Log of OOC Meeting 2018-07-14

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Taunya

Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:39 pm

Temi asks, "So, our agenda for today is 1)  Staff Updates.  2)  Player Heartbeat.  3)  Player Topics.  Before we get started, does anyone have any topics that they would like to get their name on the list for?"

Prisca says, "I've got a minor thing"

Giles says, "I've got a minor idea that I'd like to toss out."

Temi muses, "Okay, got Prisca and Giles.  Anyone else?"

Arkenn states, "I've got a topic from a player who couldn't make it."

Temi nods at Arkenn.

Temi claims, "Alright.  Anybody else that comes up with something, just drop me a line and I'll put you on the list."

Temi wonders, "In the meantime... staff updates!  Az?"

Azarial claims, "I've been trimming down my board with typos, second person usage, and bugs.  I've added the guild promotions, which I have testd a few times.  it should normally fire on the monthly rollover.  I figure on looking at the rollovers to see what i can spread out; tonight's has a tendency to boot some people.  And the liquidation polca is on the top of the stack."

Temi trails off, "Excellent, sounds good... taking a quick look at the changes..."

Arkenn claims, "When you say guild promotions"

Prisca states, "Az has been a busy kitsune."

Arkenn asks, "Do you mean the weekly pboards that start pinging when people are eligible?"

Prisca nods at Arkenn.

Prisca says, "Will be monthly rather than weekly"

Arkenn claims, "Are they being moved to monthly instead then? Because that's kinda the topic."

Azarial says, "Not weekly; i've been testing the formatting."

Temi says, "Nothing too big on the changes board.  Looks like just those few things in help news - the guild promotion reminders, and then some of the things we'd done based on previous meetings - stopping the staff queue on support/subvert stuff, bow defense penalty gone for NPCs, sing command.  Not sure where we get into last week stuff there.. I think the spell was last."

Arkenn muses, "So it's back to how it worked before on support/subvert?"

Temi states, "Yeah, those reminders should be monthly, once they are done and right."

Temi nods at Arkenn.

Arkenn exclaims, "Woohoo!"

Arkenn pontificates, "Now I can join the merchants and subvert yeto!"

Arkenn trails off, "I mean..."

Arkenn states, "Erm... I would never do such a thing. I am a kind and loving individual who would never subvert their guild leader."

Temi claims, "It's back to how it was before in that you still need to have a good enough reason to do either support or subvert, just as if the staff was reviewing it"

Temi states, "But you won't have to wait for us to approve it"

Arkenn claims, "Understood. :)"

Temi says, "Which doesn't mean merchants can't subvert Yeto - that's entirely allowed, with a thoughtful explanation.  Sorry, Yeto."

Arkenn states, "Nah... Yeto's a cool dude."

Arkenn claims, "He makes clothing."

Arkenn states, "We kinda need that."

Temi grins.

Prisca streaks.

Azarial nods.

Temi states, "Okay, so, moving on then!  My update."

Arkenn states, "Otherwise we have people like Prisca who streak."

Azarial states, "It;s had to be manly and compare lengths when they are diminished form flapping in the chill lithmorran breeze.  what knights wants to parade about wiht but a child's dagger"

Azarial wonders, "?"

Temi states, "I wasn't too useful Sunday after getting back from camping, but since that, I've been heads-down focusing on keeping up with the plot events."

Temi has transferred Ivar.  [OOC]

Temi gives a lumpy blue stocking of some sort to Ivar.

Ivar holds a lumpy blue stocking of some sort in his hand.

The dragon emerges from the lake and swims around in front of Ivar with a sinuous motion that reaches his shoulder.

Ivar stops using a lumpy blue stocking of some sort.

Temi says, "We'll have one more update tomorrow on the status of the baronial council votes"

Arkenn claims, "Well with the update to the monthly message thing about promotions... I can withdraw the topic from the player who isn't here. :)"

Prisca states, "Thanks for keeping up with those Temi, was afraid we'd be drowning you."

Temi exclaims, "And then next weekend, will be the official vote with the finale... lots of involvement this week, so hope people are having fun with it!"

Temi states, "You should see a lot more results from people's involvement this week"

Edwin claims, "I'm still not exactly sure how it is supposed to work -_-"

Temi states, "I'd be glad to help answer questions, if you have any"

Prisca states to Edwin, "Smooze with the domains via plots"

Giles nods.

Temi wonders, "Did you read the FAQ post?"

Giles declaims, "I'm having fun, but Giles is scared!"

Temi exclaims, "Scaring our characters can be lots of fun!"

Temi grins.

Giles grins.

Arkenn trails off, "Hmmm..."

Giles claims, "Oh, I prefer it this way, believe me."

