Stone skipping

Ideas that have been discussed, approved, and are awaiting implementation.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Taunya

Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:22 am

So I was sitting in front of a pond, and remembered a fun little game from the original TI.

There was a 'skip' command. It used the small stones from forage, and when in a room with a water source, you could skip them.
I believe based on dex, maybe luck, and a random roll. It'd give a message like (Character) tosses a stone at (lake/pond/river), skipping it (number) times before it (sinks/reaches the opposite side).

Simple little game, but it was a lot of fun. I'd love to have it back if possible.

Pixie

Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:26 pm

Would love this.

Noobus

Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:12 pm

I would too!
Zellos Syllus, Beorhtmund ab Gladnor, Jemven Lynilin

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:27 am

I will create the game and post it as it seems like a fun IC diversion for people to meet over. Any suggestions on how it might work?

I'm thinking that a player might get to select stones based on smoothness, flatness, and weight, and depending on what they select, their luck and dexterity, etc, they'd get a semi-random result to compare with their friends. Happy to hear other suggestions to make a nice little mini-game of it.

Maybe it ought to use foragable stones to tie in with another system in the game?

Or it can just be totally random like rolling dice. Opinions?

Taunya

Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:02 pm

I was thinking just forage, but I really like the idea of having different types of stones, some types being more effective than others!
I think it might add a bit too much clutter adding a bunch of other stone types to forage for this though. How about a compromise:

If the character already has stones from forage in their inventory, it will use those, and be rather effective.
If the character doesn't have any stones, it adds an extra step to find a suitable rock to a threaded process of skipping- more likely to find a stone with the same or less effectiveness, but still a chance to find a stone better than the foragable type.
If there's 5 types of stones ranked from worst to best, foragable could be a 4 perhaps? if 1-10, more like a 7.

It could give some strategy to stone skipping competitions too- do you forage for consistent 'rather good' stones, or do you try your luck and try to beat the others by hoping you find better stones?

Haley Rose

Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:16 pm

This sounds like loads of fun. I like Taunya's suggestion. I also would like to see the foragable stones have some use other than for pooling low levels.

• Information