi-month vacation in the hospital, and I'd just love to thank everyone involved in that minnie plot. It served its purpose and it was such fun."
Ofelia states, "Gentry-ing things up and trying to drag as many of them along with me as I can."
Ariel says to Kahlen, "Me too, and I'm on friggin' EST."
Leofrick leans in to whisper to Ismael, "Daravi stew..."
Nils says, "Lol, agreed. Hoping I manage to get out of prison soon enough to join the ST tonight lol."
Raymond claims, "Yeah, my life was ruined by the game too."
Silrie claims to Ariel, "TI shall never let you go."
Elizabethany exclaims, "Not too bad here!"
Raymond states, "But I'm happy it did that."
Kahlen frowns but is happy on the inside. Like, warm and fuzzy.
Axton says, "Psh, please. The game IS life."
Temi says, "I moved from the east coast to the west. That helps some."
Temi nods.
Kahlen says, "I have to move from the eastern side of the world to the west."
Temi states, "(And I still have to go to bed before Takta most nights.)"
Raymond states, "But I think RP was good! I'm happy to see more players about! I have been happy."
Takta says, "(Vandagan)My life is unhealthy."
Leofrick says to Kahlen, "Please do, I'll only be jealous of Kinaed then."
Kinaed states, "(Eld)Well, I am happy TI has been fun for everyone, and I hope the life-ruining comments aren't too impactful. If you need to take time out, we have a command called "Schedule" that allows you to lock yourself off TI during certain times of the day for productivity or, er, sleep."
Kahlen peers at Leofrick.
Leofrick squints right back.
Kahlen states to Kinaed, "Nah, it's fine. I'm a video editor anyway and I work at home. :D"
Ofelia states, "I'd be on the charali, myself. It looks scrappy."
Kinaed smiles.
Ofelia coughs, "*bet."
Kahlen asks, "Wait, who's the scrappy one?"
Kinaed declaims, "(Eld)Okay, we're getting to Player Topics pretty early! Yay!"
Leofrick pontificates to Kahlen, "The one who asked!"
Nils says, "Oh, I did want to mention right quick to players that were looking to speak/RP with me - I apologize that my schedule is so spotty, I've just got some OOC stuff to deal with. Mother has cancer again, father had a stroke, ex is talking to my lawyer about stuff - I'm AFK a -lot- but I promise I'll make it up to everyone in the downtime. XD"
Axton states, "Er... yes. Right."
Elizabethany pontificates to Nils, "Ouch! Best wishes!"
Ariel claims to Nils, "Yikes, I hope it gets better soon."
Ofelia claims to Nils, ":("
Kinaed nods at Elizabethany.
Ismael states to Nils, "(Charali)I'm sorry to hear that. My best wishes too."
Nils exclaims, "Promise I'm not avoiding anyone! Just busy, ha! Sorry, didn't mean to distract!"
Kahlen claims to Nils, "Life gives you shit sometimes, but there are special times when it's golden shit that makes all the others better and turns you into a glorious awesome creature of RL."
Kinaed has transferred Margaux. [OOC]
Elzenn gives a filthy, cracked teapot with a greying rat painted upon it to Margaux.
Kahlen drinks from a filthy, cracked teapot with a greying rat painted upon it.
Axton states, "When life gives you shit, thr.ow it at your ex's lawyer"
Margaux waves a bleary good morning.
Raymond waves at Margaux!
Kinaed wakes herself up at the keyboard thanks to the spouse handing her a coffee, and swoons. "(Eld)Okay, we probably ought to talk about Player Topics - nice and early in the hour too."
Axton exclaims, "Hey Marqaux!"
Silrie just chomps down on tomato and basil topped pizza.
Kinaed claims to Axton, "(Eld)You're up. Please introduce your thoughts."
Axton states, "Eh, just random ideas I had."
Kinaed queries, "(Eld)One at a time? :)"
Axton states, "1. Mail notification (blue M like with messenger)"
Axton claims, "2. RPXP bonus when less then 10 people online"
Axton says, "2. Mine for iron using pickaxes"
Axton states, "Er, yeah. numbers."
Takta claims, "(Vandagan)Mining's been suggested before and is a no-go."
Margaux says, "You can see in 'account' when you have mail waiting, iirc."
Silrie questions, "Would iron mining not be more suited to mountenous terrain?"
Kinaed says, "(Eld)The mail thing we can probably add."
Axton states, "Kk. That's why I listed thema ll."
