Carriage and PHOME Expansion

Ideas that have been discussed, approved, and are awaiting implementation.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

chronodbu

Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:08 pm

The carriage system is really cool!

I'd like to propose one addition to it - Making it so if you're Gentry or Noble class, you can link your home to the carriage locations by purchasing a room specifically tagged for it. This could be the room just outside of the the gates, or for example the 'driveway' of sorts that comes up at the door.

Would be a neat way to ride in style for those Nobles who live north of the city or gentry who happen to have the coinage to afford such extravagent additions to their repertoire such as a carriage.

Taunya

Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:33 pm

I tried asking if players could purchase carriage destinations for their shops, and was told that it'd be too difficult to keep up to date, as the turnover of privately-held shops and such is too high. That'd likely apply to phomes as well.

But I do like the idea of privately-owned carriage drivers for a one-way trip from your shop/phome to various locations. Perhaps 500 silver for the NPC, 500 for the carriage mobjob with a single destination, and maybe 125 silver per additional destination, same cost as a one-way exit?

Niamh
Discord Handle: Niamh#3824

Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:58 pm

Taunya wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:33 pm
I tried asking if players could purchase carriage destinations for their shops, and was told that it'd be too difficult to keep up to date, as the turnover of privately-held shops and such is too high. That'd likely apply to phomes as well.

But I do like the idea of privately-owned carriage drivers for a one-way trip from your shop/phome to various locations. Perhaps 500 silver for the NPC, 500 for the carriage mobjob with a single destination, and maybe 125 silver per additional destination, same cost as a one-way exit?
What Taunya said. It's not a terrible thought by any means, it'd just be kind of taxing for me as an individual to keep the destinations and scripts up to date with locations that tend to be temporary, even if they're kinda... long-term temporary.

Privately-owned drivers is an interesting concept, though I think retainers can't hold scripts for code-safety reasons. I'll check into it and do some pondering.

Niamh
Discord Handle: Niamh#3824

Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:00 pm

... Wait, are we talking a carriage driver on the grounds of a phome that's sentinel, rather than a moving retainer/pet?

EDIT: Okay so: Code-wise, retainers/pets can't hold scripts; it gets too messy and has too much potential for loops, spam, and other undesirable shenanigans. This also applies to shops and other special things that normal mobs can have but retainers/pets can't. However, there is already a phome script that can be purchased for a mobile shop, using a "follow" and "follow self" script with spoken triggers - the shopkeeper isn't a retainer, but can use scripts to replicate some retainer-esque functions.

That set-up would be a handy way of handling carriage drivers, if the idea is to have a mobile carriage following you around that you can use at cost from any outdoor room. Maybe as an option, with most drivers being sentinel parts of a phome like a guard or shopkeeper.

Taunya

Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:02 pm

My suggestion was just as a NPC, not a retainer. Though there is the follow/nofollow script that could be added on, if someone wanted to take them with them.

chronodbu

Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:04 pm

That could be interesting. Just making a mobprog where it's the NPC that essentially is a single area carriage driver.

You buy the mob for your estate and talk to them when you want them to take you to a pre-determined destination which would likely just be one of the current carriage locations?

• Information