Log of OOC Meeting 6/20/2015 part 1

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Tremere

Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:56 pm

Kinaed queries, "Today's Agenda is:

- Staff Updates
- Player Heartbeat
- Player Topics

Is there anything anyone would like to add to the agenda to make certain we discuss it today?"

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes claims, "If we have time, I have a player topic to bring up. It's about the format for the newspaper."

Kinaed nods at a grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes.

Galen Fairweather pontificates, "I'd like to hear from the other players if places has been getting a lot of use since they've been added!"

Kinaed states, "Sounds good."

Kinaed nods at Galen Fairweather.

Kinaed muses, "Okay, those items are noted. Anything else? :)"

Kinaed says, "Well, I guess if there is nothing else - I'll kick off the updates."

Takta claims, "I have one thing! sorry, can wait though."

Takta was distracted.

Kinaed states to Takta, "Adding you."

Kinaed says, "I'm working on Roles still, and whereas I'm pretty much done, I'm struggling with a few places where I need help."

Galen Fairweather muses, "What kind of help?"

Kinaed states, "In particular, I'm not sure how to best lay out the roles information when people look at a roll or review their own roles that they have."

Kinaed says, "Like, asking someone to format score."

Galen Fairweather queries, "Ohh, I see. What kind of information is displayed?"

Kinaed has transferred Orlando dul Cavallari. [OOC]

Kinaed trails off to Galen Fairweather, "Well, that's what I was getting to..."

Galen Fairweather trails off, "Ahah, sorry..."

Kinaed says, "If you're interested in helping me, please tell me your email. I'll BCC everyone with the file to read and review."

Kinaed says, "If you could help me come up with how to lay this out, that'd be great."

Galen Fairweather exclaims, "The tell is told!"

Takta declaims, "Email me too!"

Kinaed declaims, "If anyone else wants a sneak preview, send me a tell. I'm happy to email it out, and I really need help. Thankk you!"

Verrin Jeweler says, "Done."

Kinaed claims, "Cool, I'll send it to all of you after this chat. Thanks so much for being willing to help out."

Kinaed says, "Anyone who assists with this will get GP."

Galen Fairweather says, "I hope I can be a help! I finally got around to tweaking my prompt."

Galen Fairweather states, "So I'm TOTALLY qualified now"

Kinaed smiles.

Kinaed has transferred an obsidian-black haired woman of slight build. [OOC]

Galen Fairweather queries, "What's GP?"

Verrin Jeweler muses, "Gold pieces?"

Kinaed says, "My mis-typing QP :)"

Verrin Jeweler states, ":p"

Galen Fairweather states, "Ahh, got it, hehe"

Temi grins.

Kinaed says, "That's all for me. The changes board is mysteriously quite empty... whooo.. but it looks like we've got a lot of bug fixes this week from Az, no substantial functional additions/changes."

Albrecht says, "I would offer to give it a go, but I'm not sure if I would be of any use/help with it"

Kinaed claims to Temi, "You're up."

Kinaed says to Albrecht, "Send me a tell with your email, and I'll send it to you."

Kinaed states, "Also, folks, general feedback is welcome beyond just what I've asked for."

Temi exclaims, "Okay!"

Temi says, "Umm.. more magecrafting."

Galen Fairweather exclaims, "It'd be nice if we could lure in some fresh blood!"

Temi claims, "Looking at reducing costs more after calculating out some things."

Kinaed queries to Temi, "About how far off are we from the magecraft overhaul being completed?"

Temi claims, "Progress is slow so far, but will probably get it done this Summer."

Kinaed nods at Temi.

Temi states, "Provided I don't have too many other things come up."

Mika stumbles drunkenly out of the bushes, wearing a bear suit. [OOC]

Galen Fairweather says, "Hey, look it's, the friend, Mika,"

Kinaed exclaims, "Welcome, Mika! :)"

Galen Fairweather says, "Our friend."

Mika claims, "Hellooo i made it"

Mika has returned from AFK.

Temi states, "But that's what I've been up to."

Kinaed muses to Temi, "Takta's turn?"

Temi nods at Kinaed.

Takta claims, "I've been... busy busy busy. Helped teach our lovely new staffer all sorts of fun tricks and hijinks."

Kinaed says to Takta, "Replay"

Mika states, "Takta is my mom now"

Takta states, "We cleared out the Changes board, testing and filing a bunch of new stuff - check help news for the updates."

Kinaed claims, "Whhops"

Takta says to Mika, "You make me so proud honey"

Takta states, "Also I laid out the first 230 rooms of the sky grid."

Kinaed exclaims, "Oh, oo oo! I resolved the requests!"

Galen Fairweather pontificates, "I've been seeing them around!"

Takta says, "Out of a total estimated 300-400. Not desc'd yet, just laid out... triyng to hide exits, but missing some, so let me know if you do still see them around, via Typo board."

Takta questions, "I'm confronting several issues with the grid and would like to get some player opinions - now or later, Kin?"

Kinaed claims, "As a note - I've told Takta most shops will need to have roofs as a matter of general building standard."

Kinaed says, "Now is good."

Mika asks of Galen Fairweather, "If you see any up exits that lead to the sky grid will you let us know so we can hide them??"

Kinaed states, "It's part of the reason we have this meeting - to solicit ideas from the pbase."

Galen Fairweather declaims, "Ohh, they are supposed to be secret? I will keep an eye out, then!"

Takta states, "Only til it's desc'd."

Takta says, "So yeah! Kin's hinted at the first thing."