Lethanavir claims, "Making my character suffer is more fun"

Edwin claims, "Kill all the heretics."

Edwin clears his throat.

Prisca can help Lethanavir with that.

Giles grins.

Lethanavir wants to be hugged by all the leeches.

Temi claims, "Alright.  Well, for those who are still a bit confused on how the baronial council stuff will work, I would recommend giving a read of the FAQ on the general board, and if you still have questions, I'd be glad to help walk you through it"

Temi has transferred Theia.  [OOC]

Temi gives a lumpy blue stocking of some sort to Theia.

Theia wonders, "Did I miss anything good?"

Theia claims, "Oo spec"

Theia gets Warrant Update Spec.

Temi finishes abruptly, "We were just finishing up with my update - I've been working on plot stuff, and invited people to ask me questions later if they are still confused on how to get involved (and would like to - you don't have to)"

Theia states, "Sounds good. :)"

Temi queries, "So, continuing on then, player heartbeat!  How's RP been for everyone this week?"

Theia says, "Question about the spec."

Prisca exclaims, "Busier! I've had some fun working on the baronal council with PCs as well"

Temi says, "It's Kin's spec from last week"

Theia muses, "Can the Reeves call for a Review of Faith or is that Order side?"

Edwin states, "I have had an awesome time as usual. Resolved on arc, started another."

Temi says, "Reeves have nothing to do with reviews of faith thematically"

Lethanavir says, "I haven't been around as much I have in the past but its been goood. Rp is always great."

Giles claims, "I just want to say that I've had a great time getting to know other PCs -- and I appreciate their efforts. They've definitely gotten me involved in RP."

Theia says, "Ah. It mentioned Zolin bringing Claire in for Sumptuary(Reeve thing) and result would be a Review of Faith(ORder thing)"

Giles declares, "So thanks all!"

Edwin highfives Giles. 

Theia states, "Also... RP was great."

Theia states, "I did things that involved Edwin."

Theia says, "I did other things that involved wandering around town."

Edwin laughs.

Arkenn trails off, "I..."

Edwin states, "Edwin is... a thing. Yes."

Theia claims, "Indeed"

Arkenn says, "Sat on my butt most of the week and RP'd with Miguello for a bit earlier."

Giles states, "This may not be the time to bring it up, but... I wrote a pretty nice review on Reddit, and I was accused of being Kinaed. And I am not, obviously. So... if anyone wants to... weigh in there."

Edwin asks, "What's Reddit?"

Azarial drops her face in her hands, her ears flopping forward, before shaking her head.

Prisca exclaims to Giles, "Hi Kinaed! ;)"

Theia claims, "Nah... Giles is obviously Azarial's first actual PC."

Theia claims, "Makes sense."

Edwin claims, "I dig Giles as a character."

Arkenn states, "I... Haven't gotten a chance to RP with him."

Giles states, "All I said was that I was having fun."

Arkenn claims, "Chances are I would call him Lordship, nod at him then ignore him while complaining about the shit coffee in the Queen's"

Edwin says, "One day soon Edwin will convince him that all heretics must die."

Lethanavir states, "Sounds like you"

Giles laughs.

Temi claims, "Seems pretty positive in general, in any case.  Anything bothering anybody that the staff ought to know about?  Besides topics on our list."

Theia says, "When using Purchase to increase App score"

Theia says, "It says 25k for +1 and 50k for +2"

Temi nods at Theia.

Theia claims, "Does that mean it costs 75k to get the +2"

Theia says, "For the +1 then into +2"

Temi claims, "I believe so, though admit I'm not completely sure at the moment"

Theia questions, "Az! Do you happen to know?"

Giles claims, "I thought it meant an extra 25K."

Arkenn mutters something about pretty people.

Edwin shrugs.

Lethanavir wants to be a pretty princess.

Theia says, "Well. Blaise is dead so... good luck with that. >_>"

Temi has transferred Brunella.  [OOC]

Temi gives a lumpy blue stocking of some sort to Brunella.

Theia claims, "Maybe Roland will win and adopt you"

Azarial says, "I think that it is not additive; that;s the total spent ot get to that value"

Giles claims, "That's how the help file reads to me."

Brunella holds a lumpy blue stocking of some sort in her hand.

Theia claims, "That... doesn't make sense then on the numbers. it would be 100k to hit +4 not 150k :/"

Azarial holds the lumpy blue stocking, then pushes it up her arm.  A lake dragon emerges, and peers about!  The mouth opens wide, and it gives forth a credible call.  "RAWWWR!!"

Edwin claims, "Roland and Edwin are boys. He totally talked down a bloodbath. ^_^"

Edwin says, "Although secretly I just wanted to kill all of the heretics."

