Log for Ooc Meeting - 1/16/2016

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Silrie

Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:34 pm

Kinaed asks, "(Eld)Today's Agenda is:
- Staff Updates
- Player Heartbeat
- Player Topics
Is there anything anyone would like to add to the agenda to make certain we discuss it today?"
Kinaed says to Silrie, "(Eld)I have you as Scribe, and I've asked Jemven to act as a backup scribe in case anything got lost with your switch."
Zaerieth is trying, to eat lunch, and doesn't need images.. nods once (OOC Emote)
Grafton says, "(Tubori)I wanted something... but I forgot.."
Kinaed has transferred Benne. [OOC]
Temi gives a stuffed toy tentacle made of plush, midnight black velvet to Benne.
Kinaed questions to Grafton, "(Eld)I can jot your name down and give you some time to think of it?"
Temi examines Misune closely momentarily.
Kinaed has transferred Lueta. [OOC]
Grafton states, "(Tubori)Please"
Silrie nods at Kinaed.
Lueta wakes and stands up.
Grafton hugs Lueta
Temi gives a stuffed toy tentacle made of plush, midnight black velvet to Misune.
Temi gives a stuffed toy tentacle made of plush, midnight black velvet to Lueta.
Shasa stops using a stuffed toy tentacle made of plush, midnight black velvet.
Kinaed says, "(Eld)Okay, if anyone else thinks of anything, please send me a tell and I'll add your topic to the agenda. I'll kick off staff updates."
Benne jams a stuffed toy tentacle made of plush, midnight black velvet in his mouth.
Temi states to Elzenn, "I'm out of tentacles. Anybody else is your turn."
Elzenn states, "(Hillman)Gotcher! Still have a bunch."
Elzenn could make a tentacle crown.
Grafton knows that Temi is a tentacle-monster (OOC Emote)
Lueta hugs her tentacle happily.
Phaidea pets her toy tentacle
Kinaed says, "(Eld)Last week, I handled a couple of policy cases and worked a bit on our 'automated jail system' specification - for anyone who hasn't read or responded to this post: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1177 <-- please do."
Kinaed says, "(Eld)Next week, I intend to finish that specification and run it past the staff and pbase."
Kinaed says, "(Eld)That's it for me - Azarial, you're up."
Elzenn holds a pair of floppy pompoms garishly colored for encouragement in her hand.
Azarial says, "(Daravi)Mostly bugs on my end. a few minor specs added in, like regnancy and bury."
Silrie likes the new bury.
Silrie says, "It's more realistic."
Azarial states, "(Daravi)I need to work out a crash in it, so i may do that on the test port when topics shift to stuff i hvae no input on"
Kinaed says, "(Eld)As there have been some extensive changes to regnancy and bury, please test them people, and bug note if you find any oddities."
Kinaed muses to Azarial, "(Eld)Do you want them to hold off testing bury then?"
Temi trails off, "Don't feel obliged to kill anybody to test burying them... but if you happened to -want- to..."
Azarial states, "(Daravi)Might have found a subtle but pervasive issue with somnii in one ragnancy bug. we'll see."
Azarial claims, "(Daravi)I think it was an imm eyeballing the mound."
Zaerieth can think, of a few people? (OOC Emote)
Azarial says, "(Daravi)Special imm ouput and all that"
Silrie claims, "I just bury dead animals. Unless people burying is different? Not that I've a mind to kill anyone."
Kinaed nods at Azarial.
Matthew grins innocently at zaerieth
Elzenn declares, "(Hillman)Kill your enemies, kill your friends! We'll make it worth your while!"
Kinaed thumb twiddles.
Kinaed questions to Azarial, "(Eld)Anything else to add?"
Dazen erects his shields.
Zaerieth eyes /dazen, inasently (OOC Emote)
Shasa does her best to look innocent.
Dazen tears up absolution letter.
Matthew says, "To zaerieth of course we know i am as innocent as a newborn baby"
Azarial belatedly remembers to vote.
Zaerieth emote pats dazen, "your safe.. for now
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)I'm guessing Az has nothing else to add - Temi, you're up."
Temi pontificates, "Okay!"
Lueta has lost link.
Lueta has reconnected.
Temi says, "After demand for livestock, I've taken a step away from updating Vavardi helpfiles to get as much in place for livestock as I can before the code updates for it."
Silrie squeals.
Temi trails off, "I can share my planned listing with you guys. Let's see..."
Temi has written a new note, Fwd: Aminals (Edited by Temi) (Edited by Temi) (Original author: Temi), on the Personal board.
Lueta says, "OMYGOSH I'D LOVE TO OWN A CHICKEN"
Silrie says, "You have Grafton. XD"
Benne applauds Silrie.
Lueta nods at Silrie appreciatively.
Temi claims, "The plan for livestock is that they'll be like plants, and if you can harvest meat from them, they'll be like a 'herd of cows' object, instead of a single cow, to mak more sense."
Temi claims, "I'm trying to have lots of options that would make sense not just on big farms, so like single cows and chickens and such for milk, eggs, but you wouldn't be able to get meat from those."
