Pull Color Strings From Objects

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Inertia

Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:20 am

You can already get the game to print out color strings on IC and OOC notes. Would it be possible, then, to add a command that allows you to pull color strings from an object?

Maybe use the term examine for the command as right now it's only used as a synonym for look. So something like...

examine fancy

$n examines a fancy item that has lots of color codes in its short desc.

Object Names: item fancy color codes
Object Short: {wa {Wf{Da{wn{Wc{Dy {Yi{yt{De{Ym {yt{Dh{Ca{ct {Dh{Ca{cs {Dl{Ro{rt{Ds {Ro{rf {Dc{Mo{ml{Do{Mr {mc{Do{Gd{ge{Ds {Gi{gn {Di{Bt{bs {Ds{Bh{bo{Dr{Wt {wd{De{ws{wc{x
Object Long : This is one faaaaancy item.
Object Extra Description: fancy
{W Here's a fancypants extra description, with {Ccolor codes {Wviewable. Whee!{x

Cellan

Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:31 am

+1,000,000,000

quanin

Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:22 am

Waitasec. You can pull colour codes from notes already? Why have I not heard of this?

Also: yes, please.

Applesauce

Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:05 pm

I love and also anti-love this idea.

I think it's great because it's crazy helpful and of course would benefit crafters as well as people who just forgot what extra descs and other stuff is on their items.

I think it's less great because you're not only examining your own items. For sake of argument, say you have a necklace. It's got a short and long desc, and maybe an extra desc so when you "look necklace" it goes into detail about the pretty bauble hanging from the chain. Then if you "look bauble" you get a secret inscription or recipe for poison or see that it can be opened with stuff hidden in it, or whatever.

If that necklace is on a criminal or mage, whoever does the eq search MIGHT follow that path and find out the secret, or they might miss it. If they can just "examine" and everything gets dumped out, it's kinda a freebie. This is also why I didn't want the "tool clone" thing to let you SEE everything, but rather just use whatever's there.

I don't know how to fix it, or whether the bad part is really that bad, or whether the good part outweighs it (probably does), but figured it was worth mentioning.

Inertia

Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:10 pm

Applesauce brings up a valid point. While I actually like the idea of hidden extra descriptions that can be set as players, that could be its own thread; for this one, I'd be ecstatic over just having the option of pulling code from a short string.

Cellan

Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:52 am

Could we not get around the whole secret extra desc thing (which is a valid point) by having a command that was something like, 'view colour <item>'?

• Information