Making craft leveling great again

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Puciek

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:33 am

This is something that has bothered me from the onset of the new crafting system - it's very game-y if you want to level it up efficiently. Some of the recipes are clearly there just for levelling of skills, and I this whole thing quite... counterproductive, forcing to think of OOCly best way to level it instead of crafting and levelling as you go along.
So my fix for that would be quite simple - decide a number of notches you get from a recipe based on a number of materials used in the recipe, not just a fixed sum per craft done. This way there won't need to spam 20 decorations at 2 suede each, but instead, you could make 2 saddles at 10 suede each (numbers made up), saddles which you can also sell and will net you the same amount of skill progression.
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

Helena

Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:08 am

I agree with Puciek on the problem: making so many time the same item to level up is so boring! And it is not sane for the game: there are rooms on the maps filled with dozen copies of the same thing -- obvious proof that somone was grinding there.

I think Puciek's idea worth being studied. I can offer two others:

1) Make craft skill progress when people tool their products. The progression could even be based on how carefully they tool it (presence of various extended desc, etc.)

2) Use a special command to practice a skill:

Code: Select all

craft practice product
. For the command to succeed, one must have the tools, the material, but also coins (let's say the same amounts as would be needed to practice that receipe untils it stops pooling). Once finalized the item could be put in a kind of hall of fame, as a display of one's talent (which could be a simple list of short desc, a container filled with the objects...). The idea here is that it should not be needed to craft any item more than once, but instead, the player will have to ponder what he is crafting with care.

Rabek

Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:08 am

An easier answer would be to just bring Inspiration back.

Doubly beneficial because it lets people RP to improve their skills rather than forcing people to grind.

Removing it remains a bewildering decision.

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:26 pm

What was inspiration?

Rabek

Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:02 pm

It was a resource that pooled as you roleplayed.

It could be spent to pool skills without using them.

It's been a long time since it was around, so I admittedly don't remember a lot of the details, but a way to pool without grind (but still requiring RPXP) seems like it would only encourage roleplay, which is a good thing for TI in my book.

More roleplay, less hiding away spamming skills.

Helena

Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:13 pm

I like the inspiration thing. But maybe its problem was it favours people who play more than the others, which is not a good thing, imho. Maybe could it be balanced, or only a possibility amongst others.

I came to another idea: The goal of the practicing thing is probably to give us the feeling that being skilled takes time, and efforts.
- To focus on the time, we could simply allow people to raise a skill by one rank per week.
- To focus on the effort, the inspiration thing, an RPXP or coin cost could be added.

Taunya

Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:42 pm

I remember being surprised that inspire wasn't around when I came back.

I would guess it was dropped in favor of seeking RP with someone and using the 'teach' system, but I'd be for its return.

• Information