Nils wishes there was mining, but knows that it'd be twinkish as heck.
Temi says, "We can't arrange for a successful value proposition for mining ICly, yeah"
Kinaed states, "(Eld)I'm not against an RPxp bonus for RPing with less than 10 people online. I'll have to think about it."
Azarial says, "(Daravi)It;''s effectively a flood plain. mining opportunities are few and deep"
Takta muses, "(Vandagan)Is that a mail thing on the prompt?"
Takta claims, "(Vandagan)It's in account and score already."
Elzenn nods at Takta.
Kinaed nods at Takta.
Temi exclaims, "I do worry about the mail on the prompt because people would be all 'Oh, I have mail! Got to go!'"
Takta nods at Temi.
Temi says, "Or it's just sitting there taunting you."
Takta says, "(Vandagan)And it doesn't make much IC sense."
Silrie claims, "I just periodically check my "score" or "acc.""
Axton says, "I've been online at 3am my time and seen 6-7 people online and talked to them about how hard it is to find RPXP."
Margaux states, "It can be tough in the twilight hours."
Axton claims, "I've had trouble with people never checking score and not seeing they have mail for a week."
Kahlen states, "People are only online between 12mn to early morning my time. Heheh."
Temi says, "You get it on log in too"
Axton says, "And you could always turn it off, you know."
Bertrand trails off, "I am not sure why the bonus though..."
Kinaed says, "(Eld)It's on the forums, but it was suggested in wording that made it sound like adding an %m, but %m and %M are taken, so it'd probably have to integrate with Az's (M) one. I wouldn't use color, but probably (Mail) and I think we ought to open (M) to (Messenger) honestly."
Leofrick claims to Axton, "It alerts when you log in...what temi said."
Takta claims to Axton, "(Vandagan)There was a bug lately."
Elzenn states, "(Hillman)And we recently had a mail bug."
Axton claims, "Its just a prompt."
Takta claims, "(Vandagan)That might be why people didn't realize they didn't have mail."
Takta states, "(Vandagan)A lot of mail got temporarily 'lost'."
Azarial says, "(Daravi)Probably %f"
Kinaed nods at Azarial.
Axton states, "No, when I first joined on my first account, the guild leader I was trying to contact didn't notice for a week he had mail."
Axton states, "Had to send him a tell eventually."
Margaux states, "Eh... you see that you have mail when you log on."
Silrie questions, "He might not have been on much?"
Raymond states, "I don't think it's necessary to add this, as it fills the prompt with more information than I'd like. I sometimes don't pick my mail because my character can't. I think typing account is fine, for me at least."
Axton states, "Just a suggestion."
Takta states, "(Vandagan)I imagine it was more a time crunch."
Elzenn says, "(Hillman)It's probably more likely to be an availability thing, yeah."
Kinaed states, "(Eld)We can make it an optional prompt for people who care."
Axton claims, "A tiny (M) like the red one when you have a messenger was my idea. Anyway, I just wanted opinions before posting on the forum."
Kinaed questions to Axton, "(Eld)Does that cover your thoughts?"
Kinaed nods at Axton.
Axton states, "Those ones, yeah, thanks."
Kinaed states, "(Eld)Given some people don't like it, I'd probably make it %<some letter> and let people set it optionally."
Kinaed states, "(Eld)It seems fine to me to add."
Kinaed says to Ariel, "(Eld)Okay, you're up. :)"
Ariel states, "This had some healthy discussion on the forums and so I wanted to bring it here: changing whereRP to be off on default. Right now, people often leave it on when they don't want RP, or when they're in unaccessible places, etc.
If Rp defaulted to off, we would know any time somebody had their RP on they were actively seeking RP and desiring people to come to them, and so 'where' would be a much more useful tool for its intended purpose. As it is, with it defaulting on, it doesn't and can't have the same meaning because it's so often on by mistake.
There was concern that this would result in only a few people having where on at any given time - and while that's true, I think that may be no worse than seeing a bunch of 1s in private phome rooms."
Kinaed claims to Ariel, "(Eld)It's not going to happen."
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)People turn it off, they forget about it when they log in, then we have a massive deficit of people showing on where."
Temi claims, "More than what the action would be, the defaults of the game say something about what the game expects of people."
Ariel claims, "I think that's honestly not so bad as seeing a lot of 1s you can't access."
Bess has lost link.
Ariel states, "And having no idea if presence on 'where' actually means anything."