Kinaed nods solemnly.
Zaerieth says OOCly, "What skills would be used?"
Temi states, "I believe the plan is to rename butcher and make it more of a total animal thing."
Silrie flips out with excitement.
Kinaed nods at Temi.
Kinaed says, "(Eld)We do need a better name for it though."
Grafton pontificates, "(Tubori)Animal Care!"
Silrie states, "I cannot. Wait! Until this is implemented. I so plan to have a farm."
Zaerieth might just, consider a farm (OOC Emote)
Phaidea says, "Sorry, I have to go"
Benne asks, "Bees are fed smoke sticks? Can we do flowers instead?"
Kinaed says to Phaidea, "(Eld)No worries, just go down or I can retrans."
Lueta wants everyone to know that Silrie would be the cutest farmer on Urth
Elzenn waves to Phaidea.
Silrie hugs Lueta.
Phaidea stands up.
Phaidea has been transferred out by Kinaed. [OOC]
Temi says, "The feed items aren't really things you feed them, necessarily, just an object that is used up in caring for them"
Benne claims, "Gotcha."
Temi claims, "You don't really give bees flowers, they go out and buzz about and use the flwoers already there."
Silrie states, "Smoke calms bees, so you can rp it that they don't sting you to death if you cover and smoke the hives. I think. I'm no bee keeper."
Temi nods at Silrie.
Temi states, "That's my understanding of it."
Temi claims, "But anyway! That's me this week. And probably next week."
Jemven thinks of an army of bees.
Kinaed smiles.
Kinaed states to Elzenn, "(Eld)You're up. :)"
Elzenn trails off to Jemven, "(Hillman)You might have to get in line, there's a certain domain...."
Silrie thinks you should have a chance of getting stung if tending. One day. In future. XD
Elzenn pontificates, "(Hillman)Aha! Me!"
Shasa drinks cider from a cask of cider.
Lueta sniggers at Jemven's thoughts
Elzenn states, "(Hillman)Most of my time has been occupied with plotting, and I have been happily watching the volunteers and plot advances trickle in for the ongoing plot, so far thank you guys for your involvement! We're on a good track and I'll have your responses out soon, those who have contributed. Anyone not yet involved, do not despair, there is a lot planned and everyone should get a chance to contribute. Right now it probably seems to be pretty court/order-centric, but do not hesitate, if you find yourself with any tenuous connection to the happenings, to try and exploit this, all the players already in will be happy to involve more people."
Temi says, "Plus it's still escalating."
Temi grins.
Elzenn states, "(Hillman)Hahahaha, yeah it is."
Elzenn will kill everything you love.
Zaerieth shivers at /jemv's thoughts (OOC Emote)
Elzenn shakes a pair of floppy pompoms garishly colored for encouragement
high in the air, totally helping and not at all being a nuisance.
Kinaed muses to Elzenn, "(Eld)Does that wrap up our Staff Updates?"
Elzenn declares, "(Hillman)My pompom's use does not quite work in this situation. But! Do nothesitate to send me pboards or tells with questions. Outside of that, I have been devoting myself to the usual light building and questions wrangling, and that is all for me!"
Kinaed smiles.
Elzenn nods at Kinaed.
Grafton claims, "(Tubori)Ah! I remember ehat I wanted. But It's something I want to discuss witb staff-only after the ooc chat"
Kinaed muses, "(Eld)Okay, that's the Staff. Now for the Player Heartbeat - how's RP been in the last week, folks?"
Grafton says, "(Tubori)If ok."
Silrie shrugs.
Kinaed claims to Grafton, "(Eld)That's fine, but please write it down now so as not to forget it when we finally tap you afterwards. :)"
Matthew states, "Going well enough"
Kinaed says to Matthew, "(Eld)Glad to hear that."
Dazen says, "I've locked myself away to deal with mail sorting and going through boxes, sorting things, etc, so it's not been, but that's ok."
Jemven exclaims, "(Tubori)RP has been treating me well!"
Grafton states, "(Tubori)My RP was great. A lot of things done. Friends made, too"
Kinaed comforts Dazen.
Misune says, "Rp has been ok"
Kinaed claims to Grafton, "(Eld)I'm glad to hear that."
Zaerieth says OOCly, "Things are ok"
Benne says, "I'm enjoying actually building my character. Still keeping my eyes peeled for specific people to get in touch with but otherwise good."
Dazen leans on Kinaed.
Matthew grins mischeivously at zaerieth
Kinaed wonders, "(Eld)May I ask if anything has been irritating anyone lately about how the game works? Anything you'd like staff to consider?"
Grafton lies down on the ground.
Grafton visibly relaxes his muscles.
A broad smile forms on Grafton's face.
Grafton seems to be shivering with pleasure.
Grafton rises quickly.
Jemven snorts.
Grafton allows thoughts of ecstasy and wild abandom consume his mind.
Zaerieth states to Kinaed, "I'd say right now, just some moments, where things have, ben interesting but not nessessarly stuff staff needs to muck with"
Kinaed says, "(Eld)I'll go with the silence meaning that everyone is pretty content for the moment. If that changes, please don't hesitate to contact me."
