Game Snares

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Haley Rose

Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:43 pm

Could snares be introduced in the game for characters who live primarily in the wilderness? If you get into a fight with a deer, you might be out of commission for a few ooc days, and snares would still enable you to catch smaller game like hares, nixies, ground birds, etc. This might also be good for those who aren't skilled in any form of combat.

Perhaps success can be based upon intelligence for knowing how to make a snare and dexterity, the ability to tie strong knots / build the snare so that it triggers correctly.

There would, of course, be limitations. Anyone could come by and snag your kill. Sometimes the snares may be triggered but the game gets away. Snares can only be triggered once before needing to be built again.

The materials to be used could vary, but I feel they should be all natural. Either a flexible wooden stick or two branches, two lengths of vine and perhaps a flat stone to give the stones some more use. I recently read a tutorial on building snares. The vine would signify the noose and, perhaps, the trip wire, if you will. The branches could represent the part of the snare that is staked into the ground to keep it steady and I read that if you don't have a sappling to bend over and act as an engine, you could use a heavy stone which would serve as a counterweight.

This is the tutorial I read.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/03/2 ... val-snare/

This could also be added to husbandry skill, though I'm not entirely certain it would really fit.

Thoughts?

Taunya

Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:57 am

Ah, that's something that I brought up in an OOC meeting once, but forgot to post about here.

To copy/paste my ideas from that:
Mundane snares/traps would be neat to have, since the mages got something like that.
Some example would be caltrops that do a little damage, a snare that could possibly trap animals when they walk into a room, reducing the damage they can do, and maybe something that will send an RP yell to adjacent rooms when someone enters.

I wouldn't suggest snares working against players, but the other two should.

• Information