Silrie nods.
Silrie trails off, "The thread's kind of made me rethink my stance on it as well..."
Temi claims, "If we have whererp on by default, it's like saying, when people log into the game, we expect them to be wanting RP"
Axton states, "I also hate seeing 10 people online and each one in a seperate area I can't get to."
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)I disagree, and I'm not making whererp default to off."
Ariel says to Temi, "I don't think that really makes people enter that mindframe, though."
Ariel says, "Okay."
Silrie says, "It's not even just that. Say someone's concocting in the hospital kitchen. I can access that, but then I feel bad if I've interrupted grinding."
Axton muses, "Why not table the idea for a while and get into more detail later?"
Margaux questions, "I wouldn't mind tagging public rooms a different colour on 'where' if that is doable, it may help some?"
Temi says, "I don't think it changes things this way.. but if we changed it, I do think it would be a subconscious effect on people 'When I log in, I may or may not want to RP'"
Nils says, "Iunno, I saw that thread on forums, and my thought process is that if you're idle in a private room, being AFK turns WhereRP off automagically. Imho it's a code change for something that players should be doing on their own."
Ariel says to Temi, "I would think most of the game already thinks that; I know I always do."
Leofrick has lost link.
Temi says, "The policy n the game is if you're on the grid, you're there."
Kinaed nods at Temi.
Raymond claims, "I wouldn't like whereRP to be off. It's better to forget that it's on and having to bail out through an emote than forgetting it's off and not getting any RP at all."
Silrie states, "I see this side of it too. I'm so divided."
Margaux says, "What nils said. If I'm on where, office included, I'm available for RP. If I'm not available, I'm afk."
Ariel says, "I could keep arguing but Kin has said no, so."
Ariel grins.
Silrie smiles.
Kahlen agrees with Margaux and Nils.
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)I have a firm stance on the item - mostly because it's come up several times before."
Temi states, "Obviously, it would be best if the system could just detect what each person really wanted."
Axton claims, "It could be a flag could could add, like I'd like it if my phome turned off whererp automatically."
Kinaed nods at Temi.
Temi declares, "But, it can't. So I'd rather default to 'People in our game want to RP!' as an optimistic assumption"
Silrie grins at Temi.
Bertrand says, "I really want someone to come to Bert's house while he is relaxing in his tub, I am just saying."
Ariel states, "There is a flag for that, but I don't want my phome automatically off."
Kinaed nods at Temi.
Axton states, "Hence the "add" portion I included."
Margaux says to Bertrand, "I'll send off-tune carolers."
Silrie daydreams about the sorts of embarrassing and funny rp that could be had by people with private keys.
Temi questions, "I think we can add privaterp flags to homes? Do we have an extra charge for that?"
Kinaed states, "(Eld)So we've just gotten through everyone who had a player topic quite quickly."
Axton says, "I was thinking more about people being able to change thier -own- flag settings... but enough of that."
Temi says, "That turns whererp off in them."
Kinaed nods at Temi.
Kinaed says to Temi, "(Eld)We can make that free for people who want it."
Takta states, "(Vandagan)I wouldn't say we need to charge for that."
Temi nods.
Axton declaims, "That would be perfect for me!"
Kinaed says, "(Eld)I don't know if we should, but we certainly can."
Temi states, "So if you don't want people in your house to show up on RP, request it for our builders."
Elzenn claims to Temi, "(Hillman)We do. Most people who have the flag don't put it in their main phome rooms."
Ariel states to Axton, "That's why I said we already had it. :P"
Kinaed nods at Elzenn.
Nils states to Temi, "Oh hey, I had a quick blurb to get out if I can get a sec later."
Elzenn says, "(Hillman)But yeah, it's very easy to put in for whoever wants."
Kinaed states, "(Eld)I wonder if when people make requests for putting a phome in if we ought to make a point of asking them if they want privaterp flags anywhere or anything like that."
Axton states, "Ha, I see ariel. I didn't know what you meant by it, but it wasn't exactly what I meant."
Kinaed states, "(Eld)I suspect a lot of people don't take advantage of it because they don't think about it."
Axton says, "I didn't know it was possible, I -hate- it being on it my homes on all my accounts."
Temi nods.
Silrie queries, "Oh... I've a question, Kin?"
Ariel claims, "I think privateRP flags wouldn't solve my problems; several people often have access to my phome and sometimes I want to make it clear they can come find me."