Dazen questions, "I'd ask for a bit more clarification on crossover. I did read that no character can benefit another, but I've been making a huge number of mistakes. So, just in case we have any newbs here, basically crossover means, don't touch rp with one alt another has touched? Kind of like rp territory--I peed on this tree, so leave it alone?"
Kinaed nods at Zaerieth.
Kinaed nods at Dazen.
Misune chuckles "Oh I have things that have been irritating me as of late, but it's just things I have brought up before only now they are getting more frequent
Kinaed says to Dazen, "(Eld)We're revisiting that help file this week, actually."
Dazen nods at Kinaed.
Dazen says, "Thanks, Kinaed."
Kinaed states to Misune, "(Eld)Sometimes we're slow to act, but persistent complaining may help - but perhaps not in this forum. Let's touch base later."
Zaerieth says OOCly, "Yeah, that was a headake and a half"
Dazen says, "Thanks, everyone, really."
Kinaed has transferred Tomas. [OOC]
Temi claims, "The idea is that no character can benefit another, but we enact that by taking a really clear-cut approach of no interaction at all."
Elzenn gives a stuffed toy tentacle made of plush, midnight black velvet to Tomas.
Kinaed nods at Temi.
Temi says, "Sometimes it's not clear of what would be a benefit or not."
Grafton claims, "(Tubori)It's about the Manus. As you might remember, I asked to"
Kinaed nods at Temi.
Grafton says OOCly, "Void that"
Kinaed claims to Grafton, "(Eld)Oh yeah. Nod."
Dazen nods. Truly, it wasn't, and it was confusing me, hence the continual mistakes.
Grafton says OOCly, "I -hate- my keyboard"
Elzenn claims, "(Hillman)To be clear 'benefitting' is not just monetary gain or items. It can be getting in good with a character, giving yourself RP you would not have had without."
Kinaed states, "(Eld)I have to move on that. Also, we'll be opening noble apps tomorrow once we get a final view of which nobles are fully inactive and which aren't."
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)Or manipulating situations to the advantage of any character in your group."
Dazen nods.
Grafton sits down and rests.
Silrie wonders, "What're the rules about noble apps?"
Kinaed queries, "(Eld)Okay, if that's the Player Heartbeat, shall we move on to player topics?"
Kinaed finishes abruptly to Silrie, "(Eld)On the Announce Board - the title is something like 'Inactive Nobles'"
Silrie gives Kinaed a thumbs up.
Kinaed says, "(Eld)About once a year, we tend to clean out noble characters that didn't take and that their owners don't care about."
Kinaed queries, "(Eld)Grafton said he'd like to talk with me after. Misune, you sent a tell saying you had a topic - care to introduce us? :)"
Grafton says, "(Tubori)With all staff, Kinaed"
Kinaed nods at Grafton.
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)Not all staff are on, but we'll all talk with you after."
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)Er, the ones who are around."
Kinaed politely gives Misune her full attention.
Misune states, "Sorry, was in another window. Yes, I wanted to bring up having App added to a section when you create a character."
Misune will elaborate, typing it out
Misune states, "You know when you choose your starting stats and whatnot, and how it will tell you what skills you aren't able to access with said stats. I think it would be beneficial to add in what your appearance would be as well, since I've rerolled a character 3 times now trying to get the right app"
Lueta has lost link.
Lueta has reconnected.
Kinaed wonders, "(Eld)Ahh, okay. You mean when you select charisma? *nodnod*"
Misune states, "Yeah, since it's part of your stats"
Silrie trails off, "Points are kind of thin as it is..."
Shasa says, "As to the app stat, i'll tack on a question of something that confuses me when there's an opening"
Zaerieth wonders, what the point of cha even is (OOC Emote)
Kinaed claims to Shasa, "(Eld)Go ahead now? We don't have any other topics yet, and Misune's request is straight forward."
Elzenn claims, "(Hillman)They really aren't, you have to choose to have either a balanced character or a character with certain notable advantages."
Misune says, "It's a very minor thing, but it would cut back on that constant hassle of having to reroll just to get an app that fits the concept"
Lueta Is it too late to ask about some RP?
Lueta asks, "Is it too late to ask about some RP?"
Lueta says, "Well, rp policy"
Kinaed nods at Misune.
Kinaed queries to Lueta, "(Eld)Not too late at all. Mind writing down your question and going after Shasa though?"
Zaerieth sneezes loudly.
Lueta declaims, "Not at all!"
Kinaed giggles and offers Zaerieth a hankie.
Zaerieth is thankful
Shasa asks, "When you make a char, if you put your char at 40 cha, they get a base app 1, but if you put them at a higher cha, like 70, they don't get a base app 3, at least from what i've experimented with. to me, that doesn't seem congruent, and it's bothered me a good deal. why not just take charisma completely out of app? else, make base app a combination of stats like con and str as well"
Temi says, "Should be able to have a base app that starts higher."
Kinaed states, "(Eld)It used to be a combination of stats, but that had some serious negatives. Cha is the strongest stat for app, so moved to one stat."
