Log of OOC Meeting - 2019-04-20

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Taunya

Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:18 pm

Temi asks, "So, our agenda for today is as per normal. 1) staff updates, 2)  player heartbeat, 3)  player topics.  Does anyone have any topics to go on the list before we get started?"

Raspberries claims, "I've got one."

Temi nods at Raspberries.

Polytonic states, ""I've got a question too.""

Temi muses, "Anyone else?"

Kuzco claims, "Nada this week."

Temi nods at Polytonic.

Ikeala says, "I have a topic though it's more asking folks for ideas."

Temi nods.

Temi says, "Okay, got Raspberries, Polytonic and Ikeala."

Empire claims, "I had a topic and forgot it 2 days after."

Temi exclaims, "If anyone else comes up with anything, feel free to let me know.  Or if you remember it!"

Empire states, "Eh. Next week."

Temi claims, "Getting started then with my update... I was out of town last weekend, so accomplished less, and most of what I did was handling plots, including some more involved ones.  And I'll be needing to get some more set-up done for the first of our suitor visits coming up."

Temi asks, "Az, do you have an update for us?"

Azarial states, "I've cleared a few crashes and a number of smaller items.  nothing too amazing."

Temi nods.

Temi trails off, "Taking a look at the changes board..."

Temi claims, "I'm not really seeing anything too exciting.  Mostly typos, as Az said."

Temi says, "Okay, then, so that seems like staff!  I know Niamh's been doing building stuff, and Kin's just getting back from vacation."

Temi queries, "Alright then.  Player heartbeat... how's RP been this week folks?"

Empire declares, "Deep, fun. Things have been good!"

Raspberries exclaims, "A little quiet, but good!"

Polytonic claims, "I had a lot of fun."

Ikeala pontificates, "I've had some interesting scenes. Thanks for everyone who has put up with me!"

Kuzco states, "RP was good. Incentivising others to get out of their comfort zone."

Elizabethany claims, "I've barely been in to get RP, I'm afraid"

Kitty states, "For the most part, pretty good."

Elizabethany exclaims, "But hopefully today!"

Temi claims, "Sounds pretty positive in general.  Anything bothering anyone that staff ought to know about?  Besides topics on the list."

Kuzco claims, "Nope"

Scotty pontificates, "Belatedly, Rp has been awesome! If you have been around one of my characters, it has been... interesting!"

Polytonic states, "I have noticed again how hard it is to find rp when it does not come to you. It hopefully came to me, but only after a week of useless efforts."

Empire states, "I have had too much RP come my way."

Scotty says to Polytonic, "Sometimes, you just have to sit in a bar, and wait. "

Empire states, "Both are difficult to work with."

Temi questions, "How do you mean?  You're having trouble finding other people on the grid?"

Temi has transferred Brando.  [OOC]

Temi gives a pyre-shaped candle with a victim secured to it face-first to Brando.

Polytonic states, "Finding people may be hard, finding people with whom you actually manage to create something interesting is harder. It depends on timezone, character interests, etc. Once you're a bit set up, things are much easier."

Temi states, "Yeah, we're aware of that.  That's part of why cyan applies across all characters."

Raspberries cants head. "Applies across all characters?"

Temi nods.

Temi claims, "Instead of just the first player on the account."

Empire states, "Ohhh."

Temi claims, "First character, that is."

Raspberries says, "Ah, right. Saying it applied across all sounded like you'd lose it if you lost it on one"

Temi states, "Oh, no, each character has their own cyan period."

Temi asks, "Alright then... shall we move on to player topics? Raspberries, would you care to introduce us?"

Raspberries nods.

Raspberries states, "So, couple of things on prestige. I've already asked for help clearing up the system's helpfile on the typo board, but I had a couple of suggestions as well.

"

Kuzco nods.

