Cloaks: Someone versus A Person

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Haley Rose

Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:16 am

Now that cloaking is not instantly supposed to be associated with nefarious intentions, I enjoy using them to feel more realistic in the cold / rain. However, "a person wearing insert cloak string here" read back to me with each movement made is awfully spammy, especially when you must listen to it as opposed to visually scanning through it. It will not knock down the spam by much more than one syllable, but instead of "a person", can we have the output changed to read "someone" instead? Or, perhaps, an option to shorten cloak output for users who desire it. I.E. "someone cloaked" or "a cloaked individual" or "a cloaked person", toggleable off and on at will? It would make movement while fully cloaked much less irritating.

Thanks for reading this.

Haley Rose

Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:20 am

Or, another fix for screen reader users using jaws is to use the dictionary manager.

Open the dictionary manager
Add
Enter your own cloak string
Set the output to sound like whatever you need it to
Save

It would still be great if staff would consider this for those not using the software / those who'd like the spam cutdown as well, however.

Zeita

Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:05 pm

I concur that having a 'brief' version for cloaks and masks would be handy. One of the major problems with 'mask and cloak' masquerade parties, for example, is the overwhelming spam and trying to find the keywords in a sea of text.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:46 pm

It's problematic to do that if there are two cloaked people in a room though - how do we know cloak1 and cloak2 are different people when talking?

Love the idea, just needs a bit more thought/fleshing out.

Haley Rose

Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:09 pm

Hmmm. Didn't think of that. 28 cloaked individuals and suddenly the room starts looking like dementors gone wild, TI:L style.

I tentatively suggest, perhaps, adding a "brief" string to the cloak itself, perhaps? So that perhaps the input and output could look something like.
tool cloak ed add @brief

cloaked in blue

Output:

an individual cloaked in blue

Perhaps a fifteen character maximum for brief strings? Something along those lines?

Tailors may hate adding yet another string, but it may be the only way to individualize while still being brief.

• Information