OOC notification about failed sneak

Ideas that have been discussed, approved, and are awaiting implementation.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Helena

Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:36 pm

Hello,

I have witnesses sneak attempts twice:
- the first time, my rp partner suddenly left my room sneaking. I thought he was loooong to write his emote, waited some 20 minutes before noticing the room was empty.
- the second time, someone entered my room sneaking, and only was revealed to me later, while he was "moving" in the room to approach me. I was uncertain about what was happening, and the sneak entrance has not been subject of the rp -- as if it had not happen.

In both occasion, I think an OOC message would have been great:
- when someone leaves the room sneaking, and the sneak succeeds, after 5 minute, a message of the form "XXX appears to have left the room" could be echoed in the room, to inform players.
- when a sneaker is revealed or stop sneaking, a message on the form "XXX suddenly appears" could be echoed, to make it clear to everyone he was sneaking. The sneaker could receive a message in the form "YYY has noticed your presence".

With these kind of messages, people will be able, or will have to, RP about the sneaky fact.

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:49 pm

I completely agree with both the suggestions, and think they would go a long way to helping, since i myself have experienced waiting on someone to pose who left quite sometime ago.
Lurks the Forums

Puciek

Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:25 pm

No real need to give even more noise to sneak/hiders than it has already, leaves it as it is and let RP drive it. If someone just shows up near you and doesn't rp showing up - treat it icly as a very weird thing. If someone just disappears who was in plain sight - even more so. Because how can someone just disappear in the middle of a conversation? Must be magery.

I will add one thing though, when you are on the receiving end of sneaking/invisibility or anything else odd going on - let the person doing something to you emote first, especially if your emote is going to involve the weird-thing-doing person. Otherwise, you may be placing them in a situation where RPing the odd thing is no longer possible so it falls to normal movement.
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

Taunya

Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:39 am

Perhaps /targeting a character in an emote could automatically mark them (see help mark), which would help with the first instance.

The second instance is sneak working as intended, in my opinion. You simply didn't notice them enter the area, or look around and notice them, until they made an obvious move towards you.

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:26 am

In retrospect I don't think the title for this topic is correct. This isn't so much a notification for a failed sneak, but a successful sneak.

Also Puciek, while I get where you are coming from... It's also not fair to a person rping with a sneaking person having to wait there for quite sometime, out of respect no less, only to find their rp partner sneaked off sometime ago. I've had this happen to me many of times, and it gets annoying. Or not even somebody you were rping with, but eventually tried to bring into a scene, yet you only discovered they sneaked out when you're targetting of them fails.

If somebody is not hidden in a room with others, they should be required to pose they are sneaking out.
Lurks the Forums

Puciek

Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:39 am

Voxumo wrote:In retrospect I don't think the title for this topic is correct. This isn't so much a notification for a failed sneak, but a successful sneak.

Also Puciek, while I get where you are coming from... It's also not fair to a person rping with a sneaking person having to wait there for quite sometime, out of respect no less, only to find their rp partner sneaked off sometime ago. I've had this happen to me many of times, and it gets annoying. Or not even somebody you were rping with, but eventually tried to bring into a scene, yet you only discovered they sneaked out when you're targetting of them fails.

If somebody is not hidden in a room with others, they should be required to pose they are sneaking out.
I agree with you 100% that they should pose sneaking out, I am with you there, 100%. But I also don't think that we need to codify it because some instances of that happen, in all likelihood many of those not made in an ill will but simple forgetfulness of having sneak on.

And if this happens a lot, report it with the inquisition, that always was a clear sign of magery and warranted at least questioning when someone just disappears into thin air. Otherwise, we are exposing potentially OOC information about someone who validly snuk out, just to curb something that can be tackled icly.

Just to also clarify some mechanics for people out there who don't have high sneak/hide, by default sneak alone doesn't hide you from "look", it only hides entry/leave notifications, and potentially the thread used to hide inside the room. Anything else, before hide is toggled on, will echo in. So if we were to automatically call people as "suddenly appear" when they come out of sneak, it would essentially kill the idea of sneaking altogether, as hide rarely carries over with movement, even at maxed skills.
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

• Information