Misune Levona smirks deviously "All I can imagine now is some running along the roofs, falling through a skylight and ruining a dinner party."

Takta claims, "I am going to need to hook playershops onto the sky grid, which will mean (free to players) roof rooms. This -will- mean rooms have an additional vulnerability in terms of up exits, though I will only connect up exits to unlocked shop rooms - i.e., not to backrooms or suchlike."

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes says, "Absolutely. I'll be saving up QP for a chandelier prop I can swing in on."

Takta says, "Inn rooms may also have some hidden exits to/from the rooftop and sky grid. Mostly I want to see how players feel about this added level of vulnerability."

Takta states, "It will be very difficult to make a robust rooftop grid -without- using every reasonably available roof, given the empty spaces on much of the grid."

Galen Fairweather trails off, "HEY uh..."

Galen Fairweather trails off, "I live in... the attic... that's my house......."

Orlando dul Cavallari says, "100% okay with it. It's not like the z-axis doesn't exist; we've just ignored it until now."

Temi claims, "Oh, you need to have a southside roof that you fall through."

Takta grins at Temi.

Takta states, "Yeah, there's going to need to be some new code for all sorts of shenanigans before this goes in."

Takta says to Galen Fairweather, "I wouldn't put a down exit into your phome, but I might put one into the hallway."

Misune Levona taps his chin in consideration "I'm ok with it, as long as it makes reasonable sense. Will there be roof rooms for houses as well or just shops?"

Takta claims, "In fact there is a down exit into the Bear and Boar upstairs hallway."

Takta says, "Right NOW I am not planning to do phomes."

Temi states, "A different type of secret might also make sense... not a secret, but hidden unless you look up."

Takta says, "Unless someone explicitly requests to be hooked to the air grid."

An obsidian-black haired woman of slight build claims, "Probably wouldn't be comfortable for the likes of inn rooms/otherwise private and difficult-to-access locations."

Takta states, "Phomes move and change and would exponentially increase the difficulty."

Galen Fairweather states, "It would be kind of cool to be able to jump out of one of my attic windows"

Albrecht questions, "Will there be ways to reinforce those exits/entrances for the security minded?"

Takta states, "The exits would be lockable like any other exits."

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes claims, "Isn't it possible to have rooftops without indoor access? Like if you don't have windows there or something."

Takta claims to a grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes, "Yes, though I'd like to have MOST rooftops go indoor to keep the grid usable without flight."

An obsidian-black haired woman of slight build wonders, "Could we add a new 'rooftop' terrain type?"

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes wonders, "Ah, are climbing checks very difficult then?"

Takta says, "The specifics will be taken into account for each location."

An obsidian-black haired woman of slight build claims, "Then you could add in a special forage list and other goodies linked to it."

Kinaed claims, "Honestly, most cities, etc, have building codes that say homes need to have windows, etc. This is medieval, so that's probably relaxed, particularly in southside, but still."

Takta states, "I.e., if your shop is built in such a way that I can't add a roof without directly inviting access to your locked rooms, it won't happen."

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes says, "I think for us it's more about the money for actual coded windows."

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes states, "I probably don't see your vision the same! I'm imagining clotheslines and thin boards attaching certain roofs so that flight isn't necessary, but there might be some danger of falling."

Kinaed states, "One thing that might be nice is sending echoes to people below if someone's not sneaking when they're walking around on a roof, but the size of the project keeps getting bigger and bigger with all the potential doodads, so I wouldn't consider it remotely a requirement."

Takta says to a grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes, "Originally I was thinking that."

Takta claims, "But the truth of the matter is there are actually not a lot of areas with sufficient rooftop 'density' to make for full transit across the grid that way. So we'll probably need to add a command to jump sky rooms."

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes says, "Ooh. Sorry, I'm not trying to make the project more complicated either."

Takta states, "I.e., if you're on a roof, east is a sky room, east is another roof, a command to try and jump to the other roof. Things like that."

Kinaed says, "I think in some places it's okay to assume urban density."

Galen Fairweather says, "Yeah, I imagine that there's plenty of like"

Galen Fairweather claims, "VBuildings"

Kinaed says, "Like, in Southside, the enterable buildings might be a bit scarce, but there's a lot of assumed buildings that could be rooftop to rooftop"

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes claims, "There's a climber's kit you can buy, so now I'm imagining that as a way for people to move across rooftop rooms if they aren't flying."

Takta trails off, "Right, but..."

Misune Levona asks, "Will there be skyrooms that are not just roofs?"

Takta states, "The multiple levels of the grid are linked repeatedly."

Kinaed nods at Misune Levona.

Takta says, "I have to have cohesion between what's represented on the ground level and the sky level."

Kinaed muses to Takta, "We're only making it one or two layers up, right?"

Albrecht states, "I am just imagining reeve/knight training that is sort of like divergent 'come on guys, jump the roofs'"

Kinaed nods at Takta.

Verrin Jeweler asks, "Will there be layers of skyroom or just the one?"

Takta says, "So virtual roofs are going to be problematic."

Takta trails off, "MOSTLY just the one, however..."

Takta claims, "Some areas involve two layers, and some very few areas go higher."

Takta claims, "Depending on existing terrain. The mountain, for example. Harmon Tower."

Kinaed looks at a book in her hands.

Takta says, "It's... a really hard project, basically."

An obsidian-black haired woman of slight build says, "Coulndn't the tower be cut off? I would imagine common sense for any prison tower builder would be to build it away from easy entrance from entrances other than those intended."

