Improvements to Rumor System

Ideas that have been discussed, approved, and are awaiting implementation.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Lei
Discord Handle: Lei#3876

Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:01 pm

You're probably right. But I really, really dislike it. =P
Old As Dirt

Andruid

Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:04 pm

That's fair!

So, basically, with this string idea... here's how it's working out in my head: instead of making an OOC decision to purchase a rumor based on a list of coded character names, you would be making an IC decision to purchase a rumor based on ICly available information. All the information would be considered IC, just like the "source" input, which already accepts phrases. Thus, no OOC rule would be required because it would all be considered IC. Would this help reduce some of the fuzziness? It's possible that it might create more problems that actually need more stipulations in the rules, so I'll let others chime in while I ruminate on it...

Lei
Discord Handle: Lei#3876

Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:19 pm

Right, right! IC treatment of the subjects. That's a better direction.

This is the part I'm squeamish about, but you're probably correct about, and bugs me to no end:
I think the simplest explanation is that whatever is shared in the subject is shared ICly along with the rumor, through whatever vNPC is doing the sharing. That's it. Just more information being passed along -- that's your ICly traceable path...
But. Whatevs. Good talk. :D
Old As Dirt

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:53 pm

I think we should just remove the subject of the rumor, so I've put forth a note to Az on that.

The other items are a bit more involved, so going to sit on them for now.

Andruid

Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:19 pm

Tossing around other ideas...

I would like it if it were easier to share the contents of a rumor with an entire room (possibly silently), such as in cases where the details associated with a rumor are being discussed in a tavern and most people, conceivably, could overhear it. Or, when I've just engaged in something rumor worthy and added a rumor, I'd like to be able to share it with the whole room so that people aren't forced to purchase the rumor they were there to experience in the first place and should already know about.

Also, as it stands, it's very awkward to ICly request a rumor tell from someone. Almost always, I have to follow up with an OOC explanation, often with a reference to the helpfile so that they have access to the syntax. I'm hoping that the upcoming changes to rumor subject will aid in that somewhat, but anything else that could help make things less awkward (and make osays less necessary) would be appreciated.

Andruid

Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:56 pm

Just wanted to say that I really dig the new rumor output/freeform subject and thanks to Az for getting everything sorted this past week.

• Information