Combat Issues & Bugs

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Taunya

Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:23 am

I haven't had much experience with restrain/arrest, but could the 'shoulder' command like is used against 'guard' be used to escape it? I believe that currently combat is the only way to resist arrest/restrain, even if you intend to flee. And you cannot initiate combat with a flee command, it has to be an attack, which as others have said puts characters in an awkward situation.

Puciek

Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:42 am

You cannot flee out of restraint without attacking first, at least that's how it worked two years ago, didn't get bound in a while. Which is why I always had the take I've explained above on the arrest and how it works, because it required for you to attack first.
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

Famine

Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:15 pm

Temi wrote:Arrest or restrain is not physically having someone to arrest them. It's initiating the intent to arrest them and asking the code to start mediating that attempt. Someone can flee from such an attempt, but it's not the same as just walking away - someone is trying to grab them. Thus, it should use the flee code rather than being able to just leave. I do think there's a sticky point in the indication to transition from 'deciding how to react' to resisting, but fleeing is a decision to resist and should have rolls associated with it, not just auto-succeeds.
That makes sense. I think my issue is that the use of flee here is using an entirely separate system to accomplish it. The system itself would be the combat system in which you have to flee from (if I'm not mistaken in the chain of events here).

I guess my ultimate idea and question would be: why not completely detach combat system from it and add a specific handler for resisting within the arrest / restrain system? That way checks/rolls can be entirely separated from combat all together and allowing someone to physically restrain a victim with force?

To me, it absolutely makes sense that those checks you mentioned Temi need to happen, just not with combat (assuming that's what you meant). Maybe entirely separate from combat where the person who passes the resist checks (if entirely separate) can still run and the arresting party has to manually attack them on the chase.

That being said, if they fail the checks to resist (by typing arrest resist or by moving away), then it should be physically restraining the victim as opposed to them entering combat. This would simulate someone trying to resist by running or trying to attack, but failing because the arresting party was able to subdue them completely. Then if the victim does not want to risk the checks succeeding (i.e.: by not typing arrest resist), they can also resist by straight up attacking first after the arrest warning flashes.

Just my 2 cents on the idea. Interesting debate. :D

• Information