Log of OOC Meeting - 2020/09/26

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Sparkles

Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:42 am

Kinaed states, "A reminder of the OOC Chat Pact: Regardless of what we discuss, we understand and truly believe that everyone on TI does the best they can, given what they know at the time, their skills and abilities, the resources available, and the situation at hand. We will be respectful of this and each other at all times."

Kinaed says, "Today's Agenda is:

- Staff Updates
- Player Heartbeat
- Player Topics

Is there anything anyone would like to add to the agenda to make certain we discuss it today? If you register a topic, please pre-write it so you're ready to present it when called upon."

Kuzco says, "I guess I do."

Kinaed states to Kuzco, "Okay, putting you down."

Kinaed wonders, "Anyone else?"

Kinaed states, "Only one? Okay, let's kick off today's agenda."

Kinaed claims, "Last week I handled a small amount of policy. I still have Turf Wars on my desk, and that's about it."

Kinaed questions to Temi, "Az is afk - why don't you go next?"

Temi declares, "Okay!"

Temi states, "So I saw to killing off Roland and some updates on the fall-out from the Vandagan crisis."

Kinaed nods at Temi.

Temi says, "Planning on closing that plot shortly, so if you still have odds and ends you want to pursue on it, file those plots soon."

Cat says, "I have a topic for later."

Temi says, "Beyond that, I wrote a couple of specs for staff to review that help address the issues of retainer hunting stuff and indecent flagging items."

Temi says, "I will be remote for a couple weeks starting tomorrow, so will be less available, but shouldn't be completely gone."

Temi nods at Kinaed.

Kuzco states, "Thanks for your volunteer work, T"

GloryToTheBolt claims, "So hype for indecency"

Kinaed wonders, "Sorry, something's come up in parallel to this - Temi can you take the wheel for ... 10 min or so?"

Temi questions, "Sure. Az can you give us your update?"

Azarial states, "I've adjusted how butcher handles its rolls; it should be a bit more reaosnable on its output now."

Kinaed has gone AFK.

Violet declares, "Yay!"

Temi pontificates, "Okay, thanks! I'm sure people will be happy to see the butcher updates"

Violet says, "Thank you, Az"

GloryToTheBolt declares, "Yey!"

Temi trails off, "Taking a look at the change reports..."

Temi claims, "I think other things have just been small fixes."

Temi wonders, "Okay, Ilena?"

Ilena wonders, "Hello! I've been handling typo boards, requests board and lists, though, gosh, I've gotta go over them for today! I've got a few things queued and I haven't forgotten about things brought up on previous weeks, and am learning more! I got to learn more about the asset system and more tools, (Thank you Temi!) and help out a player on that front, which was interesting and cool! (If you want to thank me for most things thank Temi, she's the one teaching me!)

Something I might want to bring up is that I feel bad about suggestions being posted to requests and it being difficult to get a good reply; Is anyone opposed to having suggestions cross posted to the forums, maybe anonymously on request, so other players can look over them?"

Temi nods.

GloryToTheBolt states, "I like that"

Temi claims, "We cannot handle idea suggestions on the request board"

Temi states, "Please do not post them there"

Temi says, "Forums is good, or if you want to request bringing up a pre-submitted topic for the OOC chat"

Sparkles queries, "Do we have a regular ETA about a yea or nay on things posted to the Ideas forum?"

Temi claims, "Nope"

Ilena states, "It makes me sad and feel like I'm failing someone when I see them, and it's not your fault guys! :,( It's just not something I can do or help with! I am going to start asking players more often if they're good with me noting down or crossposting suggestions."

Temi claims, "Niamh processes forum posts regularly for us and stacks up a list to handle when we have time at staff chats"

Kuzco says, "A good suggestion. I'll pboard it."

Temi claims, "But we handle the staff discussion points before the forum ideas"

Temi says, "So it depends on how much other stuff stacks up"

Temi states, "And when we have issues with catching up, it can last longer."

