Gift wrapping suggestion

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

SilverMoon

Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:19 am

Okay so I'm not sure if this belongs here... or another thread or someplace completely different.
Please feel free to buffet it about as you wish.
So with the new art system coming in to play, I thought I might pop in a suggestion, so that you are able to wrap gifts.
I suggest this for several reasons, well... two at the moment, perhaps I will think of others later.
1. Some might say, well we don't need that feature, we can just buy a courier's box, and retool it. however, in order to do that, one has to buy a box, then the last time I checked, this may have changed, you then have to pay the price it took for you to buy it.
So if you bought a courier's box from the post office for 26 silver, you have to pay another 26 silver, just to retool it. It's a bit unwieldy.
2. The second reason being, if something we're intending to give to a person is in a container, then it's hard to judge.
For example, I had a gift that came in a container. it was very hard for me to judge, which size box would fit the container, and then I had to take in to consideration the tooling costs as well.
So my suggestion for the gift wrapping is this.
That perhaps, in the art thing, you can have one of the craftable things be gift wrap.
Once you make it, you can tool it however you wish, then use a command like wrap *gift item* which would wrap the gift in the paper you made.
It's really simple.
then to unwrap it, you could do something like unwrap gift *emote here* so you can emote wripping the paper apart, or carefully peeling it apart, whatever you like.
I hope this all makes sense, that you will take it under consideration.
Thank you so very much for taking time to read this.
I truly do appreciate it.

Temi

Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:11 pm

I don't know that paper gift wrap is really medieval-feeling at all, but I would like to point out that boxes are something that can be made with papercraft/art now - you don't have to retool courier's boxes, and the papercrafter can tool it up nicely to a gift box.

SilverMoon

Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:40 pm

oh? But I thought the only way you can do courier boxes with the paper craft is if your paper crafting skill is way up there. That, and in the art help file, it says it can only make cards and ledgers, or bindings to fix ledgers. So... I'm not sure on that whole thing. Thank you so much for your quick reply. :)

Haley Rose

Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:06 pm

I love the idea. I think actually unwrapping gifts would be loads of fun, but yes, to my knowledge, I'm not certain they had gift wrap back then with paper not being quite so common and rather expensive, to my knowledge. Seems like they'd not really waste it just to be torn apart. But the idea is still a fun one. I had the same thought myself last week, so you're not the only one. There's just something festive about unwrapping things. I played a game where you could wrap presents, and it felt very fun and real.

As to the art / papercrafting skill, you need rank 21 I think it is for huge huge boxes, but smaller ones aren't too bad. You just need some paper pulp. If you're not a merchant, just have someone teach you the skill to 3 or so, and then you can pool it on your own I believe.

To make the boxes, you type "craft paper hold" and then the box name. Art paper / repair / ledger is a bit different, and takes more pulp I think. I use "craft paper hold" more than art anything myself.

SilverMoon

Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:11 pm

Well then, instead of using paper since that's not too themely, we could compromise and make it out of a different material?
I mean, because it's just a cool idea if I do say so myself.
On top of which, if you're giving a gift that's already in a container, as I posted before, it's hard to judge, which box will fit that container.
Anyways, yeah I agree there is something really festive about wrapping gifts, and both giving and opening them.
Just my thoughts, thanks.

Andruid

Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:13 pm

There are a lot of aspects to TI that aren't really medieval but have found their way into theme because they're compelling or fun or because they make things special. This seems like such a minor issue, I wouldn't discourage anyone from pursuing gift-wrapped boxes through the current papercrafting/tooling system, and quite frankly, I intend to use them, myself -- though, my character can afford to be extravagant and wasteful with paper. ;)

Art may change things up a bit, though. I suppose we'll find out soon enough!

SilverMoon

Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:42 pm

yes, which is why I thought, being able to make gift wrap via the art system would be nice.
I know it is not strictly themely, but then as said above, there are many things that got encorporated, either for convenience, for fun, or just because.
So I thought, this might be one thing.
it is a minor thing in my mind as well, and as I outlined above, it can be a really simple mechanic.
Thanks!!!

• Information