Backstab -> Ambush

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Taunya

Mon May 21, 2018 10:19 pm

Since backstab is being worked on, could it be changed to 'Ambush' and usable with ranged weapons as well as melee?

Could prefix the normal combat command with ambush, which will add the attack bonus to the attack if successful/penalty if it fails. This should give more flexibility.

ambush attack (target) (location) (emote)
ambush dual (target) (location) (emote)
ambush throw (target) (location) (emote)
ambush throwdual (target) (location) (emote)
ambush fire (target) (location) (emote)
ambush mattack (dunno syntax)

Geras

Tue May 22, 2018 12:52 pm

Taunya wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 10:19 pm
Since backstab is being worked on, could it be changed to 'Ambush' and usable with ranged weapons as well as melee?

Could prefix the normal combat command with ambush, which will add the attack bonus to the attack if successful/penalty if it fails. This should give more flexibility.

ambush attack (target) (location) (emote)
ambush dual (target) (location) (emote)
ambush throw (target) (location) (emote)
ambush throwdual (target) (location) (emote)
ambush fire (target) (location) (emote)
ambush mattack (dunno syntax)
Mattack syntax is the same as the others. I like this idea a lot.

Taunya

Wed May 23, 2018 1:02 am

My suggestion does lose the automatic attacking the most vulnerable location part, but perhaps pointing out unarmored/damaged armor locations on someone could be rolled into a new command to size someone up. I'll post an idea on that after giving it some thought.

The_Last_Good_Dragon

Wed May 23, 2018 3:33 pm

I'm honestly not sure that I like this. Attacking First already gives a meaningful advantage in combat; attacking someone at range also confers significant advantages as you're probably getting multiple attacks off at once before the hits land.

I believe the general thought of using Backstab — which is currently disabled — with a dagger is that a dagger, in a pound-for-pound fight, will lose out to heavier, larger weapons. I'm not sure if this is reflected by code, but if not then perhaps that's the change to make. If anything, ambush could be given to thoso with master-levels in the sneak skill, though even still I'm not sure how fun it'd be all-around.
~~ Team Farra'n'Stuff. ~~

• Information