Raspberries says, "Ooops"

Raspberries states, "Firstly, the prestige granted by tithe could be implemented better.  As it stands, no matter when you donate you lose all of the points at the monthly rollover. If you donated at noon on the 30th, you'd have the points less than a day, I suggest changing it to either follow the 1 point reduction per week like projects do, or have them clear 30 days from the time *purchased*.
Second, how about granting 1 prestige point per milestone (500 rp hours)? Seems if a character is eligible for a permanent marker, they'd be more known by court/society as well."

Temi nods.

Scotty asks, "Milestone?"

Raspberries claims, "See help milestone"

Temi states, "We can certainly think about improving that."

Temi wonders, "What do people want in general?  Should old characters be more prestigious?"

Scotty drools....

Kitty says, "I don't know about milestone, though. Just because someone has been around a long time doesn't necessarily mean court would know anything about them. Depends on what social status they are, etc."

Temi nods at Kitty.

Ikeala states, "Just because your character is long standing doesn't mean they would be socially prestigious though by social standards given things like say ... race."

Scotty wonders to Temi, "I mean, it would stand to reason, -if- they are well established. Perhaps reaching a certain number of familar checks with other characters?"

Kuzco states, "I don't know. I don't want a super old savage PC having more Court prestige than all cyan nobles."

Raspberries says, "Savage races are already exempt from prestiege if I recall"

Kitty states, "Maybe make it an... option at the milestone? I mean, my milestone notification is still sitting there because I don't know what to do with it."

Raspberries claims, "500 rp hours for a single point seems fair though. it takes 5 to even add one rank"

Raspberries states, "That's 2500 rp hours"

Empire claims, "And that's a lot of hours."

Ikeala states, "That might go back to the people picking the benefit of the code better race but RPing as something else thing."

Temi claims, "Though with just the total sum of RP, it's not necessarily RP that adds to their prestige."

Azarial claims, "And for some, spending their milestone on prestige would not change anything"

Temi claims, "They could be, well... mooning people for 500 hours."

Raspberries states, "I think that'd make you known. ;)"

Kitty says, "It would make their ass cheeks known, not necessarily them."

Brando claims, "Yeah that seems pretty fair as if your character dies .. with more than 150hrs of RP they die known and can have their diaries and books uploaded to the IMP's and IMM's if I recall correctly."

Ikeala says, "Assuming one writes one."

Temi claims, "We're always happy to receive people's writings at their death, no matter how much time they've spent on the character."

Temi says, "The amount of time is whether we write up a helpfile for them"

Raspberries muses, "I'm fine with it being an option though for milestones though. Or moving it to every 1000 rp hours. Any other thoughts on prestige?"

Brando says, "Aahhh I see . noted . Thank you."

Ikeala muses, "What is the helpfile cut off?"

Kuzco states, "I think the helpfile could certainly be cleaned and clarified"

Kitty claims, "You can get a helpfile at 500 hours."

Kuzco states, "Temi means a permanent post mortem helpfile"

Temi claims, "Looks like 150 hours of RP, or being particularly well known."

Temi says, "Ah, yes."

Ikeala muses, "I guess it's my confusion besides recognition what's the concern about folks not having enough Prestige?"

Kuzco says, "But yeah the help prestige helpfile is a bit muddy. Lots of questions."

Kuzco states, "Ikeala not much! Low prestige does nothing, high prestige brings some coded and uncoded benefits."

Temi says, "Prestige is pretty much just for bragging rights."

Raspberries nods.

Kuzco queries, "Well the coded benefits are nice, but maybe prestige could have an impact on RPA too?"

Kuzco claims, "Like, it's not just Lord Kuzco but Lord Kuzco the Court Favourite"

Kuzco says, "Who asks for a night with your peasant girl"

Raspberries says, "If you mention it in your RPA, seems like it could already"

Temi has transferred Wimpled.  [OOC]

Temi gives a pyre-shaped candle with a victim secured to it face-first to Wimpled.

Temi claims, "And yes, we'd be happy to consider it in RPA"

Temi says, "Alright though... let's move on to the next topic.  Sorry, a bit of freezing there."

Temi questions, "Polytonic, you had something?"