Kinaed claims to Silrie, "(Eld)Of course, please ask. :)"
Ariel states, "But I just want to be able to look at where and know everybody on it -wants- me to come find them."
Axton starts writing a note. (This is an OOC action)
Kinaed says to Ariel, "(Eld)If it's really a big issue for you personally, you can set up a trigger with your client to toggle it off."
Elzenn claims, "(Hillman)Yeah, privaterp as a flag, is mostly used to prevent twinkery, more than just escape where."
Ariel says, "Right, I put it in my prompts and etc and usually I remember to turn it off."
Ariel claims, "But I find where isn't a useful command because many people are on it by 'mistake'."
Temi says, "Not that I have a secret dungeon with privaterp or anything. *cough*"
Elzenn claims, "(Hillman)That's not to say it can't change! But from where I have seen it used/it has been asked of me, that's kind of a general use."
Axton finishes his note.
Elzenn asks of Temi, "(Hillman)Tch. Dungeons, what?"
Elzenn shifty-eyes.
Silrie claims, "Okay, so, I've just been obsessing over this a lot lately. Have you guys ever, either with player assistance or through staff alone, held a group chat like this, but revolved around roleplaying? Different ideas of how to make your poses more engaging, resources for word usage, techniques, etc? Of course, google is a best friend in this, but I often find myself discouraged by my rp ability. I see repetition when I just can't think of another way to say something, and then I see spectacular posers and I'm like, oh ewww rping with me must be like walking through mud as opposed to wading through the waters of the caribbean."
Kinaed states, "(Eld)We haven't, but we'd be delighted to host one."
Temi says, "We've discussed about having 'RP Workshops' for those wanting to improve in some area or another"
Kinaed says, "(Eld)Just tell us when you guys want to, and we can schedule it and offer you this room for use."
Temi says, "But I don't think those staffers ever got them figured"
Kahlen says, "Oooh, that'd be lovely."
Kinaed nods at Temi.
Silrie says, "That would be so amazing. I'd really love any advice from more experienced rpers."
Temi claims, "Just a group chat meeting might be easier"
Takta wonders, "(Vandagan)Is there real interest in workshops? What kinda stuff would people like?"
Kinaed nods at Temi.
Axton states, "I would like it if the room desc could change, so it could be included in the posing."
Takta declaims, "(Vandagan)Other than prose writing which Silrie brought up!"
Kahlen says, "Welp, I actually started playing RPi's so I could improve my RL writing."
Kinaed nods at Kahlen.
Leofrick has reconnected.
Kahlen states to Axton, "I think the mood descs are for that."
Takta claims, "(Vandagan)I'd be happy to run a workshop on planning STs if there was interest in that."
Silrie declares, "Yes!"
Axton exclaims, "Yes!"
Kahlen says, "YES"
Kinaed states, "(Eld)I'm happy to host one - I even wrote a 'how to RP on RPIs' article once. It's on the forums if anyone is interested in reading it for tips."
Silrie trails off, "Prose writing, running sts, plots..."
Elzenn says, "(Hillman)Yeah, the ideas ranged from RP to courtesyto STs to plots."
Silrie states, "Oooh Kinaed."
Takta states, "(Vandagan)Lots of love for STs, noted."
Takta grins.
Kahlen claims, "Heh, songwriting for bards."
Axton trails off, "Pose writing, PKing workshops..."
Kinaed finishes abruptly, "(Eld)That being said, the biggest risk - so I'd want a staff member to be there - is having people prescriptively yelling at other players about how to RP"
Kinaed declaims, "(Eld)Not all advice is good advice! :)"
Temi grins.
Silrie says, "Haha, my own obsession lies with prose writing-- how to say what I want without looking like a third grader on course ruby and no sleep and how not to take 20 minutes to get out a pose I am ok with."
Axton disagrees.
Silrie says, "Especially in fast paced scenes where I feel totally overwhelmed and rushed. XD"
Kahlen says to Silrie, "I take years and years to emote. :( "
Takta claims, "(Vandagan)Prose is an interesting one because there isn't one right way."
Axton says thoughtfully, "my posing is based on the flow of conversation... if others are posing well and fluently and at a good speed, so do I. If it's stilted and badly written, so is mine."
Bess has reconnected.
Kinaed states, "(Eld)Okay, the article I wrote is here: http://ti-legacy.org/content/How-to-Rol ... RP-MUD.pdf"
Silrie says, "Oh, I know. Some people are straightforward, others flowery... I'm seeking advice in that. How to incorporate the world around you or those little things we all do but don't think of consciously, so we overlook them in writing."