Temi says, "I don't know what the cut-off number is though."
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)App isn't solely based on charisma, so it became a separate purchase to modify it to whatever you want."
Shasa states, "Fair enough, but my main concern is the incongruency. "
Shasa says, "Fair enough, but my main concern is the incongruency. "
Shasa states, "But if as temi says, then it's that way, then that's fine"
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)What do you mean? I don't find it terribly incongruent."
Grafton doesnt even know what incongruent means (OOC Emote)
Zaerieth has lost link.
Zaerieth has reconnected.
Temi states, "If it doesn't, that's a bug."
Zaerieth is considering murdering my internet, in a pool of blood (OOC Emote)
Dazen mutters under his breath.
Temi states, "Should be able to start as high as 4 with stats."
Azarial says, "(Daravi)I;ve run the numbers; it works fine. you can test it by playing with an npc's numbers."
Benne questions, "How's it supposed to work? What levels of base cha give you what apps?"
Shasa says, "A lower number than the norm makes me uglier than normal, but a higher normal than normal doesn't necessarily make me prettier...that doesn't really seem logical to me. but, like i said, temi says that higher charisma will make you start as a higher app"
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)I don't think we understand what you're trying to get across, Shasa - but I hope we're not making you feel uncomfortable."
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)Ahh, I see."
Kinaed nods at Shasa.
Shasa states, "So that seems the issue is a misunderstanding, so that's fair enough"
Kinaed states, "(Eld)It's spaced so that you can get to 4 with Charisma alone, and can modify to 5, or modify down."
Kinaed smiles.
Kinaed nods at Shasa.
Elzenn states, "(Hillman)I mean, beauty is supposed to be rarefied enough to merit its own category in the census. So the curve is not proportional, no."
Kinaed states, "(Eld)I'll check into the basic underlying and see where you go from 40 = ugly to X = normal"
Kinaed nods at Elzenn.
Shasa claims, "It's 50 i believe"
Elzenn states, "(Hillman)If you want to be notably pretty, you have to sacrifice something else."
Kinaed says, "(Eld)But I would think that you'd look normal or better at 70."
Silrie started at 1. But in some circumstances, it can actually support rp to get prettier as, in Sil's case, you get older and leave gawkyhood--I mean childhood behind.
Shasa claims to Elzenn, "Yeah, i realize that. that's not my point"
Temi nods.
Temi claims, "I think we're good. Probably just a misunderstanding and all is fine."
Kinaed states, "(Eld)I have a growing list of people who want to bring things up - I'm not sure what the cut offs are, but I'll double check them, and I take/agree with Shasa's point that 70 ought to be notably better than 40, and at least average."
Kinaed wonders, "(Eld)For timing purposes, though, may we turn our attention to Lueta? Lueta, would you mind introducing your topic?"
Shasa nods.
Azarial peers about intently, then chases her tails once, twice, thrice--she's gone! [OOC]
Lueta has lost link.
Lueta has reconnected.
Temi claims to Lueta, "You're up."
Temi grins at Lueta.
Lueta says, "Sorry hi"
Kinaed smiles.
Lueta claims, "Okay, I know no one likes this topic, but I want to bring it up because it's important and also no one has to change their RP if they don't want to! But it does concern the racist theme of the game. Before people jump all over me, hear me out. I have some actual ideas for possible solutions."
Grafton jumps all over Lueta (OOC Emote)
Silrie smacks Grafton.
Lueta rolls over.
Misune hadn't even noticed a problem with racism in the game until someone brought it up
Kinaed states, "(Eld)I like the topic, personally. I think racist themes are very good for TI, and our biggest struggle is to get players to stop being heros for modern values and play to the theme, as well as not pressuring one another to be "modern, 'good' people"."
Benne hasn't really seen too much of it personally.
Lueta points at Benne. "Exactly."
Lueta says, "I think that first off, there should simply be some further coding enforcing the theme. For instance, one of the first things that bothered me was that my char, w/o shoes or a hat and also being Hillish, could enter any building she wanted, no matter how fine the company usually was, or valuable the objects were inside. Historically, this strikes me as very odd."
Kinaed states, "(Eld)However, it's one of those things in player hands more than staff hands."
Misune glances at the daravi hating guard of the vellum and velvet "There is code that sorta of supports it, though mainly for daravi which is the biggest hated group in TI
Kinaed claims to Lueta, "(Eld)You can't, actually. Codewise, we do block certain areas from 'the wrong sorts'. You cannot enter the Bluebird without bribing the head staff, nobles and Reeves can't enter Southside, non-nobles get messages about theme and whatnot to enter the Palace."
Kinaed states, "(Eld)But there was a lot of push back from the pbase for us even adding those items."
Lueta states, "I also suggest that, just as it can be dangerous for gentry to walk about Southside, for they might get mugged, it should perhaps also be dangerous for Charali, Hill folk, vagabonds, etc., to be accosted by knights - or whatever our police equivalents are."