Polytonic claims, "Yes"

Polytonic questions, "I'm wondering if coffee, tea, and chocolate have their place in the brew skill. They were in cook some time ago. Now, one has to learn a guildskill to make a tea...

A farin with string and sing can't make a coffee. A cook with butcher (husbandry) and skin (leatherworking), can't make a chocolate.

If brew needs some receipts to interest more people, maybe could we consider other receipts than coffee, tea, and chocolate. Could'nt we?

"

Brando sits down and rests.

Raspberries claims, "Brew isn't a guildskill"

Temi states, "Yeah, brewing shouldn't be a guildskill."

Elysaveta claims, "Cooking and brewing are both just regular skills."

Azarial states, "It is not."

Polytonic says OOCly, "Allright, that's a good answer! I just thought it was /o\"

Temi states, "Does that address your concerns?  As far as I'm aware, it's one of our most popular crafting skills."

Polytonic claims, "Yes, that addresses my concerns perfectly."

Raspberries smiles.

Temi claims, "Okay, great!  Glad to solve an issue thoroughly."

Temi asks, "Ikeala, you had a topic?"

Ikeala says, "First, I've realized an issue where any spells that use invoke cast that seek out people rather than are cast in a room cause trouble if you basically have anyone on your remember list with 'Cast' in the name. It took me a while to figure out what that was, but it's caused accidents and mess ups that can have IC consequences."

Scotty trails off, "Ikeala makes me want to buy and build bookshelves..."

Temi claims, "That should probably be a bug report."

Temi states, "I don't think it's an intended behavior."

Empire says, "Aye. I think invoking on a specific individual should require their full name, anyways."

Raspberries says, "I've had a couple of amusing problems regarding the remember system"

Empire claims, "Since magic is such a high risk thing."

Kuzco claims, "If you remember someone's horse with the owner's name you can never remember the owner's name again, lol"

Raspberries nods at Kuzco.

Temi says, "We don't want to preclude the ability to cast on people by keywords and such though."

Ikeala states, "I'll submit that! On to the second part, there's been all kinds of forum topics and discussions over time about how to have fun/proper/interesting mage interactions that are fun but aren't overwheming/too much/constantly deadly etc. So I'm just putting out if anyone has any ideas of feedback about recent stuffs for anyone who was involved."

Raspberries claims, "Yeah, my dog got a messenger once because someone remembered her as Raspberries's dog."

Temi muses, "Did she answer it?"

Temi grins.

Raspberries nods.

Wimpled states, "Mage dog."

Kuzco states, "Some spells seem to allow safe interaction; mail too"

Elysaveta claims, "Dog messengers. Now I need that to be a thing."

Brando says, "LoL."

Temi claims, "And we do want to lean towards one topic per person, but as that first one's just a bug."

Ikeala pontificates, "Sorry!"

Temi questions, "So... any comments on mage interactions?  Have people been seeing and enjoying some?"

Scotty claims, "I haven't any complaints on any mage interactions across my characters. "

Kuzco says, "Yeah! I always enjoy a good barbeque."

Scotty hisses at Kuzco.

Empire says, "I thought of a topic when it is my turn."

Temi queries, "Any more suggestions for Ikeala, or should we move on to Empire?"

Wimpled says, "Last few mage interactions have been fun."

Kitty says, "Mage interactions have been good."

Kirill has returned from AFK.

Temi states, "Sounds pretty positive in general.  If you come up with ideas, feel free to discuss them on the forums."

Temi queries, "Moving on to Empire then.  What's your topic?"

Kirill has gone AFK.

Polytonic states, "WHile I can't give answers, I understand the purpose of the question, since I noticed in the past that mage interaction were rares. I had some shadows, speaking animals and dreams, but that does not seem a large enough panel for mages to interact with people."

Empire asks, "Okay so I'm really interested in throwing in my hat for the staff apps, but I currently have a GL to whom it's not quite viable to step down. Do I let this one slide or apply anyway?"