Takta trails off, "(Vandagan)People can be good writers because their dialogue shines, they've got a very evocative vocabulary, their poses are funny, they give other people a lot to respond to/the actual -content- of the pose is good..."
Silrie says, "Suggestions. Anything ... I just need help."
Kinaed queries, "(Eld)Some good links on our forums are:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=445
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1060"
Takta says, "(Vandagan)I think caring less is also a good piece of advice."
Kahlen declares, "Thanks, Kinaed!"
Takta grins.
Kinaed nods at Takta.
Elzenn starts editing a note. (This is an OOC action)
Axton laughs and agrees with Takta.
Elzenn finishes her note.
Takta claims, "(Vandagan)Nobody here's churning out publishable prose off the top off their head in their emotes, that's for sure."
Takta says, "(Vandagan)*of their head"
Bess grunts grunts grunts.
Ofelia says, "Yeah, at some point we are all trying to crank out a paragraph in an acceptable time frame. Sometimes it goes wrong."
Ofelia claims, "And that's fine."
Kinaed says, "(Eld)It's important not to get too bound up in your character's survival, etc. We play games for the fun they bring us, and the absolute worst thing that can physically happen is the death of an idea (we at our computer screens won't take a scratch), but death is actually a rare occurance and mostly you just stand to gain rich RP by throwing caution to the winds."
Ariel says, "According to me there are only five adverbs in the English language and two-three of them will be in every pose."
Axton states, "It's better to pose a badly written paragraph that fits with the conversation than spend 15 minutes making a beautifully written pose while the other's fall asleep."
Ofelia does decorous things... decorously.
Kinaed states to Axton, "(Eld)Yes and no."
Tomas trails off, "Bad tomas caused Tomas a lot of shit... but proved to be some interesting rp when it happened"
Bess says, "I don't know about that. I like well written poses, even if they're irrelevant."
Ariel claims, "My actual emote writing is a trash fire but I skate by on dialogue."
Bertrand claims, "I tend to "wait a moment" a lot"
Kinaed says to Axton, "(Eld)I think if it regularly takes you more than 5 minutes to get a pose out, you're probably going a bit too slow for your RP partners."
Kylar is idle.
Ariel claims to Kinaed, "Iiii don't agree."
Ariel grins.
Kylar is no longer idle.
Kylar has returned from AFK.
Elizabethany states, "I think it depends on the pace of the RP"
Elizabethany states, "If it's with random people on the street, try to stick to 5 minutes and under."
Takta nods at Elizabethany.
Kinaed states, "(Eld)But many people prefer better poses than short or generic ones that just describe what people are doing."
Margaux claims, "Context is everything."
Ofelia states, "I think it's nice to be adaptable in these situations. 15 minutes in a big scene is crazy, but with another person, if the emotes are crafted for that reason, it can be fun."
Axton says, "Its a complex subject, lol."
Elizabethany says, "If it's someone you know and are RPing with, can fit to the same pace as each other"
Ariel states, "I honestly feel if your pose doesn't give other people something worth responding to, its length and even its quality of writing are irrelevant."
Kahlen agrees with Ariel.
Kinaed says, "(Eld)I go mad when my RP partners are taking 10 minutes to emote and I'm just sitting there waiting for them to emote."
Ariel claims, "Number one thing is just -progressing- the scene."
Axton coughs and points to all of this going on.
Kinaed states to Ariel, "(Eld)That I do agree with."
Silrie claims to Ariel, "Trashfire? Shut up. You're poses are wonderful."
Tomas says to Ariel, "Yeah I agree. My emotes are the trashfires lol"
Ariel claims to Silrie, "The 'action' portions of my poses are generally combinations of the same basic words unless I'm having a reeeally good day. But, see, it's awfully different from the outside."
Ariel grins.
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)But if two rounds in, 20 minutes have passed, and the only thing happening in the RP is someone sipping their drink, I'm fairly certain that I, at least, am not interested in RPing with that particular RP partner anymore. "
Silrie cries. I'm doomed.
Bess sips her drink for twenty minutes.
Ariel claims to Kinaed, "Yeah, I'll agree with that. My favorite scenes are usually intense 1v1s that take like 20 minutes each round."
Kinaed wonders to Nils, "(Eld)Did we miss something from you?"
Ariel says, "But a lot more happens than drink sipping."
