Cups and Shots of Booze

Ideas that have been discussed, approved, and are awaiting implementation.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Inertia

Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:58 am

May we please add recipes to brewing that let us convert casks or bottles to cups and shots of the various drinks?

I think this would make selling drinks a lot more useful both as a brewer/innkeep and as a buyer/hostess.

- No more group events where people are slurping booze directly from casks! Though yes, I've gotten around this in the past by using a cup short description, and others have added emotes when they drink.

- Fewer objects floating around in game! I spend a lot of time replacing cups that never make it back to my tavern, in spite of a permanent mood asking people to put them in the empties bin, the occasional WHO title asking the same, and even IC messengers sent after people when the empties list doesn't match up to my sales receipts. I understand that people forget, or they don't want to waste unfinished liquor before leaving, but it ends up being a lot of hassle for something I'm not actually making much if any profit on. NPC drinks are usually really cheap and while cup objects tend to hold more liquor, I still have to price drinks as low as possible to encourage sales.

- One step closer to better cost:profit ratios on a marketable craft! Related to the above point, the cost and trouble that goes into all the different parts of making a drink isn't necessarily covered by what you actually get paid for the drink itself, especially when considering the fact that various liquors have different sizes.

TL;DR; May we please have brewing recipes that allow us to convert drinks to cup and shot sizes? When people buy drinks, most often it's in a cup from a tavern, occasionally as a bottle for gifts or picnics, or casks for large events. Adding these recipes would be an immense help in making brewing a marketable skill.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:35 pm

I don't see a downside to this; happy to see it go in. Now I just need to get a staff member with availability to do it...!

BattleJenkins

Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:05 pm

I'm really surprised it doesn't work this way already! I would also like to see this make it in!

Temi

Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:39 pm

I'm afraid that this is not a scalable solution. As we have things set up now, this would require an additional recipe for everything you can put in a cup. And adding any new drink would take three to four recipes each. Will we want sample sizes next?

I'd suggest considering changing what our drink containers are. For example, make them a set of glasses which is a tool to create discard on empty drinks from a liquid until it is gone. The cup creates the size and short description and the source creates the liquid and taste and 'additives'. Then adding a new drink size becomes a single new object of that size and we can get rid of all the bottle pouring recipes.

Dice

Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:03 pm

Perhaps code is what we need here.

A command like split for drinks that makes the new drink pieces retoolable?

Applesauce

Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:54 pm

Dice wrote:Perhaps code is what we need here.

A command like split for drinks that makes the new drink pieces retoolable?
Agreed. I think the existing recipes that JUST make bottles are already kinda cumbersome, rather not see more like it.

(verb) cask bottles: makes N bottles with 8 "drinks" worth
(verb) cask cups: makes 2N cups with 4 "drinks" worth
(verb) cask shots: makes 8N shots with 1 "drink" worth

As a homebrewer "bottle" is the verb I'd use, but maybe it's too weird applying that to cups and shots. "Convert" or "transfer" seem a bit generic......... Dunno what a good command name would be.

Edit: Or what Temi said about the sizer object that can convert stuff, that's good too ;)

Inertia

Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:05 pm

I like the idea of making split work with drinks most of all, actually, especially if the split pieces are toolable. I'm all kinds of code ignorant but since this exists already for food, hopefully it wouldn't be too much work to add for drinks?

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:02 am

Have we resolved this with a direction? I seem to recall staff made a decision about it and it just hasn't been actioned ... but I can't remember what it was. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me.

Temi

Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:01 am

No decision was ever made on this, except that cups and shots recipes for all of our alcohols is not feasible.

Haley Rose

Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:05 pm

I'd love to see split work for drinks as well, especially if the split items were retoolable. Bottle has x units in it. You can then split off to shots or cups as you need them. And as Inersha said, since it's already in for food, perhaps it would be easier to implement for drinks.

• Information