Takta claims, "Oh, well, the difficulty isn't due to things like Harmon Tower, etc."

A small arctic fox darts past you, then pauses and grins. Nine tails flutter behind her as she stands and becomes Azarial. [OOC]

Takta states, "The difficulty is the heart of the city itself and making sure the 'layers' map onto each other."

Galen Fairweather trails off, "It's a shame that it probably can't be done procedurally..."

Mika queries, "Will there be rooftop running on road rooms or only on top of interor rooms?"

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes says, "I'm sorry I don't seem to understand! It sounds neat though."

Takta claims to Galen Fairweather, "Definitely not."

Takta questions to a grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes, "Sorry, what don't you understand?"

Takta claims to Mika, "Not on road rooms; above roads is pure sky with rooftops on either side."

Galen Fairweather trails off, "Roof-running on road rooms might be a good way to solve the 'virtual buildings' problem, but tricky to implement..."

[Reeves] Brynieve: I'm off to dinner, have fun all!

Takta states, "I think roofjump should help there, even if it's unrealistic to be able to clear most of TI's streets."

Kinaed nods at Takta.

Mika states, "Hmm yeah the problem there would be crossing the street, like, if you enter a road room from the south you'd only be able to exit south without jumping across"

An obsidian-black haired woman of slight build queries, "Make some of the over-road rooms 'bridges' where the roof on both sides come close or something is laid across or lines, etc?"

Kinaed claims, "I think roofjump, if not entirely realistic, solves a major problem and is probably a good compromise."

Takta claims, "I might add some 'bridges' here and there instead of just always sky rooms, sure."

Kinaed nods at an obsidian-black haired woman of slight build.

Takta states, "But not too many. Roofrunning in ways that gives you dramatic shortcuts should be difficult and hazardous for non-fliers."

Kinaed states, "A bit of variety in solutions would probably be fun."

Galen Fairweather asks, "I imagine a lot of this is gonna be straight dex-based checks?"

Takta claims, "We haven't yet cooked up the mechanism for it."

Takta says, "I'm imagining dex with the climbing kit helping."

An obsidian-black haired woman of slight build muses, "Could add in a skill to cater to it and general athletic/acrobatics?"

Verrin Jeweler muses, "Once finished, will the upper grid be excluded from navigation like the river is?"

Takta claims to Verrin Jeweler, "Already is, unless you can fly."

An obsidian-black haired woman of slight build questions, "Will the entrances to it be secret?"

Takta says, "The flying entrances will not be secret."

Takta claims, "Some rooftops will be hidden, some will not."

Galen Fairweather states, "Unrelated but my roommate wanted to know if you could play as a dog mage"

Misune Levona arches brow "Dog mage?"

Takta claims, "I'm not sure we have sufficient 'space' for an acrobatics/athletics skill... i.e, not enough for it to do."

Azarial declares, "'talking dog! KILL IT WITH FIRE!'"

Galen Fairweather states, "Yes, dog mage"

Galen Fairweather says, "It's like dog with a blog, but instead it's a dog with a blight on the soul"

Takta states, "Alas, no magical dogs."

Kinaed claims to Takta, "That probably needs to be changed from 'if you can fly' to 'if you are actively flying rather than just walking around with flight cast'"

Azarial claims, "No dogs as pcs."

Takta says to Kinaed, "Yeah, sorry, I think it is 'if you are actively flying'."

An obsidian-black haired woman of slight build coughs.

Galen Fairweather wonders, "Hm... what about Footwork?"

Takta states, "Anyway, I'll be continuing to talk about the sky grid at OOC meetings for weeks to come."

Takta says, "I should probably wrap it up there to let us finish."

Kinaed nods.

Kinaed says, "I've sent out the role specs."

Azarial puts an air (clothes) bag in pico, a text editor.

Kinaed queries to Azarial, "Want to update us?"

Azarial shrugs eloquently with more tail than shoulders.

Azarial states, "Bugs. woo."

Galen Fairweather says, "The bugs, many of them has been fix"

Galen Fairweather states, "I can use my bow properly now"

Azarial just returned from a last minute 'drive me to the funeral?'.

Kinaed asks, "Most excellent. How is eavesdropping progressing?"

Kinaed comforts Azarial.

Azarial says, "Slow. i kep getting crash bugs. =/"

Matthew Portsmith is idle.

Kinaed says, "Stinky."

Azarial claims, "Crash bugs always take priority over everything."

Galen Fairweather leaves the place. [Leave]

Kinaed nods at Azarial.

Matthew Portsmith is no longer idle.

Matthew Portsmith has returned from AFK.

Kinaed exclaims, "Okay, let's see... I think we're to Mika? Mika, update us!"

Galen Fairweather pulls his bow taut.
Galen Fairweather nocks an arrow in a maple shortbow adorned with leaf charms from a buckled, strapped leather quiver of fine, silvery threads.

Mika says, "Uhh haha i, uhhh, spent all yesterday working on the slippery dolphin and got not much else done"

Galen Fairweather states, "Is it bad form to shoot mika"

Misune Levona arches brow "Do we want to know why you were working on the slippery dolphin?"

An obsidian-black haired woman of slight build states to Galen Fairweather, "Worse than shooting a dragon."

Orlando dul Cavallari says, "The floors were sticky."

Galen Fairweather relaxes the draw on his bow.