Temi states, "It's more class based than race. And most places are 'open', and we leave it up to the players to RP"
Elzenn claims, "(Hillman)There is a very real danger to playing a racist in TI, in that you will get actively shut out by the playerbase, so unfortunately, that's not something we can regulate on unless the theme decides to be enforced by the players."
Kinaed says, "(Eld)Please consider that we have a small pbase. If we segregated too harshly on class or race, we'd block people from being able to find RP partners."
Kinaed nods at Elzenn.
Shasa states, "I also think that the amount of casual racism in this game is seriously undervalued"
Shasa claims, "Seriously. it's everywhere"
Kinaed states, "(Eld)I agree with that, but I'm happy to committ to playing a racist bastard of a character."
Kinaed nods at Shasa.
Elzenn states, "(Hillman)Given our ratio to Lithmorran vs others, casual racism is pretty much the most we can get away with and that there is plenty of."
Kinaed states, "(Eld)There is a lot of that too - racism that people don't realize actually is racism."
Lueta claims, "Sure. I don't think it should be impossible for people of different classes to interact or get along, but I do think code should reflect theme."
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)I think it does at the moment, generally speaking."
Elzenn claims, "(Hillman)And also there is nothing stopping you from RPing that you aren't going to be welcome somewhere."
Elzenn says, "(Hillman)You can also enforce the theme."
Temi says, "We don't want to steal from players the fun RP of tossing that dirty stinkin' hillman out of their bar. So we keep the number of times code handles it all in check."
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)I think that's a good point/idea. It's a difficult thing to get other players to actively persecute people or to ask that of them, but you can ICly react to the world of persecution to make it real and tangible for yourself and others - and to make it clear to others that you're personally okay with that sort of RP."
Lueta has lost link.
Lueta has reconnected.
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)You may find people won't do it not because they're not willing to play theme, but because they're not willing to actually be jerks to a new player they don't know the RP tolerances of, etc."
Shasa says, "Kinky's got the right of it"
Shasa claims, "At least for me"
Temi states, "And we can keep in mind progs to do it as well, as appropriate. Though our preference is to leave as much as we can to RP of players."
Lueta has lost link.
Lueta has reconnected.
Lueta claims, "You've missed my point, I'm afraid. I said from the very start that no one actually has to change their RP. This is just gameplay."
Elzenn says, "(Hillman)The racist character can and will lose more than you; so it's a big ask when it's not a given anyone will contribute anything back to them."
Kinaed says, "(Eld)It may be appropriate for us to put some generalized coded catcalls in or something for people in the wrong area - uncomfortable stares, etc."
Temi nods at Kinaed.
Kinaed states, "(Eld)That's probably easy for us to do and not too reliant on players."
Temi claims, "Just to make it a little more felt, if that helps."
Tomas feels like he gets the uncomfortable stares whenever he enters a tavern already (OOC Emote)
Lueta muses, "What about Charali and Hillmen being stopped by knights?"
Shasa states, "If the game is coded too actively enforce this and that too far, then it absolutely -will- have the effect of forcing rp change, i think, is what i'm sort of where i'm at"
Zaerieth says OOCly, "Isn't there a pvent that says something about a knight?"
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)We can certainly make random events when you walk by a knight mob, for example - 30% chance "Kinaed gets hassled by a nearby knight.""
Kinaed states, "(Eld)Or something."
Lueta declaims, "To me it's very strange that it's so dangerous for gentry to be in Southside, but not at all for those races to be in the more wealthy parts of town - or in their own parts of town!"
Lueta nods understandingly at Shasa.
Temi says, "We've gone a little overboard on southside, to be honest, because that's what it's taken to keep players to treat it differently."
Kinaed says, "(Eld)Dangerous - not walking around per se, but we do block them from things like buying property. If you're not gentry+, you cannot have a home in North Lithmore, for example."
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)Those things are code enforced."
Elzenn states, "(Hillman)Charali are thought of as savages, but they are, in fact, accepted in some professions where they have to wander around. They can get uncomfortable stares, sure, but overcoding will create other problems. We can't entirely segregate the playerbase."
Dazen claims, "They do a good enough job of that themselves."
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)But I think we can certainly add some fluffing to give the 'feel' to our backdrop. Staff cannot really tell players how to play on TI though - that's not our role in this game. Other RP games have more hands-on staff, but not us."
Shasa says, "And i think that the idea is that if a charali has made it this far, maybe they're "the exception that proves the rule". i think that's what i usually tell myself icly anyways"
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)Anyway, I'm happy to add some fluffing to NPC mobs to give more background."
Kinaed says, "(Eld)I don't think we're ready for hard coded separation - happy with our current 'this is against theme, please note it and make sure you have a good reason to be here' stuff."
Lueta says, "One minute, trying to carefully word my next say"
Lueta has lost link.
Lueta has reconnected.
Kinaed states, "(Eld)I stand by that if you want to racist RP, particularly if you're RPing a minority, it's a good idea to RP the racism from the world, even if not the players your RPing with, specifically to show people you're up for that kind of RP."