Theia trails off, "+1, 25k, +2, 50k, +3, 100k..."

Temi states, "I do believe the costs are supposed to escalate as you get more."

Giles claims, "So if you start at 2, 3 will cost you 25K, and 4 will cost (in total) 50K... that's how the file reads, anyway. I might be totally off base."

Lethanavir states, "Thank goodness"

Theia claims, "1 and 2 would make sense on that being how much you spent total. But if it's that then 3 and 4 should be 75 and 100. not 100 150... So if you start at App 1, and buy App +1, +2, +3, +4, you should be spending... 225k I think."

Theia asks, "Then how does that work for +3?"

Temi says, "It's not guaranteed to be a perfectly sloping line to get up there."

Temi claims, "Alright!  Continuing on then so we can get to people's topics, though."

Temi asks, "Prisca, you had something?"

Prisca claims, "I'm glad for the editor_log toggle! But I wanted to make a suggestion that it be turned off for everyone by default. It's especially tough for new players who need help while in a POLCA but can't be reached because they don't know that they are receiving tells while inside the editor."

Lethanavir claims, "I -might- have a small thing I want to say."

Temi questions, "What do people think in general?  Is it more confusing to get inundated with tells or not to be getting them?"

Temi nods at Lethanavir.

Arkenn trails off, "I've got no real opinion either way..."

Calanthe says, "I think it's more confusing to not be getting them."

Temi nods.

Brunella states, "Me too."

Temi states, "Okay, I'll put that on the staff list and maybe we can get that switched around.  I assume it's an easy fix, just picking the right one."

Temi questions, "Giles, you had something?"

Prisca claims, "As an example, someone was in the messenger POLCA to send me a messenger, and asked me a question, I responded, a few minutes later was like 'you there?' couldn't hear what I was saying. tried reaching him on OOC and visnet telling him to check replay, but he wasn't on those either"

Brunella says, "Yeah. would be nice to avoid that situation."

Azarial claims, "It should show in the prompt"

Theia claims, "We had people ask the other day about what the R meant"

Temi states, "In an editor, you don't get the prompt"

Azarial states, "In the polca, you do."

Temi nods at Azarial.

Giles states, "Oh, so, I just had a minor idea that was prompted by a typo in a player help file."

Temi nods.

Giles claims, "It'd be nice if a PC could ascertain roughly how old another PC is compared to them."

Giles claims, "Give or take five years, for example."

Prisca trails off, "Should have them in the POLCA, yes, but I at least often forget to clear my tell logs, so there's no way of knowing if you've got a new message, could be an old one you already saw. it's easy to overlook. hmm... maybe add a (R 2) for example, show how many tells are in your tell log"

Temi states, "Ah, that's an interesting idea"

Temi nods at Giles.

Prisca claims to Giles, "Perhaps not a bad idea. Players should try to give some hint at age in their descs anyway though"

Temi queries, "Like, check if somebody's in their 10s, 20s, 30s?"

Giles claims, "I thought Empena was in her 60s or so because of a typo and the wording of her help file. It wasn't until I saw her baby that I realized I was wrong."

Temi states, "I think this particular situation was based on someone else saying 'Hey, X also has something related to that', but then not knowing how they fit in"

Temi says, "And people are often bad at changing their helpfiles"

Theia questions, "Yea... Empena is... almost 30 ICly I think?"

Prisca claims, "My only concern is characters who may want look older/younger than their age"

Giles claims, "IRL, I can't tell how old a person is exactly, but I can tell if they're within 5 years of my age."

Giles muses, "I think she's 28?"

Prisca claims, "Prisca for example I imagine looking older than she is due to all of her scars"

Temi claims to Prisca, "To some extent, though it should still be based in their real age"

Calanthe claims, "I think age is easier to disguise than height, so personally I would prefer not to have it be estimated via code."

Giles says, "I'm not suggesting anything drastic. However, someone thought Ardan might be Giles' brother, and he is in his 50's, and Giles is in his 20's."

Giles claims, "And again, Giles thought Empena might be way too old to have a baby."

Arkenn exclaims, "Oh... Temi!"

Temi wonders, "What about something like year tagging on helpinfos?"

Temi ponders.

Arkenn questions, "Is it required to have hair color if you have it somewhere?"

Calanthe says, "As far as players being bad about updating their help players or descriptions, I'd say that's more of a community issue."

Giles nods at Calanthe.

Arkenn states, "I've seen like two people who don't mention their hair color at all. And wanted to know what the feelings about that were."

Prisca nods at Calanthe.

Temi claims, "Um... your hair is required to ICly have a color, as it exists.  But I don't know that we require it explicitly in any specific location."