Temi says, "Feel free to let us know you're interested but it would be further in the future"

Kuzco states, "I don't think exceptions are made for this rule."

Empire nods in understanding.

Temi says, "We're happy to hear about general interest, not necessarily only for 'right now availability'"

Kuzco pontificates, "(if that's what you meant!)"

Temi claims, "But yes, we don't like to have staff as guildleaders, even temporarily"

Empire says, "I can understand why."

Temi claims, "Okay then.  I have a topic to discuss too."

Raspberries sits down and faces Temi. 

Brando nods.

Kuzco sits down and hugs his knees.

Temi claims, "What would people think about a staff prerogative to ignore noble histories if a previous noble never left cyan?  The previous noble would officially be an imposter if it ever impacted anyone enough to care and was investigated.  Mostly, it would mean less historical consistency, but an easier time for new nobles to slot themselves in with the stories they want"

Raspberries trails off, "Hmmm...."

Kuzco says, "I don't want to state an opinion then regret it through examples."

Raspberries says, "Well, cyanity does mean flexibility"

Empire muses, "Do I get to draw and quarter them? :D"

Ikeala wonders, "What does that mean for people who had connections with that person? They have to RP that it was fake?"

Kuzco states, "I do dislike noble cyans claiming the entire clan died, then they go poof too"

Temi states, "Nah, they're already gone."

Raspberries says, "People can redo their whole concept while still cyan, so makes sense than staff can redo a retired cyan"

Empire says, "IC events >_>"

Temi states, "And yeah, it does provide a bit more issues for people with connections to them"

Empire wants to see some blood.

Ikeala muses, "I guess my question is we have a lot of areas that have never had a noble, could we be encouraging folks to take some of those?"

Temi says, "Though I think most nobles that have time to form real connections last longer than cyan"

Raspberries nods in agreement.

Temi states, "We actually don't have that many that never have, within certain duchies."

Ikeala queries, "Perhaps there just wasn't stuff written for some of them?"

Temi muses, "But, am I hearing that a number of people are fairly uncomfortable with essentially erasing those cyan nobles?"

Temi nods at Ikeala.

Temi claims, "Some of them never even made it far enough to do their domain helpfiles"

Temi says, "Those would especially be the ones we would be more likely to scrub away"

Kuzco claims, "I think a list of domains with 'more prone for a new noble leader' to less would be useful"

Ikeala claims, "I admit that for me there seems to be a thing where a new noble can kind of too easily nuke the existance of whoever came before them."

Raspberries says, "Might be useful, but perhaps a pain to keep updated"

Temi states, "And we wouldn't always get rid of them, just when that makes fitting someone's new character idea in much easier"

Temi says, "I always try to make it fit with the existing history, as that historical consistency is important to me... but some of the other staff were worried I'm trying to force it too much when no one actually cares about them."

Kitty trails off, "I think we have a lot of..."

Ikeala claims, "I'm not staff but I care if my vote counts."

Kitty says, "... new... nobles? Like, some players are relatively newish, and they are playing nobles while relatively new, so they may not fully know what nobles may have come before them, or know how to find out."

Temi nods.

Azarial claims, "Failed nobs limit what those that follow them can do or claim, especially in that case of everyone died of dysentary on the way up the bren trail."

Ikeala states, "I admit I'm not sure what I feel about people on their very few char to the game making a noble, no offense to anyone."

Temi says, "That's part of why it's been staff's job to ensure people fit with the previous applications."

Kitty claims, "Not like, the nobles are new - but the actual player behind the noble is new. I swear I'm trying to make sense."

Temi pontificates to Kitty, "Oh, no, you do make sense!"

Raspberries claims, "This does bring something to mind though, at one time we had an existing bastard from a noble line that had a new noble sign onto, but the backstories didn't match up. Might be good to keep track of ties like that and inform the applicant"

Kuzco asks, "I'm uncertain. Perhaps make stricter requirements for noble apps histories than 'yeah my entire family died'?"