Mika says, "I've been learning how to do places and mobprogs and stuff, so as a result, the slippery dolphin has all new descriptions, places, and rentable rooms (for your magery)"

Kinaed claims, "On, not in :P"

Kinaed states, "Sweet."

Galen Fairweather exclaims, "The Bear and the Boar has some places now!"

Galen Fairweather says, "Thanks to friend Mika"

Kinaed says to Mika, "Awesome. :)"

Orlando dul Cavallari claims, "Mika also asked me if I wanted to be a bear in her quest. Which was, by far, the most amazing thing a staffer has ever asked me."

Mika says, "So i'm also taking tell requests for places, yeah, if you're in a public room and have an idea for a place just let me know"

Kinaed states to Orlando dul Cavallari, "I'm glad you had fun."

Mika exclaims, "I'm branching out from there and starting to place up southside but i can pop out. also you sounded bored!"

Orlando dul Cavallari states to Kinaed, "I couldn't say yes. Had to sleep. But I appreciated the offer."

Azarial claims, "Hmmm."

Azarial pulls her bow taut.
Azarial nocks an arrow in a yew and dragonbone composite longbow with a griffin leather grip from a simple leather quiver slung over the shoulder.

Azarial relaxes the draw on her bow.

Kinaed nods at Orlando dul Cavallari.

Mika claims, "Thanks for showing up to my first plot also everyone that did. i was expecting maybe 3 or 4 people to practice on, and instead i got 11, but it went well"

Kinaed beams.

Azarial stops using a simple leather quiver slung over the shoulder.

Azarial pulls her bow taut.

Misune Levona claims, "It was a fun little plot."

Azarial straps a simple leather quiver slung over the shoulder over her shoulder.

Galen Fairweather declaims, "I had fun, even if I wasn't a part of the action!"

Mika says, "Also alsooo the other thing i'm doing, if you want to let me know if you find an NPC whose APP doesnt match their shortdesc, i'm changing those"

Takta states to Mika, "Very entertaining. :D"

Mika questions, "And that... is all? i think?"

Kinaed trails off, "Cool. I think we need to move to player stuff quickly, just looking at the time..."

Kinaed claims to Mika, "Thanks a lot for all of that."

Kinaed asks, "Okay, players - heartbeat. How has RP been this week?"

Galen Fairweather exclaims, "Good, if maybe just a tiny bit stale!"

Kinaed comforts Galen Fairweather.

Kinaed asks of Galen Fairweather, "What is causing the stale bit, do you think?"

Takta says, "I need new classy friends. ;)"

Galen Fairweather states, "I think I might just be too used to all the cool action and events, hehe"

Verrin Jeweler states, "Pretty good, I accidentally took eight times the medical dose of a drug and caused an entertaining scene (at least for me). "

Kinaed grins at Verrin Jeweler.

Galen Fairweather says, "But it's also been a good while since I've met anyone new."

Galen Fairweather declaims, "At least it feels that way!"

Temi says, "I need to start up another plot again when I have a good one for folks"

Kinaed claims, "Speaking of meeting new people, can I ask everyone to please load the link at the bottom of the who list and to vote for TI? This increases our profile as a successful, liked MUD and encourages other players to join us."

Galen Fairweather pontificates, "I voted! I'll try to remember to do it more often"

Kinaed asks, "Are there any plots people would be interested in seeing?"

Kinaed is voting right now so she practices what she preaches.

Galen Fairweather declares, "We've had our fair share of action lately, so some kind of mystery or consipracy might be pretty cool!"

Misune Levona muses, "Which site does that go to exactly kinaed? I mean on the actual TI:Legacy site there are three different websites"

Kinaed wonders, "Shall we have a quick look at the City Report?"

city report
INTERNAL REPORT

Lawfulness : Ordinary
Morale : Average
Religion : Substandard
Economics : Average
Defense : Substandard
Health : Substandard
Infrastructure : Ordinary
Class Relations : Good
Race Relations : Challenged

FOREIGN RELATIONS

Farin : Good
Tubor : Ordinary
Vandago : Substandard
Vavard : Challenged
Daravi : Pathetic

RECENT SHIFTS

15 Jun 2015: Race Relations shifted from Challenged to Challenged.
15 Jun 2015: Public Health shifted from Challenged to Substandard.
15 Jun 2015: Farin shifted from Good to Good.
14 May 2015: Class Relations shifted from Good to Good.
14 May 2015: Economics shifted from Good to Average.

Orlando dul Cavallari states, "Class relations are great because everyone agrees: things are substandard."

Kinaed asks, "We may want to put up some rumors, etc, around the city report standings... that will at least make the world feel a bit real, right? Looks like we might be due for some pain from Vavard, maybe?"

Temi states, "Vavard is probably feeling rather jealous of Farin again."

Galen Fairweather says, "You mean my Vavardian wrestler alt who is commonly known as "The Pain from Vavard", right"

Kinaed nods at Temi.

Kinaed trails off, "And a lot of manufactured goods come from there..."

An obsidian-black haired woman of slight build states, "Cut off the luxury goods and Lithmore will freak."

Kinaed grins at Galen Fairweather.

Takta wonders, "Vavard might lend itself to the political players, but maybe less for most folks in the city?"

Kinaed claims, "We still need to code game-wide bonuses and negatives for where the city report sits to give people a reason to work around that stuff."

Takta claims, "We really need to get in 'decay' for city report."

Kinaed states, "I'll chat plots with staff after this meeting - we only have 15 min and several people raised their hand to talk about stuff."