Azarial says, "If it;s a comminty issue, then that can be solved wihtoiut code."

Calanthe nods in agreement with Azarial.

Prisca says, "THat might not be a bad reminder thing though, another monthly thing if you havne't updated your desc/player help in over a certain amount of time, send an automated pboard to remind"

Arkenn asks, "So... the way to find out then is to ask about it?"

Temi says, "I do think it's good practice to include your hair color in your descriptions as one of the most obvious features"

Giles states, "I agree with Az. It just seems weird that you can't ascertain roughly how old a person is with look."

Temi claims, "But if someone doesn't, I don't think any policy now"

Edwin claims, "I have no hair color."

Edwin claims, "It is clear."

Arkenn claims, "I'd rather not get month pboards about updating stuff on the desc or player helpfile. I update them already if things change."

Calanthe questions to Edwin, "You're a polar bear?"

Prisca claims, "I state hair color only when Prisca's head is exposed, which it rarely is"

Arkenn wonders to Edwin, "So you're up for your Review of Faith huh?"

Temi states, "Maybe rough age should be available with city lore or such"

Brunella claims, "How about a quest point for updating your helpfile every three months or so."

Theia claims, "Ooo I like that"

Yeto has lost link.
Yeto has reconnected.

Theia says, "Adds a component to city lore"

Calanthe queries, "With the proposed udpates to it?"

Giles claims, "I like that too."

Edwin thinks he should probably wear something that covers his hair as well.

Temi nods at Calanthe.

Brunella says, "I respond well to QP carrots."

Calanthe says, "I'm not as opposed to that, though if someone's actively trying to hide their age I'd like them to have options still. I think the Reeve papers command isn't utilized much and I'm not suggesting it be used to find out a lady's age (shame on you!), but in cases where there's something more than curiosity.."

Giles claims, "I realize it isn't a huge deal, but it is something that I noticed, so I thought I'd bring it up. You can more or less determine if a person is taller than you, but you can't tell ages? That seems a bit... unrealistic."

Prisca nods.

Temi has transferred Norrig.  [OOC]

Temi gives a lumpy blue stocking of some sort to Norrig.

Norrig bows.

Giles claims, "I'm not suggesting you can tell if a person if 3 years older than you. It is more for a characeter who is 5+ years older or younger."

Winds up a lumpy blue stocking of some sort, and snaps it for Norrig's rear. [Prisca]

Yeto has lost link.

Yeto has reconnected.

Temi says, "I do think it shouldn't just be an automatic thing that you can look 10 years different from your actual age if you want to"

Norrig muses, "What are we talking about?"

Giles nods at Temi.

Temi says, "We're discussing commands for looking into someone's age"

Norrig nods.

Prisca says, "I might not mind a "He appears to be in his teens to early twenties", "late twenties to mid thirties." etc if it's suitably vague"

Calanthe says, "If something does go in I hope we call it 'treering'."

Azarial raises an eyebrow.

Temi states to Calanthe, "We're not slicing people open."

Arkenn states, "Ah."

Temi states, "Okay.  Continuing on then, we still have some topics"

Azarial states, "Kin would blame me for the possible pun."

Giles declares, "I mean, all joking aside, I look younger than I am... but I also couldn't pass for a 17 y/o. Anyway, yeah. That's my thought!"

Temi claims, "An anonymous one:  The topic is, can there be an addition to the Aura of Sanctuary spell that lets the person holding it know when it deactivates? As it stands it flickers when it turns on, but it does nothing when it turns off and instead just stops working without any kind of announcement or alert."

Azarial states, "It;s magic, not science."

Giles wonders, "Are we voting on this?"

Temi states, "Discussing.  If there's interest, it'd probably go to Kin"

Arkenn muses, "I mean... if it does stuff to activate, maybe for deactivating it does stuff too. Would be rather awkward if it just up and vanished wouldn't telling whoever has it right?"

Temi states, "I know the spell was intended to be a bit risky, but I don't really have a problem with the light flickering out or something"

Giles states, "I'm in favor of anything that makes the lives of mages a bit easier."

Prisca says, "Dunno what it is or how it acts, so not much to say here. Though if it flickers when it comes on, and has some sort of visible effect, seems like it should flicker off too"

Azarial states, "Could have it detonate."

Edwin states, "I have no idea how magic works."

Arkenn claims, "I feel like Az doesn't like mages."

Prisca nods at Azarial.

Temi states, "Az just likes blowing anybody up."

Temi grins.

Temi claims, "Okay, well, I'll add that to staff discussions then"

Temi muses, "Lethanavir, you had a topic?"

Giles claims, "I don't really know how they work, but it seems like a pretty reasonable suggestion."