Temi says, "Definitely not ignored, though."

Kuzco nods.

Temi asks, "Alright then! Player heartbeat. How's everything been this week, folks?"

NotNaomi claims, "Mostly good, some odd"

Kuzco states, "I'm playing less so I'm in a more supportive role. Still it seems the campaign and Magebane have brought much RP."

GloryToTheBolt says, "Meh. Magebane and Yule are too close so it's stress,"

Errisar states, "Same as Not Naomi."

Apathy claims, "Pretty good, definitely have been enjoying it."

Sparkles says, "I admit I've been feeling a bit, hmm, demotivated this week."

Kuzco states, "Also Roland's execution was slick and horrible."

NotNaomi claims, "Magebane, Yule and then Spring Faire are way too close together :P"

Deedee claims, "Didn't have much time to scene this week, hope no one's missing me too much"

Temi declaims to Kuzco, "Hopefully in all the best ways!"

Yinadele claims, "I had to focus on work unfortunately this week, but I'm hoping to get an event plot for players headed your way Temi."

Kinaed has returned from AFK.

NotNaomi declares, "The execution was neat, yeah!"

Cat states, "I had lots of good scenes and lots of sitting around hunting people to rp with. Magebane was good."

Apathy states, "Yeah loved the execution."

Kinaed says, "I'm semi-here, but if Temi can continue to run the chat agenda, I'd appreciate it."

Kalana states, "Things have seemed a little slower, but what I've had has been good"

Kuzco queries, "All the best ways. I loved every PART of it... get it? Eh? Ehh?"

Anonymous states, "I have been sneaky sneaky."

Temi states to Kinaed, "I didn't get the list of topic people"

GloryToTheBolt says, "Yea also a little demotivated but that might be the normal phases"

Kuzco says, "Me and Cat I think"

Kinaed claims to Temi, "Will share on Staff."

Temi nods.

Temi questions, "Okay, anything bothering folks that staff ought to know about, besides player topics?"

Kuzco states, "Hmmm"

Kuzco says, "Mildly concerned about player conflictivity."

Temi asks of Kuzco, "How so?"

Kinaed cocks her head to listen to Kuzco.

Kuzco claims, "IC conflicts that smell of OOC."

NotNaomi says, "I feel that, too."

Kuzco claims, "And they make everyone tired and grumpy"

NotNaomi nods.

Temi nods.

Kuzco states, "Please remember we're here to have fun. Fun. Good drama. Collective storytelling."

Errisar nods.

Temi asks, "In general, or specific conflicts/specific people?"

Kuzco states, "It's Among Us except the mage is the impostor."

Kuzco states, "Specifics that are quite a few and so they seem a bit generalish"

Kuzco says, "I mean I'm sure everyone agrees with me but not many are willing to voice it"

Temi nods.

Kuzco rakes a hand through his hair, "All done here.

Kinaed comforts Kuzco.

GloryToTheBolt says, "Imagine if a big text in the clouds said "xyz was not a mage" after a pyring though"

Temi asks, "Just something to keep an eye on and remind people not to bring things from OOC? Or is there something we should be doing?"

Kinaed says, "I have seen non-mages pyred. :)"

Kuzco says, "Burn them and let the Springs sort them out"

Deedee claims, "There is a way to tell after the fact"

Temi grins.

Deedee says, "So yeah, that works"

Kuzco claims to Temi, "Not sure. For now: cool off, guys. Direct your rage into constructive stuff."

NotNaomi states, "To be honest, the incident(s) I have in mind re: Kuzco's subject is a recurring one with a specific player."

Temi says, "Alright, keep an eye on it and let us know if that shifts."

Kuzco states, "I started boxing years ago out of hatred for my boss. Good exercise."

Kuzco nods at Temi.

Temi asks of Kuzco, "Was that your topic or did you have your topic still?"

Kuzco queries, "Nah. Should I?"

