persistent sleeping bodies

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Brent

Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:05 pm

I've seen this on other muds and I think it would work out well here on TI. Basically, you leave a sleeping body behind when you're not logged in. I know that some people will be opposed to this but I think it would go a long ways towards realism.

Currently when not logged in we assume the character is off doing 'normal everyday tasks' like eating, sleeping, working, etc but that doesn't really take abduction, theft and other crime into account.

Way too often a criminal breaks into a player home and cnotes that "no one was home, got away scott free" or something along those lines when realistically someone would have been sleeping in the bedroom they looted.

At the same time, it's impossible to abduct a character while the player isn't logged in (because the body doesn't exist). Again, I think this is unrealistic. If someone wants to break into my home in the middle of the night and smack me over the head with a frying pan to cart me away.. the should be able to.

What say you?

Dice

Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:55 am

Noooope noooope nope nope nope nope. (That being my first, instinctual reaction.)

This gives me the heebie-jeebies so hard, man. I do not like the idea of people being able to do things to PCs when the players are not around. It's almost an invitation for policy trouble, and it also doesn't make sense from the realism angle.
1) With 4-1 time, nobody sleeps THAT much;
2) When you're sleeping, you can be awoken. If people are stealing from/kidnapping/etc. people who are asleep, why aren't they waking up? It really takes away your fair chance to react in a scene, and that's not at all kosher to me.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:31 am

Though I understand the appeal of being able to describe what happens when a player is sleeping, I don't like downtime occurrences that can negatively affect a player when they are not around. To me, it makes the game a hint too arbitrary and takes away player initiative. Also, I think the whole point of RP is to experience the context of what has happened to your character - a kidnapping scene is too exciting to be hand waived.

I appreciate where this suggestion is coming from, but I don't think I'm ready to embrace it.

• Information