Temi nods at Raspberries.

Temi claims, "We try to."

Scotty would love to play a bastard sibling of some noble... >_>

Kuzco muses, "Like offer a list of possibilities "this dude had a sister called Temi, would you like to play her? She's a carte blanche right now""

Empire states, "I don't think super new players should be allowed to app nobles unless they hit a milestone."

Temi states, "We did discuss that situation when it came up, for that particular one."

Kuzco nods.

Polytonic says OOCly, "I'd adree with Kuzco."

Polytonic states, "I'd agree with Kuzco."

Raspberries nods.

Brando questions, "How much creative control are we giving Players to create the realm of Lithmore. I think the Character background file is extradordinarilly power in that regards. I am deeply considering asking if I can name a major river after my characters family name ot a noble] that is on the map but so far I havent found its name in the help files. If taht were to occur then RP wise some connections could be made . I recommend cyan nobles have a comprehensive background file or yeah they can be considered imposters. The brotherhood has many ways of fooling the public yes?"

Ikeala says, "It can feel awkward to need to correct someone IC who could have you beat half to death for offending them."

Temi says, "We do try to give people a lot of leeway and not define things we don't have to define."

Polytonic claims, "Maybe that staffs deals with the family tree, and players pick up one fitting their concepts."

Kuzco states, "I do think that 100 percent new players and noble apps tend to cause friction."

Kitty says, "I dunno. It's hard coming in and trying to mesh with an existing character. Sometimes it just... doesn't work. The playstyles don't flow, or you just don't get along with the player as well as you'd like."

Elizabethany nods.

Kuzco nods at Ikeala 

Elizabethany says, "Background connections are always a little tough."

Temi queries, "Do people in general agree that new players shouldn't be allowed to create nobles?"

Temi states, "We do want to attract new players, and for some, that's the type of character they are really excited about."

Scotty claims, "I like the idea of having a short list when noble apps are open, and be like 'female baron of Nimrock"

Raspberries claims, "I think perhaps their application should be looked at a lot harder, at the minimum"

Empire states, "Honestly just until they know what it means to be nobility."

Ikeala claims, "Or they should be able to play a relative but not -the noble- from that area."

Empire says, "In Lithmore."

Elysaveta says, "I do think at least playing a bit first is a big benefit for moving on to a more advanced character."

Kuzco says, "I have mixed feelings. Some new player nobles are GREAT. Some are NOT."

Azarial claims, "Or an understanding of theme and the culture of the duchy they have chosen"

Raspberries nods at Kuzco.

Kitty states, "... yeah. I still feel new, and I'm not... really new anymore. I don't think someone who is 100 percent new should be playing a noble. They need to know more about the game. Nobles have significant power. That's like a 100 percent newbie coming in and apping straight into a GL position."

They aren't here.

Polytonic says, "I agree with kuzco again."

Better stand up first.

Raspberries nods at Azarial.

Kuzco questions, "Maybe the first noble shouldn't be titled nobility? Just unlanded?"

Ikeala says, "Which also happens, Kitty, and also causes problems."

Scotty trails off, "I also think there should be a limit to the number of nobles from a duchie... so we don't end up with a Lithmore run over with Vavardi >_>"

Temi nods.

Kuzco nods.

Empire claims, "I'd app a noble but I can't remember the policy. Especially having an existing GL."

Kuzco hisses at Scotty. 

Ikeala claims, "I'm not saying I don't want new players and don't want them excited. But I don't what that excitement to come at the expense of everyone else."

Temi queries, "Well, I'll add this to the staff discussions list.  Anyone have anything else before we send you folks back?"

Scotty hisses back at Kuzco.

Kuzco declaims, "Yeah!"

Temi starts editing a note. (This is an OOC action)

Ikeala muses, "I have a slight suggestion to it?"

Wimpled claims, "I wouldn't like to see a restriction on duchy/race of characters."

Temi finishes her note.

Kuzco declaims, "PLEASE consider writing a review in Reddit! It lets people know how good or bad we are, and adds publicity in any case!"

