Searching a Room

Ideas that have been discussed, approved, and are awaiting implementation.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Lei
Discord Handle: Lei#3876

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:52 am

Every now and then I find myself in a position where I'd like to search a room to see if anybody's hiding out behind the curtain or under the bed. Legit, right? I think so. Last night before bed, I searched a certain room in preparation for a scene. That was around 1am. Now, here I am again, logging back in on a different IC day, about 8 RL hours later, and I'm setting up for another potential scene in the same room. When I go to search it, I get this message:

Code: Select all

> search
<Name> has already searched this room and found everything she can.
This seems off to me.

I understand that issues can arise from spamming the search command, but I think some tweaking is in order here. Can this code mechanic be revisited? 8 RL hours between room sweeps seems excessive.
Old As Dirt

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:07 pm

Is this per account or by room? Could you ask someone else to peek it over during that timer? Or does that prevent anyone from doing so?

Puciek

Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:11 pm

Why do you, ICly, even think that someone is hiding there in the first place that you want to comb and search the entire room? OOCLy we know that people can sneak in, but ICly what tipped you off that in the day suddenly the room is riddled with spies?

Becuase without IC explanation to the above what's the point of having hide in the first place if it's fine to just at will do a search in every room whenever we have private rp. There are also ways to combat sneaking without search with help watch and some other ic means. But besides that being able to sneak in on people is an integral part of the game, and we really don't need a universal anti-hide button.
Starstarfish wrote:Is this per account or by room? Could you ask someone else to peek it over during that timer? Or does that prevent anyone from doing so?
It's 7 ooc days between searches for any PC, and requires a good IC explanation if you want to search the same room again (your character did the best they can already and deemed that there is nothing there).
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

Lei
Discord Handle: Lei#3876

Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:19 pm

Is this per account or by room? Could you ask someone else to peek it over during that timer? Or does that prevent anyone from doing so?
Really, I'm not too interested in whether someone else can look it over for me. I think my character should be able to look behind the curtains and under the bed in a room again after I've spent 8 RL hours away from the game. If this has been set in stone by staff, though, then that's just how it is and I'll deal with it, no worries.
Old As Dirt

Starstarfish

Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:50 pm

Why do you, ICly, even think that someone is hiding there in the first place that you want to comb and search the entire room? OOCLy we know that people can sneak in, but ICly what tipped you off that in the day suddenly the room is riddled with spies?
We do know there's reasons for searching that have nothing to do with finding someone hiding there right? Like that this also the way to search for hidden exits that room descriptions you feel might indicate are there.

Becuase without IC explanation to the above what's the point of having hide in the first place if it's fine to just at will do a search in every room whenever we have private rp.
IC explanation - my character is paranoid and/or has had death threats and/or actions in the past. Or you are up to something shady and trying to get away with it. Or you are a person who knows about sneaking/hiding because you do so yourself. Any list of reasons.

Rothgar

Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:52 pm

Puciek wrote:Why do you, ICly, even think that someone is hiding there in the first place that you want to comb and search the entire room? OOCLy we know that people can sneak in, but ICly what tipped you off that in the day suddenly the room is riddled with spies?

Becuase without IC explanation to the above what's the point of having hide in the first place if it's fine to just at will do a search in every room whenever we have private rp. There are also ways to combat sneaking without search with help watch and some other ic means. But besides that being able to sneak in on people is an integral part of the game, and we really don't need a universal anti-hide button.
Starstarfish wrote:Is this per account or by room? Could you ask someone else to peek it over during that timer? Or does that prevent anyone from doing so?
It's 7 ooc days between searches for any PC, and requires a good IC explanation if you want to search the same room again (your character did the best they can already and deemed that there is nothing there).
Take a chill pill there, friendo, I don't think it's cool to demand IC information on an OOC board. There's roughly ten thousand reasons someone could want to search a room more than once. Especially if you play lawful types. Pays to be suspicious. Don't go jumping to conclusions.

As for the waiting, I think it should be more 24 hours rather than 7 DAYS, which is... What, nearly a month in-game? I mean, that's obscene. Obviously, I don't think people should go spam-searching around for people, but 7 days is more than a little much. Besides, a good IC reason to search again? I spend an hour searching the same twenty places for my keys, but I still keep going back to the same places to look for them.

But yeah, I agree with you, Lei. It's wack that 8 hours is too little time. I can understand the reason, but I don't agree with it.
Rothgar Astartes, Fyurii Rynnya, Nils 'Smith' Mattias, Edward Darson, Curos Arents.

Puciek

Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:59 pm

Starstarfish wrote:
We do know there's reasons for searching that have nothing to do with finding someone hiding there right? Like that this also the way to search for hidden exits that room descriptions you feel might indicate are there.
The look for hidden things was taken care in the first attempt and your character did not find anything. Even if you oocly know that there is a secret there, ICly your PC doesn't.
Starstarfish wrote:
Becuase without IC explanation to the above what's the point of having hide in the first place if it's fine to just at will do a search in every room whenever we have private rp.
IC explanation - my character is paranoid and/or has had death threats and/or actions in the past. Or you are up to something shady and trying to get away with it. Or you are a person who knows about sneaking/hiding because you do so yourself. Any list of reasons.
Poor excuses you mean, or do you check every corner, turn every furniture, check every shade of every single room when you have a private talk because you are paranoid? Because of people with that level of paranoia, at least in the real world, are usually not capable of functioning in on their own in real life, that is how debilitating this level of paranoia is. But for some reasons I do not think this paranoid character displays those traits.

But that aside the reality is that sneak/hide is extremely painful to use, costs 2 master slots and even then is still not only hard to use but also unreliable. What is asked here is a further nerf where anyone can spend 60mv to punish players with those skills even further and that just... doesn't make sense. Especially as there are non-search driven ways to combat sneaking/hiding to make it even worse fo the sneakers.

Puciek

Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:00 pm

Rothgar wrote:
Puciek wrote:Why do you, ICly, even think that someone is hiding there in the first place that you want to comb and search the entire room? OOCLy we know that people can sneak in, but ICly what tipped you off that in the day suddenly the room is riddled with spies?

Take a chill pill there, friendo, I don't think it's cool to demand IC information on an OOC board. There's roughly ten thousand reasons someone could want to search a room more than once. Especially if you play lawful types. Pays to be suspicious. Don't go jumping to conclusions.
Did you actually read my entire post or just wanted to take a shot at me? Otherwise, I struggle to see how did you miss the paragraph that followed the "ask for ic reasons on ooc board" which explained the rhetorical nature.

Starstarfish

Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:08 pm

Why does every post where someone disagrees basically anywhere on the forums need to come with the accusation other people can't read and/or aren't smart. People disagree, it's allowed, unless I'm mistaken.

Puciek

Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:15 pm

Starstarfish wrote:Why does every post where someone disagrees basically anywhere on the forums need to come with the accusation other people can't read and/or aren't smart. People disagree, it's allowed, unless I'm mistaken.
When someone disagrees by mispresenting the post then I am not sure what else is a valid response, more so when it's joined by a personal jab. Just like here you are misrepresenting what I've said by implying that I called Rothgard as not smart or that he can't read, which is not to be found in my post.

• Information