How to Create a Character

A place to find maps, walkthroughs, and other assistance on how to play TI Legacy. Contributers will earn Quest Points in game!

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:47 am

Love the ideas, and thanks for sharing, Klapman!

Silrie

Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:36 pm

All right, so, I like this topic, so here's my little bit of long-winded babble.

When I create a character, I begin with a basic concept. Sometimes, it fails, but I can usually pinpoint that when it does fail, my concept didn't feel strong enough, even from the outset. My most successful character, Silrie, began with a very basic concept.

Silrie has just escaped from nearly four years of slavery into a massive capital she doesn't understand. She can't speak the language, she doesn't trust the people and she refuses to listen to anyone, reveling in her newfound freedom.

I took that and ran with it. It was just deep enough to offer loads of internal conflict while being simple enough not to lock me in a path I couldn't break free of should I find it wasn't working for me.

For newbies, I will also tell you this. Let your confusion have its time in the sun. I cannot tell you just how much of Silrie's growth and development was triggered by me unknowingly stumbling into accidentally thematic situations. Silrie starts yelling at a noble in triage. Oops. At that time, I was completely unaware that she could get whipped for that, as it was difficult for me to memorize every helpfile I'd read. Silrie speaks up against a whipping! Unthematic, but hey, the savage doesn't know any better! Silrie saw a shadow and thought she was going to burn for seeing it. Oh, everyone can see shadows? Okay then! Silrie's walking around the city in breeches, just as happy as you please. Wait, females have to wear dresses? I don't even know how to walk in one, but fine, if you say so.

Every one of these things was an honest mistake on my part, but it triggered rp and really rounded her out as a character. Her growth has felt so natural, and that is part of just why I love her so much. Even now, years after she's arrived in Lithmore, as I approach my first year of playing TI, she is still growing. Still learning. Still finding inner conflict. Conflict can resolve. It can change. But as Dice says, there should always be something that takes its place. Sil's had little conflicts and she's had debilitatingly painful conflict. There is always a central core of conflict, but the ones which take the stage vary from time to time as she grows, learns and becomes even more of a well-rounded character.

So, if you're new, read help files, yes, but don't be upset if you make a blunder and forget something. It might just wind up shaping you in ways you could never have expected.

Applesauce

Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:59 am

Klapman wrote:It's already been suggested in the thread, but I'd like to further emphasize the fact that support characters can, in fact, be extremely fun to play. ... [W]hy not just make a one note character? A bitter drunk, a womanizing buffoon, a clueless youth, tons of well-worn characters like this can be tossed into any RP like a big stone, shaking things up with their arrival. In fact, this is how most of my characters began in the first place, as temporary little placeholders eventually made real characters just by RP itself. It can be very fun and rewarding.
Agree 100%.

My current main started out with the simple idea "what about a super-gross lecherous Southie butcher? OH AND WITH ONE LEG" and he ended up quickly becoming my most entertaining character ever in what must be 15 or 16 years of TI now. Actually the more importance and substance he got, the less fun he became to play, and I had to get back to the "doesn't matter" root of the character to really enjoy him again.

Importance leads to responsibility, and responsibility leads to drama or other not-fun stuff. Just be about some bullshit and see what fun occurs because of that.

BattleJenkins

Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:11 pm

Also agree! Galen started out as pretty solidly as 'support' or 'background' character - a tiny, effete innkeeper's son who existed primarily to chirp about on the fringes of tavern scenes - and those were the days I had the most fun with him. Rather than make your character terribly deep and complicated, making them entertaining but one-note can take you so much farther - and the depth and complication will come on its own over time.

• Information