Limiting Rumor Circles

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:01 pm

If staff are going to be focusing down on replies to rumors that are reported as "Unthematic" based on the circle that rumor is posted under, Then I believe the logical step should be limiting the purchase of rumors based on circles. IE A gentry should not be able to purchase a rumor under the Nobility Circle, and likewise Nobility should not be able to purchase a rumor under the Gentry Circle. Though those outside of said circles could still get the rumors, but it would have to be done by sharing the rumor, which is likely a very underused command

IE a freemen who maybe is friends with a gentry could bring it up in conversation like this
"So what's this recent bit of Gossip I hear floating about the gentry? Something about (Insert reference to Subject)? You know more about it?" This allows them to start the request for a rumor based on the subject alone, which is the only thing one is able to see under rumor all.

This encourages the sharing of rumors, which encourages rp, yet also prevents staff from getting as many unthematic reports as frankly if a gentry is replying to a gentry circle rumor, then whatever views expressed by said gentry, even if going against the grain, would be considered thematic, if possibly the oddball. A self-hating gentry would still be the valid views of a gentry.

This of course would also apply to guilds and races.
Lurks the Forums

Puciek

Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:42 pm

But spreading rumours doesn't have to be related to your character at all, so why would there be a limitation to what rumours you can purchase? I can play a freeman, but I can perfectly fine also rumour promote as a noble on OOC level.

Also really not a fan of the "rp" it adds, where you go and meta-gamely go and ask for a rumour on a specific topic. If you don't know the rumour, how do you know to ask for it? Rumours about rumours? How else to explain it.

We generally have too few rumour mongrels, not too many. And this would limit them further.
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

Andruid

Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:04 pm

I agree that rumor tell # is probably underused. Whenever I'm in a scene and I'm able to post a rumor about what just happened, I usually try to share it with everyone who was present before they leave. Often, when I ICly ask for the "latest news" or the "most recent gossip about X," a person doesn't know that I'm trying a signal a rumor share. I typically have to mention something OOCly a pose or two later, which is always awkward.

I don't think the pbase is large enough to promote the kind of sharing proposed by Voxumo, however.

As I have pointed out elsewhere, part of the problem of unthematic rumors probably has to do with the fact that when you first learn a rumor, you don't see all the extra info, including its circle. So it's very easy to log in, receive your daily freebie, and jump in with a response... only to realize later that you've completely mucked up the circle.

Puciek

Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:07 pm

And it also wasn't really explained before about the circles and how they are supposed to work. I am a helpfile addict, but I've only learned that through talking with folk OOCly. So maybe a simple PSA about rumour sharing as players is in order? Those generally work well in helping stir things up.
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

Delphine

Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:54 pm

Andruid wrote:As I have pointed out elsewhere, part of the problem of unthematic rumors probably has to do with the fact that when you first learn a rumor, you don't see all the extra info, including its circle. So it's very easy to log in, receive your daily freebie, and jump in with a response... only to realize later that you've completely mucked up the circle.
I think an easy fix (well, I say easy; no idea how easy it would be to code) would be that when you buy a rumor, it shows its circle. I know you can just look at the rumor all list and see the circle, but in the above example with the daily freebie it might cut back on the issue of unthematic responses.

Otherwise, I think it's fairly easy to look at the circle and know, "Okay, if this is a Vavardi-only circle, maybe I shouldn't be replying with how all Vavardi are disease-ridden whores and should go hop on the next pox-ridden cart back to Vavard." Of course, as talked about in the OOC meeting: it's totally acceptable that different people in a circle would have a differing view, so long as it was still themely. For example, there's probably going to be some freemen who think they should keep their heads down and be good underlings. And then there's probably going to be some freemen who think the upper class should lick their boots for a change.

But there's probably not going to be a noble griping in a noble-only rumor circle about how nobles are all rich snobs and should go piss off.
Player of that "soulless Vavardi girl" Caterina dul Decapua

Misstery

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:58 pm

I think further explanation on what the circles represent in the help files would help and encourage folks to post rumours. I recall there have been RP guides and such tossed around over time, maybe something similar for how to spread gossip would be helpful. Give people some examples and such, and at the same time address theme.

Andruid

Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:50 pm

Delphine wrote:I think an easy fix (well, I say easy; no idea how easy it would be to code) would be that when you buy a rumor, it shows its circle. I know you can just look at the rumor all list and see the circle, but in the above example with the daily freebie it might cut back on the issue of unthematic responses.
I've suggested this elsewhere on the forums. In the same thread that led to the changes in rumor Subject, I believe. It's not just limited to the daily freebie, either -- when you rumor purchase, it's the same deal. You don't see the circle.

(Not sure about learning via rumor tell.)

I doubt it would be a very difficult fix, but likely isn't high priority ATM.

Andruid

Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:03 pm

Y'all might also find this post helpful:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1248#p8109

Delphine

Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:08 am

Andruid wrote:Y'all might also find this post helpful:

My only note on that post is that rumor quash doesn't exactly work the way it is described there. Perhaps it once did. But you can't use rumor quash to comment on a rumor as it is suggested in that post (at least I have never been able to).

It's otherwise a great read, though!
Player of that "soulless Vavardi girl" Caterina dul Decapua

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:32 am

Delphine wrote:
Andruid wrote:Y'all might also find this post helpful:

My only note on that post is that rumor quash doesn't exactly work the way it is described there. Perhaps it once did. But you can't use rumor quash to comment on a rumor as it is suggested in that post (at least I have never been able to).

It's otherwise a great read, though!
Wow... I hadn't realized how new to the game you were. Yeah you used to be able to quash rumors with a comment. It's really a rather new change
Lurks the Forums

• Information