Lethanavir wonders, "So with the class relations so bad at the moment. I found out that some shopkeepers can't even buy things for people from their own stores because the npc's apparently don't look at your current class, just what you orginally were. Its this supposed to be a thing or is it a bug?"

Temi muses, "That was a bug... I think Az fixed it?"

Giles claims, "I'll weigh in to say... that is sort of weird."

Prisca says, "That would be a typo board. they need to be set if your class changes"

Temi says, "It should be on your current appeared-class"

Edwin claims, "NO tbeing able to buy things in the Keep is weird."

Azarial states, "Pretty sure i fixed htat.  and only gls were getting tagged if their class differed from the guild"

Lethanavir states, "Ah, okay"

Prisca says, "Oh.. sorry thought you meant player shops"

Prisca claims to Edwin, "Guild shops shouldn't be effected by class I think"

Temi claims, "If you mean player shops, they would be set up once at the beginning and need to be requested to change, if you're changing their main clientele"

Arkenn says, "So... I actually have two topics Temi. XD Sorry."

Temi nods at Arkenn.

Giles says, "I will put this out there: the idea someone won't sell chocolate to a noble seems a bit... curious thematically."

Temi claims, "You're next.. have them ready to go"

Temi states, "I do think how it intersects with nobility is a bit weird"

Azarial says, "People ignore the metrics otherwise.  it ha to pinch somewhere"

Calanthe says, "I was wondering if there's some way to tell at a glance what clientele an NPC caters to."

INFO: Juras has just created!

Norrig says to Calanthe, "That would be neat."

Calanthe says, "There used to be the big business list that told you."

Temi says, "I don't think there is.. that would make sense"

Norrig states, "Some cases, many cases are not obvious."

Calanthe nods at Temi.

Norrig muses, "Maybe with a look around?"

Temi claims, "I'll put that up to discuss too"

Temi wonders, "Moving right along, since we have several topics still... Arkenn?"

Giles says, "It doesn't really bother me OOCly, except for the fact that thematically... refusing to sell to a noble should probably get you lashed? Maybe I'm wrong."

Calanthe states, "Thanks! And sorry for cutting next in line, it was inspired by the current topic."

Azarial says, "Or a polite erminder that it is a bad toime to be sluming it with the peasants"

Temi states, "It did get Lysander lashed, and he's set up differently now"

Prisca muses, "I thought player shops had to be the same class as the owner. Can I change mine to gentry if I'm more interested in targetting gentry as a freeman?"

Theia says, "Lysander still doesn't serve gentry"

Theia states, "At the moment"

Giles claims, "Fair enough point, Az."

Temi claims to Prisca, "I'll leave that to Niamh to be consistent with what she's said before"

Prisca nods.

Temi muses, "Okay, Arkenn?"

Norrig queries, "Could it be I am not getting served by freeman AND gentry shop mobs?"

Arkenn wonders, "Topic 1: When it comes to supporting or subverting someone. It's considered against policy to support the same person with multiple alts or no? It's not actualy clarified in the helpfile so... I would assume it might be but at the same time it might not be?"

Arkenn says, "Topic 2: So I've heard that shopkeepers will never do business with you if you are cloaked or have a mask. But there's a shopkeeper on grid you does actually interact with you when you're cloaked and masked. If that's the case, wouldn't all of the Southside shops allow for that including the Brotherhood only shops? The Brotherhood walks around with masks and cloaks on all the time, especially in their own den because being discovered for who they are is very dangerous. If Thief A knows who Thief B is and Thief A gets arrested. He can just throw Thief B under the bus and get out."

Azarial states, "Code won;t let you support someone on multiple alts"

Arkenn states, "Awesome."

Arkenn states, "Which explains why it isn't in the helpfile, it's literally not possible so wouldn't be an issue"

Temi says, "There's a special setting for shopkeepers with cloaked/masked setup, I think"

Arkenn muses, "But you know what I mean with that right?"

Temi claims, "But it isn't the status quo, more for special exceptions, like brotherhood stuff"

Prisca questions, "Really? I know it was discussed, but I've never seen any allow concealed people to buy, or even list what they sell"

Norrig nods at Prisca.

Norrig claims, "Dangerous as s***"

Temi says, "I'm not completely sure, but I thought so"

Arkenn says, "I can wear a mask and cloak conceal and buy from someone on grid. I've been able to type 'list' which always says, "I don't trade with people I can't see.""

Arkenn states, "So I know it's possible."

Temi claims, "However, most brotherhood folks would not wander around in masks and cloaks all the time."

Temi claims, "They'd look like normal people"

Edwin claims, "That's what I was thinking."

Giles nods.

Arkenn states, "That's true, but in their den... I would hope that they are wearing masks and cloaks."

