Hide Thread

Ideas that have been discussed, approved, and are awaiting implementation.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Leech

Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:03 am

Could hide be an instant command rather than threaded? It'd be a huge buff for thieves, and encourage more aggression for spies, assassins, and general antagonists.

Edit: Also, could setting my action be something that doesn't ping to everyone when I'm hidden?
Player of: Alexander ab Courtland

Leech

Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:26 pm

Further testing: I've had people see my hide thread on this message: A person wearing a hooded cloak of black linen, dramatically full in its cut conceals itself as best as possible.

And then, of course, I'm hidden so they can't see me without the search command. A little immersion breaking/frustrating for all parties involved.

In line with the search command: if you search a room you can't search it a second time. This makes it stupidly impossible to find anyone hidden in a room because the search thread is so long and drawn out that by the time you start it, I can have sneaked five rooms away, and then come back after you're done -- and then you're fucked because you can't do it again.

Edit: Also, this whole thing encourages spamming 'look', which is such a stupid (and impossible) thing for staff to police in the first place. Why not instead cut out the middle man, make hide and search instant commands that run through their same old checks, and have the problem solved?
Player of: Alexander ab Courtland

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:59 pm

Seems buggy, though I'm not sure if this could just be because of low skill failures. Thank you for reporting it.

I'm going to ask Takta to review it and make fix recommendations.

Sabrelon

Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:51 pm

As an aside: Hide seems significantly harder to train than sneak, as you have to hide over and over again from one room to the next. Is it intentional/would it be possible for the skill to persist from one room to another, and pool based on how much movement you can do while staying hidden?

Kinaed

Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:06 am

Hmm. We seem to have erred on the side of what hide would physically be like. Honestly, we probably ought to replace hide and sneak with a generi stealth skill that does both and persisits through movement. *ponder*

Haley Rose

Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:15 am

Is stealth still a thing on the metaphorical docket?

Kinaed

Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:33 pm

Yes, it just hasn't been actioned yet. We, er, have a very long list of things to focus on...

• Information