Temi claims, "Go ahead"

Temi nods.

Kuzco rambles, "I guess I'd like to, politely and sportsmanly, throw some light at the fact a player is winning a bid by virtue of being noble, without dropping a single bid Event, against someone with many big events and a lot of support. Now, it's the current rules, Cass is earning their victory and that's excellent -- but it makes me wonder the wisdom of even competing against a noble at all, unless you can prove their are a criminal or mage. When I lost to Kirill, on the other hand, he had a vast support network and he squished me like a bug. And it was fair and well executed."

"To make it clear I am not contesting this election at all, rather asking for collective, constructive and respectful opinions moving forward."

Kuzco states, "Now I wonder if i should have been more nuanced in that text."

Temi questions, "I think we get the idea. How are folks feeling about it in general?"

Apathy states, "It seems pretty ridiculously unbalanced."

Anonymous says, "No, I was considering saying something like that too. Except... less nuanced. I agree with that; as far as I know, the noble in question has ONE supporter (who I won't name), and is still somehow ahead of an opponent who has a huge amount of support and multiple events."

Deedee claims, "I think it's supposed to be unbalanced. I like it"

Violet states, "I think I likely ought to recuse myself from discussion, but I do admit to feeling frustrated."

NotNaomi claims, "I think it's really heavily unbalanced as well."

Anonymous claims, "Now I get the whole 'is a noble so has privilege' thing... but it seems extreme even for that."

Kuzco states, "It's supposed to be unbalanced. But it does seem unsurmounable."

Temi nods.

Apathy claims, "Especially since said noble is also a newcomer who hasn't even established herself besides negative press."

Sparkles claims, "That it makes the idea of RPing about the election or doing politics feel a bit moot, that I spent hours this week RPing about it, and IDK I ponder if I could have better spent that time if it was moot."

Kuzco states, "That's not accurate, Apathy"

Errisar claims, "I feel pretty powerless to affect the situation despite my best effort. I'm not knocking Cass or her player, but yeah."

Apathy states, "As seen from my end."

Temi nods.

Sparkles queries, "Also I question if that code was always as strong as otherwise, how did Veilus win against Farra?"

Kuzco states, "Cass is good and is doing her game smartly, of course, it's not about her <3"

Deedee states, "I'm also not certain we're seeing all that's going on"

Kuzco nods.

Kuzco states, "Maybe everyone is secretly working for Cass."

Temi states, "Staff do have on our list to discuss the balance, though I don't think we'd want to adjust things, if we decided to, to a way that would decide who wins or doesn't know that we know what the choices are."

Kuzco says, "E V E R Y O N E"

Kinaed says, "So, I am aware that we have the first time a situation where the popular "vote" would probably go to the gentry person, but politically speaking that is not thematic and therefore, yes the underlying values of the system do strongly favor social class. There are other mitigating factors to consider, and it is possible for staff to select another winner if we want to that code might not. However."

Kuzco says, "Sure. I'm good with an unfair system. I do think competing against a noble now seems a bit pointless. Save if you can have them disqualified."

Deedee claims, "The King can choose in the end regardless *nods*"

Kinaed says, "There are a lot of ways to handle this, and disqualification is only one of them."

Temi queries, "Ideally, how would people like to see it balanced?"

Proxy says, "I will bring up one thing about this - unrelated to the entire balance question. Please be careful with wording when writing up IC events."

Kinaed says, "But I stress - this is not nor was it ever built to be - a vote. It is a bid for the role of Seneschal, right hand to the king."

Temi questions to Proxy, "Is that more to players or staff?"

Sparkles says, "I think it's more that there's nowhere that's noted in the system."

Kuzco claims, "Yeah it's good to remember it's not an election."

Proxy says, "I think both, because I've seen an IC event posted that spoke for a faction and kind of claimed some... unthematic stuff."

Proxy claims, "Like Seneschal being responsible for religious duties, which they aren't."