An obsidian-black haired woman of slight build states to Kinaed, "I gave you a bunch of them 6 months or so ago, I think."

Kinaed wonders to a grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes, "You wanted to talk about the newspaper?"

Kinaed nods at an obsidian-black haired woman of slight build.

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes states, "Yeah. I was typing out an explanation but it's gotten really long."

Kinaed states, "We need to progress with the city council, city reports, etc. Just haven't gotten around to it."

Galen Fairweather girds himself for a paragraph.

Mika states to Takta, "Commoners -_-"

Orlando dul Cavallari says, "Corpses in the Farin quarter."

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes questions, "So the short version, I'd like to poll players: Would you rather read more in-depth reports about current events and rumors on a blog, or one specific public board in the city somewhere?"

Mika claims, "I like the idea of being able to access everything in the game proper"

Misune Levona states, "I'd place my vote for the public board somewhere, just to keep it fully in game"

Takta says, "I like blogs."

Orlando dul Cavallari claims to a grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes, "If I'm going to be reading anything that's of any substantial length, I don't want to do it in-game at all. I struggle keeping up with so many letters and board postings."

An obsidian-black haired woman of slight build says, "I'm with Mika. I like the game to be self contained."

Galen Fairweather says, "I think having it be in the game itself would be easier on our screen reader folks"

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes wonders, "So maybe both and let players decide?"

Kinaed states, "I'd prefer it be somewhere in game if it's going to be considered general IC knowledge"

Galen Fairweather says, "Plus if it's in the game, it might be easier for players to share and talk about in character"

Takta says, "Having to go to one specific room for it is the main downside to me."

Matthew Portsmith states, "I like the idea of a board in ggame"

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes says, "One of the upsides of the board was the watering hole effect, yes."

An obsidian-black haired woman of slight build muses, "Could the newspaper editor be given a board for the newspaper like the general board or the ic event board?"

Takta says, "I feel like I'm always getting caught in scenes when I didn't have time for scenes. *grin*"

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes says, "Er, for me."

Kinaed wonders, "Maybe we can set up an "OOC" board called "IC_News"?"

Takta claims, "A board like General or IC_Event would be nice."

Takta nods.

Misune Levona queries, "It could be posted on multiple boards throughout the game?"

Albrecht claims, "I like that 'ooc' board idea"

Takta states, "That way you can RP about it without having to go physically check it out."

Orlando dul Cavallari states, "Probably the best way to do it would be to use the rumor POLCA and make it accessible at certain spots."

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes claims to Misune Levona, "The only issue with that is player work, really. Stories progress so quickly that it's nearly impossible to keep a newspaper current."

Kinaed asks, "Or create it in a POLCA and have it auto added as an object spawned in several places in game. Sold at every courier, maybe?"

Misune Levona nods "Yeah, but wouldn't you run into the same issue if you had a single board as well?

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes says, "Okay! Would staff be willing to add an OOC board for the newspaper? I can request about it separate from the chat."

Takta states, "A single board would be a lot easier to upkeep than 5 or 10, admittedly."

Orlando dul Cavallari says, "Then again, I don't really see a huge distinction between a newspaper and rumors, save that the newspaper would have more authority, maybe."

Takta states, "Woot, I love the OOC board the best. :D"

Misune Levona agrees with Orlando dul Cavallari on this

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes states, "The idea is to have stories updated frequently and to archive everything into an actual paper object to be put in the Grand Library at the end of the month."

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes claims, "Or however often makes sense."

Kinaed claims, "Yes, but if it doesn't get consistent use, at least once an OOC month, I'd consider the venture a failure and remove the board."

Verrin Jeweler claims, "Hopefully the newspaper would have some form of fact checking in the news they spread."

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes nods at Verrin Jeweler.

Kinaed nods at Verrin Jeweler.

Galen Fairweather says, "I imagine the journalists would stake their reputation on their articles, so not a lot of gossip would make it in"

Galen Fairweather states, "Since it wouldn't be anonymous like rumors are"

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes claims, "Yes. I plan to use various systems already in place to promote articles but you can't really get a full story out of a rumor system. It just gets too unwieldy."

Misune Levona asks, "Would the board/newspaper be troubadour run/project?"

Takta claims, "Rumors are short, too, and a bunch of contrasting perspectives."

Takta nods at a grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes.

Kinaed claims, "I think someone should ICly be behind it and responsible for it if it's an IC thing."

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes says, "I am."

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes claims, "I'm just looking for the best way to make it palatable to the players."

Mika states, "I like the idea of having access to more substantiated rumour-like stuff, even just as a backdrop to roleplay on"

Mika states, "Like if the filthy peasants are revolting in an area of vavard or something"

Galen Fairweather declaims, "There can even be rumors ABOUT newspaper articles!"

Kinaed claims, "Happy to set up the board, will discuss it with you further in a bit."

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes declares, "Okay, thanks for your input, guys!"

Kinaed wonders to Galen Fairweather, "You wanted to talk to everyone about Places?"

Galen Fairweather claims, "Oh! Yes, yes."

Orlando dul Cavallari says, "Wouldn't you get essentially the same effect by just having like -- say, sponsored, verified tweets, so to speak -- in the rumor system? Pinned and vetted."

Kinaed claims, "I think it'd feel different than a city-wide news sheet."

Galen Fairweather claims, "I've attempted to use places in crowded scenes more than once, but nobody really went for it."

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes says, "I think it just takes a while for new systems to catch on."

