Resources System Improvements

Ideas that have been discussed, approved, and are awaiting implementation.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Andruid

Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:33 pm

While outside of the resource POLCA, it's possible to use resource list [category] to view categories and their contents. Within the POLCA, however, the resource command is tied to choosing the resource (by number, which isn't immediately obvious), and the only way to view resources and categories is by using totally different commands, ? categories and ? resource <category>. While I appreciate the ability to view resources outside the POLCA, this is all very confusing, probably even more so to newer players.

Here's my suggestions for making this system more intuitive and easier to use:

Make resource list and resource list <category> function the same whether you're in the POLCA or not. If the user inputs a number, then plug that into the resource field, if they input a string, then match to see if the string is 'list' and provide the correct output from there.

If this is not possible, then I suggest adding taglines to the end of these lists that say something like, "To view this list of categories while in the resource editor, type ? categories." or something -- most new players have no idea what a POLCA is or why those commands would be separate/different in the syntax.

Also, while in the POLCA, make it clearer what kind of input is required and what commands may be used:

Code: Select all

Category : None. Use ? category to view available categories. <---- like this
Resource : None. Use ? resource <category> to view items in a category, then resource # to select. <----- and this
Percent  : 100%
Asset    : No template set
RPXP Cost: 0

Description: (null)

Type ? categories to view available categories and ? resource <category> to see items in a category. <---- or something like this
Type resource # to select a resource from one of the available categories. <----- and this
Type 'purchase' to purchase this resource or type 'cancel' to abort.
We have some excellent helpfiles, and while I do appreciate the work that has gone into them, these systems are complicated, intimidating, and technical. The more intuitive and helpful the actual system is, the more likely players will use it and stick with it. I'm especially worried about new players getting bogged down by the massive amount of reading required just to understand assets and resources, let alone use these systems properly.

• Information