Temi nods.

Sparkles claims, "Not popular and not thematic aren't always the same though, just as a note though not about that specifically."

Kuzco exclaims, "I recall my Norrig corsages said 'Vote for Norrig!' and I had to change them to 'Support Norrig!'"

Apathy says, "I can see how being noble should give an advantage, but not one that makes it near unsurmountable within that particular framework."

Temi says, "Yeah, staff should be careful about sending out athematic things."

Temi states, "We do try to review for that."

Kuzco says, "(man i flooded the game with those corsages)"

Temi says, "That particular item might be more read that it's everyone's job to be good Davites and supporters of the church."

Temi states, "Church and law are separate, but the law is not divorced from religious influence and expectations."

Cat says, "It does feel a little frustrating to see the bid not moving or swaying even a little bit."

Anonymous states, "I think the general feel is that noble privilege is too high now, when a lot, and I do mean a LOT of IP is used on events and it makes no visible impact at all"

NotNaomi claims, "All the bids may not be tallied yet >.>"

Kinaed says, "I don't see anywhere in HELP BIDS that says it's a vote, and I know we've hammered it a few times that it's not - afterall, a bid influence event clearly doesn't align with voting - but I will adjust the help file to be more clear in that regard."

Kuzco says, "It'd help."

Kuzco says, "Remember this is not a democracy"

GloryToTheBolt asks, "I wonder if a more detailed thing than just who's the leader would help - to see by how much they are in a lead?"

GloryToTheBolt says, "So you could see progress."

Kuzco states, "Maybe bards could"

Anonymous claims, "It might not be a democracy, but influence still should count. Otherwise, what's the point of having the bid system at all? Just have staff puppet the King and pick someone."

Kuzco says, "What Kin means is that someone backed by no one is still entitled to win if they play their cards right"

Kuzco claims, "Or have birth right lol"

Sparkles states, "It does make it feel that running projects would be a better use of the IP, yes."

Kuzco nods.

Kuzco states, "Yeah true"

Kuzco joins his palms and bows, "Anyhow. That's my two silvers."

Temi nods.

Temi questions, "Okay. Anyone else have anything to add on the topic?"

Kuzco states, "Thanks for listening and chiming in."

Kinaed says, "We appreciate your feedback."

Kuzco states, "I appreciate your appreciation"

Violet states, "Mad respect to everyone who's been influencing the bid cycle, both overtly and/or behind the curtains <3"

Kuzco asks, "Cat?"

Cat states, "So we made some cool cloak clasps for Magebane to wear above the costume cloak. When wearing them we noticed that that won't work, because when you are cloaked it will be hidden, since brooches are on the torso wear slot. I wanted to ask if it would be possible to add a slot for wearing brooches or the like on the cloaks outside."

Kuzco states, "Good idea"

Temi questions, "Are you looking for on the outside of a closed cloak, or a concealed cloak?"

Errisar declaims, "That would be awesome!"

Violet declares, "Ooh. I would love a cloak clasp slot. More commissions for smiths!"

Anonymous states, "I think they mean something that would show even when cloak conceal is used."

Anonymous states, "Since the brooch would logically be affixed to the outside of the cloak"

Deedee says, "Perhaps similar to the indecent flag, it would be nice if you could flag something as visible when cloaked"

Kinaed states, "For the record, Staff will add and discuss this in our Staff Meeting today, and will report on the results."

Kuzco nods.

GloryToTheBolt states, "This way you could decide to have a signifier via your brooch but still stay anon"

Errisar nods.

Temi questions to Kinaed, "On the brooch discussion, or back on seneschal bids?"

Kinaed states, "Seneschal bids, sorry :)"

Temi nods.

Kinaed says, "Brooches... wha? Semi distracted OOC w/partner."

Temi claims to Kinaed, "Players are suggesting a wear slot for cloak brooches that shows up even when someone is cloak concealed"

Sparkles asks, "Maybe part of that spec for decency could be an option for an item to show even when cloaked?"