Mika says, "I think it's something people will get used to as more are added"

Kinaed queries, "Is it just that people don't know how to use them, or that they're programmed badly, or something?"

Takta states, "I honestly never felt the need for places as a player."

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes states, "Also, as someone who hates feeling excluded by different languages and whispering and things like that, I'm kind of reluctant to hide away my conversation from anyone else if that makes sense."

Kinaed states, "I have, oh man are there times that I wished places were around."

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes says, "I definitely understand its usefulness in really crowded scenes though."

Takta says, "I don't want to lock people out of my RP, 95% of the time. I hate being locked out of others' RP."

Galen Fairweather finishes abruptly, "They area a bit clunky at the moment - one time I had to like, try and talk someone through how to use it, and even after they managed to join they didn't use any of the place commands"

Orlando dul Cavallari states, "It'd be really useful in crowded scenes. Especially in scenes where you're not "allowed" to talk, like mass or ceremonies or functions. You might see an uptick during those."

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes nods in agreement with Orlando dul Cavallari.

Takta claims, "To me places are useful for some very specific edge situations like whispering in huge/crowded rooms, but not if you just plan to have normal RP."

Mika states, "Also yeah i want everyone to hear my dumbass jokes and things, but i think if you're playing a sketchy character or want to discuss something quietly without being totally obvious about it, it's a good option to have"

Galen Fairweather states, "Yeah, that's where I've tried to keep the use to - situations where there's a crowd where lots of different conversations are happening."

Kinaed queries to Galen Fairweather, "What's clunky? Besides leave?"

Takta claims, "I really like having 'access' to multiple different conversations in case the people in my conversation drift off or go idle."

Orlando dul Cavallari claims, "Frankly, I wish people would use it more, because I've had people complain to me (and rightfully so) that I didn't engage them in RP, but if there are 6 people standing around, it's hard to incorporate each of them in every emote I do."

Mika questions, "I generally dont use place commands even when i'm at a place so that it will broadcast to everyone - but it was useful at the wedding when almaz was whispering to zumini because she couldnt figure out wtf was going on and i didn't want to flood out the scene? stuff like that is good"

An obsidian-black haired woman of slight build hasn't tested places, but hasn't really rped with more than 1 person at a time since the code went in.

Kinaed nods at Mika.

Galen Fairweather states, "Creating a place is a little bit inscrutable, it'd be nice if there were better examples"

Galen Fairweather says, "Like how the short / long descs should be formatted and what keywords to use"

Takta claims, "Creating should be less necessary soon, at least."

Kinaed wonders, "Okay, well... here's an alert that Places are in - please test them out and see how it goes? :)"

Takta claims, "With all public rooms gaining pre-existing places."

Galen Fairweather states, "It'd be neat if maybe you could automatically create a place just by joining someone"

Galen Fairweather says, "Even if they aren't in a place"

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes states, "My current opinion is: Places seem neat, and I might join one to help better establish where my character is in a room, but for the most part I'm going to keep talking loud enough that anyone can choose to overhear me if they want to, regardless of coded eavesdropping."

Kinaed wonders, "Wait... you have to create a place when you join an existing one?"

Albrecht states, "For most whispers/such I try and go with what makes sense of hearing them based upon the rp. But I can see how they can be useful in some rp instances. but most of the time I just go with the flow"

Verrin Jeweler claims, "It really seems location dependant, if I walk into the pub and everyone is off in their own little group and the room is otherwise silent I think I'd be far less likely to engage people, especially without the hook of hearing something in a conversation I can contribute to."

Galen Fairweather claims, "Well, you can't join a person unless they're already in a place"

Takta says to Kinaed, "No, just, you can't simply do 'join Galen'"

Takta claims, "Without specifying a place 'object'."

Galen Fairweather says, "Yeah, exactly"

Takta nods at Verrin Jeweler.

Orlando dul Cavallari trails off, "My opinion: I won't use them unless the scene is super-unwieldy, as most events are. So, here's a follow-on question then ..."

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes states, "Also, if I want to play footsies with somebody I will totally join places."

Orlando dul Cavallari wonders, "Can imms see everything happening in each place? Can STs?"

Kinaed trails off, "Oh, that should be pretty easy to fix, I think..."

Kinaed starts writing a note. (This is an OOC action)

Takta states, "Imms see everything, I think. Sts, I doubt it."

Orlando dul Cavallari says, "(They should be able to, just like they should be able to understand every language. Just sayin'.) You know how plots can get. Places would solve a LOT of the spamminess."

Galen Fairweather claims, "I think places should mostly be kept to being used when people are trying to be explicitly secretive / secluded, or in really crowded scenes where lots of conversations are happening"

Mika nods at Orlando dul Cavallari.

Galen Fairweather claims, "Like if people are just chatting in the pub, they generally won't be using jmotes"

Kinaed finishes her note.

Takta nods at Galen Fairweather.

Galen Fairweather says, "So I'm certainly not saying I'd like places to be used in EVERY scene and start to make people feel excluded"

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes asks, "So not much really needs to change from how it is right now, we just need more opportunities to use them where they're most beneficial?"

Kinaed states, "I think that exclusion is an interesting conundrum, and personally would probably prefer to be excluded unless I'm trying to find RP."

Mika says, "Im too nosy to ever want to not hear something thats going on"

Galen Fairweather wonders, "Also, a small suggestion: maybe if you're in a place, and use the 'teach' command, people can only 'listen' in on you if they're in the same place? Or eavesdropping"

Takta states to a grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes, "I agree with that. The system isn't bad. It just has limited use."