Tomas says OOCly, "And you can always petition your local court to demand that we rply do more against those savages like making them wear identifying badges or other things"
Lueta states, "One minute, trying to word my next say carefully"
Shasa smirks to Tomas
Grafton says OOCly, "Stars on the left shoulder reading 'Charali'"
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)We have two people after you also, Lueta, so we'll probably have to move on fairly quickly if we can."
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)It's already one minute until the meeting is intented to be rolled up. :)"
Lueta states, "I'll close by saying that I think it's important to remember that when you are a victim of societal racism, the world is a much harsher and more dangerous place, and that shouldn't be undermined."
Kinaed has transferred Margaux. [OOC]
Lueta exclaims, "But You guys are the staff, and I understand your concerns. Thanks for considering mine as much as you have!"
Elzenn gives a stuffed toy tentacle made of plush, midnight black velvet to Margaux.
Kinaed smiles at Lueta.
Margaux waves.
Kinaed states, "(Eld)Okay, let's see... Tomas, you're up."
Shasa waves.
Zaerieth waves.
Dazen nods.
Kinaed says, "(Eld)I've just paged Tomas - if he doesn't answer, we'll move to Dazen."
Tomas is typing, had stuff on his fingers (OOC Emote)
Kinaed exclaims, "(Eld)Ahh, cool! Sorry :)"
Kinaed questions to Dazen, "(Eld)Please pre-type your topic/query introduction?"
Lueta has lost link.
Lueta has reconnected.
Lueta queries, "Cheese puffs?"
Tomas says, "Okay my thought was simple. Right now when creating a character you can choose to be a latent mage or not... (unless active mages are open) and I was thinking that takes away some of the fun of knowing if you are a mage or not. I think it would be cool to have the option of like the code randomly deciding if you are a latent or a not so you can just make a character and let fate decide and if you are a mage you can then play through it with genuine surprise"
Kinaed states to Tomas, "(Eld)I'd be happy to add a 'random' choice."
Lueta exclaims, ":D Cool idea!"
Kinaed says, "(Eld)Okay, let's see."
Kinaed says to Dazen, "(Eld)You're up, Dazen. :)"
Benne asks, "How would you as a player ultimately know, though?"
Tomas claims to Benne, "My thought is that you wouldn't"
Misune claims, "That would be neat"
Silrie states, "Like it."
Shasa says, "When your skin sparkles and you awaken at some point"
Kinaed states to Benne, "(Eld)If you were awakened, it would show. If you're latent, it might not."
Tomas states to Benne, "So it is a complete surprise if you get randomly awakened"
Dazen queries, "Ready?"
Kinaed nods at Dazen.
Benne claims, "I guess I'd never encountered that."
Zaerieth says OOCly, "But mages would know if you can be awakened, right?"
Misune claims, "Nope"
Kinaed shakes her head no.
Elzenn claims, "(Hillman)They'd have to try and see."
Kinaed nods at Elzenn.
Elzenn says, "(Hillman)Then have to kill you when it doesn't work."
Shasa nods at Elzenn.
Kinaed says, "(Eld)It'd be voluntary randomness though."
Misune states, "It's a massive crapshoot, hence why you don't see or hear about random awakenings"
Dazen asks, "Now?"
Kinaed nods at Dazen.
Dazen claims, "I don't know how to say this generally, and I'm going to apologize for my harshness ahead of time. But here goes, and if I'm disliked for bringing it up, well, then, that's nothing new. But it touches upon this inclusive rp thing we've been suffering with for a while now. Over various chars, I've seen hints of this. Person A only wants to play with Person B because they're on the same level icly, or Person B is denied rp just because Person A doesn't want to rp with that character specifically, whether or not Person B might actually have a valid reason. Or, worse, Person A surrounds himself or herself with the characters of ooc friends only. So if we intend on breaking up such cliquey behavior... how is that possible when, in some circumstances, it's turning into high school gone wild, TI style. We can't say, hey, Jo, try expanding your horizons a bit and include characters of people you don't know oocly. So how do we handle that when you start realizing or at least suspecting that this is what's happening? You can't actually go addressing it, and it seems like a waste to even bother trying to get closer to characters who may not want to have anything to do with you or who just view you as less because you're not chumming up oocly. Quite frankly, the suspicion alone infuriates me and makes me second guess whether or not this game is as open as it always has appeared. I get that nobles just rp with nobles unless you corner them specifically, even if I've been told they're supposed to reach out to non nobles and non gl's, but whatever. You can expect that from people who breathe power rather than air, but how are the freeman or even the gentry supposed to break through a stone wall when, at times, the only people logged on are building that stone wall. Again, I do apologize for the harshness, but I'm at a loss and when you're on an rp and xp-based game, being excluded on a double level for not being good enough icly and not being close enough oocly makes me want to throw something. I'm no saint. I've made my f"
Grafton dies (OOC Emote)
Lueta has lost link.
Lueta has reconnected.
Dazen muses, "Fair share of rp mistakes. But I'd like to think I don't shun quite that hard. This isn't every noble, gentry or gl, but it's a damn fair few. So, any suggestions?"
Misune is glad someone else brought this up as well...
Matthew is idle.