Kinaed claims to Temi, "I can't follow... will wait back at home base."

Kinaed wishes everyone a fantastic week! Thanks for OOC Chat!

Kinaed sinks into her own shadow and disappears. [OOC]

Ilena waves.

Deedee says, "I think that would offer the best flexibility"

Temi muses to Azarial, "Any idea how difficult code would be to have a slot always show?"

Azarial claims, "Hard to say right off hand; i've not looked at that code in ages"

Temi nods.

Temi states, "Well, staff will discuss that idea as well then."

Temi queries, "Did anyone have any other topics or things they wanted to bring up?"

Sparkles says, "I have something real quick if there's time."

Kuzco peers at Sparkles.

Temi wonders, "Sure, what's up?"

Sparkles claims, "I asked before about getting mail at phomes, but I realize a simpler and perhaps more directed question would be ... any thoughts on adding a courier spot a bit closer to the noble estates? That would be many helps."

GloryToTheBolt says OOCly, "Humble brag"

Deedee states, "Seems reasonable. I think you can also give mail access to a lackey to check mail for you"

Temi claims, "Hm, that's probably more likely, though we do want to encourage nobles to come out of their more exclusive areas."

Temi muses, "How close would you expect it to be?"

Anonymous claims, "Of course, I mean, how else are we going to ambush and kill the- I mean shower them with compliments and gifts"

Anonymous claims, "That was a joke. In case that wasn't clear."

Deedee claims, "Hats and lights are visible"

Sparkles states, "I mean, you put it in a side room off the Stag for example that's a public space people still could find you."

Deedee says, "But not when concealed"

Temi says, "The Court Malenta does work now, and that's within travel range of all of the noble estates, I think."

Kuzco says, "True"

Sparkles states, "Travel range depending on stats I think, maybe, sometimes me and travel have relationship problems."

Temi wonders, "Does that handle the issue, or it would need to be something even closer?"

Yinadele muses, "I've almost never been to the Stag, and isn't the palace closed off for non-nobles?"

Yinadele claims, "I think one at the Stag to make people RP there at some time might be cool."

Deedee says, "Palace isn't closed off, but does have a xblock you need to submit to"

Temi nods at Deedee.

Deedee claims, "Would need to state your business in a cnote too"

Yinadele claims, "I've never been much north of the city, so that's helpful info"

Yinadele nods.

Sparkles says, "You also can't leave it via carriage if you get invite."

Sparkles says, "So it creates possible RP barriers for other RP partners."

Kuzco claims, "I mean... you plebs can't."

Yinadele says, "Yeah, the Stag might be a better place."

Anonymous trails off, "I've never explored the palace. At least... not normally"

Temi states, "I've wondered if the stag doesn't need a travelable name."

Kuzco polishes his nails against his coat

Kuzco says, "No because it's a portal"

Temi claims, "I think it's not used much because you can't travel to it."

Kuzco says, "It's off grid"

Temi nods at Kuzco.

Deedee nods.

Sparkles says, "You can travel there with the carriages"

Kuzco claims, "Oh right lol"

Kuzco says, "You can travel to 'The Roads Meet'"

Temi says, "Maybe change the name out front to be the aureate stag or such."

Sparkles says, "'In Front of the Aureate Stag'"

Sparkles says, "Or something like this."

Temi nods.

Temi says, "Something like that."

Deedee says, "Or can add a fork and put it on the end"

Temi claims, "But anyway, staff will discuss a courier a bit closer there."

Temi wonders, "Any other last minute shout outs?"

Ilena pontificates, "Sure!!! Last minute shoutout: Everyone is cool and I hope you all have a great next week!"

Ilena states, "(I think we're good.)"

GloryToTheBolt pontificates, "You staff are real cool too thank you for your work!"

Temi declares, "Okay! Sending folks back"

• Information