Arkenn claims, "Otherwise... they deserve to get caught."

Arkenn says, "Secrecy first guys."

Temi says, "I dont know that I'd even push that, though it's certainly an option"

Edwin claims, "If they are in masks and cloaks all the time its like. Oh hey... please put this noose around my neck."

Arkenn puts a mask and cloak on Edwin. <3

Temi says, "I've been in the brotherhood at different times in both masked cultures and mask-free"

Temi says, "And you get different community feels, but both were viable"

Prisca states, "Just recall that being cloak shouldn't be an automatic suspicious thing."

Brunella nods at Temi.

Lethanavir puts a noose around Edwin's neck.

Temi nods at Prisca.

Edwin dies.

Temi says, "Especially not outside in the snow and rain"

Arkenn claims, "Exactly."

Prisca states, "Hoods keep the rain off your head, sun out of you eyes, etc"

Lethanavir celebrates.

Edwin states, "Welp. Time to roll an evil bastard."

Giles asks, "Is there really any reason that being cloaked should be suspicious?"

Theia trails off, "I mean... I was accused of trying to be a mage in public because I had a cloak up so a Knight literally demanded I remove my hood at once or be run through. so I did and they were like 'Oh... my bad then""

Temi claims, "Indoors"

Prisca claims, "I honestly feel like reeves would give Little Red Riding hood trouble if she walked into Lithmore."

Arkenn wonders, "Temi. In that case can you add it to the staff list for discussion?"

Prisca trails off, "Well then again, sumptuary..."

Norrig says to Theia, "Cloaks and hoods are legal to wear anywhere"

Calanthe queries, "What about a bribe option for cloaked purchasing?"

Giles trails off, "You have to take them off around nobles, I guess, but yeah..."

Norrig claims to Theia, "Just rude at some contexts"

Theia says, "Yea. But you're required to reveal yourself when told to by a knight"

Norrig states to Theia, "Then kill him"

Theia states, "Or nobility for that matter"

Norrig grins.

Calanthe says, "Haggle could still work but put a little silver across the counter if you want to buy from an NPC without showing your face."

Temi wonders, "Okay!  Continuing on then.  Calanthe, you had something?"

Brunella says to Calanthe, "I like it."

Arkenn states, "Me too"

Arkenn says, "Better Mercantilism and you get to pay less for bribery."

Calanthe claims, "Just a quick request regarding letters, not directed at any one person. Please consider writing back to people who write you as soon as you can, even if it's just "I got your letter"."

Yeto claims, "Sounds like a charisma thing, not mercantilism"

Norrig nods at Calanthe.

Norrig claims, "I'm guilty of this"

Norrig claims, "I do get a stupid amount of letters"

Arkenn exclaims, "I don't! :D"

Temi grins.

Temi claims, "Sounds like guildleader problems."

Theia says, "I... may have like 20 or so sitting in a box somewhere."

Prisca nods in agreement with Temi.

Theia coughs.

Calanthe states, "I've been on both ends, I know it's easy to get buried but I also know it's discouraging if you're waiting on responses to move forward with things."

Temi claims, "But yes, please write back to your peoples!  They will appreciate it."

Calanthe nods.

Norrig states, "Also please if you kiss with rouge the letters you send me, don't kiss over the text"

Norrig nods.

Temi claims to Norrig, "That was probably just more XOXOXOXOs."

Theia trails off, "Norrig... I'll ansi the hell out of a letter for you"

Prisca states, "Maybe get two containers, one for mail you've seen to or that doesn't need a reply, one for mail you haven't seen to yet"

Azarial says, "Sptitz with pefume instead"

Theia says, "In Rouge"

Temi questions, "Okay, good reminder to folks!  Norrig, you had something?"

Theia asks, "So... a Read and Unread pile Prisca?"

Prisca nods at Theia.

Arkenn trails off, "Again... no mail, no problem"

Arkenn cackles.

Prisca says to Theia, "Basically."

Theia defaults everything into the 'Read' folder... forgets to read it. >_>

Taunya

Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:39 pm

Norrig folds his thick arms and furrows his manicured brow, saying: "I have been discussing code with Az and we agreed that the possibility of abusing skill pooling for skills you aren't going to learn is troubling. It is theoretically possible to learn all skills in the game if you gain 1 rank in each. There have been characters in the past who came out of chargen with this, 1 rank in each skill at least, sans guild skills. This is a bit more annoying regarding languages as 36 ranks allow for a fair amount of communication."

"A possible solution, though likely an unpopular one, would be to establish a maximum for XP that you can attain. A high max, but a max. I do dislike that some people can do everything (I try not to learn a new skill if I'm not going to, well, learn it) and many skills allow a great deal of stuff to be achieved at rank 36."

