Example Item for Cooking Crafts

Ideas that have been discussed, approved, and are awaiting implementation.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

FiniteAviary

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:00 pm

I don't mean this idea to be accusatory, so please do not take anything I say in here personally! :)

I've noticed a lot of cooking recipes get tooled to be much higher class versions of themselves. While I understand that it is not fun to make peasant food, I think many versions of 'simple' dishes are tooled in a way almost indistinguishable from their 'gourmet' counterparts. Example: adding vanilla to the description of a simple cake.

To help bring lower-skill (lower-class?) recipes back in line with crafting guidelines, would it be possible to add an example or two to the notes of the craft recipe?

Example (proposed addition in italics):

Name : (210) Simple Cake
Known recipe
Notes: A simple sweet baked good with simple, non-exotic flavorings. A simple apple sweet bread, a dense honey loaf, a maple-glazed walnut cake.
Skill: Cooking
Ranks required: 30
Steps taken : 5
Energy spent : 2 (10 total)
Consumed:
1x a large white, speckled egg.
OR 1x a brown egg.
OR 1x a plump brown egg speckled with darker spots.
1x a small crock of honey.
OR 1x a small pail of maple syrup.
1x a handful of flour.
Produced:
1x a simple cake.
Other required components:
1x a wooden spoon with a long leather-wrapped handle.
1x a covered earthenware pot.
1x a modest, crackling campfire.
OR 1x a brick-lined hearth.

While this idea might be cumbersome to institute, I think it will go a long way towards helping newer players have confidence in tooling recipes and also limiting the gentrification of 'simple' recipes.

Snail Cadet

Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:46 am

Personally I like this idea, it sounds like it wouldn't be particularly difficult to implement, and having tooling guidelines is always handy.

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:33 am

I feel like this will always be an issue because different people also have different ideas of what is "Gourmet" and what is "Peasant". Though I do think a general rule of thumb should be not to include spices that if You do not have access to codely. This could be Vanilla, Cinnamon, aka the grown spices, that you shouldn't describe the final dish as having such spices. This could apply to any item really.

For example I once made chocolates that had a raspberry jam filling. It was the gourmet level. However while the recipe doesn't call for Jam, I made sure that I actually had a coded jar of jam when I made the items. I can't remember if I junked it afterwards or not, but the primary focus was I had the item.
Lurks the Forums

• Information