Orlando dul Cavallari nods in agreement with a grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes.

Takta states, "For masses, ceremonies, etc."

Galen Fairweather declares, "Hmm! I just got an idea"

Mika says to Galen Fairweather, "I like that idea so people stop piggybacking on my skills from across the room because im petty and bitter"

Kinaed says, "But I think it's not intrinsically a join issue, but more of how people actively engage one another. There's nothing wrong with speaking Farin to another player in a room, and having a non-Farin speaking person enter, and continuing the convo - the emote can acknowledge the player even if the words remain in Farin."

Kinaed states, "Btw, anyone mind if we extend a bit? We have people who want to talk about things we haven't gotten to."

An obsidian-black haired woman of slight build asks, "On teach, perhaps you should be able to choose, in general, who can learn from you?"

Mika claims, "I don't mind extending"

Verrin Jeweler states, "No worries here."

Orlando dul Cavallari states, "I'm just waiting to go out for drinks in an hour. Talk as long as you like."

Galen Fairweather finishes abruptly, "Like how we have commands for 'turns' and 'graphic' and such to make requests of how the RP should go - a command to suggest places be used in a scene might be nice"

Kinaed's ears prick towards Galen Fairweather's idea.

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes says, "That's fine with me."

An obsidian-black haired woman of slight build is okay to continue.

Temi says, "No rush for me"

Misune Levona chuckles to Kinaed "I need to create a character that is just a 'patriotic' lithmorran."

Albrecht says, "I've got another half hour before I have to go do stuff, so I'm good to keep going a bit"

Kinaed claims, "And maybe a command to request RP too"

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes claims, "I don't hate the idea of being specific about who you're teaching but it kind of seems to me like it's more of a common courtesy issue."

Galen Fairweather exclaims, "Yeah!! So you can have your character brooding in the corner but then OOCly broadcast you want someone to engage your character"

An obsidian-black haired woman of slight build agrees with a grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes.

Takta claims, "Seems RP more than code should solve that (except maybe place-specific teaching does make sense)"

Orlando dul Cavallari says, "You can totally do that in an ad hoc style. For instance, if you're a staffer running a plot with, I don't know, two separate parties, you could require them to use places rather than porting back and forth between the rooms."

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes states, "If you're teaching in public and someone listens in - well, you're teaching in public. But if they listen in with no RP about it, that's pretty cruddy."

Takta says, "I dunno, I think everyone owes it to others to engage if they want engagement."

Takta says, "I don't want to encourage a norm of people brooding but requesting engagement so others do the work."

Kinaed nods at Takta.

Galen Fairweather exclaims, "True!"

An obsidian-black haired woman of slight build says to a grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes, "If they listen without interacting with whatever the teacher is doing, it is actually a policy infraction."

Kinaed claims, "Generally, I think our pbase is pretty good. Reasonably courteous, actually interested in RP, etc."

Galen Fairweather declaims, "Yeah, the pbase here is great! Especially compared to my last game, whoof"

An obsidian-black haired woman of slight build states, "And if they act IC, you can call them out on it IC, I guess."

Kinaed claims, "But we all have bad days or get impacted with needing to go somewhere and being unable to stick around, or being in a scene where something is a high priority, so taking care of someone else's RP needs becomes lower on the totem pole."

Kinaed says, "My general view is that there's nothing wrong with the pbase, it's level of inclusiveness is generally high."

Kinaed claims to Galen Fairweather, "I'm glad to hear that, particularly since I've only medium experience with other games' pbases."

Galen Fairweather says, "I do definitely want to avoid getting into a pattern where roleplay is heavily OOC regulated and planned"

Kinaed has transferred Zaerieth Silverclaw. [OOC]

Galen Fairweather claims, "The spontaneity is extremely important to me"

An obsidian-black haired woman of slight build agrees with Galen Fairweather.

Kinaed questions to Takta, "You said you wanted to discuss something with me?"

Kinaed asks, "Er, the group?"

Takta says, "Hah, yes."

Zaerieth Silverclaw claims, "Heya"

Kinaed has transferred a bulky, jade-eyed man. [OOC]

Takta claims, "Nothing big, just - I think maybe we should get rid of improvised for simplification, given the difficulty of finding workable improvised weaponry and the difficulty of training the skill. If we want to keep the idea, we can create a command to generate improvised weapons that resemble a type - a chair leg as a mage, a broken bottle as a dagger, etc."

Galen Fairweather states, "BURN THE CHAIR LEG"

Takta states, "The other specific uses of improvised seem better handled by other skills - unarmed for drug application, throwing for throwing weird-ass items just at a penalty."

Mika claims, "Iii really like the idea of generating improvised weapons"

Takta states, "This is just restating a forum post here to be sure it gets some love."

Takta grins.

Albrecht says, "Yeah I think getting rid of improvised is good. turn it into a command for improvised versions of a weapon that do reduced damage and break quickly"

Orlando dul Cavallari says, "I have no idea why improvised isn't just a function of strength, dexterity, and luck. It shouldn't -really- be a skill. I LOVE improvised -- I remember knocking someone out, literally, using a beer stein once -- but the skill is kinda eh."

Takta nods at Orlando dul Cavallari.

Galen Fairweather says, "Yeah, it definitely seems like something that wouldn't be a skill you'd practice unless you were Jackie Chan"

Mika claims, "Which i am"

Takta claims, "It isn't very justifiable as a full-out skill to me, yeah. Just make it work like the weapon it most closely resembles but at a penalty."