Scotty states to Wimpled, "Just Nobles, not over all players. "

Kuzco declaims, "Also in other websites!"

Polytonic claims, "Oh, I have a quick question."

Temi queries, "Yes?"

Wimpled states, "I understand that, but don't think it should apply to them either."

Scotty wonders, "What is a Reddit?"

Ikeala wonders, "Maybe if there was a way for people to test out a character like that with an ST or an event to see how it flows?"

Kuzco states, "A big big big website"

Kitty states, "Reddit is a website."

Polytonic claims, "Could it be possible the facebook page be public. Acutally one need a facebook account to see it, which is ashame imho."

Scotty queries, "Is it like the dark places we don't go like 4chan?"

Brando states, "Dont forget to recommend your favorite characters that you RP'ed with this week."

Raspberries says, "Bit more mainstream."

Kuzco claims, "Reddit.com"

Empire claims, "Reddit is -the- website. Front page of the internet."

Kuzco nods at Brando!

Kuzco pontificates, "Recommend is important. Also tipo your bards!"

Scotty pontificates, "Don't forget to recommend the Staff! Show them how much you lurv all their hard work!"

Azarial states, "Funny; I thought it was google search"

Temi states, "I haven't fussed with facebook enough to know the implications of that"

Kuzco states, "*tip"

Kuzco nods.

Ikeala says, "It would mean all your friends and possibly coworkers would see if you post there."

Scotty hug Azarial. 

Ikeala trails off, "Which depending ..."

Kuzco declaims, "Yah reddit reviews in the /MUD subreddit add a lot of publciity!"

Azarial states, "I beleve the request was for people wihtout a FB account to be able to read it"

Polytonic says, "Yes, as az says."

Azarial says, "So no account, no post, no worry about people trolling you RL for your online activities"

Kuzco states, "Https://www.reddit.com/r/MUD/"

Raspberries questions, "How about considering cross-posting to our forums if you post something interesting on the facebook page?"

Polytonic says, "To be clear, I've no facebook account, and would like to see the TI-L facebook page."

Raspberries isn't on facebook either.

Brando claims, "Nor I"

Scotty says, "I see /r and I am scard."

Temi says, "I'm not sure if anyone cares about it being locked down at all."

Kuzco states, "I post every single thing from the FB page on our Discord server"

Kuzco claims, "I wouldn't want it open then have my coworkers peek into it"

Kitty claims, "But they can't see if if they click on it if they don't have facebook."

Polytonic says, "Discord is not exactly the most openned website either."

Kuzco says, "It's not a website"

Ikeala questions, "Is there a reason against making a FB account to see the page?"

Kuzco says, "Well kinda"

Kitty states, "Discord can be accessed online."

Azarial states, "I wouldn;t login to FB at work; that;s asking for trouble"

Empire claims, "I TI from work. It helps when half your job is mulling around in SSH connections."

Temi states, "I think people's concerns are that opening it up changes the auto-sharing about what you've been doing on it to non-TI friends."

Kuzco says, "I don't mean logging in at work but my Friend coworkers seeing how much of a Vavardi nerd I am"

Kitty says, "Via a webpage instead of via the app. It's how I monitor my kiddo."

Temi claims, "And sounds like there's some concerns, so unless we can open it for people to look at without an account without changing the sharing, we probably want to hold back."

Temi states, "I don't think there's concerns about your non-TI friends going to look at the TI page and seeing you were posting there, unless it's already announcing to them."

Kuzco states, "Yeah that's fine"

Empire states, "Rather TI than #420EveryDay"

Temi says, "Okay.  Well... maybe Niamh can look at that possibility then and see if they are tied together."

Raspberries gets a long-stemmed pipe hung with a dangling charm of fangs from a basic field supply kit crafted from water-proofed leather.

Temi trails off, "But in any case... we're over time, so I'll go ahead and send everyone back"

Raspberries waves.

Ikeala waves.

• Information