Diet + Doctors Save v. Infrastructure

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Smithers

Tue May 29, 2018 4:59 am

What about a simple, temporary bonus to MV recovery when you eat and/or visit a doctor?

To further incentivize consuming edible items, let consumption of food or drink modify the rate at which a character gains MV.

For example, let's say if I eat a common food or drink, I'll enjoy a tiny boost to mv recovery for 2-3 RL hours, including mv recovery while standing (vs sitting/resting sleeping). Gourmet food or drink will provide a slightly better boost.

In the same vein, add a small mv boost for a RL week if a physician character has code treated your character (alternatively, just attach it to, like, a 'balance' command to symbolize you've gotten your humors balanced, in the event that you don't have something code-treatable for them to muck with).

These don't have to be huge improvements but I think they're reasonable ways to combat frequent low Infrastructure penalties while reinforcing basic theme.

Taunya

Tue May 29, 2018 5:40 am

I wouldn't mind the RP opportunity for a little preventative medicine.

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Tue May 29, 2018 9:41 am

While I do like the idea of the foods helping restore mv faster, I think it would be better for high-tier foods, and would be an incentive to buy such.

As for the doctors bit... I'm a little more sketchy about that, especially if we are referencing the balancing of humors as the reason behind the increase. Glances at Bloodletting as the most popular/stereotypical humor balancing procedure Yeah, I just don't think it would make any kind of thematic sense. Then again TI's medicine is already more advanced than is reasonable for the time period it's in.

Maybe instead a pill or tonic physicians could make that would provide a similar effect? "Come get your Tuborin Red Elixir! Guaranteed to give you the boost of 16 Bull sharks!"
Lurks the Forums

The_Last_Good_Dragon

Tue May 29, 2018 12:01 pm

I'm not sure that I like either of these; I do know that I'm not the biggest fan of doctor check-ups giving lingering code benefits as it simply doesn't seem to much make sense. Having been to many doctors I can attest that I certainly feel no more energetic after them, lol. — in fact, the blood-drawing process would probably have the opposite effect on peppiness (which would obviously be terrible if it were coded in).

The movement increase when consuming some tonic or special food might be alright in my mind, but seems like the sort of thing herbalism should cover rather than cooking.
~~ Team Farra'n'Stuff. ~~

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Tue May 29, 2018 12:10 pm

I'm not sure that I'd propose it affecting MV values, however, getting a checkup of some kind having a weekly/biweekly bonus like the cnote or mail thing could be cool.

wimple

Tue May 29, 2018 12:47 pm

There are already herbalism/medicine items that boost players CON and DEX... I suppose those could start to be marketed after such a fashion, but can't remember the side effects for everything.

• Information