Misune Levona ponders this "I don't I've personally ever seen anyone actually use improvised in the... 2 and half-years I've been playing.

Orlando dul Cavallari claims, "Frankly, if the barrier to entry in using cool improvised weapons were lower, maybe people would use 'em more. It's literally impossible to train."

Kinaed says, "I was thinking on that one that we'd remove it as a skill and just have it average off your general martial prowess."

Orlando dul Cavallari states, "I have it at 36, but - because chargen."

Verrin Jeweler says, "It also covers too wide a group I think, I can practice hitting someone with a bear stein for days and then suddenly I've mastered the art of beating somebody with a table."

Albrecht claims, "One of my favorite tabletop games ever is seventh sea and it had a functionality like that with if you need an improvised weapon for story purposes there would almost always be one handy. it wouldn't be overpowered, but the old, grab the candleabra/mop and away you go"

Takta claims to Kinaed, "Works for me too. Just as-is it is weird and a little pointless."

Takta states, "I have to go! Thanks for comments everyone. :D"

Takta has gone AFK.

Galen Fairweather declaims, "Being able to generate an improvised weapon on the fly would be keen!"

Matthew Portsmith is idle.

Kinaed states, "Okay, so - that covers most of player topics."

Galen Fairweather exclaims, "I have a suggestion!"

Kinaed asks of Galen Fairweather, "Yes? :)"

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes trails off, "I've never had a problem with improvised weapons breaking before, but I specifically bought an improvised weapon so maybe it had better durability..."

Orlando dul Cavallari trails off, "Also..."

A bulky, jade-eyed man asks, "I want to... rule the Urth?"

Galen Fairweather states, "It'd be neat if there was a command you could use on a player that'd remind you the proper etiquette to use around them, like what title to use, etc"

Orlando dul Cavallari states, "I can't use my flagon of ale as an improvised weapon? Was the code changed? Nothing in my inv is working as improvised."

Kinaed says, "Copying that one down."

Kinaed says to Orlando dul Cavallari, "Htat sounds like a bug."

Orlando dul Cavallari says, "It might be because of THIS room. Let me check when I get back."

Orlando dul Cavallari claims, "I get "it's too small" and also "You cannot wear that here.""

Galen Fairweather claims, "I often find myself pulling up big long helpfiles trying to find proper terms of address and titles to use and such, and sometimes I just have to wing it to keep from dragging the RP on"

Matthew Portsmith is no longer idle.

Matthew Portsmith has returned from AFK.

Galen Fairweather says, "So it'd be cool to just run a command on someone and just pull up a little list tailored to that person"

Misune Levona wonders, "Could always do something as simple as just ask in an osay 'Hey what is the proper title for ya?' "

Kinaed claims, "It could be added to the roles spec."

Verrin Jeweler claims, "How would you obtain knowledge of that though? If a noble, for whatever reason wanted to dress plain and not be known as a noble that command would kill it for them."

Zaerieth Silverclaw says OOCly, "I've a question?"

Galen Fairweather wonders, "Maybe it could even tie into City Lore somehow? If that's necessary"

Mika nods at Verrin Jeweler.

Albrecht states, "Oh I do like adding more functionality to city lore"

Albrecht claims, "That would be a very cool easy way to check"

Kinaed claims to Verrin Jeweler, "I think that's a good point. I'll have to think about it."

Galen Fairweather trails off to Misune Levona, "I'd hate to put the burden on other people to have to explain to me! Even if it is a simple request..."

Kinaed wonders, "From a game perspective, folks, is there anything you guys find irritating that we need to resolve, or anything you just wish was different?"

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes says, "You can also make notes in remember notes which are not as fussy as cnotes."

Mika questions, "I think we were talking a little bit about expanding the disguise system someday to hide coded class? but that would be a ways off"

Verrin Jeweler states, "Would it be possible to have whois work on remembered? As it is currently if someone is whoinvis and gives you a fake name you have no way of looking up their schedule."

Galen Fairweather declaims, "I have a minor suggestion about pooling and crafting!"

Misune Levona says to Galen Fairweather, "Most don't mind answering simple things like that though"

Kinaed says to Verrin Jeweler, "Possibly, noting that."

Galen Fairweather declares to Misune Levona, "Okay, I'll keep that in mind next time I'm unsure!"

Kinaed asks of Galen Fairweather, "Yes? :)"

Albrecht claims, "My remember list is all kinds of hell. It's not alphebatized and that makes finding people's descs very very difficult. It's gotten to be so annoying I don't look at it anymore"

Galen Fairweather says, "Anyway, I'd like it if you always got pool from failing to make something, even if it's a recipe that wouldn't pool for you"

Kinaed trails off, "Not alphabetized? Mine is..."

Misune Levona muses, "It should pool for you shouldn't it?"

Azarial states, "The system was exprssly designed against that."

Albrecht says to Kinaed, "Mine is all random and jumbled up"

Zaerieth Silverclaw says OOCly, "Question, anyone send apps for cardenal?"

Azarial claims, "And if it won;t pool....you on;t fail."

Galen Fairweather exclaims, "I've failed on recipes that don't pool for me before!"

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes queries to Albrecht, "I'm not sure what you mean? Can you not do remember <name> and pull up their intro?"

A grey-eyed Vavardi woman with long dark eyelashes trails off, "Not in the OOC room but..."

Misune Levona claims, "It would be nice if remember lists were alphabetical"

(Continued in part 2)

• Information