"Or perhaps staff can create a new level of learn slots for the 0-36 gap. A lot of those. But when they run out you can't learn new skills."

Arkenn trails off, "I am... personally against that for... both those..."

Temi states, "I'm not opposed, though I wouldn't want to be in between the opposed people and the one proposingit."

Arkenn claims, "Capping the XP feels like there's an End to an account. High max or not."

Norrig claims to Temi, "The burdens of leadership ;)"

Temi states, "I'd probably lean more towards the learn slots than the total xp cap"

Norrig nods.

Giles agrees.

Arkenn trails off, "As for the learning... We already have code for learning skills and those with low wis and int already get limited learn slots to compensate"

Prisca nods at Arkenn.

Edwin states, "I'm against either thing. Just because... let's say I hang out and play one dude for eight years."

Azarial says, "....oh lord.  they;re going to fix grandma's tv."

Norrig claims, "Ark That does not seem to affect people minmaxing all skills at 36"

Azarial may go afk at the drop of a hat

Arkenn states, "Being 36 in a skill means you are... I do believe the exact term is."

Arkenn says, "Jack of All Trades Master of None"

Arkenn says, "Or in TI's case"

Arkenn finishes abruptly, "Jack of All Trades - Master of Few"

Azarial claims, "With the complaints over the years, 36 is a biut more competent than it prolly ought be"

Edwin states, "I mean, there are a ton of peope who speak three four five languages or more."

Brunella states, "So lower 36' competency a little. Easy peasy."

Theia claims, "Gonna throw this out there. Theia was brought up with a proper gentrywoman education and speaks all languages except for Daravi at least a bit."

Theia says, "This would limit me from literally being a bookworm who studies languages."

Temi claims, "I don't think speaking all the languages is necessarily out of theme for some concepts"

Edwin states, "Neither do I"

Prisca nods in agreement.

Theia says, "So I am far from agreeing with this idea. I'm quite opposed to it."

Calanthe claims, "I don't think it will be easy to decide as a game what's reasonable for someone to know or not know based on their character concept and how that evolves over time."

Edwin claims, "In the same way as I don't think that having a ton of skills at proficient is bad either"

Temi states, "But all the languages, all the weapons, all the defenses, and foraging, fishing and riding to boot... makes some less sense.  But it can be hard to pick what the right number is."

Edwin states, "Let's say I'm like... playing a ne'er do well."

Arkenn states, "I've gone back to CG multiple times to rejig my concept, lowering skills that I originally though would be used a lot, and raising others which I didn't think I would use at all because it balances out."

Edwin claims, "Who just bounces around from trade to trade."

Edwin claims, "Or w/e"

Norrig trails off to Theia, "Speaking all languages as background is excellent... use learn slots for it"

Calanthe claims, "The restriction on skills over 36 based on stats has been helpful for curbing Masters of All. I'm not entirely opposed to having a limit of 36 skills too then open season on everything else being 15 or whatever."

Norrig claims, "Crafting can do a lot of stuff aft 36 for instance"

Theia claims, "Yea. It can. Check Jewelry for instance. IT has I think 5 pages of things it can make."

Theia says, "The first 2 are before 36 and aren't that special"

Theia claims, "The last 3 are post 36 and are a LOT more special"

Brunella says, "Not gonna lie: a lot of my gruffer characters take on multiple languages from creation just so I can make them swear with expletives from across the duchies. "

Calanthe asks, "What is this trying to fix though?"

Temi grins at Brunella.

Calanthe questions, "People knowing everything? It's too hard to be special at specific skills because too many people have it?"

Edwin says, "Universal competance is the complaint."

Norrig states to Calanthe, "Yeah like cooking"

Temi says, "I do think there's less issue with the learn slots, and that's helped with a lot of the issue"

Calanthe nods at Temi.

Norrig says to Calanthe, "You can do like half the recipes in the game at 36"

Norrig claims to Temi, "Learn slots are great"

Theia says, "I don't know what it's trying to fix... but literally telling someone "Look. I know you put in a lot of time into the game and collected a buttload of XP... but you're still not allowed to be a Jack of All Trades my man. Sorry.""

Edwin says, "That's the part that bugs me."

Edwin claims, "If you are putting the work in."

Edwin trails off, "You shouldn't have to like..."

Edwin claims, "Not be good at stuff."

Theia muses, "You put in the work, you get the pay out. If you start limited XP or what you can learn with it... eh?"

Temi states, "It doesn't sound like there's a lot of support for limiting it further, though.  I'm not hearing a lot of examples of actual problems now"

Edwin claims, "Like for example."

Theia claims, "If someone wants to get 36 with all skills. Let them spend the 6k'ish XP it takes to get them all to max."