Zaerieth says OOCly, "I've tried, when I was playing a gl, to rp with everyone.. I just figured, it was part of the job"
Lueta wants to know if she is part of the problem. Also, what is the problem? She was linkkilled
Benne says OOCly, "I'll send you a tell"
Misune says, "Basically rp cliques lueta"
Matthew is no longer idle.
Matthew has returned from AFK.
Kinaed says, "(Eld)When I first came to TI, most people didn't want to be involved with me, and I got around it at first by RPing with other new players more than older players, and then I guess at some stage I was an older player. I don't think TI's pbase is necessarily cliquey in the sense of actively keeping other people out, but I do think we definitely have older players with friends that they prefer to RP with and only so much RP time."
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)Staff have codewise installed things like XP bonuses for playing with people that your character doesn't know well, and additional XP bonuses on top of that for RPing with new players."
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)But occasionally this complaint still peeks up."
Misune sighs "The same response that is given everytime this topic is brought up by a player.
Temi says, "I know that some of my characters will end up RPing primarily with friends because I don't log them in often, due to staffly stuff. And I like RP with my friends. Though also, at times I've reached out with a general invitation for a certain RP hook or something and not gotten a lot of response."
Kinaed queries to Misune, "(Eld)What is?"
Temi says, "So part of it may be to keep an eye out for those offerings and take people up on them."
Dazen wonders, "The offerings that never come now adays?"
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)I don't think we'll ever be able to make a game where people don't make friends, aren't allowed to RP with their friends, etc."
Misune says, "Your whole stance on of 'I don't think TI's pbase is necessarily cliquey' it seems it's the same thing said each and everytime with different embellishments added on"
Tomas states, "Sometimes some of us have tried to develop rp that would be more inclusive and force different groups to work together, but others who have brought this topic up before have shat on the ideas again and again so sometimes people just give up"
Kinaed queries to Misune, "(Eld)Are you cliquey?"
Misune states, "No because I actively avoid it like the plague"
Kinaed muses to Misune, "(Eld)You're part of the pbase. If I asked that same question to each player, what do you think they'd say?"
Temi states, "I don't know if there's anything currently out there reaching out, but i know there has been. And I know I've been frustrated and not wanted to do it again because of no response, at times."
Elzenn says, "(Hillman)Temi's point is a good one, you have to take RP hooks as they are offered; the fact is this is collaborative storytelling and it can't all be about us as individuals all the time. We all have to make an active effort to give back as we receive."
Shasa claims, "I'll say it: this game CAN be cliquey as all getout, but it's not intentional. the thing is that i tend to fall in with the same people ALLL the time because we always play the same kind of chars"
Zaerieth says OOCly, "I think, it is also dependant on the rp that is happening. I mean, if you are playing a heretic, your not going to rp with a noble.. or, be looked on favorably.. that's just part of it"
Kinaed nods at Elzenn.
Misune shakes head "Yes yes, I know where this is going."
Dazen states, "This really gets my ire up, so I'll only say this. Someone's dying? You can bet your ass you'll get a response because it's an ic and ooc friend. But someone else is dying or having issues? Oh, sorry, I'm busy. And even characters created for the purpose of rp still never get that purpose fulfilled and end up liquidating, so let's not talk about reaching out, court."
Kinaed claims to Misune, "(Eld)If you have answers, then share them, but nothing I'm saying is wrong."
Temi states, "I don't know about a difference in response to friends vs not. It's certainly possible. If you have ideas of what we can do, we're certainly open to it."
Margaux says to Dazen, "I don't think that that is fair to label the court guild in such a manner."
Tomas begins to descend.
Tomas leaves down.
Misune claims, "The thing is, there isn't really anything staff can do, since it comes down to players, it would just be nice for you to not dismiss it and basically claim it doesn't exist when several different players from different parts of rp are bringing it up"
Margaux says, "I make a concerted effort to RP broadly with my limited availability."
Kinaed states to Misune, "(Eld)I didn't do that."
Kinaed says to Misune, "(Eld)And it's really offensive that you come in and say that staff are denying the problem - when you yourself don't even have answers."
Kinaed says to Misune, "(Eld)I'd love to hear solutions, but not how we're not doing enough and are just in denial."
Benne says, "I've personally fallen in with the same small set of players because that's who I've found are regularly around and willing to play. They're also the people who make an active effort to connect and meet up ICly."
Misune states, "There is a difference between denying and ackowleding the issue. I can deny I'm a bit of ass or I can ackowledge it and bluntly state there isn't really anything that can be done about it"
Kinaed says, "(Eld)I should apologize. It's a long running issue with little solutions, and I think Misune and I have just rubbed each other wrong over it for a long time."
Temi states, "I think Kin was just saying we don't think there's a systemic problem that code or game design is encouraging this. Not that it never happens."
Elzenn claims, "(Hillman)No one has claimed it doesn't exist; I have actively asked in OOC meetings what people were feelings about this very subject. It's not because we don't care."
Matthew stands near zaerieth and stays out of it
Kinaed nods at Elzenn.