Silrie laughs.
Kinaed nods at Ariel.
Margaux claims, "Advice to people playing with Kinaed, -slurp- your drinks instead. Loudly."
Ofelia says, "Murder gets plotted; plates get thrown."
Kylar grins.
Ofelia has good gentry dinner parties.
Nils states, "I was typing out a quick blurb if y'all are down with hearing it."
Kinaed nods at Nils.
Ariel states, "Tears and rage and liquor. Sorry Nils! Started blabbing."
Kinaed says, "(Eld)Quite keen. I don't think I've seen you at OOC Chats often, so I'm wondering what's on your mind. :)"
Nils says, "I just wanted to bring up a point we were speaking about last week, which was guild membership. I know the Imms saw/heard me whining my ass off about it, but I wanted to touch base on Brotherhood membership. If y'all take a gander at 'census,' you might notice that we have 5 people registered as Thieves (with maybe 2 or 3 'active') - as opposed to 6 Orderites, 8 Knights, 11 Nobles, 12 Reeves, and, Hell, 13 people registered as 'Heretic.' This is, obviously, not a call to action or anything like that - that's a player problem, not an Imm or whatever problem - I just want people to be aware. Since Orderite RP/stress was the topic last week, I thought I'd point out that the problem that Orderites are having are the same that the Brotherhood is having at the moment. "
Nils says, "Not pointing any fingers, again, but I just wanted to get that out on the table. It presents a dual problem, as well - if the Brotherhood is dead on arrival, then the Reeves have nothing to do. If the Reeves have nothing to do, then we've got roughly a quarter of the MUD on standby for something that'll never RP'ly happen. So... Yeah! Thoughts, concerns, all that, whatevs."
Bess has lost link.
Kinaed nods at Nils.
Bess has reconnected.
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)I think we've had the Tenebrae say that they need to retire and no one put their hands up to take up the torch."
Kahlen stops chewing on Leofrick's leg because it's all gone now.
Kinaed states, "(Eld)Perhaps we should open apps for that."
Axton coughs. "Terry Pratchett." Coughs coughs.
Bess says, "Apps for the Tenebrae? That ever happen before? I'd imagine it could be pretty conspicuous OOCly."
Ariel declares, "Try the Thieves! Life on the wild side!"
Tomas says to Axton, "If tomas were anyone but tomas, I would so suggest that"
Temi claims, "That happens sometimes. We do some to disguise it."
Temi nods at Bess.
Temi claims, "It's not common."
Nils trails off, "Yeah, unfortunately I'm not clever enough to step up to the spot for Tenebrae, but at this point - again - we're kind of DOA, which stinks for Reeves. They've been fighting mages and doing Knightly stuff, so..."
Axton says, "Legalize Theivery! Obviously."
Silrie states, "I have a thought on the Brotherhood. I've had a character there before, and I found that there was no order. There was nothing to do, I had no idea what was expected of me, and I'm not keen on joining a guild you have to die to get out of when that guild, in my experience, has very little to offer."
Raymond is idle.
Raymond is no longer idle.
Raymond has returned from AFK.
Ariel claims, "Brotherhood membership was legal once upon a time."
Axton states, "Seems like a good forum discussion to me."
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)I don't think it's illegal now? It's not legal, but in and of itself, it's not a crime."
Ariel claims, "It is."
Silrie nods.
Ariel states, "It got made illegal back in Tobin's day."
Nils nods at Silrie.
Ariel claims, "Because all of the Reeves were Thieves."
Silrie laughs.
Silrie laughs.
Ariel says, "Which was not awesome."
Margaux says, "I don't think it is often prosecuted, based on my knowledge."
Silrie laughs.
Silrie laughs.
Kinaed says, "(Eld)Oh yeah, I forgot about that."
Temi states to Kinaed, "When the Reeves and thieves were knowingly having tea parties."
Ofelia says to Silrie, "There are a few guilds which demand a bit more proactivity."
Kahlen chortles.
Ariel claims, "Maybe if it was legal and it was easier to come and go it might lure more people."
Nils states, "The problem is like Sil said - there's very little advantages to joining up. Another player problem, but still. The main stuff is that we just don't have the people to manuver anything IC'ly. Like at all."
Bertrand states, "If I recall correctly "Criminal Association" Is a minor fine."
Kinaed claims to Temi, "(Eld)Or just split personality disorder. IIRC, there were 8 active reeves and 6 were BH or something."
