Can't see @eat

Ideas that have been discussed, approved, and are awaiting implementation.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Buzz K[ir]ill

Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:45 pm

I'm not sure if this is a bug or intentional, but when I eat something with a custom @eat extra desc, everyone else can see the special "emote" but me. It seems like if my character is eating something in a certain way, I should be privy to that information -- as it's basically a forced emote.

Can the @eat please display to the person doing the eating?

Taunya

Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:19 pm

@others when you use an item is likewise affected by this.

Only problem I see with it displaying the @eat or the @others to the one who eats or uses things, is it might get a little spammy. Usually the items include the same action text in the @taste and @self if they're on the @eat or @others, so it'll say the same thing twice. I don't think that convention is written down anywhere though, so some player-crafted food might not follow it.

Meanwhile, you can see the @eat and @others with a sufficient level of appraise before you eat/use an item.

Buzz K[ir]ill

Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:47 pm

I don't see why I shouldn't be able to see the custom @eat message in place of the normal one -- or have the normal line printed beneath the custom one. Seems like a simple enough thing to me. What am I missing? @eat is different from @self and @others.

I have 74 ranks in mercantilism, and I don't see an @eat message when I appraise. Though, I don't see how that is really relevant to the issue at hand. No one should have to max out a skill to know that they are eating an item in a certain way that they didn't emote themselves.

(Not really a fan of forced food emotes in general, tbh. They add flavor, sure, but if they're describing my character acting in a way that he wouldn't, and the game isn't even telling me about it, I get cranky.)

Taunya

Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:01 pm

I agree with you, I was just mentioning that food items should already have the @eat message in @taste, which may lead to some spamminess if it's implemented. But then, same thing often happens with messengers' message and room, so it may not be that big of a deal.

I can't test at the moment, but if the @eat isn't showing up with appraise, that's likely a bug. @taste, @self, and @others do.

@taste and @eat are implemented the same way as @self and @others. One is a message you see, the other is the message others see. If you include an action in the @eat, you should include that action in the @taste.

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:41 pm

I've always imagined that @taste is describing the flavor of something and @eat is (or should) describe things like it crunching etc.

Perhaps staff could clarify the intent to see if code needs fixing or more player use of it does?

Buzz K[ir]ill

Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:20 pm

Ahh, I get you, Taunya. Yeah, I don't think @taste is being used to describe the act of eating. It may be implemented similar to @self/@others, but the things being described are different, as are the words used -- one refers to an action, the other to flavor.

Since the game is pretty much all in third person now, @eat should simply display to everyone, including the person using the eat command. @taste can still be for details like flavor, that only the person eating would know. That's how I think it should work, anyway.

Taunya

Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:21 pm

Perhaps @eat should just be phased out. It doesn't replace the normal eat emote, just sticks something under it which may or may not make sense for the situation.

order dog eat carrot chows down on the carrots.
A large reddish-brown and white alpine mastiff chows down on the carrots
A large reddish-brown and white alpine mastiff spears a chunk of carrot with a fork and brings it to her
mouth.

(without custom emote)
order dog eat carrot
A large reddish-brown and white alpine mastiff eats a serving of dilled and buttered carrots.
A large reddish-brown and white alpine mastiff spears a chunk of carrot with a fork and brings it to her
mouth.

Buzz K[ir]ill

Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:35 pm

Honestly, that would be my preference, to phase it out. I've seen it force NPC pets and other PCs to act in all kinds of awkward ways incongruent with the scene at hand -- sometimes in ways that are OOCly funny, but almost always immersion-breaking.

• Information