Separating plant/tend/harvest from Herbalism

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Dice

Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:23 pm

As it is right now, I'm pretty sure you can tend/harvest anything that isn't exotic/rare/a novelty before 36, so it should be very doable to get it up to 36 and still play a gardener, farmer, etc. I think the status quo on this one is fine!

Temi

Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:54 am

There are no flowers and only a couple of non-exotic fruits (lingonberries, gooseberries) that take more than 36 skill to grow. All of the non-medicinal recipes that use those fruits have other alternatives that could be used instead. It is entirely possible to grow everything you might need as a florist or farmer with less than 36 skill. And as a florist, there are concoct recipes to make stuff from flowers up to 36 skill as well.

The stuff that chandlers need are actually stuff created from concoct recipes, not just harvested from plants, so this idea doesn't help them at all. Those were intended as cross-craft dependencies, but I know players hate depending on each other and instead take this as a requirement for chandlers to also be herbalists which is not the truth of the system, but instead a self-imposed requirement. That said, I should make sure these ingredients are available through the restock system based on city metrics if I didn't already...

In the end, I didn't design the system with having it in mind that merchants would not have access past 36 skill, but did adjust some once it was decided it should be a physicians guildskill (and later thieves). I don't think it's a problem that non-physician, non-thieves can't get it past 36 generally. I do think it would make more sense if it was easier for characters to get from 0 to 1 outside of those guilds. The skill was arranged so that it's pretty guild-specific at later levels, but there's a lot of general stuff mixed in earlier on, whereas with a lot of guildskills the low level stuff is also guild-specific, just guild-specific such that dabblers can usurp some of it. I wouldn't have an issue if we removed this as a guildskill, but I don't think it needs done either.

I think that is a different issue than separating the plant system from herbalism. Plants may be able to stand on their own without concoct, but concoct is not designed to stand on its own. Separating the skills out would really hurt the training of those who do use concoct. I think the connection is sensible, and especially in a medieval world, creating medicines would require growing the right plants yourself, knowing a healthy plant, knowing the right parts to use. Just buying the ingredients wouldn't be the standard expectation of the role. Similarly, it wouldn't be crazy that those who grow plants know how to use them. So while we could separate the skills, I don't think we need to, and I think we are better off not doing so. It's less skills we need to deal with and balance, something we have been trying to with other skills (husbandry includes butcher stuff too, for example.) And it's more skills players have to juggle in learn slots, xp, etc.

• Information