Norrig states, "It hinders people who invest in certain archetypes"

Norrig says, "Again, for example, I can do a lot with husbandry, cooking, fishing, swimming, foraging at 36, so I never need to hire people for that"

Edwin states, "I'm playing a swordsman. Who then takes up calligraphy. I can get that to 36 because I loaded up my learn slots with combat styles and defenses."

Theia says, "When they literally master all skills, adept all skills, grandmaster 3 skills to 75 and hit all other skills to 36"

Theia states, "Lemme know"

Edwin claims, "But I can still learn artwork to a passable level."

Edwin trails off, "Because... people CAn do that"

Theia states, "Btw it'll take a really long time and take over a million XP."

Theia queries, "So... eh?"

Norrig claims, "I've said my piece."

Temi states, "Okay, we're over on time and I know people have events today, so.. one last anonymous topic."

Calanthe states, "Thanks for suggesting it, Norrig. I hope all the nays aren't oppressive."

Temi states, "I'd like to float the idea of attaching false whois info to courier aliases, making it trickier for people to OOCly determine whether they actually dealing with an alias or not. Right now, it seems like the whois command can easily make that determination with a few quick keystrokes."

Theia says, "I've argued mine against it. I don't like the suggestion. But you were more than ok with it."

Prisca trails off, "Hmm..."

Theia states, "I... actually like that idea."

Theia states, "A lot."

Prisca says, "That might be handy, yeah."

Norrig wonders to Temi, "I'm sorry can you ellaborate?"

Theia states, "As it is you need to make sure the ID isn't taken when you make an alias"

Calanthe questions, "Is that going to cause too much extra staff work?"

Theia states, "If it is, you can't make it."

Yeto says, "Seems like a lot of wasted space"

Temi claims, "I cannot.  That was the idea proposed"

Edwin claims, "It's whatever. I wasn't trying to be rude."

Norrig says, "I don't get it."

Prisca claims to Norrig, "Make 'whois alias' work with mail aliases"

Prisca says to Norrig, "With info you can set"

Calanthe claims, "I'm not against the idea of being able to build more elaborate, false personas, but I feel like maybe that is waiting for disguise code and should probably be moderated somehow so we're all not puppeting 20 extra secret identities."

Norrig states, "This is likely due to the fact I don't know what whois alias is."

Arkenn claims, "Norrig. Example: Thief A says "I'm Jimmy." You type 'whois Jimmy' and see there is no Jimmy."

Temi nods.

Arkenn states, "This means OOCly you know you're dealing with an alias"

Norrig says, "I suck at TI."

Norrig laughs.

Prisca claims to Norrig, "Like 'whois prisca' could work for a non-coded name like 'whois taunya'"

Temi trails off, "I do sort of like the idea... but I worry it would be pretty involved when we could get more bang out of other things"

Prisca nods in agreement with Temi.

Temi muses to Azarial, "About to tell us how involved that would be?"

Arkenn trails off, "Instead... Add a whois option to a Courier alias to tag the name in and allow for customization a bit with it"

Prisca states, "I think it's a neat idea, but perhaps not a priority."

Azarial wonders, "Pardon?"

Azarial was watchig the smoke test

Arkenn says, "I'm in favor of it. Sounds cool."

Brunella states, "Huh. it could default with each alias."

Arkenn states, "I'll repeat the topic for Az. "

Arkenn states, "Temi states, "I'd like to float the idea of attaching false whois info to courier aliases, making it trickier for people to OOCly determine whether they actually dealing with an alias or not. Right now, it seems like the whois command can easily make that determination with a few quick keystrokes.""

Azarial states, "Whois hangs off the master list.  if you don;t exist, you don;t get a whois."

Temi nods.

Temi wonders, "How hard would it be to adjust that?  Pretty involved, then?"

Arkenn states, "There are players who liquidated on the whois list though"

Azarial claims, "Not everyone gets a mail profile.  the default is uneditable."

Azarial claims, "They have not been purged from the master list yet."

Temi claims, "Sounds a bit like a non-starter, I'm afraid, folks."

Prisca claims, "This brings to mind a suggestion, but perhaps it should wait until next week."

Temi nods.

Edwin states, "Hnnng"

Temi wonders, "Likely should be sending people back, if there's nothing else?"

Arkenn exclaims, "Thanks for the hard work guys!"

Brunella muses, "Jolly good show, folks. Same time next week?"

Norrig bows.

Prisca waves.

Theia declares, "<3 Temi and Az!"

Calanthe declares, "We're attempting a little event in about 30!"

Brunella waves.

Temi nods at Brunella.

Theia exclaims, "<3 Temi and Az! (fix)"