Ofelia states, "People might not agree with me, but I would name Court as another one, it's really easy to just sort of end up staring at the wals if you don't decide to make things happen."
Ariel states, "If the Reeve/Thief crossover happened again if membership were legal, that'd suck, but I think we've grown as a game."
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)I don't know, I think the main advantage to joining hte BH is the RP and type of things the character does with the support of others."
Axton hmms...
Margaux states to Ofelia, "Absolutely a need to be proactive there."
Ofelia nods at Margaux.
Kinaed states, "(Eld)It's easy to end up staring at walls on TI if players are not proactive because staff don't run plots, no matter which guild you join."
Axton states, "I'll definitely join in a forum discussion on this."
Margaux has never actually played a thief in her years on TI.
Kahlen queries, "Random question: Do people hire the BH to do stuff?"
Temi says, "Some guilds are more ractionary - Order and Reeves especially, Merchants too."
Bess wonders, "Bounties?"
Takta says, "(Vandagan)There are occasionally requests and bounties, but I don't think they're common."
Tomas claims, "They were hired quite often during the Blackest Day event"
Kinaed states to Kahlen, "(Eld)Not often, which is why we created the bounty system."
Elzenn declares to Kahlen, "(Hillman)They could!"
Margaux says to Kahlen, "I've been burned by them turning on me every time I do. :)"
Tomas nods at Margaux.
Nils claims, "Oh, absolutely. The main advantage is the family that you inherit on joining. That being said, there's me and... What, maybe 2 other active people? I'm not the brightest bulb in the happy meal, and the others are great, but non combat chars. We're beat out big time by anyone with more then 2 combat characters on the MUD - or anyone with a single iota of political power. :/"
Kahlen winces at Margaux.
Ofelia says to Margaux, "Aw."
Nils nods at Margaux.
Silrie says, "Yeah... I get that thieves are double crossers, but that also strikes me as very cliche."
Nils states, "Yeah, same. And again - player problems, but that one is absolute butts."
Kahlen asks, "Perhaps it just really needs better leadership?"
Kinaed claims to Nils, "(Eld)I think that's cause for recruiting people with political power and demonstrated prowess with a weapon. Flattery can go a long way to filling one's ranks."
Takta says, "(Vandagan)Right now there's no upside and very many downsides to joining."
Nils nods at Takta.
Kinaed says, "(Eld)The reason we made bounties was to give people security in contacting the BH."
Nils states, "Lets be honest, the upside is getting to RP with -me- on the regular."
Nils grins.
Kinaed grins at Nils.
Kahlen laughs.
Ariel states to Nils, "There are worse perks."
Bess trails off, "I don't think I've ever seen bounties used for bad stuff though..."
Bess states, "Just easter egg hunts or something."
Temi says, "They do at times."
Nils says to Bess, "We've had a few things. The payout is generally too low for the higher-tier stuff, though."
Kahlen cracks his knuckles. "We'll see about that."
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)They have been. Only once or twice have we seen '5k silver to kill Bob' though, which was more down the lines of what we expected."
Margaux states to Bess, "I've used them for murders, poison purchases and discrediting rivals before."
Elzenn states, "(Hillman)People have been asking about murder and mayhem."
Elzenn says, "(Hillman)And drugs."
Takta claims, "(Vandagan)Murder bounties typically go unfilled."
Silrie declares to Elzenn, "Elzenn a happy Elzenn!"
Kinaed trails off, "(Eld)Yeah, lots of 'get me an illegal item I cannot buy in game'..."
Kinaed says to Takta, "(Eld)Doesn't stop me from trying :P"
Nils says, "So anyway guys, I know I'm just pretty much complaining but I did want folks to think on it for a bit and know that I'll be trying to meet with y'all RP'ly in the future, I'm just busy and in prison atm. XD IC'ly! That is. I'm not in prison OOC'ly. >.>"
Axton claims, "Reminds me of that forgery idea I had, but oh well."
Silrie grins at Nils.
Ariel states, "I suppose what a lot of us with money/power can do is be more open to bounties."
Ariel says, "And/or hiring Thieves in general."
Elzenn says, "(Hillman)Also there's probably nothing stopping people from offering that kind of service."
Elzenn may have hired an urchin or two in her day.
Kinaed nods at Elzenn.
Kinaed says, "(Eld)Okay, we're at the top of the hour."
