Cigars?

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Delphine

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:21 pm

I know we have pipes and hookahs, etc., but I suddenly had the idea about why not cigars? Those were around in the 16th century so they would be period appropriate and... I dunno. It might be nice to give someone a box of cigars. YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO GIVE SOMEONE A CIGAR.

Just random, passing thought. No idea what skill they should go under. Herbalism? Like maybe you would need, uh... a cut sheet of paper and some smoking tabac or COAMJAR or something and then you could craft one.

Obviously low priority :D
Player of that "soulless Vavardi girl" Caterina dul Decapua

Puciek

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:34 pm

A cigar is nothing more than many dried and rolled tobacco leafs and given how expensive is tabac icly, cigars would have to come at house-level prices.

As you mention mixing and paper, maybe you mean cigarettes? But I am not sure why would folk in lithmore opt for the more expensive way to smoke stuff. Cigarettes requiring labour to produce them and extra materials, where simple pipes are generally affordable and you can simply stuff and lit them.
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:42 pm

Tabac is only arguably at insane prices if people are buying stuff from the NPC shops. One can indeed plant and grow their own tabac - perhaps not in huge endlessly quantities but still.

And why you'd want something more expensive is the same as why people want to drink brandy and not cheap 1 silver beer. It's about the RP of being fancy.

Puciek

Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:06 am

It's supposed to be expensive by lore, not just NPC prices as tabac alone is supposed to be a status symbol. And I wasn't kidding that they would have to be somewhere around house prices (or at least a room), as that, is how much more expensive it is to produce them if at all possible with the weather we have in lith.

So if they were to be implemented, I would say they should really be a status symbol and at a silly price from a tubori NPC shop, probably with an option to tool them.
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

Starstarfish

Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:28 am

I can assure you it's possible with a Greenhouse. If tabac is meant to cost that much, either the helpfile and/or on grid prices might need a peek. There's on grid NPC places that sell a pinch for less than ten silver. There's some PC shops that have had them for five. And each pinch is worth four smokes. And a cigar might be more smokes than a pipe but it's likely not worth 50 times more.

So if smoking in general is meant to be more upper class or rare thing than it is now, the current set up needs a look at. Because the lore saying it should be expensive, but the coded price not being so does put a weird sort of hitch in things.

Delphine

Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:43 am

Puciek wrote:A cigar is nothing more than many dried and rolled tobacco leafs and given how expensive is tabac icly, cigars would have to come at house-level prices.

As you mention mixing and paper, maybe you mean cigarettes? But I am not sure why would folk in lithmore opt for the more expensive way to smoke stuff. Cigarettes requiring labour to produce them and extra materials, where simple pipes are generally affordable and you can simply stuff and lit them.
No, I meant cigars. I understand that a cigar is tobacco leaves which have been rolled up and tied together... inside of a wrapper. Historically (in their most primitive form), they were rolled in a larger leaf such as a plantain. But I thought a paper wrapper would be easier to implement rather than a GO AND FORAGE SOMETHING BIG TO USE AS A WRAPPER.

Also, I don't understand your argument about "cigars would be expensive." So? I didn't suggest their implementation because they would be cheap. Indeed, they would be a status symbol, probably for the upper-class rather than for a freeman. We have an entire culture (Vavardi) based off the idea that it's a good and fashionable thing to flaunt how wealthy you are. Luxury items are hardly a foreign concept.

It was legit just a passing idea. I think it would just be another thing that could add some flavor to certain RP. I enjoy props. I didn't realize it'd turn into an argument.

Yes, tabac can be expensive. Yes, you can grow tabac in a greenhouse and it's less expensive. Yes, cigars in general would be expensive.

EDIT: Also, in case no one noticed my suggestion about being able to put other smokable herbs into a cigar, my overall suggestion is that: if you can smoke it, why not be able to craft it into a cigar? So you could have tabac cigars, coamjar cigars... as a newbie, I'm not sure if there's anything else to smoke. So insert other smokeables here if there are.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:03 pm

TI technology is generally 13-15th century.

HELP TECHNOLOGY

Delphine

Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:34 am

Kinaed wrote:TI technology is generally 13-15th century.

HELP TECHNOLOGY
Wellllll, I mean, if we want to get all technical, tobacco itself wasn't introduced to Europe until the 16th century as well as it was a New World import. And we have tabac. So, TECHNICALLY, someone could get the bright idea to bundle up the leaves into a portable package that wouldn't require anything else beyond something to light it with.

But like I said, it was a passing idea. It's not any big deal. I'm not going to cry over it if other people don't like it.

I'm more interested in my other idea I suggested (that of multiple stamps... which would be harder to implement, I'm sure), if we're going to be completely honest. But as I said in a previous post, I thought this might be fun and add another luxury item/prop into the game.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:27 am

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I don't like the idea. Tobacco existed amongst the Native Americans long before being introduced to Europe, and we have a pseudo Native American/Uighur fantasy culture called the Charali, so that brings things like that into scope.

My correction regarding the technology was mostly on the basis that I didn't want a dozen renaissance ideas to pop up because I let everyone think 16th century technology is where we're at.

Starstarfish

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:38 am

Going with Kinaed's thoughts, indeed a cigar type roll of tobacco into other leaves is originally how Columbus reported the Tainos of Cuba smoked tobacco when he first encountered it.
Smoking in pipes actually came after, arguably, historically/technology wise.

I think one thought would be - could we add an @smoke of some kind (or is there already one and I'm a noob) so that if we did have a cigar type item, or even with the smoking items one can craft now people could indeed give them a custom taste? With a druggist asset now, it would be cool if someone could indeed be a smoke shop with things customized with tastes, etc.

• Information