Marriage bann automation

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Zeita

Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:57 pm

Hi all,

As a frequent (but not current) player of Order characters, one of the sticking points is often around banns. It is my opinion that the current setup requires too many touch points around bann reposting and I would like to see this streamlined.

My ideal setup would be to build a system around bann management.

1) Couple that wants to marry goes to the clergy member, clergy interviews them to ensure they're appropriate.
2) If the priest is happy he issues a command 'bann character1 character2 kickoff'.
3) This will then create a login notice 'New banns have been released' similar to the current new bounties or new rumor logon messages, and anyone could go to any room tagged appropriately (churches, etc) to review current banns.
4) Anyone can lodge a protest which would pause the timer until it is reviewed by the priests who can either renew the bann countdown or reject the engagement process.
5) If there are no protests, the bann ticker continues moving along and automatically produces bann 2, bann 3 and notifies when the bann period is over.
6) The couple can then marry as per usual as per availability etc.

Dice

Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:05 pm

Hey, this is great! An elegant solution to a common problem, when a priest approves banns and then disappears before it's time to post 2 or 3. Totally in favor.

Bennie

Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:24 pm

I've thought about something like this once or twice, and always dismissed it without public comment as something that would need to be coded that brought little to the game save allowing some of us Order-maining players to be a bit lazier in making sure we switched banns out on time, etc.

Dice brings up the good point that it might help with the issue of priest disappearances and marriages left in limbo, not only from the player side of getting banns resolved on time regardless of the priest's activity, but also for a priest who picks up a half-finished marriage case with no records (I am plenty guilty of not keeping good records on my cases, so I can't complain, but I've also had to pick up cases halfway through banns with no notes on any potential issues in the couple-- or the lack thereof).

In the end, I certainly am not opposed to the idea, maybe even for it.. but I respect my own former feelings on the matter. In the end, better record keeping in the Order and the perennial wish for better activity on the part of the players in it is the only real solution to these problems. Coded stuff is only band-aids (that's not to say a band-aid wouldn't be nice, though).

• Information