Silrie says, "I still think being murdered if you want out is extreme. Get a brand, a hidden tattoo... something. But eesh. Newbies might not know what they're getting into."
Elzenn claims, "(Hillman)Characters with money should probably get rid of it."
Nils states, "I'd be absolutely more then happy to do what I can do assist folks if they wanna talk to the Brotherhood about stuff - I think we're all pretty clued in IC'ly that I'm Brotherhood, hehehe. But yeah, absolutely, I'm game for a lot of stuff atm and I'll def be sticking around with 'em for the forseeable future."
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)I'd like to ask if you haven't voted today, please vote."
Silrie wonders, "Quick question?"
Kinaed states to Silrie, "(Eld)Sure :)"
Leofrick claims, "I should craft a thief concept.."
Leofrick coughs.
Silrie muses, "Herbalism. I have a character who is a chandler, and I'd like her to improve upon herbalism, but then she'd have to join the physician's guild and that doesn't really fit her concept, but a lot of upper level chandlery recipes or components are high level herbalism. Would you ever consider just not making herbalism a guildskill, or is it regulated due to the lethal recipes at high levels?"
Takta claims, "(Vandagan)All chandlery components made by herbalism are sold on-grid."
Takta states, "(Vandagan)Totally doable to do chandlery without herbalism for that reason."
Kinaed says, "(Eld)We've discussed this before and wiggle waggle on if we'll remove it as a Physicians guildskill."
Temi states, "Plus there's always coordinating wih other players."
Kinaed nods at Temi.
Kinaed nods at Takta.
Margaux states, "It is the one skill that I'd like to see deguilded."
Axton says, "I just want my farm :("
Silrie states, "I've seen some of these products, and they're half a gentry's salary for one vial of oil at times."
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)I think at this time, you're best purchasing herbal components from the Physicians or from shops."
Silrie nods at Temi.
Elzenn states, "(Hillman)Perfumery is not meant to be an inexpensive skill."
Silrie says, "True."
Ariel trails off, "(I'd like to see Physicians deguilded...)"
Margaux claims to Silrie, "But you can sell the end product for 2-3 times that, from my experience."
Elzenn says, "(Hillman)And yeah, as Margaux says, it's very high return."
Bess asks, "Really? Why Ariel?"
Ariel claims, "Haha, not going to go into that unless staff feels we should discuss it."
Kinaed says to Bess, "(Eld)I think it was a joke.. :)"
Silrie cries at Ariel. Ari no love me no more and wants me out!
Silrie takes all the plants on her way out.
Kinaed states, "(Eld)Probably not enough time now, but happy for you to bring it up next OOC Chat."
Ariel states, "Hmm. Maybe I will."
Leofrick asks, "Ooor the forum?"
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)Okay everyone - thank you for coming, thank you for voting - does anyone know who Jenny is on TMC? I owe her QP."
Axton declares, "Me!"
Axton says, "Just kidding."
Takta claims, "(Vandagan)Might be Riannan, she said she had a review waiting."
Kinaed states to Takta, "(Eld)Thanks, I'll ask her."
Kinaed exclaims, "(Eld)Okay, please remember that the White Flame event is happening today! Enjoy!"
Silrie claims, "Don't die."
Margaux queries, "Immediately after, or a bit of a wait?"
Elzenn crackles her knuckles.
Kinaed says, "(Eld)Thanks so much for coming, I hope everyone has a wonderful day and great RP until we see one another again."
Kinaed glances at Elzenn, "(Eld)When is it starting?"
Tomas wonders, "Yes when/where are we gathering?"
Elzenn says to Margaux, "(Hillman)Bit of a wait, I am going to send some visn messages, let you guys assemble IC and whisk everyone away."
Kinaed nods.
Kinaed declaims, "(Eld)There will be announcements. Okay, take care!"
[Physicians] Ariel: More doctors than we can keep busy.
Margaux states to Elzenn, "Thanks boss. :)"
Kinaed prepares to trans everyone...
Elzenn says, "(Hillman)I am, pretty much all set, though, so if you guys want to start getting together, I will announce things on visn and help everyone gather."
Raymond has been transferred out by Kinaed. [OOC]
Kylar has been transferred out by Kinaed. [OOC]
Margaux has been transferred out by Kinaed. [OOC]
Nils has been transferred out by Kinaed. [OOC]
Ariel has been transferred out by Kinaed. [OOC]
Ofelia has been transferred out by Kinaed. [OOC]
Kinaed has transferred Silrie.

• Information