Replacing Aides with Volunteers?

Ideas that have been discussed, approved, and are awaiting implementation.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Niamh
Discord Handle: Niamh#3824

Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:44 am

Something that could be cool, either for volunteers or just for everybody:

* Being able to see on where if a cyan player is at the location. Maybe a cyan-colored asterisk beside the player count to signify there's a cyan there, visible, and seeking RP.

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:50 am

Niamh wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:44 am
Something that could be cool, either for volunteers or just for everybody:

* Being able to see on where if a cyan player is at the location. Maybe a cyan-colored asterisk beside the player count to signify there's a cyan there, visible, and seeking RP.
That's a neat idea, and something I'm surprised isn't already in the game.
Lurks the Forums

Taunya

Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:59 am

I like that idea. Would be great to know where to get my cyan fix.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:01 am

The reason it's not there yet is that with the low volume of cyans comparatively, it feels a bit like just telling the pbase where to find a specific player. I'm not sure how troubling that is or isn't when it comes to cyans, however.

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:25 am

That said, we provide RPxp bonuses for RPing with cyans, and it seems this works, but a lot of cyans report that their RP drops off after they achieve the normal status.
I wonder if after that point people assume people "get it" and are situated enough to understand things to naturally find RP on their own. (IE, that people become more reactionary to folks seeking them out versus more proactive about it, assuming that if/when people need/want them, they'll seek them?)

Perhaps something keen might be a toggle people could put up that flags their name a non-cyan color where they are no longer cyan (IE don't need technical help etc) but might still need/like help getting RP. Some people do this with their Who title. Maybe that could be mentioned in the Who title helpfile?

Temi

Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:14 am

Kinaed wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:01 am
The reason it's not there yet is that with the low volume of cyans comparatively, it feels a bit like just telling the pbase where to find a specific player. I'm not sure how troubling that is or isn't when it comes to cyans, however.
We actually do have where cyan now.

The_Last_Good_Dragon

Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:54 am

Kinaed wrote: I wonder if we're not bridging that gap with a long enough cyan period, and if there are other ways to make them attractive to RP with beyond just an RPxp bonus.
I definitely see this happening as well, and I know a few players have made comments about how they wish they were still cyan when they are very new to the game. I think an option to maybe extend the cyan period a little bit longer, or a more helpful file to encourage players certain ways to take more of finding RP onto themselves, could help. When you're brand new and literally know nobody on any level, and don't really know theme, it can be quickly flustering to try to find a consistent thread of RP. Especially when low-level guild characters are often given so little inclusion into broader things, which is something I'm actively trying to work on within the Order — that is, inviting pages into situations that they might not always have been invited into. Though my online time and other things I'm wanting to get done, and the fact that I don't have active clergy atm, are counter-manding that :-(

I certainly love the idea of aides overall; I wish more players did a bit more to go out of their way to include cyans into their RP, and wish I was conscientious enough to do it more actively as well. I don't think any further bonus for RPing with cyans is necessary — I think most players would agree that they try to be inclusive not for the RPXP bonus, but for the hope of keeping that cyan around!
~~ Team Farra'n'Stuff. ~~

LonelyNeptune

Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:18 pm

I actually feel that the less cyans are around, the more important it is to have experienced players playing with them. When I was new, I would mainly RP with other cyans, because they were the ones RPing in public spaces. Less cyans usually meant less RP.

I would suggest increasing the cyan period for a player's first character. You burn through your first 50 hours of RP very quickly. After I left cyan, I had an understanding of how to navigate the city, find RP, and emote. That was pretty much it. A lot of the more complex parts of the game eluded me for months and months. And I definitely felt that my lack of game knowledge was exploited by certain players. A little extra time in cyan would allow first-timers to learn the game better before they lose their protection.

The_Last_Good_Dragon

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:19 am

LonelyNeptune wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:18 pm
I would suggest increasing the cyan period for a player's first character. You burn through your first 50 hours of RP very quickly. After I left cyan, I had an understanding of how to navigate the city, find RP, and emote. That was pretty much it. A lot of the more complex parts of the game eluded me for months and months. And I definitely felt that my lack of game knowledge was exploited by certain players. A little extra time in cyan would allow first-timers to learn the game better before they lose their protection.
I am significantly on-board with this idea.
~~ Team Farra'n'Stuff. ~~

Taunya

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:41 am

Temi wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:14 am
We actually do have where cyan now.
I totally forgot this was a thing. Handy! But might still be nicer to roll it into one to make it more visible.

• Information