How to find Juicy RP

A place to find maps, walkthroughs, and other assistance on how to play TI Legacy. Contributers will earn Quest Points in game!

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:59 am

I thought about this and am considering writing another article to help new players get involved. Here's a brief outline of it, and I'd love some feedback:

HOW TO FIND JUICY RP ON AN RPI

1. Create the type of character that would be involved in juicy RP, and play them!
- The behaviors of these characters will attract juicy RP.
- Include seeking the appropriate guilds
- Include interviewing others subtly to find out if they're potential allies, etc
- Begin putting out feelers for plot (ie, if you want to overthrow the government, ask someone what they think about it and get a debate on so you know if they're a potential ally)

2. Be goal oriented.
- Don't wait for other people to bring you their plots, they won't until they trust you.
- Prove you're the right person for others to include in juicy RP by showing them yours.

3. Observe the lay of the land and get to know the challenge.
- Get to know who is who, try to meet them.
- Determine who is important to succeed at your target goal.

4. Build relationships (seek guilds, make allies, etc)
- Doing the first few steps should have someone well on their way here, but it cannot be emphasized enough that stuff happens on RP games through social interaction with others. So, get social, make friends and enemies, etc.

5. Sell the benefit of your ideas to your key helpers.
- Bring people to the table to help you with your juicy plot by showing them what's in it for them.

6. Plan
- manage risk by building escape routes and options into your goal
- avoid planning paralysis by setting small goals and moving the RP forward constantly instead of making a big goal (Topple the government!) with no clear path to success

7. Handle adversity
- Be prepared for trouble - the-powers-that-be will be against you because, well, the status quo has them in power, so why would they change anything or be accepting of change? They'll fight tooth and nail, and they ARE the-powers-that-be..
- Make peace with the possibility of losing your investment in your character before embarking on the RP, maybe approach it with excitement. This is RP afterall, which is why we play, head and shoulders above any XP earned, etc.

Do you agree/disagree? Any thoughts or refinements?

Sephone

Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:08 am

I completely agree with this. The one thing I would add is that people shouldn't be afraid of characters dying. Yeah, it kinda sucks, but each death is an opportunity to start another, really awesome story.

Make sure that when you start your story, you do it in an inclusive way that creates fun for other people, also. If you're going to create a bad/evil character, don't get upset when people are smart enough to figure it out and you end up burned/killed. If you're going to make that kind of character, your life span is going to be reduced to a matter of months, maybe even weeks, and I've seen one guy last just a couple of days.

At the end of the day, we're all here to have fun. No one is really out to get YOU, it's about your character.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:58 pm

Mathematically, going out to an execution or burning is far more valuable a way to go out than dying at the hands of a criminal, etc. Players who are burned or executed receive 90% of their spent RPxp investment back, whilst most players will receive a return of only 50%. This is to reduce the pain of losing one's character investment when one is a plot driver.

wimple

Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:04 am

I think I'd add a number 8: Start Something.

You don't have to be in a guild or part of a functioning group to throw a kink in things. Attract RP to yourself by starting something. There are ALL sorts of availabilities and options via Roster that aren't being taken advantage of. Want a shady character? We have gambling houses, massage parlors, brothels, shady taverns (with hidden extras), pawn shops, and so forth JUST WAITING for someone take over them. Build it and be available for RP there and people will come. Goody two-shoes? We have almshouses, orphanages, churches in disrepair, and all sorts of other good works that can be done. Taking over any of these non-guild organizations and building them up can give you considerable IG clout depending on the institution and what you do with it, and also connect you to lots of important PCs and guilds.

There are lots of other non-guild options for independent contractors (doctors, midwives, lawyers, bankers, etc.) that are rarely taken advantage of, but when someone comes in and promotes it people are generally successful. Fill a niche and people will (generally) respond.

• Information