Benne states, "I would love to include a wider set of characters in my day-to-day playing, but I've honestly not encountered anyone else that seems to fit the bill."
Dazen says, "Look."
Kinaed states, "(Eld)For me, I'm not going to tell people not to RP with their friends. We all always actively encourage people to be open to new players and have even designed the game to provide bonuses for being open to new relationships."
Dazen says, "On the opposite note."
Zaerieth claims to Kinaed, "Are there clubs, or clickish areas, sure.. but of all the muds I've played, guess what, it happens, and it comes back to the players.. if something is inforced, that could lend to something we don't want"
Elzenn states to Dazen, "(Hillman)Also, I'm not telling you again to watch your attitude OOC."
Kinaed says, "(Eld)I'm not sure what more to do from a staff perspective, and from a player perspective, we don't have a lot of assholes who don't want to play with people."
Dazen claims, "Elzen did make a plot that, as I understand, is seeking to include everyone. This is just something I needed to get off my chest because it was simmering there."
Dazen sighs.
Dazen begins to descend.
Shasa muses, "So...any players who feel like this, why don't we get together and hunt newbies down?"
Dazen leaves down with an even, measured stride.
Misune to clarify, I was not referring to staff as an ass in my last comment, but myself, because I am, just for clarification
Shasa coughs
Kinaed says, "(Eld)I'm not sure it's entirely just newbies."
Margaux says to Shasa, "Good eating"
Shasa laughs.
Temi claims, "On the note of court, I think I do have a reach out in a plot to process today"
Lueta has lost link.
Lueta has reconnected.
Lueta tends to agree with Benne... "But I haven't been on the game very long. I get along with just about everyone pretty well? Perhaps the thing to do is to take further advantage of the tell system, make sure that people are communicating. Update your whois, make sure others know if you're a busy kind of person or not, so they don't feel cut off if you have to leave suddenly. Be polite and kind? I dunno. I have to leave now, but I'll probably be back soon! Good luck.
Lueta has lost link.
Kinaed states to Misune, "(Eld)You're not an ass, you've got good values and try to be a good person. Sometimes that just doesn't come across. :( I am sorry."
Grafton drinks cider from a cask of cider.
Misune trails off, "No.. trust me when I say I am. I'm very, very good at putting up fronts, like I actually care... but in the long run I am an ass, and I'm perfectly fien with that"
Kinaed states, "(Eld)Okay, clearly that topic got some backs up. :)"
Elzenn says to Grafton, "(Hillman)We may have to set down a cask of something stronger if you want to pass out drunk, bruv."
Kinaed states to Misune, "(Eld)I'm not in a position to argue with someone's self perception."
Margaux says, "Well, it felt like an attack, and I'm upset about it personally."
Grafton gets a cask of cider.
Temi says, "That reminds me... I forgot to post my 'looking for more' idea for plots."
Elzenn claims, "(Hillman)It was way out of line and the player has been warned before."
Kinaed claims to Margaux, "(Eld)I believe that is why Elzenn told Dazen to watch the attitude."
Margaux nods.
Kinaed says, "(Eld)Okay, I'd like to move us on to a brighter note."
Grafton declares, "(Tubori)My cat had babies!"
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)If anyone has any solutions to the 'cliquey' issue, please feel free to have a private chat with me."
Benne claims, "At the end of the day, cliques are going to happen. It's just human nature. The best response I've ever found is to make sure you, personally, are doing everything you can to include more people. If you can offer new characters something, do it. Even if it's as simple as pointing them in the right direction."
Temi declaims to Grafton, "Yay kittens!"
Elzenn points to Benne.
Shasa claims, "There is no solution that i have that won't make me sound like an -amazing- asshole"
Grafton attempted to brighten the mood (OOC Emote)
Zaerieth wants a cat, soooooooo bad (OOC Emote)
Kinaed says, "(Eld)We can have more public chats with - awesome, Grafton. :) - each other, and hopefully with some more caveats/protections around how we talk to one another, etc. It may warrant a meeting dedicated to the topic, outside of this forum."
Kinaed muses to Shasa, "(Eld)Tell me in tells later? :)"
Shasa says to Kinaed, "K"
Grafton says, "(Tubori)But cats are witches. Burning them"
Kinaed claims, "(Eld)Okay, it's 25 full minutes over the hour! So, let's close it down with a reminder to vote... please. :)"
Grafton declaims, "(Tubori)Don't forget me!"
Zaerieth states to Kinaed, "Can I talk to you as a note, about something, I'm wrestling with? not so much anyone anyone's done, just.."
Kinaed says to Grafton, "(Eld)I won't."
Elzenn claims to Grafton, "(Hillman)Luckily, this is an OOC room and your cats are safe."
Margaux trails off to Grafton, "But the moment you step outside..."
Kinaed states, "(Eld)Okay, two people wanted to speak to me after. I'll retrans (which will send everyone back), then grab one physically and the other in tells. Staff, please remain in the room."
Grafton laughs maniacally
Kinaed states, "(Eld)Thank you for coming to one of our most heated OOC Chats in... gosh, it's been awhile. "
Kinaed waves cheerfully.

• Information